Harmony Keel Blocks are in the House... well they're outside actually!

Has Royal confirmed an official inaugural cruise?

Understand first cruise available for booking was originally 7 June 2016, then came 29 May and now there are a 3 and 4 day mini cruise prior to this in May-- would these be pre-inaugural ?

Also curious when will the christening be -- is this likely 6 June in Barcelona? Or does this traditionally take place in the shipyard?

In one of those long deleted threads (that got out of control) I had this great little "Who is on first?" dialogs where I talked about this sort of conundrum. It was when one of the Oasis-class ships launched, I believe.

(I will still state, in complete seriousness, that I firmly believe that going on the inaugural cruise should be free because you are just beta-testers for a ship that doesn't completely work yet! People shouldn't pay, much less pay EXTRA for these cruises.)

But basically the gist was... that I was signing up for the pre-pre-pre-pre-inaugural cruise because by the inaugural or even the pre-inaugural the best toilet seats had already been used. I once went on the pre-pre-pre inaugural cruise, but that was just full of wanna-bes and posers, everyone knows that one isn't worth the trip. You really need to focus on even-numbered pre-events to get the most out of your money.

I found it funny, but as with all message board posts, someone came in to one-up me and say they got to tour the ship prior to the first passenger being on board and how much more they knew about it than I did. Completely missing the fact that I wasn't serious and didn't actually do any of the early cruises.

Has Royal confirmed an official inaugural cruise?

Understand first cruise available for booking was originally 7 June 2016, then came 29 May and now there are a 3 and 4 day mini cruise prior to this in May-- would these be pre-inaugural ?

Also curious when will the christening be -- is this likely 6 June in Barcelona? Or does this traditionally take place in the shipyard?

There´s nothing like an official inaugural cruise. And it´s pretty likely that there is a pre inaugural prior to May 22nd out of Southampton for media and TAs.

There´s a 2 day gap between the arrival of the Harmony in Barcelona and the first cruise out of Barcelona (June 5th - 7th). This might be another pre inaugual cruise for media and TAs.

There hasn´t been an announcement regarding a naming ceremony. The Anthem´s naming cermony was during the pre inaugural out of Southampton in April. The Quantum´s ceremony wasn´t until she arrived in Cape Liberty.

Only the Italians´ (Fincantieri) do have a ceremony in the shipyard and then a second one after the ship is comissioned. Never heard of anything like that from Meyer or STX France. They only have the keellaying ceremony and the first steel cut.

BTW it´s been the Allure which added a 5 nighter prior to the officially sold inaugural cruise.

steamboats

There´s nothing like an official inaugural cruise. And it´s pretty likely that there is a pre inaugural prior to May 22nd out of Southampton for media and TAs.

There´s a 2 day gap between the arrival of the Harmony in Barcelona and the first cruise out of Barcelona (June 5th - 7th). This might be another pre inaugual cruise for media and TAs.

There hasn´t been an announcement regarding a naming ceremony. The Anthem´s naming cermony was during the pre inaugural out of Southampton in April. The Quantum´s ceremony wasn´t until she arrived in Cape Liberty.

Only the Italians´ (Fincantieri) do have a ceremony in the shipyard and then a second one after the ship is comissioned. Never heard of anything like that from Meyer or STX France. They only have the keellaying ceremony and the first steel cut.

BTW it´s been the Allure which added a 5 nighter prior to the officially sold inaugural cruise.

steamboats

Those may be a thing of the past. I seem to recall that all the inaugural goodies were given out to the unhappy TA passengers on the Quantum.

Those may be a thing of the past. I seem to recall that all the inaugural goodies were given out to the unhappy TA passengers on the Quantum.

The 'Art of Quantum' folio and 'Building of Quantum' book were always intended for the maiden voyage TA. The other 'goodies' were items also sold in the shops as Quantum 'Inaugural Season' items and included a rain poncho that folded up into a ball shaped as the Northstar and a traditional scarf that I have often found given out on maiden voyages.

The inaugural cruise was over 10 days after we arrived to Bayonne from Southampton.

All merchandise was marked 'Inaugural Season' and there was nothing referred to as 'Inaugural Sailing'

It is quite simple a fact that a maiden voyage is always the first sailing carrying paying passengers and an inaugural cruise is just a marketing ploy to enhance pre-sales.

^ and ^^ Thanks for these. Makes sense --or at least, more sense!

Noted that Royal does talk about an inaugural season rather than an inaugural cruise. Would have been nice to have received memento from our 29 May cruise but guess if we don't expect anything we can't be disappointed. :o

I was speaking about TAs = travel agents ;)!

steamboats

I know what you meant, sorry you didn't understand what I meant.

I was attempting to say that while I was not onboard, during the Quantum Trans Atlantic cruise, in order to placate the hoards of disappointed passengers they dove into some of the swag intended for the inaugural NJ sailing. That is just what I recall reading here.

The 'Art of Quantum' folio and 'Building of Quantum' book were always intended for the maiden voyage TA. The other 'goodies' were items also sold in the shops as Quantum 'Inaugural Season' items and included a rain poncho that folded up into a ball shaped as the Northstar and a traditional scarf that I have often found given out on maiden voyages.

The inaugural cruise was over 10 days after we arrived to Bayonne from Southampton.

All merchandise was marked 'Inaugural Season' and there was nothing referred to as 'Inaugural Sailing'

It is quite simple a fact that a maiden voyage is always the first sailing carrying paying passengers and an inaugural cruise is just a marketing ploy to enhance pre-sales.

But that is my point, they now sell items such as the scarf that used to be given away.

I was attempting to say that while I was not onboard, during the Quantum Trans Atlantic cruise, in order to placate the hoards of disappointed passengers they dove into some of the swag intended for the inaugural NJ sailing. That is just what I recall reading here.

I think the swag was meant to be given away all along - that's what I thought when we got it. The OBC and NCC was what was given to placate the passengers.

I know what you meant, sorry you didn't understand what I meant.

I did understand but you quoted my post which didn´t say anything about any goodies ;).

But don´t worry, giving out any goodies seems to be very indifferent... I´ve been on several media/TA pre inaugurals. Sometimes I´ve got something sometimes I´ve haven´t got anything.

steamboats

I did understand but you quoted my post which didn´t say anything about any goodies ;).

But don´t worry, giving out any goodies seems to be very indifferent... I´ve been on several media/TA pre inaugurals. Sometimes I´ve got something sometimes I´ve haven´t got anything.

steamboats

I believe I quoted you because you implied that inaugural cruises were special. I was just wondering if they have lost some of their lustre

We had free WOW bands on the Anthem out of the U.K.

There is no way they are worth paying any amount for imo.

However, it will be interesting to see if you can bring your old ones and get them re-programmed.

This will not function. Your Musterstation is noted on the WOW Band.

In case of emergency you get in trouble with a wrong number.

I have lost mine to the Flowrider on the Quantum. The Guest Service picked out and programmed a new one for me .They have a several box for every Musterstation.

(I will still state, in complete seriousness, that I firmly believe that going on the inaugural cruise should be free because you are just beta-testers for a ship that doesn't completely work yet! People shouldn't pay, much less pay EXTRA for these cruises.)

If they did offer the inaugural cruise for free, the number of people wanting to take it would be endless. As it is, even charging extra, they have no trouble filling the ship. So what is their incentive to reduce the price one cent?

If people weren't booking the inaugural cruises, the prices would drop to fill the ship. If the prices remain high, that proves there is a strong market for it, bugs and all.

c6de7740237da68227fbf600ad830716.jpg

Is that platform of steel in the boardwalk a raising elevator? If so I wonder if they use it to load the cabins as well as other items. If you look at the photo it looks as though it goes to each level of cabin as well as deck 15. Each level where it goes does not have a permanent type of banister rail. The platform also has safety rails as well as what appears to be a gate at the far end.

What do you guys think?

Is that platform of steel in the boardwalk a raising elevator? If so I wonder if they use it to load the cabins as well as other items. If you look at the photo it looks as though it goes to each level of cabin as well as deck 15. Each level where it goes does not have a permanent type of banister rail. The platform also has safety rails as well as what appears to be a gate at the far end.

What do you guys think?

A lift used for cabins indeed. Here is something similar on the Carnival Vista ...

http://cruisefever.net/1117-carnival-vista-receives-staterooms-inches-closer-to-completion/

If they did offer the inaugural cruise for free, the number of people wanting to take it would be endless. As it is, even charging extra, they have no trouble filling the ship. So what is their incentive to reduce the price one cent?

If people weren't booking the inaugural cruises, the prices would drop to fill the ship. If the prices remain high, that proves there is a strong market for it, bugs and all.

I'm saying they are nuts for doing so and should stop. The sheer volume of complaints from people who don't realize they are merely beta-testers is nuts.

1339066913615_3802756.jpg.f7c9e837b6ffcd9d5fc51375cad47ede.jpg

I believe I quoted you because you implied that inaugural cruises were special.

Nope, never said anything like that. Just that there are pre inaugurals for media/TAs prior to those "inaugural" cruise which can be booked.

The main problem is that people are thinking they have booked an inaugural / maiden cruise and do expect something special. There was a huge complaint when the Mein Schiff 3 came out. There were several pre inaugurals (media/TAs, invitation only) and then they sold an inaugural cruise. The passengers were not allowed to watch the naming cermony and they didn´t get anything at all plus had to cope with a lot of problems onboard (soot, closed pool, more stuff that either didn´t work or wasn´t ready).

First of all: Usually those inaugural cruises (those which can be booked) are not what you expect! Mainly nothing special and you´re not the first one sleeping in a cabin (even workers have been in the cabin before). Expect stuff which isn´t working yet! Expect an experienced crew but a crew which still has to find their way around. You are mainly a guinee pig for crew and the ship itself. If you expect a perfect working ship and the usual level of service.... better wait and book a later cruise.

steamboats

Back to the Harmony... that´s really odd that there´s still nothing to see from The Abyss...

Nope, never said anything like that. Just that there are pre inaugurals for media/TAs prior to those "inaugural" cruise which can be booked.

The main problem is that people are thinking they have booked an inaugural / maiden cruise and do expect something special. There was a huge complaint when the Mein Schiff 3 came out. There were several pre inaugurals (media/TAs, invitation only) and then they sold an inaugural cruise. The passengers were not allowed to watch the naming cermony and they didn´t get anything at all plus had to cope with a lot of problems onboard (soot, closed pool, more stuff that either didn´t work or wasn´t ready).

First of all: Usually those inaugural cruises (those which can be booked) are not what you expect! Mainly nothing special and you´re not the first one sleeping in a cabin (even workers have been in the cabin before). Expect stuff which isn´t working yet! Expect an experienced crew but a crew which still has to find their way around. You are mainly a guinee pig for crew and the ship itself. If you expect a perfect working ship and the usual level of service.... better wait and book a later cruise.

steamboats

Back to the Harmony... that´s really odd that there´s still nothing to see from The Abyss...

On the brighter side, we are seeing some of the Perfect Storm water slide sections (bottom right corner of photo)...

0025e0f6bc59c4e7e52eaf627b6df0ce.jpg

Most recent photo of Harmony's aft shows nothing.

f235c166f81de6101ab72a85ecd2609c.jpg

How peculiar. There don't seem to be ANY modifications to that area of the deck railing between the Flow Riders as of yet. I would expect to see at least some disturbance in the railing that would clue us in to the fact that something was about to be built off of it!

How peculiar. There don't seem to be ANY modifications to that area of the deck railing between the Flow Riders as of yet. I would expect to see at least some disturbance in the railing that would clue us in to the fact that something was about to be built off of it!

When is April Fools' Day again ? ;)

:D

Tom