Locked In The Potty On Oasis

jetersmom

Then there was the time, they stopped for gas and I was asleep, I woke up decided I needed a candy bar, and about the time I opened the door to the station the truck pulled off out of the drive. Fortunately there was a stop sign about 100 yards down the road, and I caught them just as they were about to pull away. Never was so scared in all of my life. The next year’s summer vacation and the rear window of the truck was removed and a crawl thru was installed.

JC

Could have been worse. A friend of my fathers was sleeping in the camper when his wife encountered a Driver's License check. After a few stop/starts, he opened the backdoor to check. He was thrown out of the camper when she accelerated away only to land in front of a long line of cars in his underwear. This was before cell phones. The state trooper loaded him up and chased down his wife about 20 miles down the road.

10-15 minutes trapped in a cruise ship bathroom. What a horrifying ordeal.

...and nothing to eat. No, not to make light of situation. My Nephew is Claustrophobic, this would not be a good situation. But as others said, my family always has cell with them and with all # already programed to each other. Family at home has ship/emergency #'s too. As others have said, traveling on big ships and in other countries is good reason to have them activated at all times. At least for emergencies...

I thought this story was going to be about something, ummm, "found" while in the bathroom.

Glad you are OK. I'd like to point out (and cue arguments from the old folks) that locking your phone in your room is not a wise move. This is one of the reasons we have cell phones. For emergencies. On what other vacation would you leave your hotel room / resort without your phone? There are 6,000 strangers onboard and a lot of places to get "lost" or "trapped." There are a lot of incidents that go unreported on those ships. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Again, glad you're OK.

Disagree with the phone comnent. I do the same when we travel. I want to be disconnected from the world ...and my husband ... So we spend time as a family rather than on phones/internet. Also, I do think it's wise to leave valuables locked in the stateroom when at the pool.

OP - glad you are ok. I get claustrophobic too and totally understand your panic. Kind of you to warn others in here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Everyone has the right to an opinion but if you don't understand how upsetting this situation can be for some people, why waste your time ... Just to post a rude comment.

The OP was trying to share, NOT brag about a suite or being diamond plus or complaining about getting a over cooked steak. She was locked in an bathroom against her will, with no explanation as to what happen. Hopefully this doesn't happen to ANYONE else.

Everyone has the right to an opinion but if you don't understand how upsetting this situation can be for some people, why waste your time ... Just to post a rude comment.

The OP was trying to share, NOT brag about a suite or being diamond plus or complaining about getting a over cooked steak. She was locked in an bathroom against her will, with no explanation as to what happen. Hopefully this doesn't happen to ANYONE else.

Well said......

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I had the same experience on the Ocean Princess that holds only 650 passengers.

I went to a deck that held the library and not many people visit. I used the bathroom. When I tried to exit, the door would not open. I tried many times then started to bang and yelling for help, hoping someone would hear me knowing not many visit that deck. After banging and yelling for what felt like 5 minutes or longer, I saw the emergency button. I pulled it and waiting still banging and yelling. Finally a crew member opened the door and then he walked away without asking how I was.

Could have been worse. A friend of my fathers was sleeping in the camper when his wife encountered a Driver's License check. After a few stop/starts, he opened the backdoor to check. He was thrown out of the camper when she accelerated away only to land in front of a long line of cars in his underwear. This was before cell phones. The state trooper loaded him up and chased down his wife about 20 miles down the road.

Thanks for the good laugh this morning!

Glad your ok and thank you for posting your situation. One never knows if they will be in a similar problem. Yes, things happen to all of us and we each handle them differently so ask yourself what you might do. A while back I posted a situation that had happened to my husband on our last cruise, and i wanted to let others know what we experienced in hopes it would help others.

I am sorry this happened to you. As someone who also suffers from claustrophobia, I can see how this would be traumatizing. I think people who don't have this fear can't fully understand the panic. One time I was in the bathroom in my own home and the door would not open. It was only jammed for probably 60 seconds, but in that time I could feel the panic set in. I can't imagine being trapped for 10 to 15 minutes! For someone with claustrophobia, that is more like hours.

Thank you for the warning. I am cruising on the Oasis later this year. I never would have thought that one of their bathroom doors could jam. I will let my husband know so that if I don't return in five minutes, he should make sure the door is working.

Not on a ship but my friend and I stopped in a McDonald while on a road trip. The bathroom stalls were wooden with a doorknob and about a foot and a half opening at the bottom. Sure enough, when I tried to leave I couldn’t get the door open. Finally someone came in and ask if I needed help. Yes, please. She went and got the manager who said they were having trouble with that door and there had been a sign but someone must’ve moved it. My friend who is a tiny size zero and works as a construction manager crawled under the door with some tools but couldn’t budge the door.

After about a half hour I insisted the manager call the police. The conversation went like this - how old is she - 70 - can she crawl out - if I could don’t you think I would - is she in distress - not yet but I’m getting there. Finally a woman came in and said her (big burly) husband could probably do something. He came in, told me to face the back wall, gave the door a swift kick and it came down in splinters. An employee asked the manager if she should make a new sign. Uh, I don’t think that will be necessary.

They offered me lunch but really owed me nothing. I think the OP is overreacting a bit. Seriously, they’re not giving a free cruise.

[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Now, that's funny!!:') Wish they would have had police car dash cameras and body cameras back then for an instant replay or becoming a U-tube star!!:o Of course, I should add that I am glad he wasn't injured!

Edited by SilkySal
add

I drove intercity bus for years....this sort of thing happened fairly regularly when children or elderly used the on board restroom...

they just couldn't figure out how to unlock the door, after they had locked it. Fortunately, there is a buzzer to alert the driver, or it is easier for those seated nearby to hear calls for help to alert the driver, who has a key to open it. Airliner lavs can usually be opened with just the tip of a ball point pen....

As a person that suffers from claustrophobia, just reading your post made me anxious! Thank you for the heads up and like others have said I will let someone know when I go to the bathroom.

To all the posters that have said just move on, stuff happens, get over it...one day you will get your just due! And I hope all that suffer with claustrophobia can stand and watch. Karma...what comes around goes around!

To the OP, thank you! It will certainly make ME more aware and probably use the accessible bathroom if there is an emergency button. It would literally take me 5 seconds of inability to get out to completely lose my mind!

I appreciate this was a scary situation for you and it sounds like you handled it quite well in trying to stay calm. It´s a unique story and I doubt it´s one to happen quite frequently. But yeah stuff happens.

I´m not sure how RCI could have cared more. They came over and asked if you were ok and you said yes. What should they have done more? If you felt differently later it would have been up to you to inform them about it. If you did and they didn´t care I would agree with you, but the way I read your post there was nothing for them to do aside from what they did.

As for your email from home, what would you expect from a person receiving your email, sitting in an office maybe thousands of miles apart from the ship, other than an apology and a promise to look into this? They surely can´t answer any of your questions as they are not on the ship and they said they would forward the information to the ship. I don´t see anything else they could have done. What were your expectations?

As for going in there alone in the future. It won´t help you to be trapped with two persons in there. Better solution would be to have the second person outside, being able to get help if needed. Same for kids in there.

How about offering a free drink? Or a bottle of wine or champagne? Or a specialty dinner? Or a milkshake from Johnny Rockets?

See? There are MANY ways Royal could of made the situation better that would of cost them very little to their bottom line. I would have offered the free drink and if the guest didn’t drink then I would if offered the milkshake (or a nonalcoholic specialty drink).

Now, I was a Disney Castmember for 2 years so going above and beyond in guest service is installed in me. We were empowered by the company to do things like that.

That is the difference between Disney and Royal. Now Royal excels in providing an abundance of activities and experiences on board which I don’t think is matched right now in the cruise industry. Where they can improve is guest service specifically going above and beyond in guest recovery.

I remember our first cruise we were supposed to have a free massage included by booking through our TA. I didn’t think to print off the confirmation because coming from Disney I just assumed everything would be in order and if not it would be fixed. Ha. Go to the spa and they have no record. They said they would call land headquarters and check and then call our stateroom. Ha again. Never happened. Even with a follow up. Got home called the TA and what ended up happening was Royal offered me a $25 cruise credit to be used within one year. Big flippin deal. I was not impressed. Now I make sure to print every confirmation for anything that is included b cause I don’t trust Royal to have it right OR (and this is worse) make it right.