Chip-Enabled Credit Cards in Europe

colliercruiser

I've heard that Europe uses chip-enabled credit cards widely. Do these transactions require a pin or is a signature ok?

I just received a new chip-enabled card, expedited overnight to me since we leave soon. I wanted it since it is free and doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. However, the pin is being mailed separately and may not make it here in time.

Will I find no pin a hassle or only at some terminals & kiosks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make sure the pin is not the one for using at an ATM to get cash advances and one that would work in Europe.

Most, not all USA chip cards are chip & sign.

Edited by ORV

Most places will work without a pin, they will request a signature.

Some places may not allow the card without a PIN, even though technically they are capable of accepting the card, they may choose NOT to allow it.

Places to be concerned about are automated vending machines (like for subway bus and train ticketing for example).

Those you may not be able to use without a PIN and will have to seek personal assistance or use cash.

US banks do not have chip and pin. Only chip and sign. Thus your card will work almost everywhere. It will not work at gasoline pumps and such. Cle is correct that some ticket machines will not work as well.

Remember the USA is the ONLY country in the World that does not have all chipped cards. Makes you wonder with all the hacking we have had recently doesn't it.

To the OP:

I've had a chip & pin card for almost two years & I'm in the U.S. the bank that issued it is a U.S. branch of a British based bank...

FYI: First time I used it in Europe I had to use it at a manned terminal, a little grocery store, after that I was able to use it to buy train tickets at kiosks, I think all chip & pin cards are like this, if you want to use it in an unmanned kiosk you have to use it with a live person with the pin one time first...

I hope this makes sense to you :)

I also have a chip & signature card that I was able to use at museums, shops etc., without any problem.

My ATM card does not have a chip, but I was able to use it to withdraw Euros & GBP no problem, as it was part of the STAR network, (look for the symbol on the back of card)

Hope this helps! Have fun!

US banks do not have chip and pin. Only chip and sign. Thus your card will work almost everywhere. It will not work at gasoline pumps and such. Cle is correct that some ticket machines will not work as well.

Remember the USA is the ONLY country in the World that does not have all chipped cards. Makes you wonder with all the hacking we have had recently doesn't it.

There are some US banks that do have Chip and PIN. It's true that the current conversion and the bulk of US cards is geared to Chip and Sign, but there are some major Banks that did issue Chip and PIN cards 2-3 years ago (maybe even more) for international travelers who were having issues overseas. Several airline affinity cards come to mind.

I've heard that Europe uses chip-enabled credit cards widely. Do these transactions require a pin or is a signature ok?

I just received a new chip-enabled card, expedited overnight to me since we leave soon. I wanted it since it is free and doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. However, the pin is being mailed separately and may not make it here in time.

Will I find no pin a hassle or only at some terminals & kiosks?

Have had a chip and sign card for 2 years. Have used it all over Europe and never had a problem. Most places know it is a chip and sign.

Chip/sig will be accepted at most places in Europe. But there are some annoying exceptions such as automatic gas pumps (often the only way to buy fuel at night or Sunday's), ticket vending machines at train stations, parking garages, etc. and some merchants.

Hank

Just back from 6 weeks in Europe.

Used my Chip and PIN enabled Credit Card over 100 times, no problems. Inconvenience at times as had to go inside at restaurants (sometimes) to input PIN as some didnt have the mobile hand held machines to bring to me.

Was never asked to sign, just PIN

Would anyone who has a US bank based chip + PIN card please list the banks that are issuing them? There's no rule against naming banks on CC, so would love to know - I'd be willing to cancel one of my existing cards and take out a new one that provided chip & pin.

Would anyone who has a US bank based chip + PIN card please list the banks that are issuing them? There's no rule against naming banks on CC, so would love to know - I'd be willing to cancel one of my existing cards and take out a new one that provided chip & pin.

USAA for one. A search on the Europe boards will find dozens of threads on the topic, with many names of banks that issue PIN and chip cards.

Just back from 6 weeks in Europe.

Used my Chip and PIN enabled Credit Card over 100 times, no problems. Inconvenience at times as had to go inside at restaurants (sometimes) to input PIN as some didnt have the mobile hand held machines to bring to me.

Was never asked to sign, just PIN

Without knowing what bank and type of card you have, this information is completely useless. Very few US credit cards are chip and pin. The agreement between US banks, credit card companies, and vendors only requires chip and signature. This is what virtually all US cards will be.

US chip and pin cards are rare. Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard is one. Diners Club is another. Wells Fargo Propel World American Express is yet another. But beware with American Express cards - they are not accepted in many places around the world. We traveled with a couple to Asia in January and February. They had several occasions where the hotels would not accept their American Express cards. We ended up having to charge their rooms on our Visa cards.

Some US credit unions that deal with international military or business travelers also offer chip and pin, but not all do.

Edited by SantaFeFan

When traveling overseas, I use my Barclaycard with C & P and have never had a problem. No FTF's, though it does have an annual fee. This is one card in which the user needs to be very familiar with the benefits [those pages of fine print we either toss or file away] and make active use of the travel miles and how to apply them to travel related purchases in a timely manner.

Prior to any travel outside of my immediate area, I always notify the credit card company. With Barclaycard, my first purchase is at a manned shop, usually the airport upon arrival, where I first have to sign for the purchase. After that I have been able to use the card in the C & P format. I've found their customer service very good at going over this process on the telephone so that I can use the card at rail, gas and bus kiosks.

My other credit cards are now all chip enabled, and I have used them overseas, too. However, these cards require a signature and human interaction.

Discover and Amex are not the best cards for foreign travel and remain at home.

Darcy

Thanks to all for all of these details and "lively" discussion. But now what may be a question with an obvious answer, but I'll ask anyway since I'm a bit confused.

If i have a chip-enabled credit card, how do I tell if it is chip & pin or chip & signature? Do I need to call the card issuer or can I tell by the card itself?

i got a chip card from capital one last year. an item to note is that you don't quickly swipe a chip card in a foreign kiosk reader. you place it in the reader and leave it. i almost missed my train because i kept inserting and removing, as you do in the US, and the transaction kept failing.

I do not believe any USA bank offers Chip and pin.Will someone prove me wrong? please, cause I would like one. Also we just returned from almost 3 weeks in Europe, not once was I refused service because I had no pin. Even out in the boonies of Hungary.

When you received the card, you should have been told to create, or you were assigned a PIN number.

You can call the issuer, but I think you have a chip enabled card w/o a PIN.

I confirmed with the bank that my new card is chip & signature. The confusion was that they are sending a pin separately, but they said that is only for ATM withdrawals in the US.

USAA and Chase for two. All banks should be issuing them by the end of this month.

I do not believe any USA bank offers Chip and pin.Will someone prove me wrong? please, cause I would like one. Also we just returned from almost 3 weeks in Europe, not once was I refused service because I had no pin. Even out in the boonies of Hungary.

USAA does in fact issue PIN and chip cards. We have one. It is our back up card. A small number of other banks do as well. It has been discussed on the Europe boards extensively, and already mentioned here.

Your European experience is also not uncommon, and has been reported MANY times on the Europe boards, including by ourselves. We DO NOT need chip or PIN and chip cards to travel in Europe, or as we just did, in Australia either. Not yet, at least.