private message software

Carol28

As I signed on just now, I was asked if I want to download software for 'private messages.' I almost did it, but chose not to. Anyone have any info?

There is no provision on CC for private messages so you were wise to ignore the pop up.

Can't believe Cruise Critic would allow such a suspicious ad on the site.

Pop-ups like that sometimes appear without a site having any control over them; hackers are very, very clever, and you were wise to ignore it.

Edited by Langoustine

As I signed on just now, I was asked if I want to download software for 'private messages.' I almost did it, but chose not to. Anyone have any info?

I don't know if it is a malicious virus or some upstart provider trying to use some deceit to get their search engine into use but it will load "Google Chrome" and Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer" to your desktop, along with something called "InboxAce Internet Explorer Toolbar", published by "Mindspark Interactive Network".

Agree with others that it is best ignored. Legitimate Google Chrome and Explorer Toolbars are easy to get from safe sources, so I suspect that these are high jacked downloads that are being used to trick you into the InboxAce application, whatever that is.

I see the private software message appears immediately above the "User CP, FAQ, Guidelines" etc.

Between posts 1 and 2 is an advertisement for Holden cars.

Hmm. I've got an Embassy Suites ad. Is CC selling ad space?

Edited by startwin

This is not a pop-up. It is a banner ad of the kind that always appears between posts 1 and 2 on every thread. Apparently it is a legitimate product that has nothing to do with private messaging using CC.

I believe you are more likely to see it if you are using Firefox, as DW has not seen it using IE.

Edited by jtl513

The fact that this is even on the Cruise Critic website is sad.

It is NOT relevant to this site, and if it is legitimate, then Cruise Critic has (yet again) sold itself down the road for profit.

Hmm. I've got an Embassy Suites ad. Is CC selling ad space?

Cruise Critic has always sold ad space -- that is how we manage to get it free. Would you rather pay for the site, and not get ads?

Commonly, ads are served by a different company. Cruise Critics, and other sites dependant on ads, set up space and a link to the ad serving company. That company then displays the ad, based on whatever criteria they have. CC has no control over the ads, save that if they report a malicious ads, it will be pulled.

This is not a pop-up. It is a banner ad of the kind that always appears between posts 1 and 2 on every thread. Apparently it is a legitimate product that has nothing to do with private messaging using CC.

I believe you are more likely to see it if you are using Firefox, as DW has not seen it using IE.

-

It appears right below Cruise Critic messages for me - like it is part of CC.

Wondering if they are getting ready to add this facility?

I am using IE - it doesn't look like an ad.