Drink price increase?

I have been reading conflicting posts about increases in pricing. I have read $10 plus 18% for most drinks. Are these specialty drinks, plain old rum and cokes and are the prices fleet wide?

:confused:

On Liberty last week, every drink we had was at least $10. Did not order a plain rum & coke, so that might be less expensive. In January on Adventure, a house magartita was $5.50. On Liberty the same drink was $10.

On Liberty last week, every drink we had was at least $10. Did not order a plain rum & coke, so that might be less expensive. In January on Adventure, a house magartita was $5.50. On Liberty the same drink was $10.

Really that is interesting. I wonder why the price difference. Or why the increase. Sounds like they are pushing the drink package.

Really that is interesting. I wonder why the price difference. Or why the increase. Sounds like they are pushing the drink package.

The price increase happened between the time of his Adventure cruise and his Liberty cruise. And yes, most of us seem to think the prices were increased in order to push the drink packages. Sorry RCI but it wont work with me :)

We don't sail again until November. I had planned to buy the Premium package once on the ship, but after the recent drink price increases I decided to go ahead and purchase now. I have a feeling that they're pushing the package... and will eventually raise the price of the packages. Oh well. Everything goes up eventually I suppose. I can't complain though. Our cruise fare this time is virtually the same as it was on the same ship (Oasis) in late 2013.

The price increase happened between the time of his Adventure cruise and his Liberty cruise. And yes, most of us seem to think the prices were increased in order to push the drink packages. Sorry RCI but it wont work with me :)

Its not going to work with us either. We normally have 1-2 drinks a day each that's it. I can not have that many drinks a day. I am more of a soda drinker. Too bad you couldn't pre buy a gernic drink package for 20 drinks or something. I know there is different prices for different drinks so that would be hard to do. Something like that I would buy if it saved you a small bit .

Its not going to work with us either. We normally have 1-2 drinks a day each that's it. I can not have that many drinks a day. I am more of a soda drinker. Too bad you couldn't pre buy a gernic drink package for 20 drinks or something. I know there is different prices for different drinks so that would be hard to do. Something like that I would buy if it saved you a small bit .

I wish you could do this as well.

I just got off Voyager and a plain rum and coke(Myers or Appleton) was $9 included tax. Bacardi 8 and coke was $11.00 included tax. plain whisky and coke was $9 included tax and Crown Royal and coke was $11. included tax.

Looks like we will have to cut back on expense, at less the costs we can control. Specialty food service, on board shops, drinks, tips. I know the folks in Miami are not concerned with the passengers budgets and how this may affect the crew.

Edited by ewt715

Most of the drink packages include soda. I bought the package for my Allure cruise and it worked out well for me. For the Adventure cruise I think I will skip it because the cruise is so port intensive.

We don't sail again until November. I had planned to buy the Premium package once on the ship, but after the recent drink price increases I decided to go ahead and purchase now. I have a feeling that they're pushing the package... and will eventually raise the price of the packages. Oh well. Everything goes up eventually I suppose. I can't complain though. Our cruise fare this time is virtually the same as it was on the same ship (Oasis) in late 2013.

It sure does... gradual increases are acceptable but not by over 40% overnight :eek:

Wow! At these prices, it's worth considering the more upmarket lines, where the cruise fare is a bit higher, but it's all inclusive, so drinks are included within the fare.

When you look at these prices, it's easy to see that the premium lines are actually as affordable as Royal, if you like to have several drinks a day, and don't need lots of shows etc.

If that type of package was available, we'd go for it, too. With the current pricing, we simply won't buy any drinks at all.

If that type of package was available, we'd go for it, too. With the current pricing, we simply won't buy any drinks at all.

This. I'm actually surprised that they don't offer various limited drink packages along these lines. My guess is that they are simply selling the unlimited packages and betting the farm that most people won't drink enough to get to the make/break point. If they sold a specified number drink package, the per drink cost likely wouldn't be much less than a la carte pricing.

Jewel last week, the printed menus only listed the more "cocktail" type drinks about 90% were at $12 +18%, the rest at $10+18%. Not sure if a simple drink would be at the $10 price or perhaps lower.

Stuck to my couple of beers a day at $6 or so and skipped any of the cocktails I might usually have purchased. Didn't put on as much weight or spend as many dollars so I guess it was a win-win for me ?

I think that is a ridiculous price for such a drink.

But but but, thats what you would pay at a local bar! :rolleyes:

Yes its beyond ridiculous and about 3X what it would cost me at any local establishment i would frequent.

Serenade two weeks ago a vodka and grapefruit juice was $14 including the 18% tip

Hi,

Wow, that is a lot. Is that with the house brand vodka? I am a grey goose vodka girl, did you notice how much they were charging for the those drinks. It might be worth it to me to purchase the drink package at these prices. Does anyone know if grey goose is included with the package?

I just got off Voyager and a plain rum and coke(Myers or Appleton) was $9 included tax. Bacardi 8 and coke was $11.00 included tax. plain whisky and coke was $9 included tax and Crown Royal and coke was $11. included tax.

I assume gin and tonic would be about the same. Prefer Blue Sapphire but could live with bar brand. Anyone know?

Think maybe rum runners are in demand

Actually I am really surprised that we haven't seen too many rum runner threads recently. I wouldn't bother for a few $6 drinks but they are making it more worthwhile to take the chance.

A few drinks now will set you back $50!