Princess fine art no more !

curiouscat

We have purchased several Behrens paintings over the years from both RCCL and Princess. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them in our home and have gotten so very many compliments on them all....I just don't know that there is anything else that would move me to purchase art at sea anymore...but not a SINGLE regret on those we have. The last "set" we got was on an RCCL Med cruise a few years ago...spent $2,400 on a set of 3 of Behrens "twilight" series....currently selling online for $12,500 for the same 3 items. Matters not, we bought from the heart, not an investment prospective. These 3 will hang in our home to enjoy longer than I will walk this earth, then it is up to the kiddos to split/sell/dump. Until then, I derive GREAT joy from them...as well as fond memories of their cruise purchase!

Call me low brow, but I just don't see dancing olives or poker playing dogs fine art. I must have missed something in those art classes I took.:rolleyes:

I'm with you! I guess I wasted four years on that Fine Art degree I got!:)

Over the years we have purchased art from Princess to decorate our house. They have dealt with integrity, including a complete refund in one case due to an issue.

We have kept track of prices, and found those offered by Princess (Global) Fine Arts to be favorable to what was available elsewhere.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. We find the art we've purchased to be quite beautiful, even after years on our walls. We've had professional decorators who have been struck dumb by the beauty and presentation.

I believe a move to Park West would be a mistake, as they do not have a reputation of integrity.

I agree 100%..my wife and have purchased numerous pieces of art at reasonable prices and have seen these items go up in value (not the reason we bought the art). We have nothing but a great experience with Global Fine Art.

We were on the Caribbean this past week and it was the last of the Princess Fine Arts program Auctions before the change over. It was sad to see the gallery completely stripped at the end of the voyage. Todd our Art Director was staying on for the next voyage to help the new people from Park West get settled in.

Personally I am quite happy the Art has gone, now get rid of the Art Auctions cluttering up the ship. Princess ships should not be floating art galleries.

I am no 'Arty type.'

Edited by NSWP

Personally I am quite happy the Art has gone, now get rid of the Art Auctions cluttering up the ship. Princess ships should not be floating art galleries.

The "art" is not gone. Park West will fill up the space with the art that they want to sell.

I really don't have much of an opinion on Park West- one way or another. But this lawsuit is quite old. Even if guilty(I thought I read that they were in some areas) does that mean that one would NEVER buy anything from them? That's an individual choice, but potentially short sighted.

FWIW, I have no problem with PFA and I'm sorry to see them leave. Maybe PW will have improved and might offer even more selections.

Edited by Redwing55

Or legal issues.

From a Cruise Critic article earlier this year:

Oceania Cruises dropped auctions from their rosters in recent years, "

This is incorrect. I am just off the Oceania Riviera - they had art auctions on board on the 11/6 and 11/18-12/2 cruises. It was not Park West but it was the same merchandise.

I really don't have much of an opinion on Park West- one way or another. But this lawsuit is quite old. Even if guilty(I thought I read that they were in some areas) does that mean that one would NEVER buy anything from them? That's an individual choice, but potentially short sighted.

FWIW, I have no problem with PFA and I'm sorry to see them leave. Maybe PW will have improved and might offer even more selections.

We used to live in Michigan. Park West Gallery auctions were constantly held as fundraisers for organizations as well as general sales for the gallery. I would not recommend dealing with them as their practices are disreputable. PWG has been caught having their own employees "upping" the prices on pieces.

Edited by Mapu

we enjoy the art auctions !! You have to appreciate fine art to enjoy. Just may not be for you.

DW and I love "fine art" and spend plenty of time viewing fine art in museums and at reputable galleries. It is BECAUSE of our love of fine art that we generally avoid cruise ship "so called art" auctions. But as stockholders we do applaud all the cruise line's efforts to increase their profits with the auctions :)

Hank

DW and I love "fine art" and spend plenty of time viewing fine art in museums and at reputable galleries. It is BECAUSE of our love of fine art that we generally avoid cruise ship "so called art" auctions. But as stockholders we do applaud all the cruise line's efforts to increase their profits with the auctions :)

Hank

My guess is that you will see a onetime bump in your portfolio….

Princess dumping their own art program should afford them a very quick, and short term bump in profits.

A few points:

1) Employee salaries …. eliminated… (Not just Art folks on ships…. They had a global network of people who moved, framed, store, and ship product.. etc)

2) Sale of Property, Land, buildings, warehouse facilities, assets, etc…… eliminated.

3) Shipping contracts….. eliminated..

It goes on and on…. And on the surface… Sounds like a win/win…. Right?

Princess just dumped millions of dollars of overhead and inventory in one large sale.

They take their existing ship space, lease it out to Park West, and simply take a percentage of their sales on each cruise…. What could be better? Right?

In my opinion, they are going to deeply regret this action.

I believe, in time, your portfolio will suffer as the overall profit from the art auctions will decline.

I have purchase and sold a lot of art over the years. I can tell you that all the snarky comments about dogs playing cards.. etc.. etc… Is exactly what you find on a typical Park West At Sea Auction. They heavily push the prints on paper, the no end in sight limited editions, The thumb tack quality poster type of items. $15.00 - $200.00 items. (Yes they have real items but they are overpriced in my book.)

Princess passengers have come to expect a few of these low end items mixed with a heavy dose of mostly newer artist originals at a very reasonable two or three thousand dollar starting price.

Examples: (Google it)

Guyton

Derubeis

Pino

Duaiv

Seika

The list goes on and on.

This select group of “medium” pocket travelers will probably be mostly chilled by the Park West style and items… Thus you will, in my opinion, lose money on your portfolio.

Enjoy… This is the new reality……… we shall see how long it lasts.

FYI, I am a stock holder in Carnival also, and I'm mad as ....... you fill in the blank.

Edited by nnrd79a

I haven't heard anything good about Park West and why Princess would associate themselves with them is a wonder to me. Anyone can Google their name and read all the complaints about them. Also the pressure to attend the art viewings is unreal. "Free champagne?" No thanks, I don't like champagne, and I can see them getting you tipsy so that you make some stupid mistake purchasing a fake painting.

We are making an assumption here, that PFA was a profitable operation. As you noted,there is a lot of overhead so its possible, Princess simply decided PFA was not making enough revenue to meet the bills.

I went through the financial statements, I couldn't find a breakout for PFA...

My guess is that you will see a onetime bump in your portfolio….

Princess dumping their own art program should afford them a very quick, and short term bump in profits.

A few points:

1) Employee salaries …. eliminated… (Not just Art folks on ships…. They had a global network of people who moved, framed, store, and ship product.. etc)

2) Sale of Property, Land, buildings, warehouse facilities, assets, etc…… eliminated.

3) Shipping contracts….. eliminated..

It goes on and on…. And on the surface… Sounds like a win/win…. Right?

Princess just dumped millions of dollars of overhead and inventory in one large sale.

They take their existing ship space, lease it out to Park West, and simply take a percentage of their sales on each cruise…. What could be better? Right?

In my opinion, they are going to deeply regret this action.

I believe, in time, your portfolio will suffer as the overall profit from the art auctions will decline.

I have purchase and sold a lot of art over the years. I can tell you that all the snarky comments about dogs playing cards.. etc.. etc… Is exactly what you find on a typical Park West At Sea Auction. They heavily push the prints on paper, the no end in sight limited editions, The thumb tack quality poster type of items. $15.00 - $200.00 items. (Yes they have real items but they are overpriced in my book.)

Princess passengers have come to expect a few of these low end items mixed with a heavy dose of mostly newer artist originals at a very reasonable two or three thousand dollar starting price.

Examples: (Google it)

Guyton

Derubeis

Pino

Duaiv

Seika

The list goes on and on.

This select group of “medium” pocket travelers will probably be mostly chilled by the Park West style and items… Thus you will, in my opinion, lose money on your portfolio.

Enjoy… This is the new reality……… we shall see how long it lasts.

FYI, I am a stock holder in Carnival also, and I'm mad as ....... you fill in the blank.

I just got off Caribbean Princess. We have made some art purchases in the past and I got an invite for a wine and cheese party in the Art Gallery. I was disappointed in what was being shown. I spoke with the art director who was apparently quitting after that cruise. He did say that the artwork that we've come to expect on Princess ships will be back. They apparently had to inventory what was on the ship before the sale and that was why the PFA art was removed and replaced with PW stuff. I do hope that he is right. We enjoy the art that we've purchased in the past...

• 2 weeks later...
This may be a silly question and may not be accurate.....

Didn't I read or hear that Global Fine Arts would buy your art back (at the price you paid) at anytime in the future if you are no longer satisfied with it?

If that was true, what happens if Global Fine Arts is being dissolved? Did I understand that correctly?

I have been a long term buyer of art on Princess buying many "fine art" pieces, original art and other lovely lower priced pieces for the last 14+ years.

The buy back or consignment options was offered for pieces greater than a certain dollar amount. When I bought my first expensive piece (Picasso) the deal was that Princess Fine Arts would buy it back at the price I paid for it. As time progressed the offer was that they would take the art back on consignment and you only paid a 10% premium above the price you paid. So if the piece cost 50k and it sold on consignment for 70k, we would pay 10% of the 20k difference.

I have been "invited" back to cruise by Princess on their art connisour cruises where we made an agreement to spend a certain amount on art. These special cruises would have multiple artists on board and we would spend time with them at special events. It was a wonderful opportunity that we thoroughly enjoyed.

My point for sharing this information is three fold and addresses several earlier posts.

(1) I have never experiences shills or Plants or anything of that sort in the auctions. I think it is possible you have seen the people that have been invited to the auctions which could have given the impression of Plants.

Previous cruisers that purchased art are also invited to gallery parties and recieve invitations to the art auctions which is just a way of marketing to their target audience and getting people to the auctions that are more likely to purchase and have a positive demenour in the auction.

IMHO.

(2) The people invited on the connisour cruises are the top spenders. The minimum spend commitment is around the price of what the cruise would cost, so it was a fantastic opportunity if you were still interested in purchasing art.

(3) The buy back or consignment option was always limited to the higher end pieces. When I started buying it was 10k. I think now it is 25k, but I am not positive.

I recently tried to consign one of my purchases and was sorely disappointed in the results. Princess Fine Arts would not put the original art work on a ship and required that they hold the piece in their warehouse. It was only available as a jpeg offering. Needless to say the piece did not sell in this environment and I have recently had the piece sent to another dealer.

I think the question posed is a good one about the offerings going forward regarding their commitment for reselling art. I will send an email to PFA and see what they say. Although we had a poor experience, it doesn't mean I wouldn't try again because of the excellent deal they offer for reselling art.

On my Hawaii cruise on Sapphire Princess Nov 30-Dec 15th Park West was now in place. All the artwork was different , not the same artists.

The auctionaire made sure at the beginning of each auction to call themselves Princess Fine Arts- ParkWest. He was awful guy, so full of himself. Back to the horrid auctions that we expect to find on other cruise lines. First night of cruise we wlked over to the art gallery and saw immediately the change in art. There were about six or more employees from Park West milling around then jumping on us. I was shocked at the amount of people working there and asked why. They lied and said it is the same on all ships. Not so. Looked like a bunch of trainees to me. The only one that actually conducted the auctions was the one I mentioned above. The others milled around and didn't let you look at art in peace.I think this must have been the first ship to move over to Parkwest. We were also on for the following cruise to Mexico but stayed clear of the auctions.