Farewell Michaels Club!!!

cruiseaddict30560

This is indeed a very sad day.... Michaels club, a spot where I have enjoyed many a good time and drink will no longer be accessible. I look forward to 40 years from now, when I will be able to sit on your stools again. All kidding aside... I think Michaels Club will be missed, especially on the Solstice Class where it's next to all the specialty restaurants and a great place to get a pre-dinner drink

Hopefully, Celebrity will rethink this decision and move a concierge lounge to a more private location. Perhaps somewhere I don't have to reminded that I am second class passenger everytime I walk by to go Blu or specialty dining and remember the good times of old. :(

Edited by cruiseaddict30560

To my understanding MC will be private lounge only until 7pm? Then it is open for everyone. And if I remember correctly our Solstice cruises, MC opened 7pm for all passengers - so nothing changed?

I just wish that craft beers would be available also on other bars than just MC.

Edited by JezzaC

Unless Im missing something, I see no reason why Michaels would disappear, especially during the evening hours. I have not had an opportunity to read all the details, but I would think Michaels would be available after 7 pm.

What I find amusing/strange about all of this, is that I cant see how there would be more than 0-5 Zenith members on any given sailing, so why would anyone want to sit in a room by themselves ? I know I wouldnt want that, and I suspect Michaels will be empty most all the time.

Now that the news is finally out - I truly wish another level would have been added at 2250 points, which could have taken advantage of Michaels, and bring more participation for Captains Club members. IMO, that would have made far more sense.

The concept of different area's on ships that are reserved for certain groups of passengers has been around since the dawn of time :o

However I think that "X" is making a huge mistake here

We will soon be seeing First Class , Cabin Class and Steerage fares being offered , not that that is perhaps a bad thing ...

Ships operating First Class and Tourist Class worked well for many years for lines like Cunard and P&O

But letting the steerage see how the first class live is totally beyond the pale and should not be permitted.

And of course there should be no kids allowed in first class in fact I think Oztralians shoud be totally banned

:D

I obviously missed the announcement - I do hope cm stays open at some point during the day. That, or make the craft beers available cruise wide.

MC was one of the big reasons we decided to cruise the summit on our upcoming cruise

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Unless Im missing something, I see no reason why Michaels would disappear, especially during the evening hours. I have not had an opportunity to read all the details, but I would think Michaels would be available after 7 pm.

What I find amusing/strange about all of this, is that I cant see how there would be more than 0-5 Zenith members on any given sailing, so why would anyone want to sit in a room by themselves ? I know I wouldnt want that, and I suspect Michaels will be empty most all the time.

Now that the news is finally out - I truly wish another level would have been added at 2250 points, which could have taken advantage of Michaels, and bring more participation for Captains Club members. IMO, that would have made far more sense.

Andy -- I agree. Celebrity seems to have adopted the least popular aspect of RC's C&A levels. When C&A added "Pinnacle", we were already D+, but quickly gave up on the idea of ever making the huge leap between those two levels. Oh well, since the Captain's Club is not extending reciprocity beyond the Diamond/Elite level, we at least now have the challenge of working toward E+. ;):rolleyes:

Good points. I agree.

Enjoy your cruise. I think it will also include some of the suite cabin passengers, so perhaps it will have more people. I remember a very small number of people when they first implemented the Elite cocktail party in Michael's Club.

Andy, I also think another level should be added but not at 2250.You need 2250 points between elite plus and Zenith. I would cut that almost in half and make it 1800. By the way, I am elite plus at 840 points so I would still have a long way to go.

Hi Andy,

They are taking the VIP lounge that they tested on the Infinity and moving it fleet wide. It will include the PH & RS guests and probably the top cruiser (if they are not already Zenith) as well as the Zenith guests.

As for a level at 2250, I hope that you meant 1500 - half way between Elite+ and Zenith.

I am now Zenith and am happy with the new benefits. They are actually worth more than I paid for my entire 8 night B2B Century cruises in February.

Tom

Funny, on our last Equinox cruise in April, Michael's was empty most every night we stopped in. I don' t mean there were just a few in there, I mean EMPTY!

I must be missing something (admittedly I am "only" elite), but isn't there a lovely bar area right outside of Michael's. I recall live music, good drinks and inviting sitting areas.

Won't that area be open for public use?

M

To my understanding MC will be private lounge only until 7pm? Then it is open for everyone. And if I remember correctly our Solstice cruises, MC opened 7pm for all passengers - so nothing changed?

I just wish that craft beers would be available also on other bars than just MC.

Could you buy a few extra bottles at night and bring them back to your cabin and put them in a cooler on ice for the next day??:D We bring a collapsible cooler and buy the bucket of beer. What we don't drink we bring back to the cabin.

Andy, I also think another level should be added but not at 2250.You need 2250 points between elite plus and Zenith. I would cut that almost in half and make it 1800. By the way, I am elite plus at 840 points so I would still have a long way to go.

If another tier is added, then people will eventually start complaining that it is too easy to get to Elite++ tier.

Hey, Celebrity listened and did exactly what many wanted. It is harder to get from Classic to Select from Select to Elite from Elite to Elite+ and much, much harderd to get to the top of the stack, Zenith. The Zenith tier members should be the cream of the crop with regard to the amount of cruising they have done with Celebrity and Celebrity has rewarded them with some really nice perks.

Funny, on our last Equinox cruise in April, Michael's was empty most every night we stopped in. I don' t mean there were just a few in there, I mean EMPTY!

I must be missing something (admittedly I am "only" elite), but isn't there a lovely bar area right outside of Michael's. I recall live music, good drinks and inviting sitting areas.

Won't that area be open for public use?

M

We too did not find a single guest in Michael's Club any time we visited. We also found (on Equinox) the Elite breakfast was moved to the Tuscan Grille with no announcement inside the room or out (unless it was in the Daily, but we never saw it there). What use is the room if no one visits; why describe it as a perk for higher 'classes'?

Hi Andy,

They are taking the VIP lounge that they tested on the Infinity and moving it fleet wide. It will include the PH & RS guests and probably the top cruiser (if they are not already Zenith) as well as the Zenith guests.

Tom

This is the Royal Caribbean model, which appears to work very well for them (admission for anyone in a suite above Junior Suite).

I think the craft beer concept never had a real chance, and is a good idea -- even though I don't drink beer. The passport bar has never had a "specialty" and either that or the Sunset bar might be a good location for that and Michael's Club's previous high end scotch drinks. Or the Observation lounge is another possibility.

I doubt Michaels club will be made available to such a small crowd for very long. Many people I have met on board who probably are + or Zenith would be quite unhappy in an empty bar. Part of what they like about cruising is meeting and socializing with their fellow cruisers.

This is the Royal Caribbean model, which appears to work very well for them (admission for anyone in a suite above Junior Suite).

Not exactly. On Royal, access to the Concierge Club is for anyone in a JS or above, and ALSO all D+ and Pinnacle members.

As for whether it works well or not is open to debate. If you spend any time at all on the Royal boards you'll see 2 general schools of thought. One is that is used to be just for suite guests, and now that D+ are allowed (for a while regular D's were allowed also) it is way too crowded and gosh darn it they need to kick those lowly D+ members out. The other is all the D+ folks who threaten to go kicking and screaming if they withdraw C club access from their list of "entitlements."