The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday October 3rd, 2024

Today is Global Smoothie Day, Look at the Leaves Day, and Mean Girls Appreciation Day

Friendship ... is born at the moment when one man says to another "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself"... -- C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

Meal Suggestion for today - Carrot Soup
Drink of the Day - Flaming Dr. Pepper
Wine of the Day - 2020 Riesling, Steinreich Trocken, Ansgar Clüsserath, Mosel
Destination of the Day - Saint Lawrence River Cruising

Today in History:
1888 New Zealand Natives, a privately organised and mainly Maori rugby team, plays first game in UK
1990 Reunification of East and West Germany. West German flag is raised above the Brandenburg Gate on the stroke of midnight.

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
Ketchikan, Alaska   0630-1300  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 5 days, one-way from Vancouver to San Diego
At Sea Destination San Diego, California   eta 10-04  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens
Alexandria, Egypt   0600-2000  

Noordam --- 14 days, one-way from Vancouver to Yokohama
At Sea Destination Kushiro, Japan                         eta 10-11  

Oosterdam --- 11 days, round-trip Venetian Dalmatian Delight
Trieste, Italy   0500-2200  

Rotterdam --- 14 days, round-trip Jewels Of The Baltic
At Sea Destination Tallinn, Estonia   eta 10-04  

Volendam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal
At Sea Destination Quebec City, Quebec   eta 10-04  

Zaandam --- 51 days, round-trip Tales Of The South Pacific
At Sea Destination Nawiliwili (Kauai), Hawaii   eta 10-06  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston
Halifax, Nova Scotia   0900-1700  

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
Ishigaki, Japan   0800-1700

image.thumb.png.47117e2747ab059a98e7b72ec890e0be.png

image.thumb.png.33d14ef1313b830fca11c1df44e60f63.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 20

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It's another clear, humid (99%), 68 degrees morning here in SC. The pollen count is still very high with a forecasted high of 85 degrees this afternoon.

I hope everyone here has a great day!

20231105_050645.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Happy Thursday!  Today’s weather is 62F currently and will have a high of 83F, morning sun, afternoon clouds and a possibility of a stray late afternoon shower. I have a hair appointment this morning, but first will stop at the market to stock up on wine and beers.  We’re running low.  After the hair appointment I will stop at the dry cleaners to pick up cleaning since I’m passing right by it.  Then home for the afternoon and evening. 

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today’s Fleet Report and Daily.  I don't drink smoothies but know those who do, so they can enjoy one today perhaps.  Looking at the leaves sounds fine unless you have a rake or blower in your hands!  I wonder why mean girls need a day to be recognized?  Nice quote, a soup I've never had before, an interesting sounding "cocktail", and the wine is one I probably wouldn't order.  It must have been quite a culture shock for both the Māori and the British when they played their first game in the UK in 1888.  A huge day for freedom in 1990 when East and West Germany were reunified.  Thanks so much Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the superb reporting on the meal, drink and wine today.

Prayers for Annie and Chuck, Roy, Tana and Terry, Nancy’s DB Nick, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Melisa and her DH, Ann and Pat, Dixie, Elizabeth, Terry and Jim, Carol and Sam, Debbie and anyone else in need of them. 🙏 Also for my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, and our troops in danger.  Prayers too for all impacted by Helene and in need of major help. 🙏 For those celebrating special occasions today, cruising, and even preparing to cruise, cheers! 🥂 Have a wonderful time! 🥳 So many thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for the C&C list today!  Hope the cruise is going swimmingly. 😉

The port today is a destination – Saint Lawrence River Cruising.  This was our port only once before on April 30, 2021, a long time ago!  Here’s the link to back then.

Hoping today is a good one for all!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Cruising St. Lawrence River

I've cruised the Saint Lawrence River twice, both in 2018.  That was a very busy cruise year for us.  Something like 160 days that year.  Anyway, the first time was on Seabourn Quest on a unique itinerary from Reykjavik to Montreal, taking in many ports in Greenland and maritime Canada.  I found only two photos taken out a window at lunch of smooth water with what looked like fog.  Nothing mentioned in notes in my photo book. 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Thrilling, right? 

That was a fabulous cruise and I hated to get off the ship.  But 6 weeks later we were back in Montreal to board the Rotterdam for a New England and Atlantic Coast Cruise.  After our first port stop in Quebec City (lovely as usual) we headed up the Saint Lawrence River to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.  I was especially looking forward to this new port since it was our first time there.  Well, it was not to be!  We had high seas due to wind, with gusts of up to 86 miles per hour.  I'm sure I didn't go outside but I did take one photo of the front of the ship on TV so here it is.

So there's my cruising of the Saint Lawrence River for you!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Flaming Dr. Pepper cocktail:

A Flaming Doctor Pepper is a flaming cocktail with taste similar to the soft drink Dr Pepper, despite Dr Pepper not being one of its ingredients. Dave Brinks of the Gold Mine Saloon lays claim to inventing the drink.
Ingredients:
1 part High-proof liquor,
16 oz (~13 parts) Beer,
3 parts Amaretto
Preparation:
Layer the two spirits in the shot glass, with the high-proof liquor on top. Light the shot and allow it to burn; then extinguish it by dropping it into the beer glass. Drink immediately.

Screenshot 2024-10-03 at 6.18.09 AM.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 20

Good way too early Thursday Morning Dailyites!  I am off to the dr's for blood tests at 8 for my endocrinologist, and a physical with my doc at 10.  I don't remember the last time I have had a physical. I know not since my new doc took over 4 years ago.o  She will ask me why I didnt get two tests done, a mammogram and a colonoscopy when she told me to, and I will have to inform her that I actually needed referrals, and when I tried to contact her nurse to get them, I never heard back. Its an endless cycle with her, I am a bad patient,  and she isnt that great a doc.  

I hope everyone has a great day!

f173f381afefb9a884383aa28c759632.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Today the Noordam was supposed to be in Kodiak, Alaska.  But due to the storm in Alaska this week they had a change of itinerary and were in Juneau, Alaska yesterday instead of on their way to Kodiak.  At the moment they are heading straight to Kushiro, Japan and bypassing Kodiak.  I'm sure there are plenty of disappointed passengers who wanted to visit Kodiak, but hopefully they won't start a complaint thread about it!

Noordam is the ship at the top, the lower two are Koningsdam and Eurodam heading to Ketchikan today.

image.thumb.png.cfe8a8fc09f64951967db104838946a3.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 9

Today’s Care List:

Rafinmd (Roy) back in rehab

Vict0riann starting radiation therapy

Mr. Boston’s DM’s brother Henry suffering a stroke

Ottahand7’s DB Nick in rehab, doing better

StLouisCruisers with a health issue, upcoming biopsy

Kazu with items missing from move, vision problems and leg pain

Nickelpenny having a family emergency

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US. Those affected by Helene

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Lindaler’s DS with an emergency situation

Summer slope with slight tear in meniscus, with pain

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Quartzsite Cruiser with good news about her DD

StLouisCruisers doing a great job posting the Daily in Rich’s absence

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim not needing a tooth extraction

Kazu moved into new home

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

6 days for Denise T (NCL Sky Oct 9 to Oct 19) 10d Canada & NE: Bar Harbor, Halifax

TAW1963 (Eurodam to Oct 5) 7d Alaska Explorer, Haljo1935 (Eurodam to Oct 5) 7d Alaska Explorer – celebrating 35th anniversary, Doobieb (Oosterdam to Oct 10) 11d Venetian & Dalmation Delight, JazzyV (Celebrity Eclipse to Oct 11) 11d Boston, Maine & Canada, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 22

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports Sandi.

I never watched the mean girls appreciation day film.

Any soup is nice.

Never been to today's port.

I am sitting waiting in the doctor's for my flu and COVID vaccine.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all have a wonderful day.

• Like 24

13 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning and Happy Thursday.

The beautiful Volendam on the St. Lawrence River at Quebec City this September…

IMG_1975.jpeg.0fc803614a12d14a8a167628fea6cda9.jpeg

Maxine, love the pink figure sitting on the rooftop in that photo!

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Maxine, love the pink figure sitting on the rooftop in that photo!

Sandi, the pink blow-up guy was at a lot of different locations throughout the city -- part of an artist's public art project.  They were really cute, and very unexpected.  Quebec sure is a wonderful place.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and clear this morning. 

The leaves are turning and we are looking at them.  It's still too early for a good display of colour.

The quote sounds familiar, and I still like it.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink, I'm sure the wine is wonderful.

I've been by the St Lawrence River, but never cruised on it.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good day.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Happy Thursday. Thanks for the daily and fleet reports. 

The destination of the day made me so happy as I will be in Quebec starting Monday and cruising the St. Lawrence. I will have many photos, I am sure. I am all set. Picking up my meds today as the pharmacist was able to get them filled early. Wrapping up some last-minute stuff with work. The excitement is building for sure. This is a much-needed vacation for both me and my sister. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Thursday Motivational Memes For Work

• Like 25

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi & Rich!  It was lovely this morning - 73 and no humidity. Of course once the sun heats up my area - that will change. Yesterday was a much better day for walking. And not a drop of rain in the afternoon. 

Vanessa, hope you are enjoying your cruise and your leg garment works out better. Thank you for keeping up with all of us!

Gym, manicure, Bindi walks, lots of chores and maybe some pool time are in store for me today. 

IMG_3536.jpeg.f3476f59128677ed9ac1f456bbcce56f.jpeg

IMG_3533.jpeg.d2532a1f00642cda55699fbddeaf274a.jpeg

IMG_3530.jpeg.dfa887bc39b2bbafdc18adcf18624602.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Praying for Tana, Terry & DB, Melisa & DH, Chuck & Annie, Roy, Jacqui, Bonnie, Ann & Pat, Sam, Sandi & DB, Nancy’s DB - Nick, Elizabeth, Dixie, Terry & Jim and all our caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Lenda - thrilled to read that your DD’s surgery went smoothly. And ice cream is in her future! 😎

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2020 Riesling, Steinreich Trocken, Ansgar Clüsserath, Mosel

I could not find any distributors that offer to ship the 2020 vintage to me. And not too much info either. Critics ratings are in the 90 - 96 range. 

Oddly, I found a few distributors that offer the 2019 vintage. I wasn’t sure about the lifespan of a German Riesling, but the Wine Enthusiast Drinkability chart indicates we should still hold the 2019 vintage for a couple more years. Online prices for the 2019 vintage start at 

$19.98.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the daily and fleet report.

Here, all of the leaves are still attached to the trees, our “fall” doesn’t begin until November but when the street trees start to change, they are beautiful. All the homes here have city “maintained” trees in their front yards, but due to budget, they are not pruned often, so in some areas, the trees canopy and wow. We’ve  cruised the St. Lawrence River just once, I think it was 1986. That cruise was memorable in that I got seasick and I didn’t know what it was. I did take Dramamine eventually but when we finally docked in Halifax, I spent the day feeling like I had a hangover. Since then, I always take meclazine as a precaution and never had an issue since.

In lieu of today’s meal, I’m putting on a pot of split pea soup, which is crazy since it’s going to be 103 today. We both like soup anytime of the year, so we’ll just lower the AC if we need to.

Both of us are up way too early. I woke up at 2am and finally transferred to the guest room (hubby was snoring at that point), still couldn’t get to sleep so I got up at 4:15. Much to my surprise, Fred was up already, he said he’d forgotten to wear is watch to bed last night so when he woke up didn’t know what time it was, but since he felt he was awake enough he got up, but was also surprised with the time. Naps are definitely in order today. The pool is almost filled and pool company coming back this morning to do the chemicals. Looking forward to the light coming on tonight and checking their work, but however it looks, we will live with it.

Thinking of all on the care list and hope for continuing improvement. Yay to those cruising or traveling, enjoy.  Have a great day.

Edited by ellbelle
  • Like 23

Good afternoon.

I had the flu jab in my right arm and the COVID vaccine in my left arm.

Afterwards we got ham and cheese toasties and coffee and ate them looking out to sea.

I hope everyone is enjoying today and prayers 🙏 for those who are unwell.

IMG_20241003_123238.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

Another beautiful day in store for mid-Michigan with sunny skies and a high of 76F.  We might work on leaves this afternoon.  And then again, we might not.  I guess it will depend on how the mood strikes.

Thanks to all for the well wishes on the arrival of baby Abraham.  He is named for his third great grandfather.  I don't have any pictures yet.  

Today's meal is for the carrot lovers.  Now, most of you won't believe this, but back in 2017 on the Koningsdam we went to a dinner with America's Test Kitchen.  It was in the area that is now Club Orange.  They served carrot soup and I tried it and actually liked it.  So, I ate it.  I'm going to have to try one of these soups the next time River comes to stay.  She loves carrots.  This first recipe gives three variations that you can try.  I think the third one sounds good.  Roasted Carrot Soup

carrotsoup1.thumb.jpg.7769b1effc58ca1188272ee3f74b25a9.jpg

Here's a ginger carrot soup that can be sweetened with maple syrup.  Carrot Ginger Soup

carrotsoup2.jpg.6ac6b462eafbb5eac84b46526eaa8d8c.jpg

This last recipe is interesting with the roasted crunchy chickpeas used as a garnish.  I'm not a big fan of chickpeas, but roasted and spiced might not be so bad.  Roasted Carrot Soup with Za'atar Chickpea Garnish

carrotsoup3.thumb.jpg.3747bc1974e69b7d2de981c3762768c4.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 13

Good morning everyone!  A beautiful cool morning here.  Thanks for the daily and maps Sandi and Rich.    I'll celebrate the beautiful fall leaves.  Very little color here yet.  I'll pass on the soup, I am making pork osso bucco this morning so my carrots will go in there.   No on the cocktail but yes on the Reisling.  High quality Reisling should still drink well at five years.  I bet 50% of shelf stock is >five years old.  Thanks for the photos from cruising the St. Lawrence everyone.  We missed it when our 2020 Zaandam cruise was cancelled.   

I hope you are having a great cruise Vanessa and thanks for the cares and celebrations reports.  Keep up the good work in rehab @rafinmd Roy!  Jacqui I hope you had a pain free night.  Good luck at your physician visit today Annie, prayers for you and, Chuck.  Prayers for Ann as you begin therapy today.    Continuing prayers for Terri and Jim, Tana and Terry, Melissa, Bonnie and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.    Prayers for the people of Ukraine and everyone in war zones.  

I have a busy day working outdoors.  John started my day telling me we needed to go to Costco to buy TP.  He said there will be a shortage because of the dockworkers strike.   I told him he was fine going without me.  I think if we begin to get short of that essential our President would involve the Taft-Hartley act.   Lots of digging, potting and treating woody weeds.   Someone from Garden Club will come over and we can strategize on finding speakers for our environmental school.   Happy leaf day!  Nancy 

IMG_20240910_112447938.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Good cloudy morning. It’s supposed to get up to about 77 today. 
The trees are still nice and green with some spots of color.

I’m missing @Crazy For Cats, Jake I hope you’re okay. It’s been a long time since we’ve heard from you and the kids🐾

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Heavy rain again overnite, so golf course is closed again!

I dont know why we would celebrate mean girls. Its like some posts on CC. Not this thread. I just dont read them and there are some posters I ignore completely.

We dont really have trees with leaves that change color. I do like Smoothies. 

Have been to the St Lawrence but not on a cruise. I like cold carrots but not a soup.

That shingle shot is brutal. Woke me up at midnite with chills and aches all over. Went on all nite. Still achy this AM. Just glad I dont have to go that again. I never react to vaccines but this one just didnt like me. DH is fine.

Hope to hear more good news about Roy today. Sounds more encouraging.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 23