The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 8th, 2024

Today is International Literacy Day, National Ampersand Day, National Iguana Awareness Day, and Grandparents Day

I have tried to know absolutely nothing about a great many things, and I have succeeded fairly well. - Robert Benchley

Meal Suggestion for today - Jalapeno Popper Burgers
Drink of the Day - Midori Colada
Wine of the Day - Campo Viejo Tempranillo
Destination of the Day - Icy Strait Point, Alaska, US

Today in History:
1504 Michelangelo's Statue of David is unveiled in Florence
1565 1st permanent European settlement in the US founded at St. Augustine, Florida
2022 Queen Elizabeth II dies at Balmoral Castle after ruling for 70 years, as the UK's longest-serving monarch. Her eldest son inherits the throne as King Charles III.

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska   eta 09-09  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
At Sea Destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska   eta 09-09  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier
Vancouver, Canada   0700-1600  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Civitavecchia-Rome
At Sea Destination Portland, England   eta 09-09  

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Whittier, Alaska   0100-1930  

Oosterdam --- 11 days, one-way from Piraeus-Athens to Barcelona
Piraeus (Athens), Greece   0700-1600  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Rotterdam
Reykjavik, Iceland   -ovn--1700  

Volendam --- 10 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston
Halifax, Nova Scotia   0700-1600  

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
At Sea Destination Dutch Harbor, Alaska   eta 09-10  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Glacier Bay, Alaska   0700-1600  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City
Rockland, Maine   0700-1400

image.thumb.png.ce64c6713dfd17e30b0b67b44d9e064e.png

image.thumb.png.cad8cd70ac0b06a27c3beb90d5336572.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 24

Good morning friends!  Weather report for today is fairly ordinary.  It is now 64F, and will be partly cloudy and in the low 80’s for a high.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for setting up the Fleet Report and Daily for us.  Some varied and unique days to recognize but my favorite is Grandparents Day.  That’s an honest quote by Benchley.  I steer clear of anything with jalapenos.  No thanks on the cocktail and the red wine.  David being unveiled must have been a big day in Florence.  I once visited St. Augustine which was nice.  It was a very sad day when Queen Elizabeth II died 2 years ago.  I hope King Charles (and Princess Katherine) are doing well in their cancer treatments.  We never get reports on them so who knows.  A big thanks to our F&B Dept. Eva @superoma, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Prayers for my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our troops in that dangerous region.  They are always on the job watching out for everyone.  Prayers for the families of those lost in school shootings this week.  Many prayers for our Care list group, with Roy at the top of the list.  Also Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Melanie and her DH, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Nancy’s DB Nick, Ann and Pat, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Terry and Jim, Bruno and Vanessa who still has vertigo issues. 🙏 I send my congrats to everyone celebrating special occasions, cruising and preparing to cruise! 🥂 🎂 Vanessa @JazzyV, we are so appreciative of your hard work.  What will we do when you go on your cruise later this month???  Any takers for that position?

The port today is Icy Strait Point, Alaska.  We had that port twice before on Oct. 31, 2021 and May 21, 2023.  Here are the links for your convenience in posting photos.  I have photos taken there on my actual 50th anniversary date, Sept. 6, 2019. 

I hope this is a fantastic Sunday for everyone.  Please stay safe and keep well!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

We celebrated our 50th anniversary on the 14 day Alaska cruise on Amsterdam in 2019  But I just remembered it was celebrated in Sitka, not in Icy Strait Point

We recommend this cruise to anyone wanting to visit the 49th state.

One week before the actual anniversary, we stopped at Icy Strait Point.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJBA0xO7-vDDyB88A9hC6J8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568225690

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLj2TG4JTEYv0TRaNPCQvrS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568225726

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-fKvh4Z-HUdjW3qgCwQMc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568231679

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKC0P6QEISWFXV0nubOUBSe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568231668

Watching the zipline people fly down the mountain00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIHf4XKscqiXy46O9s6j5Us?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568231667

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIU9XTDlkTpNCxIoJZeoqqZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568231984

It was a beautiful day in Alaska.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLE-6Qynkve2IDd9UiegrZx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568232032

• Like 31
  • Thanks 9

We have been to Icy Strait, but it was so cold we walked through the barn, then back to the fire pit, then back to the ship.

Midori Colada cocktail:

Ingredients:
2 oz. Coco Lopez cream of coconut
1 oz. Midori melon liqueur
1/2 oz. rum
1 1/2 oz. pineapple juice
1 cut ice

Directions:
Mix in blender until smooth & serve immediately

Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 6.17.58 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 20

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and windy here this morning.  I hope we get a little bit of sun later today.

Good days to celebrate.  I like the ampersand, I don't know much about iguanas, I miss my grandparents.  Needless to say, literacy is important.

Interesting quote.

I'll try the meal, I'll pass on the drink, not sure about the wine.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily report Sandi and Rich.  I'll celebrate grandparents.  Mine are long gone and I am not one but a shout out to all grandparents.  I haven't been to Icy Straight, thanks for the lovely photos Sandi.  I'll pass on the poppers but would love a burger.   I'll pass on the melon drink but love a good Tempranillo.  Thanks for researching these for us each day ladies.  

Vanessa I am sad to read you are still battling the dizziness, prayers for you that it goes away prior to your upcoming cruise.  Continuing prayers for Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Terri and Jim, Bonnie, Sandi's DB, Melissa, Ann, Pat LeAnne, Jacqui and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for the people of Ukraine. 

I was able to get a lot of cut back in the garden yesterday even with the chill and the strong breeze.    Our wood stove kept us more than warm yesterday.  No need for it again until next spring because we have a nice warm spell coming.  A didn't see a hummingbird yesterday but I have one Daylily with a flower bud left.  Another wolf sighting in the neighborhood with another seen in broad daylight.  Have a lovely Sunday!  Nancy 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily Report!

I will happily celebrate International Literacy day!

But more importantly Grandparents Day!  Our fourth grandchild was born yesterday at 8 lb 2 oz , a beautiful baby boy named Thomas, everyone is happy and healthy.  

Wishing everyone a wonderful day and sending hope of health and happiness to all.

• Like 42

Today’s Care List:

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR, in the hospital on IV abx, PE

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie with breast cancer, more surgery 9/9

Rafinmd (Roy) in the hospital with vertigo

2 year Anniversary of the passing of Her Majesty QEII

Families of those killed & injured in GA school shooting; Maryland school shooting

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Vict0riann’s DH Pat needing heart valve surgery

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Ger_77’s DH getting a good report at the cardiologist, cruising in February

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

Superoma covering meal of the day for dfish

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Luvteaching (Eurodam to Sept 14) 7d Alaska Explorer, Tbay (Volendam to Sept 10) 10 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery + (Volendam Sept 10 to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 50th Anniversary, Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 24

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi (for Rich)! Praying that Roy is well. 

More T-storms last night. A bit more rain. Had a great time at a friend’s last evening. Lots of great conversation, food & wine. And all three members of her cat family visited with us, too!

Vanessa, praying that all your symptoms disappear soon. Dizziness and light headedness are disconcerting in any setting. Thank you for keeping up with all of us. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, chores, maybe some pool time. Just a typical Sunday. 

IMG_3367.jpeg.2edcda29f3b398c32a8251827fada768.jpeg

IMG_3368.jpeg.94fe874575aeb7bd4225f879662e37db.jpeg

The following sign is the first of a series of signs you might come across in your travels around Denali National Park. I think I have enough for five more days. Enjoy.😎

IMG_3370.jpeg.2e59713c4a22e20f6213580e99f0978d.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support! Praying for Tana - May she be feisty today! May Terry’s hip not hurt & may she get some much needed help. Praying for Bonnie, Melisa & DH, Nancy’s DB, Annie & Chuck, Pat & Ann, Jacqui, Tony, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. And let me sneak Roy in again for good measure. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Welcome to the world, Thomas! @jodi58

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Campo Viejo Tempranillo

This 100% Tempranillo from Spain is certainly priced to try. You could always use it as a base for a nice Sangria, or for cooking, if you don’t find it sippable. Easy to find. Online prices start at $9.98.

Winemakers notes

Leading with beautifully ripe black plum and berry fruit, and the brooding, dark earthy/cacao complexity typical of great Merlot, the wine also displays more lifted aromatic hints of violet, lavender, vanilla, cedar and spice. The palate is full bodied and powerful with a plush richness and weight balanced by gentle acidity and an exceptionally fine grained, ripe tannin structure that lends the wine great presence across the full length of the palate. 

AROMA & PALATE

Nose is rich in aromas and pronounced in intensity. We are struck by the ripe red fruit, later we get the wood nuances with gently sweet notes of vanilla to finish with other sweet spices.

On the palate it is perfumed, soft and fresh with a long finish that leaves memories of red fruit, vanilla and cocoa.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 2

Happy Sunday and Thank you for the Report and Daily!!

The Days are wonderful!!  HAPPY All Of Them!!!

And Benchley and I have succeeded similarly!!!

I'll take the Burger -- sans the jalapeno!

I love Coladas...

I'll try the vino...

And I've seen parts of Alaska, and I've been to Sitka, Juneau, and Skagway and cruised Glacier Bay...  so I bet I've seen this place!  (Or quite close to it!)

Prayers for all!!

Thank you @grapau27 For Fr. David's Message!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

& Thank you Sandi, thank you Eva, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

& Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, jodi58 said:

Thanks for the Daily Report!

I will happily celebrate International Literacy day!

But more importantly Grandparents Day!  Our fourth grandchild was born yesterday at 8 lb 2 oz , a beautiful baby boy named Thomas, everyone is happy and healthy.  

Wishing everyone a wonderful day and sending hope of health and happiness to all.

Congratulations on your new grandson Thomas.  Grandkids are the best, right?

• Like 21

Good morning. It was only 55 earlier and will reach a mere 70 later today.

l like all the days and will skip the jalapeño. I have not been to the port.

@quilty964 asked about football games yesterday. He has been practicing since August but school only started this week. I believe the first game is scheduled for next Saturday. Yesterday he was very busy as Yonkers had a Fall Festival on our main drag and he works in one of the restaurants. We walked down to see it and it was great to see so many folks out and about. Irish bands, food trucks and beer were lining several blocks. 
I had help yesterday when both my DB and DSIL came down for an overnight stay. Tana has been having a difficult time and we don’t see much feistiness. My hip is doing the same things the operated side did now which was why I returned to the doc. I don’t want to wait until it gets so awful I can’t manage. I will know more after an MRI.

i was so sorry to read about Roy being hospitalized. I hope there are answers and improvements today.

IMG_8374.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We celebrated our 50th anniversary on the 14 day Alaska cruise on Amsterdam in 2019  But I just remembered it was celebrated in Sitka, not in Icy Strait Point

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJBA0xO7-vDDyB88A9hC6J8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568225690

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLj2TG4JTEYv0TRaNPCQvrS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568225726

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-fKvh4Z-HUdjW3qgCwQMc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568231679

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKC0P6QEISWFXV0nubOUBSe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568231668

Watching the zipline people fly down the mountain00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIHf4XKscqiXy46O9s6j5Us?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568231667

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIU9XTDlkTpNCxIoJZeoqqZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568231984

It was a beautiful day in Alaska.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLE-6Qynkve2IDd9UiegrZx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568232032

Great photos Sandi.

Nice photo of you two.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

This is the last set of recipes from me for now. What will be my reason for getting up early now? Ah you say, I didn’t make it early most days. So true. I hope to do better next time I fill in for Debbie. I won’t have company and won’t be trying to do several things at once. Only staying warm! Have a great Sunday everyone and welcome back, Debbie.

Jalapeño popper burgers

Best Jalapeño Popper Burgers Recipe - How To Make Jalapeño Popper Burgers

The burger gets stuffed with a jalapeño popper dip 

image.thumb.png.296d8e54272a0c44534956f4c2699ad1.png

How to make jalapeño popper burgers

Slightly different take

image.thumb.png.763fabff10bcc3b2a8b5b1dc3a657301.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 19

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I rank the zip line at Icy Straight three underwear’s! 😳

• Like 6
  • Haha 15

Good morning, everyone!

It was nice to sleep in a big bed last night once we finally got home!  Our last flight was delayed because they switched equipment and had to wait for the plane to arrive.  Then the First Officer didn't show up.  The Captain left twice to go find him and came back alone each time.  Finally, the First Officer walked on board and the plane clapped and cheered.  

@jodi58 Congratulations on the new grandson!  

Nothing planned for today except laundry.  Many thanks to Eva @superoma for filling in for me while I was gone and today.  I truly appreciate it!   And, I would like the jalapeño popper burger!  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily reports Sandi @StLouisCruisers.4 good days and true quote for a lot of us.

Sad day 2 years ago when Her Majesty the Queen died at Balmoral.

Prayers for Roy @rafinmd and everyone else who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and happy day.

Screenshot_20240908_121236.jpg

Thanks & for & the & Fleet Update & General Info & from & all & contributors!

• Like 16
  • Haha 5

Good Sunday morning from a very rainy Bluffton, SC.

It is 8:17 am and it is as dark as midnight outside.  So I guess that is the kind of day it is going to be.

Thank you to Sandi, Vanessa, Eva, Dixie and Ann for the Daily and Fleet report and all your contributions.  

Thank you Graham for our lesson on Ampersand Day.

We do not have much planned today and again it will be indoor activities due to the weather.

Tomorrow I am taking my friend Jackie to Savannah for her pre-op testing.  She is having hernia surgery on Sept. 20. 

We are doing as well as we can and appreciate the prayers.  Some days are better than others.

@rafinmd Roy, prayers that you recover quickly and get yourself out of the hospital .

@smitty34877 I pray that Tana has a good day and you have some time for yourself.

@jodi58 Congrats on your new grandson Thomas.

Cheers to all who are celebrating and cruising.

Happy Sunday and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1