123 is back starting June 2

Cruise Junky

The increased bookings at the higher prices (rather than them having to discount heavily closer to the date) is subsidising the drinks packages. The cost to X of the drinks packages is pretty small.

1500 out of 2800 passengers on our Eclipse trip two weeks ago had a package. We noticed no affect on service levels at Bars or in the MDR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What are you comparing it to?

I have two cruises I'm interested in, and which I've priced up. Will be interesting to see if the price has changed when this new offer goes live.

The thing is the prices have already been pumped up throughout the process of promotion after promotion.

Yes, you'd most likely have to give up what you have. Your TA could reprice for you on Monday so you could see the details

But you should be able to keep your cabin. They will just re price it with the current price (no discount) and you lose the OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But you should be able to keep your cabin. They will just re price it with the current price (no discount) and you lose the OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, definitely. I should have added that, thanks.

The thing is the prices have already been pumped up throughout the process of promotion after promotion.

I do fully understand what you're saying..but the flip side... I'm paying the same for a 13 night med. cruise in 2015 that I paid for a 12 night med cruise in 2005. For 2015 I'm getting a drink package and $200 OBC, in 2005 I got nothing. So for me, it's a win. The promos got me back on Celebrity. I think the Promos are adding considerably to filling the ships. I know at least 4 or 5 couples personally that have sailed Celebrity just because of the promos and they now love the brand and will continue to seek out Celebrity cruises in the future.

Are you on the same kind of ship going to the same ports at the same time of the year? Comparing the exact same Med cruise from just the last couple of years, the increases are astounding. For Concierge cabins with less benefits $600. pp more and for Sky Suites almost double.

Edited by Ma Bell

Are you on the same kind of ship going to the same ports at the same time of the year?

Equinox instead of Millennium. Not the same ports but if we did try and replicate what we did on Millennium I believe the cost would be cheaper. We're on the Spain/Portugal trip which seems to be priced a bit on the high side compared to some of the other Med. itineraries. And come to think of it, I was trying to think why we got nothing back in 2005 from our TA, I believe that was when X still allowed discounting. Both are in the same time of year too.

Edited by Cruise Junky

Yesterday, I checked our cruise we booked on board 4 weeks ago (prices have remained stable till yesterday). The prices have now gone way up. The other cruise we are interested in has stayed the same because it is a TA and the promo does not apply.

Hi Ruby,

May Reflection trips are shown on my US agents promo email showing they are covered by the offer. Think you will be fine tomorrow when the offer goes live.

Thanks Kevin, I have no idea how much the flights will be yet, last year we had them for £49 each, bargain

I may just check out the prices with your agent too as they will probably be cheaper

I just did check your agent, their price is about £75 less and they are offer £100 OBC, that is a good start

Edited by rubydoobydoo

Yesterday, I checked our cruise we booked on board 4 weeks ago (prices have remained stable till yesterday). The prices have now gone way up. The other cruise we are interested in has stayed the same because it is a TA and the promo does not apply.

which one were you looking at that jumped so high? Hi by the way :) Never mind, saw your roll call. Yeah, that one looks to have jumped $350 per person. Ouch.

Edited by Cruise Junky

The previous year when our cruise wasnt covered by a promotion and to 7 other cruises.

How can you compare to other cruise lines? We do about four a year on Celebrity and I sure noticed the difference in March.

Maybe if you were around long enough to see what the prices were before all the promos you wouldn't be so enthusiastic. You're more than welcome to my Elite drinks. If I'm having a drink it's not one of those anyway.

As P.T. Barnum once said , there's a sucker born every minute. You would have been much farther ahead getting a great cabin price and buying your drink package.

I love Celebrity but the new President has accomplished his purpose and he's not doing anyone any favors with the promos.

By the way I have lot's of nice friends from Winnipeg.

MA Bell,

What is wrong with the Elite drinks? We enjoy the wine, martinis and the brandy.

There is nothing "wrong" with them. I'm not drinking just to drink alcohol. I like to enjoy a good wine and a better tasting Martini. Just because it's free doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather pay for something I will enjoy. Just me.

Edited by Ma Bell

There is nothing "wrong" with them. I'm not drinking just to drink alcohol. I like to enjoy a good wine and a better tasting Martini. Just because it's free doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather pay for something I will enjoy. Just me.

Interesting,

I understand the concept of enjoying what you earn, more than if it was a gift, perhaps that is a similar concept.

We find the wine to be the same, whether or not we purchase it. The Martinis are not as large, but still vodka martinis with olives that taste great.

I can discern a fine wine, but find that I can still enjoy the basic wine served by Celebrity, which is not unlike the $12 a bottle wine we normally drink at home.

Each to our own. Hope you enjoy your expensive wine and martinis.

Interesting,

I understand the concept of enjoying what you earn, more than if it was a gift, perhaps that is a similar concept.

We find the wine to be the same, whether or not we purchase it. The Martinis are not as large, but still vodka martinis with olives that taste great.

I can discern a fine wine, but find that I can still enjoy the basic wine served by Celebrity, which is not unlike the $12 a bottle wine we normally drink at home.

Each to our own. Hope you enjoy your expensive wine and martinis.

I don't drink much so when I do I want to really enjoy it. I like wine with dinner, not alone and I don't drink straight Martinis. There are lots of different kinds of wine, not necessarily "expensive". just what I might enjoy with a particular meal. We all have our own preferences. If I liked what they were serving, great. I don't need to drink something just because it's there. I can enjoy the company without drinking.

Edited by Ma Bell

I don't drink much so when I do I want to really enjoy it. I like wine with dinner, not alone and I don't drink straight Martinis. There are lots of different kinds of wine, not necessarily "expensive". just what I might enjoy with a particular meal. We all have our own preferences. If I liked what they were serving, great. I don't need to drink something just because it's there. I can enjoy the company without drinking.

Someone has an agenda and wont be told.

What agenda would that be? There isn't another person on these boards who has been more supportive of Celebrity than I have. I have lot of history with them and I think more than a little experience in booking cruises with them. I think I'm probably one of the few people who actually has some concern for everyone on the cruise rather than just what affects me.

Just to clarify. Through the years I have been supportive of most of the changes in the Celebrity product because I understand that it's necessary to adapt to changing market conditions. Did I love all the changes? Not necessarily, but I embraced them because I understand the necessity for change. The basic ambiance and feel of the Celebrity product remained great.

The Celebrity staff and crew were some of the most well trained, competent people on the seas. They seemed to be proud to work for Celebrity and really enjoyed their opportunity. They worked long hours but there wasn't that feeling of overworked stress that I see with many of them now. They still do their absolute best to try to make everyone's cruise something special but I think they are fighting a losing battle. They can only do what is physically possible for them. I think it's difficult to describe to someone who hasn't been sailing long with Celebrity.

The dining room is only one example, but when you have fewer employees trying to serve many more people with beverage packages who want wine with each course of their meal, something has to suffer. It's not rocket science.

The thing that is disturbing to me is that people actually think they are getting something for nothing. The prices have been raised and re-raised to account for the cost of the packages plus raised a lot more. On top of that there have been cuts made to the product. The point I am trying to make is that I think the raises in price and cuts to service are becoming unreasonable and are a short term success for this President but may not bode well for the future. My only concern is that Celebrity remain a great product and not just like any one of the others.

My own personal treatment is beyond excellent but I am concerned about the whole experience for everyone.

I have always been a Celebrity cheerleader, but I'm not a fool.

Ma Bell, I'm not on these boards all the time and even though we are Elite we only cruise every 2-3 years. But I do recall your name every time I come here and I want to say you are always a kind voice of reason (you and Lois always stand out to me).

I believe all the changes you say are happening, and it is very disheartening to me. We'll go ahead with our cruise this year but I'm truly suspecting it may be our last, perks and all.

I wonder if they will reload all the prices tonight. I plan to book a cruise at 12:01AM EST if the prices stay where they are.

When I booked back in December last year when the 123 came out, the price did not change for my cruise so I basically got the drink package for nothing - I booked the first or second week it come out (can't recall exactly). And I had been pricing the cruise for awhile and it had remained at that price for a long while before the offering so it wasn't jacked up just before either. Hopefully same will happen for you. Price eventually went up weeks months later but not right away. BONUS!

There is no guarantee of anything I guess but good luck to you!

Edited by poffles

Ma Bell, I'm not on these boards all the time and even though we are Elite we only cruise every 2-3 years. But I do recall your name every time I come here and I want to say you are always a kind voice of reason (you and Lois always stand out to me).

I believe all the changes you say are happening, and it is very disheartening to me. We'll go ahead with our cruise this year but I'm truly suspecting it may be our last, perks and all.

I also agree with Ma Bell, and although I'd love to agree with Kevin about the service on our recent Eclipse cruise (10th May) I'm afraid I can't. After well over 30 cruises with P&O, we took our first Celebrity cruise in Oct 2011, and have never looked back. However, we noticed a marked difference in our recent cruise. Whether it was because it was UK/UK, and a different mix of people, (our last 3 have been fly cruises) I don't know. What I do know is that we could never get served at the Ocean View outside bar, and after waiting for 30 mins for one drink in the Sky lounge before dinner one night, we gave up. The martini bar, our absolute favourite, was always rammed, and we could never get a seat. I certainly don't want to generalise, or make sweeping statements, but we never had this when the free bev packages weren't on offer. We've always had the packages (premium) and been happy to pay for them, and in all honesty wish Celebrity would stop offering them as a perk. I do feel that on occasion, people were drinking for the sake of drinking, and witnessed a couple of incidents which were disgraceful.

We love Celebrity, and will continue to cruise with them (although maybe not UK/UK) but thought our last cruise definitely had a different 'feel' to what we had become used to.Lou