Bad first impression

cd4lsu

Come on guys.

We (Carnival cruisers) always hear how Carnival sucks, it's the Walmart of cruising etc. Come over to Royal, pay more money and experience the WOW factor.

Well, this cruiser came over to Royal and is not experiencing the WOW factor. He is describing his current experience.

What happens? The alleged more upscale Loyal Royals jump down his throat and make excuses.

The Loyal Royal behavior on these boards is as bad as the Carnival Cheerleaders.

Another reason for me to believe that these two cruiselines are more alike than different.

We've cruised both and have a Carnival cruise coming up this Feb. I've always said they're more alike than not, but that said, the OP's post was a little dramatic for what his "issue" was. What exactly does "WOW" mean to you? Cause, it will be different for everyone. We don't go cruising looking for "WOW". We go for a vacation, to relax, etc and not being able to eat the minute we board is not on our radar at all and definitely would not be a reason to post on CC while standing in line where the OP didn't have to be. We usually spend the first hour or two onboard a new ship exploring, not looking for our next meal. Another reason to eat a large breakfast before boarding. Most cruisers look for hotels that offer free breakfast, or those like us that live near one port, eat at home. I'm guessing the issue was an inspection which means the dining staff and officers were kind of tied up with that. Other staff and officers were busy doing their jobs. Not everything requires an immediate apology or reason. Plus, who stands in line outside closed doors at the WJ? We certainly wouldn't.

First world problems.

Edited by BND

No way anzore, I do Carnival and RCs boards and Carnival has the most complaining AND the meanest "cheerleaders". It's entertaining to watch, but not appealing to participate in most days. ;-) I actually find this board quite tame and even hued in comparison.

Edited by gnocchi_mommy

Well said

Come on guys.

We (Carnival cruisers) always hear how Carnival sucks, it's the Walmart of cruising etc. Come over to Royal, pay more money and experience the WOW factor.

Well, this cruiser came over to Royal and is not experiencing the WOW factor. He is describing his current experience.

What happens? The alleged more upscale Loyal Royals jump down his throat and make excuses.

The Loyal Royal behavior on these boards is as bad as the Carnival Cheerleaders.

Another reason for me to believe that these two cruiselines are more alike than different.

The OP has the right to his opinion. I hope the rest of his trip is better!

Why do I get the feeling it won't be? Betcha he's going to be spending the rest of his vacation finding things that don't go exactly according to plan. Maybe we'll hear about it when he gets back.

this is almost comical.....if you ate breakfast why do you need to eat at 1230...is it the free food syndrome...? and before you had to post, did you ask someone on the ship what happened? all over food, only in America

I think it might be an age issue! I know so many older people that view lunch starts from 11:30 to 12:00, and the food better be available. My mom is a number one offender of this habit, and it drives me nuts having to meet her for lunch at 11:20am. It throws my day into pure chaos.

So, let me get this straight - you're on the Navigator, and I'm guessing the stated opening time for the WJ was noon. But, you line up at 11:15 to wait, and at a few minutes past 12 when there has been some delay in opening, you post your complaint as a CC thread!!??

Isn't this a bit early to decide you've made a mistake? Did you get fed, and how's the cruise going now?

BTW, your March cruise is still fully refundable.

No, it's 11:30.

...and this is a big part of the reason we've decided waiting to board was best for us. Getting there sooner doesn't mean the ship is going to leave sooner.

True, but it means we're on the ship sooner. And for us, the cruise starts when we get on the ship, not when it leaves the dock.

I agree with the others -- definitely unusual (I've never experienced any such thing on a RCI cruise) and if I were you OP I would leave that line and go eat elsewhere on the ship. One nice thing you'll find about RCI ships is different areas to eat around the ship. Carnival of course has the Lido Buffet and the grill / burgers, etc. right outside on the Lido Deck, but Royal has food down on its Royal Promenade too!

Just out of curiosity, how many places( not extra charge places) are there to eat lunch on day 1 on Navigator

This forum is a island of information surrounded by an ocean of drama.

I am wide-eyed in awe and admiration of your brilliance. ( I would have said "speechless", but when I do, people call me a liar. ;) )

That is absolutely one of the best descriptive sentences I have ever read. :)

Edited by Merion_Mom

My wife and I normally sail on Carnival, but we decided to give Royal Caribbean a try. We are currently standing and have been for an hour in a long line waiting to get into the Windjammer. They have still not opened it up. We have never had this problem with Carnival. I booked a March cruise during the BOGOHO sale, I am beginning to think it was a mistake. Royal Caribbean has definitely made a bad first impression. There is actually no foo ready on the ship!

I am on Navigator. WJ was scheduled to open at 11:30 and did not open until 12:15.

1. According to dabucs, the WJ opened about 10 seconds after the OP hit "submit".

2. I am not saying that this DID happen and I am not saying that this DID NOT happen, but as both a mother and a teacher, I say that it is entirely possible that an announcement explaining the delay was made, and the OP didn't hear it.

:)

The most likely cause of any WJ delay on embarkation day is still the CDC Vessel Sanitation Inspection or an internal form of the same inspection.

5 of the 20 inspected RCI ships got a perfect score of 100 in the past 12 months.

I was on Vision when she returned to the USA from the Panama season and watched how much work goes into prepping the ships for every call in the US.

I am sure no amount of CC criticism can discredit the pride they have in achieving that perfect score.

I am glad the focus on sanitation is taken so seriously, even if a few passengers 'lunches' are delayed by a few 'minutes'.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/inspectionquerytool/Inspectionwith100Score.aspx

I am wide-eyed in awe and admiration of your brilliance. ( I would have said "speechless", but when I do, people call me a liar. ;) )

That is absolutely one of the best descriptive sentences I have ever read. :)

Here here

Lots of drama queens around

But if you can sift through that

There is really good stuff to learn

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pavlov's dog...ding! ;)

True, how true

Add to this the must be first as may miss out attitude, combined with a vulture ideals, you possible have an idea on the new encouraged demographic.

Maybe RCI nickel and diming could make money out of this by selling FTTF vouchers (First to the freebies) to save the queues outside, in particular the CL/DL venue, being over 40 minutes prior to opening.

Edited by PORT ROYAL