Sea Days

babs135

Why do some people book a cruise and then moan about the number of sea days? (seen on another thread). Did they not look at the itinerary? Did the ports to be visited override the fact that there were a lot of sea days?

Would you book such a cruise if you didn't like sea days? Personally DH and I both love sea days so booking wouldn't be a problem.

probably because 1) they are limited to certain time periods for cruising like school breaks, 2) the price was affordable, 3) they like the ship and the itinerary other than the number of sea days.

So, they booked it because it was an only suitable option, but that doesn't stop them from disliking the sea days. I dislike sea days. If it's a rainy sea day, there is nothing to do on a princess ship, for example, with a kid....

DH and I don't like sea days. Our upcoming Mex. Riviera cruise has three of them. I'm not going to complain about it here because of course I knew that when I booked it.

Booked this cruise because we really wanted to cruise to the Mex. Riviera locales and I couldn't find anything with LESS sea days.

I will admit I am a little anxious about whether we will be bored and whether I will be sea sick (I have on previous sea days) but I am trying to prepare for these scenarios--I booked us a spa cabin so we can spend a lot of time there on the sea days, and I will be prepared for the worst as far as getting sea sick.

So...sometimes we have to take the sea days along with the rest of the itinerary that we want. We will certainly try to make them as fun and enjoyable as possible :cool:

Maybe someone booking a cruise for the first (or even second) time would not actually look at the full itinerary. Maybe someone who is not up to speed using a web browser and might be totally dependent on others for information would not look at the complete itinerary.

Other than that it's a silly thing to complain about. It's like accepting a porcupine as a gift then complaining it has quills. Or like buying a red car and complaining that it's red. Whether one likes, dislikes, or is indifferent about sea days is irrelevant. You cruise what you choose, sea days included.

Why do some people book a cruise and then moan about the number of sea days? (seen on another thread). Did they not look at the itinerary? Did the ports to be visited override the fact that there were a lot of sea days?

Would you book such a cruise if you didn't like sea days? Personally DH and I both love sea days so booking wouldn't be a problem.

In my case, "she who must be obeyed" decided that she wanted to do the cruise. I hate sea days. I did manage to redeem things a bit by insisting that we do 23 days on land before the cruise so the trip will not be a total unmitigated disaster.

DON

I am delighted that there are so many who do not like sea days. I enjoy them, and find that a T/A (with perhaps 8 or 10 sea days) is a great way for coming home from Europe - and the fact that so many do not like them does two things which make them better for me: the ships are less crowded because they rarely sell out, and the cost is low because a large part of the potential market is not interested.

So, all of you who do not like sea days, please tell all your friends how bad T/A's are.

I am delighted that there are so many who do not like sea days. I enjoy them, and find that a T/A (with perhaps 8 or 10 sea days) is a great way for coming home from Europe - and the fact that so many do not like them does two things which make them better for me: the ships are less crowded because they rarely sell out, and the cost is low because a large part of the potential market is not interested.

So, all of you who do not like sea days, please tell all your friends how bad T/A's are.

I already tell my friends how bad it is, but from the POV of an LST making the transit in rough seas the entire time. That seems to quell their curiosity.

If it's the thread I'm thinking about, I think there were several that gave explanations on why they cruise when they don't like sea days.

I for one hate to fly. Have done it several times and just don't want to ever do it again unless I have no other choice. But there are places I want to see that I can't get there any other way but ship or air. So I take the ship angle and deal with the sea days. One in between each Port is nice to rest up sometimes. I don't really quote complain about sea days...just part of cruising. Probably one of my least favorite parts...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

I love sea days & won't book a cruise w/o at least 1, though I prefer at least 3 per 7 days. And the older I get, the more I need a sea day every couple of ports.

Not look at the full itinerary? I can't imagine doing that! How can anyone NOT know where they're going before they agree to go?! Of course, I choose a cruise based on the itinerary, not the actual ship so "where" is #1.

Itinerary + sea days = my kind of cruise!

I cruise for the ports first and foremost but theres something about sea days I will always love. I always thought I would never book a cruise that had more sea days than ports but to cover a good amount of ground you need them (learnt that on my Panama Canal cruise) and sea days in a row is no problem.

Ideal ratio is 2:1 ports to sea days but happy with more.

I love sea days & won't book a cruise w/o at least 1, though I prefer at least 3 per 7 days. And the older I get, the more I need a sea day every couple of ports.

Not look at the full itinerary? I can't imagine doing that! How can anyone NOT know where they're going before they agree to go?! Of course, I choose a cruise based on the itinerary, not the actual ship so "where" is #1.

Itinerary + sea days = my kind of cruise!

We recently came back from a cruise that was suppose to be very port intensive. In its original itinerary it was only meant to have one sea day--the last one--before returning to home port. Due to some unfortunate events, the captain changed the itinerary and instead of one sea day at the end, we had two sea days at the beginning, two dropped ports (which were the main reason why we chose this cruise), and the addition of another random port. We had chosen this cruise for the itinerary, were happy at the thought of getting off the ship every day, and were quite happy that our last day was to be a relaxing, packing, reminiscing sea day. Unfortunately, this is not what happened in the end. On top of this, the other couple we were with finished their books while waiting all day in a terminal to board the ship. Consequently, they did not have new reading material for the two sea days, and this particular ship did not have a library or a shop that sold books. They advertised a library, but that turned out to be nothing more than a paltry cupboard with a handful of paperbacks--most of them in foreign languages. So, not being the drinking, gambling, or lie on a deck chair in the sun all day types, we found these two sea days a bit challenging.

We recently came back from a cruise that was suppose to be very port intensive. In its original itinerary it was only meant to have one sea day--the last one--before returning to home port. Due to some unfortunate events, the captain changed the itinerary and instead of one sea day at the end, we had two sea days at the beginning, two dropped ports (which were the main reason why we chose this cruise), and the addition of another random port. We had chosen this cruise for the itinerary, were happy at the thought of getting off the ship every day, and were quite happy that our last day was to be a relaxing, packing, reminiscing sea day. Unfortunately, this is not what happened in the end. On top of this, the other couple we were with finished their books while waiting all day in a terminal to board the ship. Consequently, they did not have new reading material for the two sea days, and this particular ship did not have a library or a shop that sold books. They advertised a library, but that turned out to be nothing more than a paltry cupboard with a handful of paperbacks--most of them in foreign languages. So, not being the drinking, gambling, or lie on a deck chair in the sun all day types, we found these two sea days a bit challenging.

One word: kindle

I carry as many books with me as I like without adding a micro gram to my weight or a micro liter to my packing volume.

Personally, I like sea days, and try to choose an itinerary that has a good mix of ports and sea days. A port intensive cruise can be very exhausting, at least for us. Maybe those that complain about sea days don't know how to relax and enjoy a day with nothing special planned.

• 2 weeks later...

We prefer longer (more than 30 day) cruises with at least half the days being sea days. DW once teased that our perfect cruise would be a 100 day round the world with no ports :). On sea days we spend a lot of time with our Kindles, which usually have more than 100 unread books from which to choose.

Hank

I find it quite amusing that so many people who are committed cruisers and vacation on the sea, do not really like the sea. Their ship is really an RV that floats. The RV "parks" in a different city every day and travels by night. If the distance between 2 "cities" is large, the RV must drive during the day which upsets some people. I guess people don't enjoy relaxing and thinking, and need significant external stimulation.

A true sea person is one who enjoys watching the sea from the ship, not one who races to get off as soon as the gangplank is down.