Fire onboard Oceania Insignia kills three

sppunk

Not everyone visits other boards and Oceania and HAL are often talked about together here a lot, plus most of us here are ocean-going fans in general, so wanted to post this terrible news.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6102

The fire was in the engine room. Ship evacuated, three workers (two contractors, one crewmember) killed.

RIP to those who died. :(

Wow very sad.

If there's a silver lining to be found it is that the ship was docked since an evacuation was deemed necessary.

Yes. Sad for the families of those killed and injured.

Wonder if we will hear details of the cause of the fire.

Yes. Sad for the families of those killed and injured.

Wonder if we will hear details of the cause of the fire.

Guessing it has to be shared. Matter of public record, etc.

Plus those ships span Oceania, Princess and Azamara's fleets. If it's a design issue it could impact several other vessels.

Guessing it has to be shared. Matter of public record, etc.

Plus those ships span Oceania, Princess and Azamara's fleets. If it's a design issue it could impact several other vessels.

Very, very sad news. My prayers to all involved.

I wonder if it could be a design issue. I believe it was 2012 that Azamara Quest caught on fire in the engine room.

Oceania statement...

We are deeply saddened by the tragic events that occurred this morning on Insignia. We have extended our heartfelt condolences to the families of those involved and are offering them our full support. This is truly an emotional time for all of us at Oceania Cruises.

Our top priority is ensuring all 656 guests return home as quickly and comfortably as possible. We’ve arranged for charter flights this evening to return all guests to Miami, as well as transfers and hotel accommodations in Miami until flights to their city of origin can be arranged tomorrow. All guests will receive a 100 percent refund, and a 50 percent credit towards a future Oceania Cruises voyage.

Oceania Cruises President and Chief Operating Officer Jason Montague, along with a team of guest and crew support and technical personnel, are in St. Lucia. This team is leading the effort to ensure guests and crew are well cared for, as well as working with the ship’s team and authorities to assess the situation. We will make additional details available as they become known.

I had spent an entire summer on that beautiful ship a few years back and am deeply saddened to learn of the fire and the loss of life.

Insignia is the "R-ship" that had left the Oceania fleet for a couple of years. It had been chartered by a Germany company (Hapag-Lloyd) and returned to Oceania in 2014...in May if I remember correctly.