The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 10th, 2024

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Introducing the "Purple Haze" cocktail - a mesmerizing and visually striking libation that captures the essence of a vibrant and electrifying experience. This cocktail is a thrilling fusion of blue curacao, grenadine, and the zesty tang of citrus, resulting in a captivating taste journey that's as vivid as it is delicious. With its radiant purple hue and layers of vibrant colors that dance in the glass, the Purple Haze cocktail is the perfect choice for those seeking an adventurous and eye-catching journey in mixology. Whether enjoyed as a lively party pleaser or as a dazzling prelude to a night out, this concoction guarantees a taste experience that's as vibrant as a psychedelic dream.
Ingredients:
1 oz. vodka
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. grenadine
1 oz. blue curaçao
1 oz. chambord
Directions:
In a shaker with ice cubes pour in the blue curacao liqueur, grenadine syrup, vodka, fresh lime juice, and Chambord.
Shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds to combine the ingredients.
Strain the cocktail into a chilled martini or rocks glass and garnish with a lemon twist or an orange slice for a citrusy touch(optional).

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 6.44.05 AM.png

Wow, what a great name for a drink! Two highs at one time! 😱

• Like 5
  • Haha 14

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  Its sunny 65 degrees, it did feel cooler than that when I fed the outdoor cats, but it is Tuesday so no walk the dog this morning, just a short walk at 9 tonight. So this morning I will make Quiche.  I do this so that there is an easy breakfast for 4 days.  Microwaves are great!  Making meatloaf for dinner, so that there are leftovers to eat this week

Quiffy is getting spayed tomorrow, so I need to go to the bank sometime today and get cash,.  They wont take a check, but they will take cash.  They are not good at making change, so we leave anything extra on account, we know we will apply it soon.  

The quote was very appropriate to my life yesterday and to the future.  Its the weird waiters that are the scariest.  

There was a house on the street where I grew up that I would call cursed.  Every one who moved into it, did not stay long, as there was a family member who died in it every time someone moved in.  When I was a young teenager, there was a family who moved in, and the older teenage boy attempted to commit suicide by writing a note, and did a drug overdose on purpose.  He was not dead, but his sister who was my age thought something was going on, and broke down the door, which slammed into his head (as he was passed out on the floor) and the door killed him.  That was my first knowledge of suicide.  They moved within a week.

I was amazed that the college i attended in the 70's had the second highest collegiate suicide rate in the country.  I am so happy that I never felt my grades while bad, ever affected my attitude about life.  There is always tomorrow and today only has 24 hours in it.

Last night I got 3 emails for H & R block that my SS number had appeared on the dark web. they suggest that I freeze my credit.  Has anyone else ever had to do this?   How long do I freeze it for, and will it affect my current credit cards?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 13

Good morning. It looks like another nice day here . Our family has had two suicides and the effects are long reaching. Prevention and awareness are very important. 
I have not  been to the port and would love gazpacho if someone else made it. Swapping ideas is an excellent topic . I always wanted to try a TV dinner but never did. The quote is an accurate one, at least for me.

Both DB and I are dragging a bit this morning. Extra coffee will be needed. We decided to order in tonight as a way to recoup some energy. He kindly took the dogs for their long walk just now and I was happy to see the wagging tails go down the street.He waited until after the school bus runs as our Fred thinks all the kids on the street are “his” and wants to say hello to all of them. Tana’s pup is less excited to see the children.

@kazu, Jacqui, I was so glad to see that you had posted and hope you can slowly unpack. Ivan is such a good boy! I hope the doctor visit is helpful.

@StLouisCruisers., Sandi, I hope your medical issues can get resolved soon .

@ottahand7, Nancy, I feel  so badly for your DB . The pain has to be off the charts. Again, it is so hard to be far away when our loved ones are going through difficult times.

@marshhawk, Annie, Thinking of you and Chuck today and sending hugs,

Take care all

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

14 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  Its sunny 65 degrees, it did feel cooler than that when I fed the outdoor cats, but it is Tuesday so no walk the dog this morning, just a short walk at 9 tonight. So this morning I will make Quiche.  I do this so that there is an easy breakfast for 4 days.  Microwaves are great!  Making meatloaf for dinner, so that there are leftovers to eat this week

Quiffy is getting spayed tomorrow, so I need to go to the bank sometime today and get cash,.  They wont take a check, but they will take cash.  They are not good at making change, so we leave anything extra on account, we know we will apply it soon.  

The quote was very appropriate to my life yesterday and to the future.  Its the weird waiters that are the scariest.  

There was a house on the street where I grew up that I would call cursed.  Every one who moved into it, did not stay long, as there was a family member who died in it every time someone moved in.  When I was a young teenager, there was a family who moved in, and the older teenage boy attempted to commit suicide by writing a note, and did a drug overdose on purpose.  He was not dead, but his sister who was my age thought something was going on, and broke down the door, which slammed into his head (as he was passed out on the floor) and the door killed him.  That was my first knowledge of suicide.  They moved within a week.

I was amazed that the college i attended in the 70's had the second highest collegiate suicide rate in the country.  I am so happy that I never felt my grades while bad, ever affected my attitude about life.  There is always tomorrow and today only has 24 hours in it.

Last night I got 3 emails for H & R block that my SS number had appeared on the dark web. they suggest that I freeze my credit.  Has anyone else ever had to do this?   How long do I freeze it for, and will it affect my current credit cards?

Annie, I think freezing credit won't affect the credit cards, just keeps the bad guys from opening up new accounts or loans.  Here's a link to an article that might help with some of your questions.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credit-score/pros-and-cons-of-freezing-credit/

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Another beautiful day in north New Jersey! Started in the 50s, high of 77, clear and calm!  Ahhh, autumn!  

@kazu Happy to hear you’re making great progress. Sorry you have a doctor appt on the heels of a rough move!  No hurry on the boxes….  I hope you get good direction on a path forward from the doctor. I understand how hard it is to leave a place that brought you so much joy!  That’s why I had my list of all the things I would not miss!  Why it was time to move.  Got grounded in gratitude but still felt the wounds. Today is a new day, new chapter! 

@rafinmd Roy, happy to see you are able to post!  One step at a time!  

@marshhawk Annie, we’re here with you! 

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I hope you can get in for tests quickly and that they show what needs to be known!  

I have been on many suicide calls, and have been through several acute depressive episodes.  Brain chemistry is getting better understood. I’m glad we have the 988 hotline!  

We arrived in Picton NZ SI by ferry from the North Island. We rented a camper van after disembarking in Auckland; eventually fly out of Christchurch to Tahiti to pick up a cruise there. Picton is a very pretty sail in through the forested hilly channels. I doubt I can extract the photos from backup hard drives, I hope someone else has some. 

I love gazpacho!  Lots of variations to enjoy!  

Blessings for all in need!  Guidance, relief, help, hope, comfort!  Cheers for all celebrating! Smooth travels for all away. 
Protection for all in harms way of fires and storms, war zones. 

Flu shot nurses are coming this morning! Too early but glad they do it!  Today I need to get an appt for my annual eye exam… either with DH’s eye doctor or the one who comes on campus, so some questions and phone calls are needed. 
Thanks all for being here! Have a blessed day! Maureen

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Swapping ideas is good. Suicide prevention is very important. I still eat the occasional Lean Cuisine if I don't feel like cooking. Interesting quote. I'll pass on the meal, drink and take the wine. I have been to Picton. A good day in history.

It's going to be a nice day, warmer and sunny. I set the alarm for 5:30AM, as I wanted to leave at 6:30 for my ENT test and doctor visit. When I woke up there was a noise like a motor. I looked out into the alley, and there was a large truck I assume making deliveries to one of the businesses on the other side of the alley. I thought, oh it'll be gone by 6:30. Nope. I opened the garage and went out. Luckily the guy saw me trying to back out, and moved the truck a few feet so I could get out. The test was ok. ENT doctor said I'd had bilateral BPPV, now resolved after doing the home exercises. He wasn't sure, but hoped the balance issues would follow suit. And I got a script for the med for the cruise. The leg is less hot, but still somewhat red and it's painful. I'll be in the recliner again today. I will see the doctor about my leg tomorrow.

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for your health issue to be resolved soon, and that the tests go well.

@ottahand7 I'm sorry to hear that DB is having so much pain. 

@kazu Thanks for checking in. I know with the move you've been so busy and it's been a very emotional time. I'm glad Ivan is adjusting so far. Good luck seeing the vascular surgeon today. 

@rafinmd Good to see you being able to post! I hope all gets straightened out so that you can proceed to rehab.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. You asked about the cause of the infection. Unknown. In the past I had it twice in the other leg; no scratches, no bites, no skin opening found. I don't know if being on immunosuppressive medication contributes. 

@Sir PMP Thanks for the map and photos.

@marshhawk Hugs to you and Chuck as you navigate your way. I seem to be in every data breach, going back years. There was a recent big data breach involving social security numbers and I got email that I should freeze my credit. It just doesn't allow someone to take out credit in your name. You can unfreeze it say if you're buying a car or some other thing that requires a credit check.

@smitty34877 I'm sorry you and DB are both dragging. I hope you both can get a bit of relaxation time in today. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

A few Picton pics from 2006.

Approaching Picton on the Statendam

836498841_270-ApproachingPicton.thumb.JPG.f3d1da6ac1e59b94242c63302c8aadeb.JPG

1365578317_272-PictonHarbor.thumb.JPG.651269de84bb917056676fe1f3746664.JPG

1095549072_276-DockingatPicton.thumb.JPG.41921e8ffca13ae84c20f877546593b7.JPG

Edward Fox Maritime Museum

89566645_278-PictonviewwithEdwinFoxmuseum.thumb.JPG.b3f1355cb2df95c1e7af4109c43533a6.JPG

285.thumb.JPG.7cc898fd5565c89eb5957aa43e3a9ed8.JPG

Plaque to Captain Cook

594317068_289-PlaquetoCaptainCook.thumb.JPG.d69e81e8ef8959255340779761f40ccc.JPG

War Memorial

494175910_292-WarMemorial.thumb.JPG.01a8b8a561d8ce03b9c572e99f4fe7fc.JPG

294.thumb.JPG.3ead2b63cb84eed4c8450cb56eb3b226.JPG

Picton Harbor 

2001097229_295-PictonHarbor.thumb.JPG.70a23bef09807c25f315734d30b8a32a.JPG

Tukurehu / Mabel Island seen from Bob's Bay Track

284531033_297-MabelIslandseenfromBobsBayTrack.thumb.JPG.f06afe1b94478721679b2371ce873285.JPG

825368298_298-ShipsdockedinPicton.thumb.JPG.5570f2f7ec28f5d87002781726fba1b5.JPG

300.thumb.JPG.d3a4ab5965004a5549206eda8e746300.JPG

304.thumb.JPG.ee5e7148e504e3c95783c8972f7aea88.JPG

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

@JazzyV They have some decent colors this year.  I'm keeping last year's pro, I don't see any reason to trade that in so soon, but I'm looking at the non-pro as a backup now that I don't have DD's phone anymore.  We never did have a landline. 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Went to my favorite place to have a good breakfast with a great view this past weekend. That’s the way we do it in the South!

IMG_2136.thumb.jpeg.c96b7459d0a12e751192e9fee4e2c7aa.jpeg

That's the way I do it and I'm not in the south 🤣

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, atexsix said:

@JazzyV They have some decent colors this year.  I'm keeping last year's pro, I don't see any reason to trade that in so soon, but I'm looking at the non-pro as a backup now that I don't have DD's phone anymore.  We never did have a landline. 

Bruno, I usually get a new phone every other year. I have the 14Pro now. I'm looking at the 16Pro or Pro Max.

• Like 13

@StLouisCruisers Only thing is you have to remember to unfreeze any time you will be making a purchase that requires credit such as a cell phone.

@JazzyV good luck with your test.  Did you see Apple ear pods are going to double as hearing aids now?  I don't think I'd use it to replace my own HA's nor would I trust an Apple hearing test over my audiologist.  

@rafinmd prayers for you! @Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for the update.

Great memories of TV dinners.  And they were surprisingly pretty good compared to now, or maybe it's just me, but nothing tastes the way it once did.  I had a Twinkie recently, I took one bite and it went right in the garbage, it wasn't anything like I remembered from the days when real butter was used.

tvdinner.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Bruno, I usually get a new phone every other year. I have the 14Pro now. I'm looking at the 16Pro or Pro Max.

I have the 15 Pro Max as my main phone, from what I saw the 16 phones will be nice and an improvement from the 14, but nothing earth shattering.  They will be slightly bigger which is one reason I'm not upgrading this year, I don't want bigger I want smaller, I drop this thing enough as it is. 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, atexsix said:

@StLouisCruisers Only thing is you have to remember to unfreeze any time you will be making a purchase that requires credit such as a cell phone.

@JazzyV good luck with your test.  Did you see Apple ear pods are going to double as hearing aids now?  I don't think I'd use it to replace my own HA's nor would I trust an Apple hearing test over my audiologist.  

@rafinmd prayers for you! @Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for the update.

Great memories of TV dinners.  And they were surprisingly pretty good compared to now, or maybe it's just me, but nothing tastes the way it once did.  I had a Twinkie recently, I took one bite and it went right in the garbage, it wasn't anything like I remembered from the days when real butter was used.

tvdinner.jpg

Wow, that brings back my nightly dinner in college! I wonder why I had a spare tire around the middle!

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

I hate to admit it, but I miss Swanson Frozen Turkey Dinners.  It think I miss the stuffing.  And taters, and the peas, and that little blob of cranberry sauce (questionable food item)  I dont miss the turkey, just the stuff.

I will still pick up a Stouffers Salisbury Steak with mac n' cheese. Not a lot of times, but when I work until 11 pm. DH likes them, and sometimes he doesnt appreciate my creative cooking (clearing out the fridge).

The quiche is almost done, sausage onion an cheddar.  The meatloat has been created and formed, with a bit of a change.  I had switched from saltines two years ago, to panko crumbs, and found out while making the meatloaf, that we had no Panko crumbs, and I substituted Ritz crackers.  I'll let you know how that turns out.  And now we are out of Ritz....

• Like 24

2 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I hate to admit it, but I miss Swanson Frozen Turkey Dinners.  It think I miss the stuffing.  And taters, and the peas, and that little blob of cranberry sauce (questionable food item)  I dont miss the turkey, just the stuff.

I will still pick up a Stouffers Salisbury Steak with mac n' cheese. Not a lot of times, but when I work until 11 pm. DH likes them, and sometimes he doesnt appreciate my creative cooking (clearing out the fridge).

The quiche is almost done, sausage onion an cheddar.  The meatloat has been created and formed, with a bit of a change.  I had switched from saltines two years ago, to panko crumbs, and found out while making the meatloaf, that we had no Panko crumbs, and I substituted Ritz crackers.  I'll let you know how that turns out.  And now we are out of Ritz....

I was noticing in the picture I posted the size of the portions are much larger compared to now, I think the corn and potatoes are only half that.  

On the meatloaf, leave a couple slices of bread out for a few hours, they should crumble easily after that.

• Like 12

Prayers @StLouisCruisers you are on the mend quickly.

🫂 🤗 and 🙏 @marshhawk

Good to see @rafinmd posting and making progress; 🙏 for continued quick improvement.

Happy to hear from @kazu 🫂 🤗  Sounds like Ivan will be a big help w/the transition; he definitely has your back.

Leaving the eye dr - finally able to have the 2nd of the 4 procedures done. She turned up the intensity a couple points & good golly it hurt! Each session will be stronger, so note to self to bring blanket & pacifier for next time as I will need to curl up afterwards. 

Today recognizes an important cause to create awareness of, but it's really hard for me. I literally feel my chest tightening as I write this as I did reading the name of the day and the posts. Having lost a brother (father of 12 [5 biological, 7 bonus]), nephew (teenage) and cousin (father of 3) to suicide, it just never gets easier to see or hear that word. 💔

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, or what is left of it.

Thank you to Sandi, et al for the FR&D.  

Thank you also to Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie.

Not much to report today.  I have physical therapy and a few errands to run.

Sadly, it appears that a my PMR has again flared up and I have to consult the PCP to increase the Prednisone dosage.  I was really hoping I was on the road to throwing away that bottle of pills.  It appears not and I am very disappointed.  I have been waking up in the mornings almost unable to move.

So today I will bite the bullet and send him a message to see where we go from here.  I cannot live like this with everything else on my plate.

@kazu Happy to see your post and wish all the best for you in your move.

@rafinmd glad to see you were able to post.  Wishing a quick road to recovery for you.

@StLouisCruisers Hope you can take care of your medical issues quickly.

@smitty34877 i hope you are able to get a rest.

@marshhawk Prayers for you and Chuck

Not much else to report.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We swap a lot of ideas around the Daily pages and for that I'm always grateful.  If only there was a way to prevent suicides, but more often than not there are no signals and it takes the survivors by surprise.  I remember having TV dinners as a treat as a child - my favourite was the fried chicken.  Yum!

It's cool this morning with only a temp of 10(50) and a high of 20(68) expected.  It does feel like an "f" morning, and so quickly after yesterday's lovely warmth.  A couple of years ago at this time the trees along the river had all started turning colour, but this year they're still green.  Not sure why!

@Vict0riannin response to your query yesterday, no, DH hasn't had to change his diet, although we often have salmon and chicken on our menu.

@kazumy heart goes out to you as you transition into your new home.  I'm so glad Ivan was such a good boy; you're lucky there.

A busy day today - DH is off for an ultrasound of his shoulders and upper back.  After seeing our FP yesterday, he thought it was best to get the stiffness checked out, so there were x-rays yesterday and today is an ultrasound.  The stiffness hasn't completely left DH's neck, so it's best to get it looked at.  This morning I'm heading over to pick up our friend Ollie as she wants to buy a coffee maker like ours . . . a keurig.  She says she loves our coffee and can't get the same taste from her multi cup pot, so wants a new one so she can enjoy "our" coffee at her house.  I'm happy to do it for her, as she's such a sweet person.  Then later in the afternoon she's coming over because she wants to watch a "political program" that will be televised this evening.  She doesn't want to watch it alone as she wants to bounce ideas off us and know what our reactions are.  Should be fun.  LOL

I'm writing down the ingredients for the drink of the day for research purposes, would try the wine, and will pass on the gazpacho because DH doesn't care for it.  I've had it a couple of times on cruises, but haven't ever made it at home.  I don't have to worry about dinner tonight because Ollie said she's order in Chinese food for us, so we'll gather around the television in the family room and enjoy whatever transpires there.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2