Disappointment

bobby02

Aw man, I'm also sorry to hear of your (OP's) troubles. I guess in the grand scheme of things there are a lot worse mistakes, but this one had to have been a big disappointment. At least you were in San Diego, which isn't such a bad place to be to start an impromptu vacation. I hope you were able to recover and have some fun.

Did an overseas land tour by bus a few years ago. Upon leaving each hotel and getting on the bus to the next hotel, the tour guide REQUIRED everyone to hold up their passport.

He told us he did this once and one gentleman refused to show his passport as he is an experienced traveler and he didn't need the tour guide to babysit him. When they got to the border, guess who discovered he left his passport in the hotel safe?

To be clear the plan would be for the passengers to remain behind in the embarkation port, have the passports overnighted and then for them to catch up to the ship at a later port. I don't think anyone suggested that they board and wait for the overnighted passports on the ship.

It should be noted that the OP realized they forgot their passports when they went to check in to their hotel. Depending on what time of day this was, the passports could have been overnighted and the OP may not have missed any part of their cruise.

It should be noted that the OP realized they forgot their passports when they went to check in to their hotel. Depending on what time of day this was, the passports could have been overnighted and the OP may not have missed any part of their cruise.

I don't think so. They flew from NC on the 7th, and stayed at the Sheraton. The problem occurred on the 8th, the day the ship left. The OP said it occurred when they tried to register with Holland America which makes sense since as it was the 8th. The OP said 'motel' but I think they mis-typed and meant at the port. Of course, a rep may have been at the Sheraton that morning too, but it was the 8th.

It is too bad they didn't post on the 8th and possibly got the suggestion of couriering their passports for the 9th which might have allowed them to catch up to the cruise. Even better would have been the Holland rep suggesting this.

Anyways, as someone else said, being stranded in San Diego is not the worst place on the planet to be stranded. Frankly, I'd never book a cruise leaving from San Diego because I'd probable say " Screw it, I'm staying!" That city is a beautiful place! :)

Edited by DirtyDawg

I don't think so. They flew from NC on the 7th, and stayed at the Sheraton. The problem occurred on the 8th, the day the ship left. The OP said it occurred when they tried to register with Holland America which makes sense since as it was the 8th. The OP said 'motel' but I think they mis-typed and meant at the port. Of course, a rep may have been at the Sheraton that morning too, but it was the 8th.

He did say motel but re-reading the context, I think you might be right.

I don't think we'll hear from OP again. I see he is checking in here throughout the day, but not posting. It's my thought that he knows there was nothing to be done, and was just venting about missing the cruise. I would be disappointed too, but of course it was OP's own fault, I'm afraid.

HUH? Reread post #9.

Maybe read the post I quoted.

The post I quoted stated that non-citizens do not have military ID cards.

I know they do, and YOU know they do, but that poster seems to not know this.

Another point, did they actually speak to a HAL rep? Or just the check in person at the port?

Most of the check in people work for the port, not the cruise line. And they have their rules, and they follow them.

Not that HAL could have done anything, but maybe an actual HAL employee would of had some suggestions.

Also, does HAL actually allow embarkation at other than the starting point? Not all cruise lines do, and not at all ports.

Another point, did they actually speak to a HAL rep? Or just the check in person at the port?

Most of the check in people work for the port, not the cruise line. And they have their rules, and they follow them.

Not that HAL could have done anything, but maybe an actual HAL employee would of had some suggestions.

Also, does HAL actually allow embarkation at other than the starting point? Not all cruise lines do, and not at all ports.

The only time I've heard of a cruise line not allowing embarkation at a later point in the cruise is when the PVSA may be implicated by the passenger doing so which usually occurs when a closed loop cruise is involved. Since the OP was not on a closed loop cruise I cannot think of a reason why they wouldn't be allowed to board at a later port.

He did say motel but re-reading the context, I think you might be right.

I know that you've re-read the post and see it now but this is another one of those little things in the story that make me pause regarding its authenticity. Yes, it could have happened, but since it is a first post with no follow up it's also possible someone is having us on. The thing that makes me pause regarding this point- you check into a hotel, cruise is the next day, and you don't at any time during the night double check to make sure you still have everything? I realize that not everyone is as, um, attentive to these things as I am but I am pretty sure that I would be verifying that we had our boarding passes still and that our passports hadn't gone missing throughout the trip and I would have realized that we didn't have them.

My husband is retired military and we both have military ID’s. The only difference is that his has no expiration date whereas mine is only good for four years before I have to get I renewed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe read the post I quoted.

The post I quoted stated that non-citizens do not have military ID cards.

I know they do, and YOU know they do, but that poster seems to not know this.

No you quoted my post and there is the confusion. But it doesn't matter. Good we agree that you need to be a legal immigrant permanently living in the United States to join the U.S Military as an Enlisted member. And you must have served and retired from the U.S Military to receive a Military ID.

Edited by davekathy

Often there are U.S. Immigration Officers in t he terminal from earlier in the day when they cleared the ship and the disembarking guests. Perhaps, they are consulted and they make the determination if the ID being presented is adequate and acceptable to permit the guest to board? I don't know this for fact but think I have once heard something like that.

Ithink the people working at the port maybe work for a company that provides such trained individuals for various cruise lines in various ports. There is a company name rolling around my head but is probably wrong. Inter cruise or Inter line is ratttling in my empty brain That could explain why I have seen some of the same people working in different HAL terminals in various cities. ..

Someitmes and only usually if pre-approved permission has been granted.