Taking food off ship

Kim in CA

I have read numerous posts that have stated passengers are not allowed to take food from the ship with them on excursions. I don't remember this rule from previous cruises. Is it a Celebrity rule? Does anyone know the reason? Do they actually check?

Thanks.

Kim

Unless your food is in a SEALED (by the factory) you can not take it off the ship. Some places DO check and some places have very strict punishments for those caught doing so.

The reason is to protect their environment and to not introduce foreign bugs and the like.

Best to leave food ON the ship and enjoy the local cuisine!

You can't take any food from a ship (or plane) into any Australian or NZ port and it is enforced rigorously by use of beagles as sniffer dogs. Penalties are severe. This is due to our strict quarantine laws. Other countries might be similar. It isn't a Celebrity thing.

And it applies to packaged goods sometimes as well. NZ is really strict as it has a pristine environment. As an example, Honey in any form even packaged is completely banned. This is to protect their bees.

Edited by Pushka

Not so much a rule but a law. Most countries have strict agricultural laws to prevent risk of foreign pests being introduced. Generally nobody may bring most types of fresh foods into foreign countries without declaring them to local authorities for approval (i.e. fruits, vegetables, often meats, sometimes dairy products and more). Fines in some locales can be $10,000 or more and you can even potentially be detained. Most countries do permit factory sealed items (i.e. granola bars) as these pose virtually no risk to the local agriculture.

It is not a cruise line rule, it is a law of the countries that you visit. You can take off pre-packaged food (cereal boxes, granola bars, etc.) but nothing fresh (sandwiches, fruit, meat, veggies).

The reason is that these foods can introduce organisms that are not local and, in some cases, completely wipe out certain species of local flora and fauna. Think Dutch Elm disease in North America, which killed all the elm trees where I lived.

Please do not break this law. For an insignificant sum, you can buy a snack in port or do what we do and bring a few pre-packaged snacks for long shore excursions.

It also has to do with food safety. The ship doesn't want to be responsible fot that mayo on your sandwich you decided to eat after getting hungry sitting in the sun for a couple hours.

But mostly, it's a local regulation. I know Hawaii gets really protective of you taking any food (or animals or plants) off the ship or plane, especially fruits and veggies.

I think it depends on the port more than the cruise line. Can't ever remember seeing anyone having bags checked for food at a Caribbean port but then it is not something I would notice as taking food off the ship would never occur to me.
While I have not seen them everytime I've been there, I have within the last year seen food sniffing dogs on the pier in Cozumel, run by Mexican officials.

Thom

We've actually seen large purses, tote bags and back packs checked by local authorities for food items at a port. The offending items were removed and tossed in a trash container.

And very often you will see nice dogs who are trained to pick up agricultural items.

If having food with you on excursions is important (say for health reasons), then plan ahead and bring some sealed packages of granola bars, crackers, etc. with you on the cruise. I always have snacks with me, and it does come in handy. If not, then plan to eat a large breakfast or lunch on the ship, or better yet, partake of some local quisine.

I have read numerous posts that have stated passengers are not allowed to take food from the ship with them on excursions. I don't remember this rule from previous cruises. Is it a Celebrity rule? Does anyone know the reason? Do they actually check?

Thanks.

Kim

Every bag was checked in Belize last week. Everything not pre-packaged was taken away.

Thanks.

Kim

I think it depends on the port more than the cruise line. Can't ever remember seeing anyone having bags checked for food at a Caribbean port but then it is not something I would notice as taking food off the ship would never occur to me.

Many ports are very strict. In Chile, a woman tried to sneak some fruit ashore. We were warned and when we went through port security, a dog alerted on her and she was taken into security. The 'word' was she was heavily fined, and came close to being held by the authorities and miss the ship departure.

The do Not fool around about smuggling food that could carry insects and fungi and so on. Yes, some ports don't care, and yes, people do sneak food ashore.

But like so many other things we may not appreciate the ramifications of, this isn't a thing to try to blowoff. PGo ahead a sneak booze on board all you want, but dont be the Ugly American who thinks their shortp-term comfort is more important than a country's agribusiness.

Den

I was just in NZ and Australia and believe everything posted above. Follow the rules. Here is what happened to me. At the Auckland Airport the sniffing dogs were around and checking everyones' bags. I had purchased at home a sandwich to eat on the plane. Sandwich was gone by landing time, but the smell must have still been in my tote because the dogs tail was wagging and he was focused on my tote. A simple explanation and a thorough search of my bags and I was on my way. So know to follow the rules. Big fines if you are caught and you will be.

Ok. So we have covered the "Do not bring unpackaged food off the ship".

BUT, can we bring an unopened bottle of water with us for our long excursion in a port?

We have the non-alcoholic beverage plan that gives you bottled water and I would like to take a bottle (if permitted, of course) with me on one of my long excursions.