Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

OK- please don't attack me, but I confess-- if that had happened on our cruise on that ship the week before, for which my spouse and I paid for the airfare and balcony cabins for 12 family members (think $$$$) and this happened, I'd have been horrified and terribly sad for the victim and her family, but yes, I'd probably have been a bit skeeved. Not sure I'd have expected anything, but I'd have not been a happy camper.

OK- please don't attack me, but I confess-- if that had happened on our cruise on that ship the week before, for which my spouse and I paid for the airfare and balcony cabins for 12 family members (think $$$$) and this happened, I'd have been horrified and terribly sad for the victim and her family, but yes, I'd probably have been a bit skeeved. Not sure I'd have expected anything, but I'd have not been a happy camper.

I'm sure most (all) on board were not happy.

I'm sure most (all) on board were not happy.

Of course we weren't happy about it. Who would be?! A woman was murdered! Lots of things can happen on cruises that people aren't happy about. Weather can be bad, ports can be missed, etc.

On my very first cruise, the desalinization unit went out one night. We woke up to salty water. No water means no coffee. A lot of people weren't happy about it. It was annoying, but it only lasted a couple of hours. What compensation did we get? Free bottled water. Period. Was our cruise ruined? No.

A horrible thing happened. A woman lost her life. Her children were left motherless. Their cruise was ruined. I was merely inconvenienced for a few hours. The impact on me was so much less than on this poor woman's family.

I am happy about the compensation we received. It was enough.

Of course we weren't happy about it. Who would be?! A woman was murdered! Lots of things can happen on cruises that people aren't happy about. Weather can be bad, ports can be missed, etc.

On my very first cruise, the desalinization unit went out one night. We woke up to salty water. No water means no coffee. A lot of people weren't happy about it. It was annoying, but it only lasted a couple of hours. What compensation did we get? Free bottled water. Period. Was our cruise ruined? No.

A horrible thing happened. A woman lost her life. Her children were left motherless. Their cruise was ruined. I was merely inconvenienced for a few hours. The impact on me was so much less than on this poor woman's family.

I am happy about the compensation we received. It was enough.

Why you think you are entitled to any compensation is puzzling.

• 2 months later...

Our Seattle CBS station has one of those consumer advocate people, Jesse Jones. Tonights story was the family who was on the Emerald Princess this summer and had their cruise of a lifetime ruined. They weren't happy with the cruise lines compensation so wrote to the company. They didn't get anywhere with that so went to the news station. Guess what, he didn't get anywhere either.

I get it, it is very disappointing when things get changed on your vacation. Sometimes that is just the way it is. I'm glad the company didn't give in.

Our Seattle CBS station has one of those consumer advocate people, Jesse Jones. Tonights story was the family who was on the Emerald Princess this summer and had their cruise of a lifetime ruined. They weren't happy with the cruise lines compensation so wrote to the company. They didn't get anywhere with that so went to the news station. Guess what, he didn't get anywhere either.

I get it, it is very disappointing when things get changed on your vacation. Sometimes that is just the way it is. I'm glad the company didn't give in.

When I read the first paragraph I was aghast at the thought that the family destroyed by this tragedy would be complaining about Princess on a consumer advocate news report.

Thankfully the second paragraph implied that it was just a random family demanding the world for their alleged inconvenience.

• 2 weeks later...

I also was on the ship , near the crime. My opinion is that the company did many things wrong . They could have made several decisions the night of the murder and the next day that would not have affected us in such a negative way. I could go on and on. You had to be there to understand what I mean. Twenty five percent off on a next cruise within the next year is token.

Today update https://www.yahoo.com/news/prosecutors-won-apos-t-seek-183705644.html

Resume: Federal prosecutors will not seek the death penalty & Kenneth Manzanares has pleaded not guilty.

Would be great if the person who wrote the article didn't title it "won't seek death penalty for husband accused of pushing wife off cruise ship". Seriously, if you are going to write an article about this tragic situation at least you can pay attention to what happened!

I also was on the ship , near the crime. My opinion is that the company did many things wrong . They could have made several decisions the night of the murder and the next day that would not have affected us in such a negative way. I could go on and on. You had to be there to understand what I mean. Twenty five percent off on a next cruise within the next year is token.

There are so many things I could say to you, but theywould probably get me thrown off Cruise Critic, so I’ll just say WOW!

I sure would like the details of what happened and what you think the cruise line should have done. From my perspective, this murder was not the cruise line's fault and they had zero obligations to give other passengers any kind of compensation. You might consider that some (if not all) of what the cruise line did is based on protocols...and FBI direction (they have jurisdiction). The ship became a crime scene and Princess (and most other lines) cooperate with the law enforcement authority who has jurisdiction.

Hank

I sure would like the details of what happened and what you think the cruise line should have done. From my perspective, this murder was not the cruise line's fault and they had zero obligations to give other passengers any kind of compensation. You might consider that some (if not all) of what the cruise line did is based on protocols...and FBI direction (they have jurisdiction). The ship became a crime scene and Princess (and most other lines) cooperate with the law enforcement authority who has jurisdiction.

Hank

I agree.

Tom

Hank

I have been following this since it happened We were on the Ruby the same week on a AK cruise out of Seattle same as the Emerald. Bad things happen all the time that we do not have control over. I am not sure what the ship could have differently in this incident. So those that feel Princess could have done something different, please let us know what it is.

It is often easy to look back and be an expert on what "should have been done" after something has happened. It's too bad that you didn't tell someone on the ship what they needed to do at the time to prevent what was going to happen. I'm sure that the ship's personnel from the captain right on down to the lowest ranking person would have greatly appreciated your insight at that point. Letting everybody know now what should have been done then is pretty useless.

Tom

It is sad that this poor woman’s murder inconvenienced most of the passengers aboard. Alaska is a bucket list cruise and a first cruise for many passengers. Princess is very conscious of this and it would be very bad business for them to give people a poor experience.I would be interested to hear from 2+2 as to what exactly they feel Princess could have been handled differently. I agree with the other posters. I think much of what transpired after the murder was orchestrated by law enforcement and was probably out of Princess’s control. The ship was a crime scene. 2+2 , please give us a detailed list of what you feel Princess could have done differently. Was there enough food and drink?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Things happen all the time such as murder, rape, robbery etc. The ship is no more immune from this than we are at home and all have happened on a ship at some time. Once the lady was murdered, Princess had to notify the police and had to do what they dictated. The police and FBI in this case have to secure the crime scene and gather all the information they can find which includes getting statements from everyone on board as to what they saw or heard. Princess had no control until the FBI released the ship. I don't know what else Princess could do.

There comes a time I guess that well all start to loose faith in humanity. Today just may be that tipping point. This is what I will say having insight as to how cruise ships report to local and federal agencies. The ship....yes the entire ship was an active crime scene no longer under control of Princess. All agencies act on their own time frame and your time frame is not their primary concern! Yes, I totally understand that it is an expensive trip and trip of a lifetime. Princess A) did not commit the murder B) did not have a crystal ball to prevent the murder therefore really didn't have to compensate anything other than port charges. Sadly, while some passengers vacations were ruined....try being the family who's life has been ruined.

Wow. Cruise line isn't responsible for some freak committing murder. You sound like yet another entitled individual. Sickening.

Please do. Inquiring minds want to know. 25% off your next cruise. No way. If I were you I would refuse the offer from Princess. :rolleyes:

Edited by davekathy

Oh no...I thought this thread had been gone by the way side....thank you poster who brought it back to life:o...... good timing to remind me as I am leaving on Emerald on Sunday....and I just happened to have a mini suite thank goodness it is on Emerald deck port side opposite and one deck down of where the tragedy took place.

At the time many of us not on the sailing followed this thread for many reasons, mine was curiosity....so of course I had to click on the thread again.....

I was hoping for an up date(thx gerelmx) but instead...I find someone concerned about compensation. Whatever:evilsmile:....I happened to be going with a family group on this sailing all our cabins are lined up in a row....unfortunately I will be reminded of the sadness this family had to endure, and surprised that people feel they should benefit from it.....

Life is to short to be so self absorbed, to not be thankful that this tragedy did not befall any of our relatives....we are all venerable...

L:Dri

Good grief, someone was murdered. Why are so many people worried about compensation.....:mad:

Bob