How far do you travel

merknerk

Hello Everyone. Just a curious question. How far do some of you travel for your cruise? We are way up north by the Canadian border. We leave from a small airport and get some crazy connections to get to Florida. Usually leave at 6:00 am and arrive in Florida late. Long day but so worth it to get on the ship and into sunshine. Be interesting to hear from you.

We have traveled from CA to Shanghai for a cruise. Where in Montana do you live? Used to live in Montana.

Hello Everyone. Just a curious question. How far do some of you travel for your cruise? We are way up north by the Canadian border. We leave from a small airport and get some crazy connections to get to Florida. Usually leave at 6:00 am and arrive in Florida late. Long day but so worth it to get on the ship and into sunshine. Be interesting to hear from you.

We've only done the Caribbean and since retiring I drive down via I-95 from the Philly burbs - about 1200 miles each way. Its not so bad - two days to NAS Jacksonville where we spend two nights then on to FLL where we spend two nights at the ES before the cruise. Three days to go home.

Somehow the drive down seems easier than the drive home.:D

Next cruise we will leave from Amsterdam...and we live in Brazil. We will fly from São Paulo ( a two hour drive from our house) to Lisbon, then connect and fly to Amsterdam.

We have left from Port Canaveral, Rome, Harwich ( in Englad), Copenhagen, Barcelona, Aruba, The Galapagos...the closest port we have ever left from was in Buenos Aires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sydney Dubai : Dubai Bologna : Venice Amsterdam : Voyage of the Vikings

Home : Amsterdam Hong Kong : Hong Sydney.

Sydney LA : LA Orlando : Drive Orlando Fort Lauderdale : Trans Atlantic to Venice ( this one we have done 3 times !)

Home : Milan Istanbul : Istanbul Hong Kong : Hong Sydney

These are the 'blessings' of living in Australia :-) but would have it no other way.

Either Melbourne to Quebec via Auckland, Melbourne to Tampa via Auckland, or the upcoming Melbourne to Fort Lauderdale via Auckland.

It might be a slightly shorter distance to Tampa, but it was a longer total travel time due to layovers.

We are in Canada too and have a small airport which requires a puddle hopper to get to any hub to get anywhere,

Getting to FLL does take time.

Our flight to Australia took 40 hours with a layover.

Getting to Europe usually involves a few hours lay over and going to the North of Spain several - but it was all so worth it.

Because of the cost and time flights take, we normally go for longer periods of time rather than short cruises/land trips.

Edited by kazu

I travel as long and as far as I have to so I can get to where the cruise begins, or home when it ends.

I have had 33- and 39-hour "days" returning from South America (that last one in three flights, including one that was badly delayed). I have hired a car to drive me to JFK (over 3 hours) to catch a non-stop flight to Hong Kong. My longest flight---non-stop---was 19 hours Singapore to Newark, followed by an overnight and a 4-hour drive home the next day.

I decided after my last longish flight (Philly to Venice) that about 9 hours wasn't long enough! There wasn't time for a decent sleep. I would rather have a 14-16 hour flight.

We fly out of SeaTac (we're about an hour's drive from the airport). Other than Alaska and some coastal cruises, we have to fly to all our cruises.

Have flown to/from Peru, Copenhagen, London, Rome, Athens, Montreal, FLL, and San Diego for cruises. I hate flying, but the cruise is worth it. :D

Living north of you, we always have a full day journey to get to FLL, for instance. I prefer to take the redeye from YVR at 11:30 pm, connect through Toronto or Montreal, and arrive around 2:30 pm next day.

Door to door, 34 hours, 3 separate flights, Athens to BC.

Ugh! Not going to do that again, but I see it could be even worse!

Heck, it took us that long just to fly home to SeaTac from FLL one time. Thunderstorms over TX as I recall...people sleeping on the floor, no restaurants open after 7pm -- not a good first impression of that airport. :(

Our longest has been a return trip from Istanbul that took three flights and something like 20+ hours of flying. I think it was 32+ hours with hotel to airport, layovers waiting for flights, and then final airport to home. Of course focusing on the Med for the last four years we flown long outbound to Barcelona, Athens, and Venice. Homeward bound, besides Istanbul, we've flown from Athens and Rome. We've racked up some significant frequent flyer miles. :D Next cruise, in just six weeks, is going to seem so simple as we're flying to San Juan, PR then home from Ft Lauderdale. In 23 years of cruising we've only been able to drive to one cruise out of Galveston on the old Celebrity Galaxy.

Edited by Randyk47