Ice Ice baby!

helpthejuggler

I put it in my thermos that I take with me every for day cold water.

Put it in water in our cabin to drink cold water. Also drink the cold melting ice. We get it twice a day and usually use most of it!

I chill wine in our refrigerator.

I read that many people ask their steward for ice to be in their room. We only ask for an ice bucket when we have a bottle of wine to chill Is everyone else drinking much more wine than we do?

What on earth is everyone using all this ice for?

Americans use a lot more ice on a daily basis than Europeans. We put ice in everything. It goes in water, soda, alcoholic beverage, pretty much any liquid that you can imagine is iced by Americans.

DW likes to keep some kind of drink in the cabin. Sometimes we will bring aboard a few large bottles of Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi...and then she has ice. Other times we bring packets of Crystal Light (various flavors) which we can quickly mix and use with ice. Personally, I am happy to just fill a glass with ice and use tap water.

We did notice that the OP is from the UK, where ice usage is not nearly as common as here in the USA. In our country, most households have automatic ice makers (in their refrigerator/freezers and use ice all the time. In Europe this is less common.

Hank

You learn something new everyday. Did not know Europeans are not ice hogs like us Americans

I use it to refill the water bottle I carry around the ship and drink water from all day long. I use to run off to refill said bottle since its cold. I know its the same as the water form the tap but my mind thinks its cleaner.....Most likely its not but I keep kidding myself.

You learn something new everyday. Did not know Europeans are not ice hogs like us Americans

I use it to refill the water bottle I carry around the ship and drink water from all day long. I use to run off to refill said bottle since its cold. I know its the same as the water form the tap but my mind thinks its cleaner.....Most likely its not but I keep kidding myself.

If you go to a European European restaurant as opposed to an American European restaurant, you may if you are lucky get 2 ice cubes. Or else you have to ask for ice in your drink. In the states, your drink is half ice.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I read that many people ask their steward for ice to be in their room. We only ask for an ice bucket when we have a bottle of wine to chill Is everyone else drinking much more wine than we do?

What on earth is everyone using all this ice for?

I also ask for a pitcher of iced tea and water daily, so I use the ice when making myself a drink from either pitcher.

The warm beer myth was sold a sweetener along with "London Bridge".

Lager is chilled, Bitters and stouts may be chilled, but can be at room temperature too. If beer is too cold, it hides the taste, for me at least.

Some have mentioned soda which seems to be an obsession in the US. DW & I hardly touch it.

The British equivalent might be worry about having a kettle to make tea first thing. Never on my list but for some a deal breaker.

Travel and meeting others draws your attention to the little differences between us.

Anyone else noticed the knife and fork thing? So very different!!

Edited by helpthejuggler

The warm beer myth was sold a sweetener along with "London Bridge".

Lager is chilled, Bitters and stouts may be chilled, but can be at room temperature too. If beer is too cold, it hides the taste, for me at least.

Some have mentioned soda which seems to be an obsession in the US. DW & I hardly touch it.

The British equivalent might be worry about having a kettle to make tea first thing. Never on my list but for some a deal breaker.

Travel and meeting others draws your attention to the little differences between us.

Anyone else noticed the knife and fork thing? So very different!!

Apparently I never have...please do explain. :p

Americans switch the hands holding the fork and knife during cutting versus eating. Europeans (and South Americans where I first saw it almost 50 years ago) don't change hands/cutlery when cutting and eating. See this you tube:

Like many of the PPs, we (not Americans) use the ice for soft drinks, DHs G&Ts, and drinking water in our room. Another use that I may or may not have employed, is for waking up a lazy DH from a long afternoon nap.

The knife and fork thing is something I've long been aware of. We were raised with the European style.

Americans switch the hands holding the fork and knife during cutting versus eating. Europeans (and South Americans where I first saw it almost 50 years ago) don't change hands/cutlery when cutting and eating. See this you tube:

How can you make a blanket statement like that? Many North Americans, myself included, are first and second generation folks who grew up without the utensil/hand switching. And if you think later generations all switch utensils/hand, you need to have dinner in a college food service facility.

I carry a small soft sided cooler on top of my rolling suitcase with cameras, sundries in Zip-Loc bags and other items. If I didn't pre-order sodas then the cooler has our allotment of cans between the two of us.

Once aboard we ask our cabin steward to keep the bag filled with ice for the sodas and water we ordered to be delivered. We carry cold water with us for most times leaving the cabin after a morning run or getting off the ship.

After three different brands of soft sided bags, and three different leaks in the cabin I bought a Yeti one in Key West last year. Crazy expensive, but amazing how cold it keeps things and how long ice lasts.

I've used it as a carry-on for cruises we've flown to as well. TSA lets it go right past with cameras and the iPad.

Edited by BallFour4

The knife and fork "thing" is quite interesting. We do a lot of international travel and have found that we can often figure where a diner is from based on how they use a knife and fork...and also what they do with their hands when they walk. Most Americans (not all) use the switch method where they will keep switching hands when they cut...and then eat. When our DD started traveling to Europe for work..she quickly realized the folly of our American switching method and adopted the European (keep the knife and fork in your hands all the time). But personally, I have a problem with the European system (especially the Brits) because they keep the fork's tines pointed down. Trying to eat peas with tines down is a real trick (how many ways can you say mushy peas). So we think the best way is a combination...keeping the knife and fork in the same hand...but also using the fork with the tines up (Brits would insist this is not proper). Another silly think is watching a Brit eating soft mashed potatoes...where the potatoes keep falling off their fork. Put those tines up...and its no problem. We also find it fun to watch them trying to eat fried rice with tines down...

Hank

Some places in Europe, one must request iec/more ice if they like very cold beverages.