The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday October 9th, 2024

Today is Leif Erikson Day, National Nanotechnology Day, and National Pro-Life Cupcake Day

Why don't you get out of that wet coat and into a dry martini? - Robert Benchley

Meal Suggestion for today - Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Drink of the Day - Bramble
Wine of the Day - Johannes Zillinger 2019 Numen Grüner Veltliner (Niederösterreich)
Destination of the Day - Waitangi (Bay of Islands), New Zealand

Today in History:
1446 The Hangul (Korean) alphabet is first published in Korea by King Sejong the Great
768 Charlemagne and his brother Carloman I are crowned Kings of The Franks

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 4 days, one-way from Vancouver to San Diego
Santa Barbara, California   0800-1600  

Koningsdam --- 17 days, round-trip Circle Hawaii
At Sea Destination Honolulu (Oahu), Hawaii   eta 10-11  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 16 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale
Huatulco, Mexico   1000-1800  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, round-trip Lands Of Legends Eternal Cities
Palermo, Sicily   0800-1700  

Oosterdam --- 11 days, round-trip Venetian Dalmatian Delight
Katakolon (Olympia), Greece   0700-1500  

Rotterdam --- 14 days, round-trip Jewels Of The Baltic
Kiel, Germany   0800-1800  

Volendam --- 14 days, one-way from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale
At Sea Destination Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island   eta 10-10  

Zaandam --- 51 days, round-trip Tales Of The South Pacific
Honolulu (Oahu), Hawaii   -ovn--2300  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island   0900-1800  

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam --- 14 days, one-way from Vancouver to Yokohama
At Sea Destination Kushiro, Japan   eta 10-11  

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
At Sea Destination Honolulu (Oahu), Hawaii   eta 10-16

image.thumb.png.f6e24360988fd58ea9e2b44a07362191.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 29

Be safe my fellow floridians.

Bramble cocktail:

The Bramble is one of those cocktails that feels like a century-old classic. It looks the part, and every good barkeep knows how to make one.
But the drink wasn’t first invented until 1984, when Dick Bradsell (whose resume also includes the Espresso Martini) mixed this modern-classic at Fred’s Club in London’s Soho neighborhood. It’s one of that decade’s best success stories, standing apart from the era’s provocatively named drinks that eschewed fresh ingredients in favor of bottled, neon-hued mixers.
The Bramble was named for the bush that blackberries grow on and was inspired by the fresh berries that Bradsell picked as a child on the Isle of Wight. After receiving some creme de mure (a blackberry liqueur) for the bar, Bradsell began experimenting and came on a combination of gin, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup and creme de mure that was part Gin Sour and part Singapore Sling. He shook up the ingredients, then strained them over crushed ice to tame the sweetness.
Ingredients:
2 oz. gin
1 oz. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 teaspoons simple syrup
1/2 oz. creme de mure
Garnish: lemon half wheel, fresh blackberry
Directions:
Add the gin, lemon juice and simple syrup into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Fine-strain into an rocks glass over crushed ice.
Slowly pour the creme de mure over the top of the drink
Garnish with a lemon half-wheel and a fresh blackberry.

Screenshot 2024-10-09 at 5.22.07 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 31

Good morning friends!  Here in my neck of the woods it’s a nice 60F as I type this.  Today will be sunny with a high temp of 79.  I wish I could send my weather to Florida and Hurricane Milton would go poof!

Thanks Rich @richwmn for setting up the Daily and Fleet Report info for us. Some diverse days to recognize from explorers to nanotechnology and Pro-Life Cupcake Day.  Yum!  The quote is humorous. I don’t think roasted pumpkin seeds would fit the bill for a full meal but a nice snack.  No thanks to the cocktail and whatever type of wine that is.  Congrats to the Korean people and their alphabet, Hangul.  We went way back to celebrate Charlemagne and his brother’s becoming kings. Huge thanks go out to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their great reports each day.

Prayers first go to my DGD Morgan who I hope is safe during this hurricane as well as all the people and property in the way of Milton.  Also to my DB who is suffering from a terrible cold to go along with his Pulmonary Fibrosis.  Not a great combo.  Hoping the medications he’s been given help him feel better soon.  Also for the people here on the Daily in need of prayer including Annie and Chuck, Roy, Tana and Terry, Nancy’s DB Nick, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Melisa and her DH, Ann and Pat, Jacqui, Dixie, Elizabeth, Terry and Jim, Carol and Sam, Debbie and anyone else in need of them.  There are still those hurting and grieving after Hurricane Helena, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages remaining who are still held, and our men and women in uniform overseas.  Meanwhile congrats to all celebrating special events, cruising and preparing to cruise soon.  Bon Voyage or Happy _____!!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the time spent updating and posting the C&C lists for us, even while on your long-awaited cruise.  We appreciate it!

The port today is Waitangi (Bay of Islands), New Zealand.  This has only been our port of the day once before on Feb. 9, 2022.  Here is the link to that date for your convenience in retrieving photos.

One more day on the honeymoon cruise, and then Ashley and Chris fly home tomorrow from Rome.  They’ve enjoyed Mykonos, Santorini, Ephesus (Kusadasi), Athens, and Chania Crete this week.  This was a dream vacation for them and I’m so glad they got to go.

Hoping we all have a stress-free day, staying safe and well! 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 14

At first I thought perhaps I hadn't been to Bay of Islands but apparently it was on the itinerary of our 2017 Sun Princess cruise.  I don't have the name of the town, just Bay of Islands.  We arrived on Dec. 6 and anchored, but after moving some crew over to shore, they determined the swells were too much for tendering that day.  The water didn't look bad but those swells are often difficult to pinpoint.  It took a while to sail away from the area.  They had to get that crew back onboard safely and wait for the pilot a while.  It looked very nice though and I wish I'd gotten ashore. 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI8ZDQyY0t89o1Kh5zIbDgj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626861

This was about the best photo I got of the shore line.  Sorry we didn't make it in.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It's a cool 63 degrees this morning in SC with a forecasted high of only 79. 🙂 

I hope our friends and families are safe in Florida from the hurricane. 

Have a wonderful day!

20231104_055556.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Today’s Care List:

Rafinmd (Roy) in rehab

Ottahand7’s DB Nick in rehab, doing better

StLouisCruisers with a health issue

Cruzin Terri’s knee pain

Kazu with items missing from move, vision problems and leg pain

Hoping Crazy for Cats (Jake) and Haljo1935 (Elizabeth) are ok

Heat, Fires, Storms. Those in the path of Milton

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

0106’s DH post spine surgery, now recovering

Vict0riann’s DH Pat recovering from heart valve surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Denise T!

Grapau27 getting a good report from the skin cancer clinic

Rafinmd to be discharged home from rehab soon

Bennybear’s amazing aurora photos

StLouisCruisers posting the Daily in Rich’s absence

Kazu moved into her new home

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Heartgrove (Rotterdam Oct 12 to Oct 27) 15d Atlantic Sojourn TA + (Celebrity Beyond Oct 27 to Nov 2) 6d PC W. Caribbean & Perfect Day

3 days for NextOne (Rotterdam Oct 12 to Oct 27) 15d Atlantic Sojourn TA

Doobieb (Oosterdam to Oct 10) 11d Venetian & Dalmation Delight, JazzyV (Celebrity Eclipse to Oct 11) 11d Boston, Maine & Canada, Denise T (NCL Sky to Oct 19) 10d Canada & NE: Bar Harbor, Halifax, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 33

Good morning from a stressed St Petersburg as Milton edges closer today.  I'm up early to check the latest predictions.  While Pinellas County is still in the cone, the landfall is expected south of us in Manatee or Sarasota County.  If that is correct, Tampa Bay will not get the surge.  We will still get the winds and the heavy rain.

Our building, which is about 3 miles inland from Madeira Beach, is close to the intracoastal waterway.  About half of our residents have evacuated, but others have chosen to come here from more susceptable locations.  Our car is at church, well, it is parked in front of the Catholic Church next door as their property is about 3 meters/8 feet higher.

Prayers and best wishes for all of us in harms way.  Keep smiling and sailing away.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 22

Good morning, thanks for the Report.

Cool with a chance of rain today.

Interesting days.  No comment on Pro Life Cupcake Day.

Amusing quote.

Roasted pumpkin seeds are a tasty snack.  The drink sounds interesting, maybe I'll remember to order one on our next cruise.  I hope the wine is tasty.

I'd like to visit New Zealand, maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone in the path of Milton.  Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good day.  Stay safe.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good morning to all.

I am up early and figured that I had better post now while I have some time.

Thank you Sandi, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for your contributions to this thread,

The quote is interesting and humorous.

I can’t really see how to make a meal out of pumpkin seeds.  Maybe a snack.

I’ll pass on the drink. Maybe the wine.

I have not been to the Bay of Islands.

@DeniseT Bon Voyage.  Have a wonderful time.  

Today I plan to go to the Orthopedic Urgent Care facility and see if there is something they can do for me.  I bought a knee brace and a cane yesterday because I am unable to walk without an assistive device.  DH said he would come with me to help me but that was last night.  I have no idea if he will actually do that this morning,.  That is the way life is here.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi  praying that the biopsy results are in your favor.

@rafinmd Roy, glad you are making progress and hope you get to go home soon.

Prayers for all our Dailyites and friends and family in Florida who may be in the Hurricane Milton’s path.  Here’s hoping that the intensity lessens prior to making landfall.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. It is only 50 here going to a mere 67 later. The hurricane reports are so awful. I am officially worried about all of our Florida Dailyites.

I will say nothing about the collection of days. I have not been to New Zealand. The days in history are interesting.

We are working hard here to help Tana. She has only been able top be out of bed for short periods now and we take turns staying with her at night as that seems to be the most difficult time for her. My DB has been a wonderful help in so many ways. He has a great sense of humor and I so appreciate that. Today I am making a cauliflower and potato soup that was a big hit last week. The mom in me is always happy when at least a small amount of food is eaten. 

Sandi, the blue bubbles are being odd. I just loved seeing your finished Christmas stocking. It is truly lovely and I am sure will be most appreciated.

Oh my on your DGD Morgan and the huge worry about her and all those at risk in this storm. I hope she and her boyfriend are safe where they are. 

Terri,I was so sorry to read about your knee and subsequent ambulating problems. I hope they are able to help at urgent care. 
Elizabeth, sorry about your phone loss but glad that you are okay. I hope the cruise was good. I was worried when you could not post.

Please take care everyone 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning! I just read Jenna Fischer Shared That She Was Diagnosed With Breast Cancer and thought it was important to point out that October is breast cancer awareness month.

IMG_1896.jpeg.5fd3893a51583edb7a8fb0d8e4e9c170.jpeg

I will not be celebrating pro-life cupcake day and do not think it is appropriate topic for the Daily.

My thoughts are with everyone in path of Milton.  I salute the essential workers, first responders and everyday volunteers that are trying to get the area prepared for the landfall and will be there in the aftermath of the hurricane.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is only 50 here going to a mere 67 later. The hurricane reports are so awful. I am officially worried about all of our Florida Dailyites.

I will say nothing about the collection of days. I have not been to New Zealand. The days in history are interesting.

We are working hard here to help Tana. She has only been able top be out of bed for short periods now and we take turns staying with her at night as that seems to be the most difficult time for her. My DB has been a wonderful help in so many ways. He has a great sense of humor and I so appreciate that. Today I am making a cauliflower and potato soup that was a big hit last week. The mom in me is always happy when at least a small amount of food is eaten. 

Sandi, the blue bubbles are being odd. I just loved seeing your finished Christmas stocking. It is truly lovely and I am sure will be most appreciated.

Oh my on your DGD Morgan and the huge worry about her and all those at risk in this storm. I hope she and her boyfriend are safe where they are. 

Terri,I was so sorry to read about your knee and subsequent ambulating problems. I hope they are able to help at urgent care. 
Elizabeth, sorry about your phone loss but glad that you are okay. I hope the cruise was good. I was worried when you could not post.

Please take care everyone 

Terry, I am sad to hear that Tana is less able to move from the bed and has such a bad time during the night.  I pray for her and your family taking care of her daily.

As for Morgan I just posted this on yesterday's Daily.  New info from DD.

I found out the place Morgan and Rossi are staying at is newer construction with roof straps and is hurricane compliant.  The cars are parked on higher ground in a parking garage, they have food, water, batteries, devices charged.  The location is much safer than her lovely apartment which is located very, very close to Old Tampa Bay where the 275 bridge lands on the peninsula.  I read the Aquarium stared moving penguins, etc. yesterday to other facilities.  Nothing like waiting until the last minute to decide!  Aren't the highways clogged with evacuees?  I hope they made it to safety.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Good morning. Currently 68 degrees so we are starting to get some cooler mornings in North West, Florida. Forecast shows some upcoming mornings starting the day in fifties! 👏👏
@DeniseT Bon Voyage. You finally will be on your well deserved way.

I have adopted a song for my recent leg surgery. It’s an old Elvis hit “Burning Burning love.” 
Sue has another pre op appointment and I get to take a shower this morning(was restricted x 24 hours) which will be nice. Need to do before house cleaner arrives.

So that’s about it. Have a great day and prayers for those in Milton’s path. B.

image.jpeg.4498f6e8ac3db616213909b0be312456.jpegimage.jpeg.bd36815d06d3d507a5d82c38bdfb395c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0e3567ae428e994b09c4fc1b9cc18e11.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b0faa062343580a5ee2cea33cb0f69dc.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Haha 25

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

No thanks to the cocktail and whatever type of wine that is. 

As a white wine drinker, you just might like this wine. It's a white (not sweet) Austrian wine. Can be quite nice...........haven't had this particular one, but several others and I'm a NZ Sauvignon Blanc drinker mostly.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi & Rich! Sandi, thank you for sharing Morgan & Rossi’s picture. Boy do I see a lot of you in her. She is lovely.  Hope they are in a good, safe place. For some reason I thought she also had a pet. I must be confusing her with someone else. 

Well the pre-Milton rains have started here. My local weather guru said we will get 3 - 5 inches of rain with this storm and then another 3-5 before Midnight. They have not predicted how much we will get tomorrow morning. Milton’s track still shows it coming across the peninsula & hitting the Atlantic just a bit North of Charlene & Canaveral, and putting me on the better side of the winds. But the storm surge is expected to do lots of damage on the East Coast. Not just the shore, but the Intercoastal, the St.Johns and other major rivers. The city limits of St. Augustine are under a mandatory evacuation order. Hope all my fellow Floridians are safe. I think my biggest challenge will be to find opportunities to get Bindi out. 

Vanessa, hope you & BFF are enjoying yourselves & relaxing. Thank you for keeping up with all of us!

It is just starting to get light here. I won’t be going anywhere. So I have lots of things on my “to do” - changing smoke detector batteries, core exercises, grout cleaning, wine “cellar” organization, more hunting for donation items…. I might even open a bottle of wine tonight. It looks like Milton won’t totally leave us until sometime tomorrow - so I need to work on my to do list. 

IMG_3584.jpeg.0f0db7806ecb2dd6499b82c7fd451f31.jpeg

IMG_3574.jpeg.bcafbed0816f885b15c9f729e1a32afb.jpeg

IMG_3577.jpeg.300968d0df49aed92a03a809deee0242.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. For my fellow Floridians, Tana, Terry & DB, Melisa & DH, Ann & Pat, Bonnie, Chuck & Annie, Roy, Jacqui, Sandi & DB, Morgan & Rossi, Nancy’s DB - Nick, Elizabeth, Sam, Dixie, Debbie, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers.

Cheers to all who are celebrating! 
@Denise T 
Bon Voyage!

Glad you are ok, Elizabeth! 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Johannes Zillinger 2019 Numen Grüner Veltliner (Niederösterreich)

This Austrian white sounds interesting and I would love a taste. I couldn’t find this vintage in any place that would ship to me, but later vintages are available. Online prices of the mentioned vintage start at $43.00 if you live in European countries where it is available. 

Distributor notes

The Gruner Veltliner Velue 2.0 comes from a selection of vineyards located around Johannes’s village. The Kellerberg, Steinthal and Hohes Eck vineyards are planted on loam loess and lime- sandstone soils and vines range between 7 and 55 years old.

Combining creativity and experimentation with an acute understanding of his vineyards, Johannes has a completely unique method of harvesting, fermenting, and blending his Velue 2.0. The Zillinger team harvests the Gruner Veltliner in three passes that occur throughout the month of September. The grapes harvested during the first pass are whole bunch pressed, making up roughly 50% of the blend. The riper second-pass grapes make up 45% of the cuvée and are briefly macerated (12-24hr). The ripest grapes are harvested at the end of September make up 5% of the cuvée and are fully skin-fermented! This three-part harvest allows Jonhannes to play with acidity, fruitiness, and richness of Gruner along the ripening curve.

Fermentation is done in a combination of 70% stainless steel tanks, 25% big barrels, and 5% amphora (for the skin-macertated portion) . The cuvées are blended and aged on the lees with battonage for six months in stainless steel and oak barrels.

Johannes’s Grüner is distinct from examples one might find in Kamptal or Wachau. The flavor profile features notes of apples and herbs on the nose, a medium-bodied texture that is refreshing yet complex and multi-faceted on the palate with shimmering minerality and a hint of phenolic character.

Alc: 11% vol | residual sugar: 1 g/L | pH: 3.15 | total sulfites: <35 mg | Certified Demeter biodynamic.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 20
  • Haha 2

Good cloudy and chilly morning. It’s only going up to about 68 today.

First of all, prayers for all of our Florida daily family. I’m glad to hear that Morgan is in a safer place than her apartment is Tampa.

It’s going to be a tough day here in Reading. 
Trump is holding a rally tonight at 7 and people will have to wait in line starting at 3. 
The area is in the middle of downtown and traffic will be a nightmare.Just for equality Walz was here last weekend. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.🙏❤️

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good morning from a stressed St Petersburg as Milton edges closer today.  I'm up early to check the latest predictions.  While Pinellas County is still in the cone, the landfall is expected south of us in Manatee or Sarasota County.  If that is correct, Tampa Bay will not get the surge.  We will still get the winds and the heavy rain.

Our building, which is about 3 miles inland from Madeira Beach, is close to the intracoastal waterway.  About half of our residents have evacuated, but others have chosen to come here from more susceptable locations.  Our car is at church, well, it is parked in front of the Catholic Church next door as their property is about 3 meters/8 feet higher.

Prayers and best wishes for all of us in harms way.  Keep smiling and sailing away.

Thank you for checking in. Be safe. 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and thank-you for today’s daily edition.  It’s chilly here this morning (44F), frost will soon be on the pumpkin, if those dang squirrels don’t eat them first!  I’ll give a nod to Lief Ericson who discovered much up in this neck of the woods.

I like the quote, I think Cary Grant used it in North By Northwest, that’s where I first heard it.

I think today’s meal could be used on top of a salad or as a snack.  The drink sounds tasty.

I haven’t been to today’s port.  

I should wrap this up as I have training as a volunteer host at the Wells Amtrak Station this morning. Wish me luck.

Prayers for those on our prayer list and for those in Milton’s path.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today.  Bon voyage to @Denise T 🍾🛳️!

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Good Morning! I just read Jenna Fischer Shared That She Was Diagnosed With Breast Cancer and thought it was important to point out that October is breast cancer awareness month.

IMG_1896.jpeg.5fd3893a51583edb7a8fb0d8e4e9c170.jpeg

I will not be celebrating pro-life cupcake day and do not think it is appropriate topic for the Daily.

My thoughts are with everyone in path of Milton.  I salute the essential workers, first responders and everyday volunteers that are trying to get the area prepared for the landfall and will be there in the aftermath of the hurricane.

Agreed. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1