Silly question: How much time between ordering drinks?? since sharing - not allowed.

Newbie545

The strange way that you have the question worded leads a reader to think you are contemplating buying one drink package for two people to use.

Sure, you can get a drink for someone, wait 10 to 15 minutes and go get another drink for yourself - all on one card. However, aren't we all grown up from the frat boy activities of Carnival Cruise line? Just spend the money and don't try to cheat the system.

Now, if that wasn't your intent, why ask what time interval does a person have to wait before a second drink is ordered?

I'll give you two scenarios.

You stand at the bar and order a shot of something. You don't leave the bar, down the shot and order another, and a minute later you'll get it.

Scenario two. You order a scotch and water. You carry it away, out of sight of the barman. Two minutes pass and you are back, ordering a bourbon and soda. No can do.

It's pretty clear in the first instance both shots are for you, and in the second, that you are getting a drink for someone else. One minute later, ten minutes later, it doesn't matter. No sharing allowed.

Also, I've ordered a drink before that I didn't like and left it and ordered something else from the same waiter/bartender in under 5 minutes; it's clear both were for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto, I've ordered 2 within seconds. Sometimes I like a Scotch with my Beer. I've also had drinks that were terrible and I immediately ordered something else. I've never had them say anything when ordering drinks in rapid succession whether they be the same or different. I doubt the bar staff cares much what you are doing with those drinks.

The one drink per card is quite irritating. For example, at bedtime I'd like a nightcap and a bottle of water. I'd have to order the nightcap, then get a water at another bar or wait a minute or two. BTW the bottled water they serve on the classic package is disgusting, we paid the extra for Evian.

The strange way that you have the question worded leads a reader to think you are contemplating buying one drink package for two people to use.

Sure, you can get a drink for someone, wait 10 to 15 minutes and go get another drink for yourself - all on one card. However, aren't we all grown up from the frat boy activities of Carnival Cruise line? Just spend the money and don't try to cheat the system.

Now, if that wasn't your intent, why ask what time interval does a person have to wait before a second drink is ordered?

Don't intend to get drinks for others just didn't want the endless "sharing isn't allowed" posts as it's posted often enough. Meant it due to the 1 drink per order rule. I ask because on other lines (costa, MSC) a few years ago, we did have to wait(2-3min) before we could order another drink even if we were the only one at the bar. Claimed it was for safety reasons. Guess Celebrity will allow people to get hammered enough to pass out rather than cut people off beforehand.

Edited by Newbie545

The one drink per card is quite irritating. For example, at bedtime I'd like a nightcap and a bottle of water. I'd have to order the nightcap, then get a water at another bar or wait a minute or two. BTW the bottled water they serve on the classic package is disgusting, we paid the extra for Evian.

Actually, it is one (1) drink per person per card. If you make it a habit of ordering a drink at night and a bottle water, that would be fine. As you would have established a pattern that the bartender would recognize.

Were you to establish a pattern of ordering two (2) drinks within a few moments, then there would be suspicions abound, unless consumed at the bar or in good view of the attendants or bartenders.

Since there are two (2) of us together, either of us will take the others seapass to present for two (2) beverages at one time, so there is no confusion about what is what.

bon voyage

We've never had a problem ordering a drink and a bottle of water at the same time.

Don't intend to get drinks for others just didn't want the endless "sharing isn't allowed" posts as it's posted often enough. Meant it due to the 1 drink per order rule. I ask because on other lines (costa, MSC) a few years ago, we did have to wait(2-3min) before we could order another drink even if we were the only one at the bar. Claimed it was for safety reasons. Guess Celebrity will allow people to get hammered enough to pass out rather than cut people off beforehand.

I can assure you that bartenders will cut you off if they believe you are out of order or belligerent in their presence or appear to be over the top.

In fact on one sailing there was a passenger who decided that I was not to be in the same bar as them, they were obviously inebriated, the bartender cut them off and called security due to their behaviour... did not see them the reat of the sailing, so either they were embarrassed or decided to steer clear...

bon voyage

You are correct, sharing is not allowed. You should not have a problem ordering a mixed drink, beer or wine along with a bottle of water. If you order a something that you don't like, say a martini, and leave it on the bar for the bartender to take, then order a different martini, no problem. If you order a rum and coke and down it in a few minutes and order another, again no problem.If you order the rum & coke and leave the bar and then return to the same bar, or a different one in a minute or so and order a glass of wine they will begin to get suspicious that you are sharing the beverage package.

We've never had a problem ordering a drink and a bottle of water at the same time.

I do that quite often as well. Never have had a problem. Both are for me. I like to drink water when I drink alcohol. It keeps me from getting headaches.

I can assure you that bartenders will cut you off if they believe you are out of order or belligerent in their presence or appear to be over the top.

In fact on one sailing there was a passenger who decided that I was not to be in the same bar as them, they were obviously inebriated, the bartender cut them off and called security due to their behaviour... did not see them the reat of the sailing, so either they were embarrassed or decided to steer clear...

bon voyage

I've also seen it happen that if the passenger gets too out of line they are removed from the ship at the next port.:eek:

My travelling companion both get the package, when we order drinks the waiter often just takes the one card (when they recognise us).

We don't drink that fast, so couldn't tell you the interval on ordering. Though I have ordered a shot and a coffee and made my own Irish coffee and no one has said anything to me.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

We've been told it was absolutely fine to order a bottle of water with a drink and that wouldn't raise any red flags. Oftentimes, we would order a nightcap from Cafe Al Baccio and a bottle of water at the same time to take up to our room and never had a problem doing that.

However, my experience differs from others in ordering a drink with alcohol ... one right after another. I had just ordered a glass of wine and the waiter set it down on the table in front of me. No sooner had he walked away, this lady was taking off her coat and knocked my glass of wine over. I ordered another and that drink ended up on my bill. I was told it was because I had to wait 15 minutes between orders. They took it off my bill after explaining why I ordered two drinks in rapid succession ... but that is what they told me as to why it showed up on my bill. I don't doubt that others have had different experiences .... but just telling you of mine.

The crew have common sense. As was pointed out, they can tell what you're doing. The worst thing about two people is not whether you steal a drink once in while for your companion, it is what the cruise line will do to everyone because of the habit.

A lot of people on Carnival boards used to brag about sharing drinks. Now BOTH persons in a cabin have to buy the package if one does. They also limit the package to 15 drinks (liquor & non alcoholic) per day. Holland America also requires either both or none buy the drinks package and limit. Royal Caribbean now requires both passengers in a cabin to buy the liquor package too.

Do you want that to happen on Celebrity? If they determine a lot of people are sharing, they could very well institute a similar policy.

I like top shelf liquor. My DW only drinks one or at most two liquor drinks a day. The policy of us buying the same package would prevent me from buy it because the high price doesn't justify my wife paying for it as well.

Never had an issue getting a cocktail and a bottle of water with just my own card. (btw, my wife thinks Evian is disgusting, different strokes!)

The crew have common sense. As was pointed out, they can tell what you're doing. The worst thing about two people is not whether you steal a drink once in while for your companion, it is what the cruise line will do to everyone because of the habit.

A lot of people on Carnival boards used to brag about sharing drinks. Now BOTH persons in a cabin have to buy the package if one does. They also limit the package to 15 drinks (liquor & non alcoholic) per day. Holland America also requires either both or none buy the drinks package and limit. Royal Caribbean now requires both passengers in a cabin to buy the liquor package too.

Do you want that to happen on Celebrity? If they determine a lot of people are sharing, they could very well institute a similar policy.

I like top shelf liquor. My DW only drinks one or at most two liquor drinks a day. The policy of us buying the same package would prevent me from buy it because the high price doesn't justify my wife paying for it as well.

The 15 drink limit is for alcohol only: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers%21-beverage-program

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pretty sure that IS also the policy on Celebrity, you both have to have the package. It's ok for just one person to upgrade to premium but they won't sell just one person a beverage package and even as a perk you both have to take the beverage package.