Gastropub

Cruising89143

I thought the burger was worth the charge. It's a thick burger. All food is prepared in the MDR.

imagejpg1_zpse4f3b0ad.jpg

If all food is prepared in the MDR, why do they charge so much for a burger? If it is thick, I will ask for 2 non-thick ones in the MDR. LOL

Slush_zpsb7950f53.jpg

Slush2_zps8cffbc0d.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics. Could never figure out what that area was for as it was never manned when it had the beach stuff there.

Now they are charging $7 for a non-alcohol slush and $10 for a alcohol slush. This should really bring in some revenue. Can't wait until the market opens tomorrow to buy more stock.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Im in two minds re the Gastropub. Yes Cellar Masters was underused but the conversion is hardly exciting. There is no colour or theme on show. I think they could have been a little bolder. At least the Martini Bar has those excellent lightboxes and comfy seating. I dont want to sit on a bar stool (actually I dont want to pay for food when Im pretty full already).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're welcome. :)

We ended up having dinner three different times during the 13 nights. All the food was good. This bar was MUCH busier than Cellar Masters. They held trivia here in the early evenings. Not sure if it was every night.

This is great! It generates more revenue for RCI and finally gets more people into previously underused square footage. We wanted to like Cellar Masters, but it was a ghost town most of the time. Sitting there by ourselves was depressing, so gravitated to either of the M Bars or went topside. When the weather is bad, this place should fill up and take pressure off the other venues. We sail on the 21st of June and will tip a Newcastle or two that evening. Join us!

I guess the 40 draught beer rumor is laid to rest now :D.

MARK

Thanks for the pictures. I'm glad to see they still have some comfortable chairs out of viewing range of the TV's.

Mary Lou

If the volume was turned up we did not hear it. They may have later in the evening when they were showing the World Cup.

Since this is the first conversion I expect X to tweak this venue with the next ship after they see what works and what needs to be improved.

Edited by cruisingator2

Hi Gang ~ for what it's worth (and it's not worth much), here's my take.

Cellar Masters and Michaels (except for ships where Perry Grant played in Michaels) almost never had anything going on in them. No entertainment to pull people in. They were basically two empty lounge areas. Think about it. The martini lounge has the "vibe" and great drinks; Ensemble always has music; Molecular has funky drinks that look like science experiments and have an entertainment value. Cellar Masters and Michael's had pretty much nothing.

Now they change Cellar Masters into a Gastro Pub (and I'm fine with that idea....we really like pubs) but it honestly doesn't look very different from before and it doesn't really look like a pub. The comfy seating areas are great but not conducive to eating a meal. Two high tops with three seats is pretty limiting. Groups of four or more don't want to sit together at the bar to eat. The big bulky wooden structures with a couple of stools don't give it a pub-like feel. Two flat screen TVs to maybe show sporting events but there is no seating to watch TV. If they wanted to turn this into a pub, why didn't they make it look like a pub?

I honestly feel they do things that they think will generate more revenue (and I'm fine with that, too) but I am quickly tiring of all the cuts (live entertainers, activities staff) and only adding more venues that add cost to the cruise.

Are they at least going to occasionally put some fun pub-like entertainment in here? I'm thinking probably not.

Part of me really wishes they would just raise the prices of the cruise a little and at least maintain live entertainment and activities staff instead of just adding more and more "individual fee based" dining options. But that's just me!

Cellar Masters and Michaels (except for ships where Perry Grant played in Michaels) almost never had anything going on in them. No entertainment to pull people in. They were basically two empty lounge areas. Think about it. The martini lounge has the "vibe" and great drinks; Ensemble always has music; Molecular has funky drinks that look like science experiments and have an entertainment value. Cellar Masters and Michael's had pretty much nothing.

Now they change Cellar Masters into a Gastro Pub (and I'm fine with that idea....we really like pubs) but it honestly doesn't look very different from before and it doesn't really look like a pub. The comfy seating areas are great but not conducive to eating a meal. Two high tops with three seats is pretty limiting. Groups of four or more don't want to sit together at the bar to eat. The big bulky wooden structures with a couple of stools don't give it a pub-like feel. Two flat screen TVs to maybe show sporting events but there is no seating to watch TV. If they wanted to turn this into a pub, why didn't they make it look like a pub?

I honestly feel they do things that they think will generate more revenue (and I'm fine with that, too) but I am quickly tiring of all the cuts (live entertainers, activities staff) and only adding more venues that add cost to the cruise.

Are they at least going to occasionally put some fun pub-like entertainment in here? I'm thinking probably not.

Part of me really wishes they would just raise the prices of the cruise a little and at least maintain live entertainment and activities staff instead of just adding more and more "individual fee based" dining options. But that's just me!

Well Said!!!! All in FAVOR - SAY IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Thanks so much for your updates and pictures! I've never been on a Solstice class ship to compare but the pub looks great to me. Can't wait to try it in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're welcome.

The Equinox is a beautiful ship with an outstanding crew. One of the most friendly that I gave experienced in almost thirty years of cruising. This cruise exceeded all expectations. The pub was a nice added option for a casual dining venue. If there were cuts I didn't see them but I feel blessed to have the health and financial means to be able to do what so many can't so I don't spend time looking for trivial things.

I'm working on photos of the ship and hope to have them ready later in the week. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Edited by cruisingator2

I think it is a great venue! Not sure how much we will eat there but for sure we will alternate between the hyper martini bar and the more relaxed Gastrobar! What a great use of the space. Glad to see they are also using it for a Trivia. Can't wait until Oct lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi, thanks for the photos:)...I think the bar looks great:D

Maybe I look at things differently since I am always cruising solo

but I would love to sit down, eat something and have a drink

at the bar.

Anne, you mentioned if you are with a group then you would want

an area with tables and chairs...I can understand that too but I

think the place looks great and to me it looks way different than

the Cellarmasters decor or maybe I don't remember what the old

decor looked like:confused:

Looks a bit brighter than Cellarmasters but we might pass it up as an uneeded extra..esp since it might be pricey a la carte. For those who like the style, menu etc, it will be a nice option in a formerly empty space.

Nice thing about the Bistro and the Porch for us are that they offer a nice lite meal without a tavern atmosphere which is what we prefer but we can see how this new space might fill a demand. It was doing nothing before so hopefully it will find its niche clientele.

At second glance, I think they went a little overboard with the truffle. It is in a large portion of their dishes. I like truffle, but truffle oil must be used sparingly and actual truffles that I have had in the past in Normandie were flavorless. Here is to hoping they have upped the quality of truffles and know how to use them.

I would suggest a cured meat and cheese platter. This menu needs that. And a fish and chip would be welcomed too.

Can't wait to try it. Any chance this will be on Reflection in January?

Loved the " fish & chips " on RCCL Liberty of the Seas ..free on a certain day on TA ..forgot name of pub ..was dee licious

Unfortunately I totally agree with you.

It might be more farsighted to bring some entertainment into the already existing venues.

I was happy to see the pictures of the GastroBar but am not sure how much we'll use that space.

Listen up Celebrity as the lady is talking a lot of sense!

Modern Luxury might work as a stripped down aesthetic but the entire X cruise experience is in danger of getting theadbare in places, particularly on the entertainment front. Add to this a perception that drinks prices and speciality restaurant fee levels are getting out of hand for experiences that do not always match up to the offer and there will be less satisfied customers.

You might just consider that whilst lowering the prices of the Cruise may make X more affordable and compete with some of the other mass market cruiselines for additional guests, firstly, those who can now just afford to cruise with X will not be shelling out on all of the extras, and secondly, in cutting back on the standard cruising offer, you are in danger of losing your USP of a luxurious experience and potentially cutting out the new passengers that in the past have looked to 'trade up' to X for a higher quality experience.

The introduction of the suites only experience seems almost to be a subliminal recognition that the standard offer has now dropped so low as to be under threat of still being percieved as luxury of any kind, modern or otherwise, hence the need to find ways of still attracting the higher rollers.

As I look for my next cruise, I can see less and less difference between the X brand and the RC brand and probably worse still for RCCL revenues less difference between X and Carnival brands, Princess and P&O.:confused:

Well SLUSH has my attention [emoji38]That drink menu sounds pretty good...I'd be quite happy working through most of those [emoji39][emoji2] thanks for the pics and details!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with you that in an ideal situation, turning Michael's into a pub would be the obvious move but as you said they needed a space for suite guests who are used to having a lounge & concierge on other ships. I don't see it as that the experience is eroding and X is trying to compensate as much as adding more "value" to high priced real estate. There is competition for suite guests and by improving the experience they can separate themselves further from HAL and Princess who don't even have Butlers anymore.

I think the Gastrobar concept will be popular and from looking at the few pictures of the menus that are posted, there will still be a great selection of wine offered as well as draught and craft beer. I think it will have a different vibe from Bo5 and the Porch as it is not necessarily a "food" venue but a bar with small or large plates available on request.

It may be a little early to judge it's appearances. They may have a different concept in mind when it goes into drydock for the first time.

We're really looking forward to trying it out. The only time we entered Cellar Masters was to pick up a tender ticket.

It may be a little early to judge it's appearances. They may have a different concept in mind when it goes into drydock for the first time.

We're really looking forward to trying it out. The only time we entered Cellar Masters was to pick up a tender ticket.

The Equinox just came from dry dock, hence the new additions.