What Happens to Injured Birds That Land On Cruise Ships?

moviegal

I just returned from a great cruise on the Carnival Miracle, and I have a question about general cruise ship policy on something that happened during my sailing. It's been nagging at me since I got home last weekend and I thought I'd ask here.

While walking the outside deck one evening, I saw a bird that had obviously been injured after flying into the cruise ship. The bird was scared and shaking and huddled alone on the deck. I immediately went to the guest services desk to alert them and they said they would "have housekeeping take care of it." She assured me no harm would come to the animal, but this left me with a less than fuzzy feeling.

I'd like to know what is the general cruise industry policy about treating or harboring injured birds that land on the ship. Is there a kennel where they are kept before transferring them to a land-based veterinary facility? Or did something most likely sinister happen to that poor bird?

This is a serious question that has just been eating at me since it happened.

I saw two birds that were fighting, one did a nose dive to get away and ended up bouncing off the rear of a life boat and falling onto the deck, no more than a minute later a guy in a jumpsuit walked by, picked up the bird by the wing and tossed it overboard. Don't know the official rules, but I would guess that would be the fate of most birds..

I just returned from a great cruise on the Carnival Miracle, and I have a question about general cruise ship policy on something that happened during my sailing. It's been nagging at me since I got home last weekend and I thought I'd ask here.

While walking the outside deck one evening, I saw a bird that had obviously been injured after flying into the cruise ship. The bird was scared and shaking and huddled alone on the deck. I immediately went to the guest services desk to alert them and they said they would "have housekeeping take care of it." She assured me no harm would come to the animal, but this left me with a less than fuzzy feeling.

I'd like to know what is the general cruise industry policy about treating or harboring injured birds that land on the ship. Is there a kennel where they are kept before transferring them to a land-based veterinary facility? Or did something most likely sinister happen to that poor bird?

It probably either sat around for a while till t was up to taking off or died, I'm sorry but I doubt the cruise line spends money caring for them.

While walking the outside deck one evening, I saw a bird that had obviously been injured after flying into the cruise ship. The bird was scared and shaking and huddled alone on the deck. I immediately went to the guest services desk to alert them and they said they would "have housekeeping take care of it." She assured me no harm would come to the animal, but this left me with a less than fuzzy feeling ...I'd like to know what is the general cruise industry policy about treating or harboring injured birds that land on the ship. Is there a kennel where they are kept before transferring them to a land-based veterinary facility? Or did something most likely sinister happen to that poor bird?

You seem like a very kind and caring person.

But I'm curious about whether you'd seriously think they'd kennel and then transfer wild birds to a land-based vetrinary facility. Realistically, wouldn't that mean they should do also something about all the fish they're churning up in their wake?

I don't mean to be insensitive. But. Again, realistically.

You seem like a very kind and caring person.

But I'm curious about whether you'd seriously think they'd kennel and then transfer wild birds to a land-based vetrinary facility. Realistically, wouldn't that mean they should do also something about all the fish they're churning up in their wake?

I don't mean to be insensitive. But. Again, realistically.

I saw a documentary awhile back about how cruise ships have a huge net that trails behind the ship to gather up all the fish they churn up, in the early hours of the morning they collect the fish which are then boiled, baked, and fried and end up in the buffet as catch of the day.

I saw a documentary awhile back about how cruise ships have a huge net that trails behind the ship to gather up all the fish they churn up, in the early hours of the morning they collect the fish which are then boiled, baked, and fried and end up in the buffet as catch of the day.

And those chicken nugget thingies at the buffet are the sea birds that get caught up in those nets. Yum!:D

Sorry OP, I just couldn't resist that one. Me bad.

I think some serious leg-pulling is going on here. The only place this might be feasible is on some of the VERY small, exclusive ships that are traveling at slow speeds.

This is true. On our upcoming Celebrity cruise, we're signing up for the Fish Gutting Demo. ;)

I

Did you offer to pay for the vet's bill on your cc? If not, why not?

And those chicken nugget thingies at the buffet are the sea birds that get caught up in those nets. Yum!:D

Sorry OP, I just couldn't resist that one. Me bad.

Nope! No way does a seabird "taste like chicken." :p Now if you said tuna salad, I might fall for it. :rolleyes:

I am assuming that you are being caring and serious. That said, think about it. Do you really think that the ship has a vet on board to care for birds and other creatures. Hardly likely.

Hardly worth the week or so of worrying about it.

DON

You sound like a true animal lover. As someone who has worked in the marine environment for many, many years, I can tell you these sort of things are left to the course of nature.

But if it makes you feel any better, having seen birds land on ships an infinite amount of times in the past 22 years, I can tell you that bird probably was not in as much distress as you think.

moviegal, I am an animal lover and would love to think that an injured bird (or any other injured creature) could be cared for/saved on a ship, but I don't know how it could be done. There are issues of location, personnel, resources, logistics, etc., that would make it difficult, if not impossible to properly treat an injury with any level of success. Heck, there's a reason why some injured or ill passengers are medevaced back to the nearest port. They need more than can be provided on a cruise ship.

As sad as it is, I think the chance of saving the bird was slim to none. They just aren't equipped to do it. :(

On a cruise back from the Canaries Islands to the UK a racing pigeon joined us for a few days. She was quickly named Peggy and was happy with all the crumbs etc on the grill terrace deck. Then one morning she had gone!, hopefully to joine other pigeons in Portugal but i suspect if she flew home her fate was sealed :( no use for a racing pigeon who takes a ride on a slow ship.

Birds taking a lift are common on ships travelling between the UK and Norway. They prefer the energy efficient trip and free food to flying :)

Nope! No way does a seabird "taste like chicken." :p Now if you said tuna salad, I might fall for it. :rolleyes:

Neither do the 'chicken' nugget thingies.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Who does take care of the animals on board , service dogs and such ??

Some body must set up litter boxes / poop bags /portable kennels /what-ever .:confused:

Edited by biker@sea