Did Celebrity get it right - Captain's Club

ghstudio

Not entirely correct. They might have given the $50 OBC for a while but we didn't cruise for a few years and we never received the offer the next time we booked a cruise. I agree with others that Founders should have been given some bonus points. We have been loyal to Celebrity for a long time and we will remain so. We like what they offer.

Yes, I fall into this category of those who didn't cruise with Celebrity for awhile, and therefore, no $50 credit was offered to me. By the way, I just pulled out my Classic Founder's packet and because we joined before Sept 2002, we were granted priority embarkation "which is reserved for Select and Elite members."

Interesting how they really pumped up that Founder's program. lol

At any rate, even if I were Select vs. Classic, no benefits except for priority embarkation which make we say WOW! And we got priority embarkation anyway since we traveled in Aqua.

Nothing lasts forever, and I never even got off the ground as a Founder. LOL:D

I am 2 weeks away from sailing on an 11 night cruise. This was booked 19 months ago when itineraries were first released. I'm disappointed to learn that I'll be getting less points compared to the old system.

At one time, Elite seemed attainable - now we'll have to do at least twice the number of cruises to reach that same status.

With the old system, if I was comparing two cruises (one Celebrity and one non) that were similar in terms of price and itinerary, I'd me more inclined to book X due to the Captains Club points. However, with the new system that will no longer be a factor.

I will still cruise with X as I love the product, but the Captains Club points will no longer be a factor in my decision.

I cruise on Celebrity because of the outstanding service, the excellent dining, and the atmosphere Celebrity strives for is what we look for when cruising.

But since they have a loyalty program, I'll take the points and the Tier. Yes, I did upgrade to Concierge on a cruise in order to gain enough points to reach Elite, just as the Line is shooting for.

We have enjoyed all our cruises of other Lines and will take others to join friends or for a specific itinerary, but will always use Celebrity as our starting point.

With that said, I think the Loyalty program is excellent in comparison with the other Lines. I won't be signing up for PS or CS suites in order to build more points, but I know, just as I did, others will upgrade when they get close to the next tier. The benefits are nice and enticing. We can cut down on what we pack with the free laundry; we think the Elite breakfasts and Social Hr is a great venue to meet others and talk; the free internet makes it nice staying in touch; now the free special coffees will make my day!

I probably get at least one Latte or so a day at El Bacio which means it costs me about $50. No big deal, but just nice to now have. Heck, I'll probably order a couple at a seating, or do exactly what Celebrity is hoping for which is order an Irish Coffee as the second and end up spending more.

And instead of complaining and knit-picking just a few days after Celebrity adds two new Tiers and more benefits, I'll just enjoy them for a while.

It's kind of like when Celebrity initiated the Elite Social Hr. All kinds of complaints before anyone had even tried it out.

If you have reached Elite or Elite Plus and don't like the benefits, I'll post my SR number and you can drop off your drink tickets, laundry cards, free internet and I'll use them....I know, they aren't transferable. Just trying to make a point.

Den

I do not think Celebrity got it right, since loyalty programs are to encourage repeat business and reward those that do. Some of the best cruisers by day-count are probably inside/OV cruisers, but going forward they are getting less credit for their loyalty for not spending enough. Why not name the new CC levels "Steerage" "Cabin" and "First"?

But to me I think the worst part of the rollout is how they changed the program without any grace period. Carnival, who so many like to mock, gave folks more than a year of accumulation under the old system. We got rumors, and an unexpected rollout with (as of now) no mercy for those close to a tier transition.

Since a loyalty program rewards loyalty, it doesn't seem a stretch that all cruises booked as of the rollout date could be given points under the old system. Or heck, at least give the people inside the final payment window the points, or a chance to back out without penalty.

To expand on my latter point, those inside final payment booked under one set of rules, and now those rules have changed. Cabin category is an integral part of the new system, but people inside final payment did not know that when booking, so those people who are dissatisfied with the change can't cancel to show their outrage, and those who want to take advantage of the new system by changing their cabin category can't necessarily do that. For example, if my father-in-law decided that he'd rather get the extra points by upgrading to a balcony over an OV room, they are sold out on my sailing.

I will be calling the Captains Club and writing to Michael Bailey's office, and encourage everyone else who is dissatisfied to do the same. Be heard! So many Princess cruisers were upset at the new Royal Princess, that its sister ship is being modified to include a promenade!

I don't need to call or email....I have a better way to let them know just how dissatisfied I am

I don't need to call or email....I have a better way to let them know just how dissatisfied I am

Exactly right. Vote with your pocketbook. They'll get the message. So what cruise line do you think you'll sail?

Princess is worth looking at. Of course, I am inside the penalty period for cruising so I can't vote with my wallet this time.

Am I the only person who thinks that it is wonderful to get any perks at all? We are Elite and Diamond Plus. All gained by taking cruises over the past 24 years. We also have 10 cruises with NCL who give you just about nothing for that, a repeaters party is about all you get, but if the itinerary and price is right we would still book with them. So as you can see I am not an X cheerleader. I am though very happy that they have changed to nights sailed as we tend to do B2B to make the most of increasingly expensive air fares. So overall, yes, they got it right.. Never going to make Zenith or Pinnacle but then I'm never going to fly first class either.

On Silhouette and haven't read other posts. Sorry, can't be positive about the program as it has been designed to cut cost rather than rewarding frequent cruisers. Given my booked and fully paid cruises I only needed 4 points to reach the 100 point leve. Now I need at leat 40 additional cruises to move up. Basically wherever most are under the new program they will remain there for a very long time. The idea seems to be to make it so difficult to reach the Zenith level that no one will ever reach it. At least Celebrity could use the conversion formula for cruises completely paid for that were paid in full before the announcement of e new program. A good marketing strategy would be to allow for at least three months to book and pay in full for cruises that could help one to reach a new level. My booking pattern will certainly change. Doubt if I'll take more than 1 or2 Cruises with Celebrity a year. Currently take 14. Means noing to Celebrity since they can always fill my slots.

I cruise on Celebrity because of the outstanding service, the excellent dining, and the atmosphere Celebrity strives for is what we look for when cruising.

But since they have a loyalty program, I'll take the points and the Tier. Yes, I did upgrade to Concierge on a cruise in order to gain enough points to reach Elite, just as the Line is shooting for.

We have enjoyed all our cruises of other Lines and will take others to join friends or for a specific itinerary, but will always use Celebrity as our starting point.

With that said, I think the Loyalty program is excellent in comparison with the other Lines. I won't be signing up for PS or CS suites in order to build more points, but I know, just as I did, others will upgrade when they get close to the next tier. The benefits are nice and enticing. We can cut down on what we pack with the free laundry; we think the Elite breakfasts and Social Hr is a great venue to meet others and talk; the free internet makes it nice staying in touch; now the free special coffees will make my day!

I probably get at least one Latte or so a day at El Bacio which means it costs me about $50. No big deal, but just nice to now have. Heck, I'll probably order a couple at a seating, or do exactly what Celebrity is hoping for which is order an Irish Coffee as the second and end up spending more.

And instead of complaining and knit-picking just a few days after Celebrity adds two new Tiers and more benefits, I'll just enjoy them for a while.

It's kind of like when Celebrity initiated the Elite Social Hr. All kinds of complaints before anyone had even tried it out.

If you have reached Elite or Elite Plus and don't like the benefits, I'll post my SR number and you can drop off your drink tickets, laundry cards, free internet and I'll use them....I know, they aren't transferable. Just trying to make a point.

Den

Very well said!

Well, I applied the new points system to all of my cruise history, we have cruised since 1991, 39 cruises and over 400 days at sea. We have had from basic inside cabins to owners suites, and our total points would be around 2200 in total. Currently we have 630 points, Elite plus is obtainable for us, but is it worth it for a few extra perks? After two disappointing cruises on Celebrity, we now taking land based holidays.

Richard

Tommy, read the benefits again. It says "Complimentary Beverage Package", not "Premium Beverage Package" More than likely a non-alcohol package.

This is from the official press release:

Members who achieve Zenith status will receive benefits and perks befitting this ultimate level of membership, such as access to Michael's Club Lounge (available fleetwide in 2014), a complimentary premium alcoholic beverage package, complimentary laundry, a 1,600-minute Internet package, and other benefits.

On Silhouette and haven't read other posts. Sorry, can't be positive about the program as it has been designed to cut cost rather than rewarding frequent cruisers. Given my booked and fully paid cruises I only needed 4 points to reach the 100 point leve. Now I need at leat 40 additional cruises to move up. Basically wherever most are under the new program they will remain there for a very long time. The idea seems to be to make it so difficult to reach the Zenith level that no one will ever reach it. At least Celebrity could use the conversion formula for cruises completely paid for that were paid in full before the announcement of e new program. A good marketing strategy would be to allow for at least three months to book and pay in full for cruises that could help one to reach a new level. My booking pattern will certainly change. Doubt if I'll take more than 1 or2 Cruises with Celebrity a year. Currently take 14. Means noing to Celebrity since they can always fill my slots.

You not that far from Zenith level.

Keep cruising:D:D:D

Unless you sail in the engine room on mates rates, if you have 96 points currently, you will only be 120 points short so 2 cruises as would have been the case previously. Chill, it's only a loyalty scheme!

Zenith level requires too many points. Do the math. I am elite.....and have been for several years......and will probably remain there for many years. I have 540 points.....way above the 300 to become elite and way below the 750 to become elite+. There is no hope for getting to Zenith level unless I give up my other types of vacations and hit the high seas for weeks or months at a time. For Zenith level I would need another 2460 points. I usually sail in a veranda cabin. 2460 divided by 3 = 820 nights . There is no way that I will ever cruise another 820 nights in my lifetime. I thought that I was loyal to Celebrity/Azamara. I have 2 more 14 days cruises booked and paid for in 2014. Perhaps what I thought of as being loyal is not worth much to Celebrity. Although I was and am happy with the elite perks, I can relate to the bad feelings with the change.

I'd like to preface this statement by saying this is just my opinion. With that said, I feel it's ridiculous to spend an "extra" $800 just to get the little differences in perks between the Select and Elite level. It would have only taken one more cruise to get you there. Again, JMHO.

SDT

My opinion as well but that $800 would have bought a lot of drinks.

Yes, Celebrity got it right. It is a loyalty program to encourage repeat business and the benefits are generous at every level. Classic members can get upgrades within many cabin categories now. Sail a few longer cruises in a higher cabin and the Select benefits are quickly attainable. Elite members didn't lose anything. :). Having been a member of loyalty programs since they were first rolled out with American and PanAm over 30 years ago, slight changes in how long it takes to reach 'the next level' pales in comparison to outright reduction of benefits. I still have Pan Am miles!....though its "worth" has often changed.

I am grateful for any loyalty recognition Celebrity makes, think the newly added benefits are good for the customer and the company, and will thank Captain's Club for offering my family a relaxing pre-dinner drink, whether it be by voucher or happy hour.

Edited by Janet987

I do not think Celebrity got it right, since loyalty programs are to encourage repeat business and reward those that do. Some of the best cruisers by day-count are probably inside/OV cruisers, but going forward they are getting less credit for their loyalty for not spending enough. Why not name the new CC levels "Steerage" "Cabin" and "First"?

But to me I think the worst part of the rollout is how they changed the program without any grace period. Carnival, who so many like to mock, gave folks more than a year of accumulation under the old system. We got rumors, and an unexpected rollout with (as of now) no mercy for those close to a tier transition.

Since a loyalty program rewards loyalty, it doesn't seem a stretch that all cruises booked as of the rollout date could be given points under the old system. Or heck, at least give the people inside the final payment window the points, or a chance to back out without penalty.

This is a very good point.

It's very rare, if not unique, to announce a change once the change has occurred.

It's understandable how they came up with some elements. However, to say they 'got it right' is overbaked. Definitely things they got wrong.

Members who achieve Zenith status will receive benefits and perks befitting this ultimate level of membership, such as access to Michael's Club Lounge (available fleetwide in 2014), a complimentary premium alcoholic beverage package, complimentary laundry, a 1,600-minute Internet package, and other benefits.

Sign into your Celebrity account and read what is outlined under the Zenith benefits. That press release is wrong.

SDT

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Forums mobile app

http://celebritycruises.co.uk/why-celebrity/captains-club/benefits/zenith/

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Forums mobile app

You do understand that the number of points (1-18) per cruise is also multiplied by the number of nights? In other words 14 nights in an inside would get you 28 points and so on. So your not much further away from Zenith than before.