which cruise line for me?

mya603

I want to do an Alaska cruise next May or June. Which cruise line would you recommend for a 54 yr old widow (who is not looking for a man). I like quiet, I'm not into drinking. I like shows. Just want to relax and see the sights and maybe make new friends.

In your other posts you state you already booked on NCL.

My friends and I have booked with NCL. But I do not think they are going to be able to go. And I have been looking at other cruise lines and am thinking I may switch to another line. That's why I'm asking about other lines. I have been looking at HAL and Princess but I am wanting to know what experienced cruisers think for a first time cruise alone.

Edited by mya603
adding info

I want to do an Alaska cruise next May or June. Which cruise line would you recommend for a 54 yr old widow (who is not looking for a man). I like quiet, I'm not into drinking. I like shows. Just want to relax and see the sights and maybe make new friends.

Based on your brief description of yourself, I recommend Holland America.

I'm the type person that likes to look at tons of information about things I'm planning on doing. So I am reading all on this site and asking questions. Hope I'm not bothering anyone with my questions.

I think HAL, Princess, or Celebrity would work for you. That said, I had a wonderful solo cruise on Carnival back in September. Alaska is more about the destination and less about the ship, in my opinion.

Roz

When I was researching an Alaskan cruise (we're booked for August 2015), I found that first-time visitors to Alaska should definitely see Glacier Bay, and that leaving from Vancouver, rather than Seattle, is a good idea because ships from Seattle sail to the west of Vancouver Island and can experience rough seas. That limited the available cruise lines to Holland America, Princess and Norwegian. I think we would have been happy with any of the three but we picked Holland America because we used them for our cruise this past August and enjoyed its relaxing atmosphere, good food, great service and elegant public areas.

I'm the type person that likes to look at tons of information about things I'm planning on doing. So I am reading all on this site and asking questions. Hope I'm not bothering anyone with my questions.

Not at all. Ask away. :)

I've done 2 Alaska cruises...one on Holland America Zuiderdam and one on Celebrity Millennium. Both were fantastic cruises and both had their advantages.

The Millennium was a one-way cruise from Seward to Vancouver and the overall cruise was excellent.

The Zuiderdam was round trip out of Vancouver and it was also excellent.

You'll see a lot of talk about Glacier Bay and I agree it was one of my favorite Alaska ship-board experiences on Zuiderdam, but cruising past the 18,000 ft high Mt. Saint Elias on our way to Hubbard Glacier on Millennium was also one of my most memorable days.

Both of these ships would make an excellent cruise based on what you said you're looking for. I just give the edge to HAL because the activites were more geared toward relaxation, whereas while you certainly could still relax on Millennium, some of the activities were a little more active...such as the polar plunge. Although, I think Celebrity ships are nicer than HAL.

Good luck with your decision. :)

You can do as you wish on ANY line....just because there are some "partiers" in a lounge, doesn't mean you have to join in!

Since shows are your thing, research who does the best entertainment!

right you are!

We did a cruise and tour on the Princess line and it was great! They really did a nice job from the time we arrived in Alaska when they had people waiting at the airport to get us to our lodging until the time we went home.

I too am a dedicated planner so I'm posting links to some information from my Holland America Lines Alaska experience for you. It must be noted that cruising in Alaska in May will have very few kids since schools are not yet on vacation.

Here is a pdf file with a photographic tour of the Ms Westerdam that sails in both the Caribbean and Alaska:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1561

Here is a link to the scanned daily activities (On Location) in Alaska (2014 Westerdam) in pdf format:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1643

Here are the Specialty Restaurant, Beverage, and Room Service (free 24/7) menus common to HAL ships:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

Here is a link to our Main Dining Room menus you can use as examples of what is available for lunch and dinner in both the Lido Restaurant and Main Dining Room:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1625

You will love Alaska.

P7150048.jpg

You can do as you wish on ANY line....just because there are some "partiers" in a lounge, doesn't mean you have to join in!

Since shows are your thing, research who does the best entertainment!

I don't usually agree with CB but in this case, they are right. First thing's first. Don't fall for the brainwashing gimmick that Princess or HAL have been cruising Alaska longer so that somehow means a cruise on their ships is better. That's BS and no one yet has been able to back up that statement on how exactly that means anything whatsoever.

All the major cruise lines and some of the smaller lines cruise Alaska. What you need to do is determine what itinerary you want first. Would you prefer a roundtrip cruise out of the same port, or are you willing to plan for a northbound or southbound cruise where you embark and disembark at separate ports?

Once you decide what itnerary you prefer, then you can narrow it down to the ships cruising that route. R/T Vancouver or Seattle is probably the easiest, but a northbound/southbound allows you to add a couple days land vacation in Alaska to explore on your own. Personally, I prefer the northbound/southbound routes that start/end in either Seward or Whittier - preferably Seward because it's one of my favorite towns in Alaska.

If good entertainment is a selling point, my first recommendation is Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas or Celebrity Solstice.

If you can narrow down your itinerary, we can help with more specific recommendations.

Oceania Regatta. Best food, no "nickel diming", air credit and other amenities, cosmopolitan demographic w/ less that 700 passengers and Hubbard Glacier up close and personal. The right TA/O perks on certain dates can bring the cost close to HAL and Princess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have only sailed on HAL. I can tell you that you will not be disappointed. That is not to say that you wouldn't enjoy Princess, NCL, or any other line cruising Alaska. If you are just going to cruise, I would recommend a round trip out of Vancouver (more Inside Passage). If you want to include a land tour, go southbound, doing the land portion first (chance to meet people) followed by the cruise. No matter what, enjoy yourself.

I'm still planning on doing a land tour before the cruise, so just have to wait and see if my friends can go or not. They will know by January so if they cannot go then I will see what is available for me. I may stay with NCL. I do not know as of right now. But if my friends do not go I would like to go earlier than NCL is doing a land/cruise. We shall see. Either way I plan on going!

• 6 months later...

My friends did not go. I changed my cruise to Grand Princess. I did pre-cruise land tour beginning 13th of May. Had a great time! I loved the land portion. Wow, the scenery! And the cruise was fantastic! Made some new friends and had a blast! I will definitely be cruising again.

Alaska is a different destination than other places. With AK, you pick your itinerary first and then find a cruise line to match.

DON