15% Larger than Oasis Class

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/can-a-110000gt-cruise-ship-be-called-boutique.html

Fair use excerpt: "He disclosed Fincantieri is being approached about vessels in the 250,000gt to 260,000gt range—larger than the Oasis class."

Everyone I've talked to in the shipbuilding industry thinks this is Royal Caribbean, though no one has any hard facts.

My question is this, especially for those who have cruised on one or more of the Oasis class ships: If you could design a cruise ship 15% larger than the Oasis class, what would you add?

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/can-a-110000gt-cruise-ship-be-called-boutique.html

Fair use excerpt: "He disclosed Fincantieri is being approached about vessels in the 250,000gt to 260,000gt range—larger than the Oasis class."

Everyone I've talked to in the shipbuilding industry thinks this is Royal Caribbean, though no one has any hard facts.

My question is this, especially for those who have cruised on one or more of the Oasis class ships: If you could design a cruise ship 15% larger than the Oasis class, what would you add?

Wouldn't add me, that's for sure.

Windows in the Schooner Bar.

Adding windows to anything is a trade-off. They could move the Schooner Bar to the outside and move those balcony cabins into the interior, where the Schooner Bar is now. Of course, people will pay more for a balcony than for an interior cabin. Would they get the same or greater marginal revenue by adding windows to the Schooner bar?

RCCL cleverly turned what would normally be interior staterooms into Promenade balcony staterooms. Is there a way to take that trick one step further with a ship 15% larger than Oasis?

One possibility is that the next class will be one deck higher, which would add a lot of exterior space with windows.

Not sure how possible it would be, but maybe a retractable roof over the boardwalk and/or central park, we noticed that at night the boardwalk was not used much as it could get a little cold out there, maybe something to utilise this area more.

Didn't MSC have some artist renderings of a ship larger than The Oasis Class? I think they circulated here in March on the RC boards. It looked like a combo of Oasis and Quantum Class merged from the outside.

Now if it was RC I would want more windows facing the ocean in the RP and wait for it... a third flow rider. :)

Edited by A&L_Ont

Didn't MSC have some artist renderings of a ship larger than The Oasis Class? I think they circulated here in March on the RC boards. It looked like a combo of Oasis and Quantum Class merged from the outside. ...

I thought I saw that too Andrew.

MSC would make more sense to me as they commonly use Fincantieri to build their ships, and I cannot think of any Royal ship built by them.

Adding windows to anything is a trade-off. They could move the Schooner Bar to the outside and move those balcony cabins into the interior, where the Schooner Bar is now. Of course, people will pay more for a balcony than for an interior cabin. Would they get the same or greater marginal revenue by adding windows to the Schooner bar?

Lol. I was joking. Well, sort of.

MSC would make more sense to me as they commonly use Fincantieri to build their ships, and I cannot think of any Royal ship built by them.

I agree. I don't think there are any Royal ships built by them, and I don't see any reason why Royal would start using them now. MSC seems to be going into all-out expansion mode right now, so it makes sense.

I also just so happened to read an article yesterday from Harmony's debut, where Fain is quoted as saying that there are currently no plans to build any ships larger than Oasis Class. Take that for what you will, but he did not seem to hint at anything. And with Oasis Class ships coming until 2021, I personally don't think there will be any groundbreaking news coming from Royal in the next couple years.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

If I was looking to increase revenue, which is what all businesses are, I'd add more cabins.

As for what I'd add if it was my decision as a cruiser, I'd add more deck space and solarium space so everyone's not so crowded and seats aren't in such high demand. With the open areas up on deck above Central Park, the pool deck areas are more limited. Solariums can always use more loungers :-)

Edited by BND