Why is Royal Caribbean so expensive?

camarodrivenrs

I'm researching eastern caribbean cruises for next new years week and was wondering why Royal Caribbean is so much more than all the other mass market cruise lines. I know its the Oasis class ship and all, but it is running $600-1000 more than the others. I've got prices from Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, and Princess which is on the new Royal Princess and still Royal Caribbean is more. Is the Oasis class ship really worth that much extra?

I didn't understand the pricing for Oasis either until I went on a cruise on this beautiful ship. My son got his first job after college and wanted to go on his first "adult" vacation. Since all of his friends were either still in college, or under-employed he asked if I wanted to go....:D He picked Oasis.

It is all about the amenities on board this ship. So many things to do and see. I was hesitant at first, but had a great time. We are going on another cruise on Mariner this spring, but would love to go back on Oasis sometime in the future! It just depends on what you are looking for in a cruise vacation. Other ships go to the same ports, Oasis is a destination unto itself.

There is a long history of charging more for the Oasis. Supply and demand. The ship is the celebrity.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Oasis cannot be compared to other ships and therefore, pricing cannot be compared.

Oasis Of The Seas and Allure Of The Seas are currently the most popular ships in Royal Caribbean's fleet. Due to that fact they can still charge high prices. If you can cruise during non popular times you can find a few bargains on both of those ships. Most of the other ships in Royal Caribbean's fleet you can find reasonable prices. Royal Carribean's Freedom Of The Seas from Port Canaveral is a wonderful ship with reasonable prices. You just have to take the time and do some research or find a decent travel agent that specializes in cruises or a decent online cruise travel company.

I'm researching eastern caribbean cruises for next new years week and was wondering why Royal Caribbean is so much more than all the other mass market cruise lines. I know its the Oasis class ship and all, but it is running $600-1000 more than the others. I've got prices from Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, and Princess which is on the new Royal Princess and still Royal Caribbean is more. Is the Oasis class ship really worth that much extra?

Oasis and Allure are pretty much the most popular ships at seas right now and you are also looking at a pricey week to sail. Yes, the Oasis and Allure are worth it. They are destinations. :)

Edited by janetz

• 4 years later...

We have been loyal customers of Royal Carribean

We just decided to do a 7 day Eastern Carribean that included St Thomas in late January 2018.

I was really taken back by RCCL's price

So we went back to Carnival that we had not sailed on for nearly 10 years and found an almost identical itinerary for the same days for nearly half the price.

Needless to say, We are booked on the Carnival Glory on Jan 20, 2018.

Don't get me wrong, RCCL is Good - very good. But, if this cruise from Carnival meets our expectations, (and I suspect it will, ) I will be looking at Carnival and NCL more closely

again. . Being on social security, we simply can't afford Royal Carribean's prices.

Big destination ships or not.

It's the difference of cruising or staying home

And I would rather cruise.

In any capitalistic society, you raise prices as much as you can until the demand for your product starts dropping. Then you drop your prices a bit until demand recovers. That is what Royal is doing.

In simpler terms - maybe because they can get it.

DON

Yes, four years old. It would be great if CC locked old threads. The information would still be availabłe, but it would prevent necroposting.

Our hosts don't care about zombie threads. To them it is positive feedback that new members are using the search function. Doesn't matter how off-topic the fossil bump is,or that the smoking/dress code/carry on beverage policies from a decade ago are now at the top of a cruise line's board--somebody actually searched first :p.

Yes, four years old. It would be great if CC locked old threads. The information would still be availabłe, but it would prevent necroposting.

Yes, almost as annoying a posters jumping in threads they don't care to be in, then sending a post criticizing the thread. To much time on their hands I guess.:confused:

Google is for searches, forums are for discussions with likeminded people.:cool:

Burt

If the topic is still of interest, or re-emerges after a hiatus, what does it matter how old it is?

Obviously, people think it is worth the price- there are some things people will buy that I might pay to avoid- and there are things I value which others might not care about. Frankly, I would be glad to pay a much higher per-diem on Prinsendam than on Oasis, and I am sure there are many who feel the exact opposite.