Norovirus

12 minutes ago, KaliMarie said:

Ha I am one of those people! I'm watching this thread like a hawk - we are on the next sailing.

I don't mind a delayed boarding if it means a disinfected ship! I mostly feel bad for those currently on board & hope it stays contained. Both for their sake & our sailing as well!

Yeah I look at it this way, ship will be cleaner/more sanitized when you board then if this hadn't happened...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Raycin said:

This is just crazy. We’re hunkered down in our room because I’m so scared of getting sick. Captain says we’re all getting onboard credit. We already have onboard credit that we have no use for. Prepaid for everything before we got on the ship. Anything we can do about this? Is a credit possible? This is our first cruise in 15 years and will most likely be our last. Not just because of this, just realized we’re not cruise people.

If you are staying in your cabin, use that OBC for room service and pay per view movies.

Sorry your trip is not what you had hoped but do agree with others you either are or are not a cruise person.  Hoping the rest of the trip is quiet and enjoyable. 

I always try to take zinc and vitamin c prior to cruise and through out cruise. Build up the immune system. We also get flu shot. We’ve been on 40 plus cruises with no sick time onboard. As suggested always try to avoid public restrooms.

8 minutes ago, cementhands said:

I always try to take zinc and vitamin c prior to cruise and through out cruise. Build up the immune system. We also get flu shot. We’ve been on 40 plus cruises with no sick time onboard. As suggested always try to avoid public restrooms. 

will a flu shot help against Noro- I'm on Oasis April 7th-

I will get one if it helps!

1 minute ago, bobkins40 said:

will a flu shot help against Noro- I'm on Oasis April 7th-

I will get one if it helps!

No, and unless it’s the right strain regretfully it won’t help with flu prevention either. 

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2012 at 8:59 PM, Hart10 said:

use hand sanatizer after you finish with the menue. The next thing you do is break bread touch your cutlery. 😮

Wash your hands. Use sanitizer. and remember to use sanitizer after using things like serving utensils, salt and pepper shakers, menus AND once you are seated and have used your hands to adjust your chair RE-SANITIZE.

I have rarely if ever seen anyone sanitizing the arms on chairs

And if you want to wipe down some places in your stateroom use something that works and kills Noro. We have been using Alpet D2  no-rinse surface sanitizer for years. We use it at work and around the house as well..  Spray it on and no need to rinse, no stain, no residue.. disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the product. Honest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Teacher42 said:
  •  
  • Teacher42
  • July 13, 2018
  •  
  • 166 posts

Alcohol kills influenza virus which is airborne.Rhinovirus is sensitive to acids ( vinegar, citric). Above 80 degrees  at 81 degrees F there is no transmission of the influenza virus. It survives up to 4 days on surfaces and survives in the air at low temperatures, it needs to be wiped off.Cats and dogs do not get either.,only primates do. Avian influenza is not a major dilemma for humans for it is not easily transmitted to us and is not contagious from one human to another human. We take a large spray bottle of alcohol and another of vinegar to spray our hands after washing. We hit the room surfaces with everything including clorax wipes and we finally spend time with an utraviolet light wand charged up before we go. I still got sick the last day of the cruise from a cougher on the elevator.

Look into Alpet D2. Used in hospitals, nurseries and schools for years. NO rinse spray that KILLS NORO VIRUS.

Although not recommended we spray our hands before beginning to eat, whether in the Windjammer or the MDR.

• Like 1

Every part of a ship is cleaned more carefully and more frequently that anything you will come in contact with at airports, on planes, in hotel rooms, any money you handle and restaurants.

Do your best to wash your hands and keep them out of your mouth... 

• Like 3

On 2/11/2012 at 3:32 PM, davekathy said:

Exactly. Everyone I know that doesn’t cruise always wants to tell me about a sick ship! I always comment back at least the cruise lines have to report it unlike your favorite restaurant.

Agree!

DH had a horrible case at an all inclusive in Jamaica.  They had to send a dr to the room to give him an IV and 3 bags of fluid, along with meds...

36 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Look into Alpet D2. Used in hospitals, nurseries and schools for years. NO rinse spray that KILLS NORO VIRUS.

Although not recommended we spray our hands before beginning to eat, whether in the Windjammer or the MDR.

Purell Advanced is also supposed to help kill norovirus, so we carry that all over the ship, and use it before touching our silverware/glass/food when we eat.

• Like 1

Although I haven’t read every post on this subject, when we were on Oasis OTS on our last two cruises, we saw the crew staff applying disinfectant everyday to the handrails in the stateroom hallways.

We find RCCL trying every which way they can to keep their passengers safe and healthy.  I’m sure other cruise lines do the same.

Both DH and I got norovirus several years ago, on NCL.  I really think it was because: we were right near medical.  We touched railings.  We ordered room service nachos and brownies, and ate them

without washing our hands.  We were young and dumb, and know better now!!!  We are now very picky about always washing our hands, using the washy washy sanitizer, and then using purell advanced after touching the menus.

Edited by vacationlover_mn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

No, and unless it’s the right strain regretfully it won’t help with flu prevention either. 

Yep.  I never get a flu shot and never get the flu.  Wash your hands frequently and don't touch common surfaces.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Teacher42 said:

Dear bb, Already ordered case of 4 as per your recommendation. Thank you.

It works. We fill up a few smaller 4 oz. spray bottle for each cruise. I have been using it for a few years to sanitize brewing equipment and also at work where many surfaces come in contact with people who for the most part are sick from any number of illnesses..  

17 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Yep.  I never get a flu shot and never get the flu.  Wash your hands frequently and don't touch common surfaces.

I got it for years, and the strain every year never matched the shot.  All I really ended up with was a sore arm and shoulder for a few days. 

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

Wash your hands. Use sanitizer. and remember to use sanitizer after using things like serving utensils, salt and pepper shakers, menus AND once you are seated and have used your hands to adjust your chair RE-SANITIZE.

I have rarely if ever seen anyone sanitizing the arms on chairs

And if you want to wipe down some places in your stateroom use something that works and kills Noro. We have been using Alpet D2  no-rinse surface sanitizer for years. We use it at work and around the house as well..  Spray it on and no need to rinse, no stain, no residue.. disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the product. Honest.

Have spent 35+ yrs traveling most yrs 10-12 months a yr staying in Hotels, Extended stay motels, Army rooms and of course hundreds nites on cruise ships. Take disposable sanitize wipes with me to hit Cabin surfaces. Always walk around room in shoes/sandals... Most dinners eat in WindJammer. While wearing a Hooded Sweatshirt use my sleeves to move chair in/out and not always but at times use my napkin to scoop my food... Surprisingly my Ex calls me Anal

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

Every part of a ship is cleaned more carefully and more frequently that anything you will come in contact with at airports, on planes, in hotel rooms, any money you handle and restaurants.

Do your best to wash your hands and keep them out of your mouth... 

As well as contact around your eyes and nose.  

I have read, and tend to believe it, that one of the worst things are the black handrails on escalators at malls, subways, airports etc. Supposedly they never get sanitized.

• Like 1