New Celebrity Bundle Pricing (Go! Big, Go! Better, Go! Best)

Charles4515

I'm late to the discussion here but I figure the prices will be what the prices will be and it's up to us to decide what we want to pay. Here's my question - if lots and lots of people choose the option that includes unlimited wifi, is that going to slow everyone down online? Or, are they planning to upgrade the service? I guess only time will tell.

I was just discussing the same thing with my wife just now. The service that we paid for was so bad on the Summit in the Caribbean that we never used all of our minutes because we couldn't login. We had better success in port at hot spots. The more I think of it I think I would stop at the one included perk. The savings for the other 3 aren't significant enough to bother with. Of course if the price becomes more than what I'm willing to pay than it back to Princess or another line.

So aside from all the hoopla with advertising terms like Go!Big, Go!Better, Go!Best, how will this be any better than it would be simply to set a base price for each category without perks and then let the customers select the amenities they want to add on for themselves?

Not everyone wants to add on a beverage package or an internet package.

We would rather create our own "bundle" in whatever combination we want,

not have someone else make the choice for us by offering a limited number of pre-selected groupings from which to choose.

If their goal is to incentivize passengers to "upgrade" their booking by adding on more perks, they could easily use a sliding scale that makes the price of the additional perks more advantageous the more of them you add on to your bundle.

But that way it would be nothing special so there would be no reason to make a big deal out of it, like having a glitzy Go!Big, Go!Better, Go!Best campaign. :D

Do Cunard and P&O have a similar pricing scheme - i.e. you pay a premium price and get "something added"? and , at some point they need to shift the remaining rooms and then offer a cheaper fair with no extras and they pick your cabin for you in the category you pay for.

If Celebrity offers Guaranteed cabins I guess they'll come without the amenities.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/CEL/15045052_Go_Big_Go_Better_Go_Best/15045052_Go_Big_Go_Better_Go_Best.html has a lot of information that is being provided to TA's about the program. TA's will be pushing it because it moves onboard spending to upfront commissionable fare. Downside for us will be that any trip insurance will now be based on those costs too.

Personally, I think it's a great change all around. I would rather spend a few dollars and not have to worry about any onboard costs. With $45 per night, I buy my premium package, tips, internet, and a couple specialty meals. I don't have to worry about price drops and whether I'm going to get the same perks I had before.

Under current pricing - you still can buy all the components and not to worry about extra costs or price drops....

Go big is thee base price

So aside from all the hoopla with advertising terms like Go!Big, Go!Better, Go!Best, how will this be any better than it would be simply to set a base price for each category without perks and then let the customers select the amenities they want to add on for themselves?

Not everyone wants to add on a beverage package or an internet package.

We would rather create our own "bundle" in whatever combination we want,

not have someone else make the choice for us by offering a limited number of pre-selected groupings from which to choose.

If their goal is to incentivize passengers to "upgrade" their booking by adding on more perks, they could easily use a sliding scale that makes the price of the additional perks more advantageous the more of them you add on to your bundle.

But that way it would be nothing special so there would be no reason to make a big deal out of it, like having a glitzy Go!Big, Go!Better, Go!Best campaign. :

[/size]

So let's say I book a five day cruise and pick the Go!Better option, choosing the Classic Beverage Package and the $150 OBC for the two perks. So I pay the extra $75 ($15 x 5 days), use $59 ($11.80 x 5) of the $150 OBC to upgrade to the Premium Beverage Package, and then have $91 left over in OBC. So for an extra $16 ($75-$59) over what I'd pay anyway to upgrade, I'll get $91 in OBC! Not bad! A similar deal (but not quite as good) to be had on 7 day cruises as well.

I've got to be missing something??? It can't be that simple. The fixed $150 OBC regardless of cruise length just doesn't make sense.

I know, I know. I'll probably be paying more for the base cruise because of this "ingenious" new pricing structure (Celebrity's words, not mine).

Thx.

Bruce

For those wanting to see pricing this link has some sample pricing. The prices are starting at, so we would assume they are for Oceanview. We'll have to wait and see what the balconies and others shake out being.

On a 7 night cruise it looks like about $315 difference between BIG & BEST, so you add three more perks for $630 a couple. Assuming you get the drink package in the BIG the rest would be valued at; Grats, $182, Internet $210(one person) and OBC $300 for a total of $692 in value. So if you want these things you'd save $62.

Their promo says a saving of $760, for the life of me I don't understand their math. Anyone see where they get that? Perhaps they price it with the Grats in BIG, the least amount, then add the others. By putting the drinks package as an add on then their numbers work.

I guess that's for people that can't figure very well. Like me sometimes

Oops, EDIT, as I said, like me sometimes. I forgot the upgrade to Premium with the BEST which would be another $11.80 per person per day, which on the 7 day cruise comes out to $165.20, which makes the saving $227.20

Hi, ORV --

I haven't done the math for the 7 day cruise, but I did it for the 10/21/16 Constellation 12 night Med/Israel sailing.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/15045080_CEL_Big_Better_Best_Value_Proposition_Flyer.pdf

Celebrity's Calculations *do* seem to work out for me (with just some slight rounding differences). I based this on the very faint gray print at the bottom of the columns in this"Value Proposition" flyer (linked above and hopefully uploaded to the board with my post). You MUST choose the options in the same order as Celebrity to make the "value" come out to that in the flyer.

They specify double occ, ocean view cabin and the following amenity selections:

Go Big includes Classic bev

Go Better adds on internet package

Go Best includes all 4 options (with upgrade to the the Prem Bev package).

I also attempted annotate and upload the same sheet with my calculations on it. Not sure if it will prove helpful to anybody else. I just like "playing" with the numbers.

Today's current price for lowest OV cabin on this cruise is indeed the same as the price on flyer for "GO Big". It makes for great marketing that "Go Big" includes "free" classic bev package with no price increase from 3 days before the new pricing structure starts!

I have no easy way of confirming what the price for the cabin had been prior to it being held up as a marketing example.

Maybe somebody else just happened to have been following this cruise's pricing a could share? Or I could possibly "Fish around" for it.

Cost for GOing from "Big" to "Better" calculates out to $15 per person/day

Cost for GOing from "Big" to "Best" calculates out to $45 per person/day.

These price differentials line up with the 7/1/15 article I posted the link to yesterday.

We still really need to see how the new (Go Big) prices on cabins we want to book compare with current prices in order to determine overall value.

Jane

PS I wish Celebrity would stop using the stylized low contrast type on flyers; it's tough on older eyes!

I was able to find price history for lowest (08) OV.It's for 2 passenger. Looks like price was $300 lower ($150 pp) 3/20 to at least 4/1/15, but I have no idea if that price included any perks.

Price Created Updated

$ 3,298 2014‑11‑11 2015‑03‑20

$ 2,998 2015‑03‑20 2015‑04‑01

$ 3,298 2015‑04‑01 2015‑07‑04

15045080_CEL_Big_Better_Best_Value_Proposition_Flyer.pdf

Jane_Annotated 15045080_CEL_Big_Better_Best_Value_Proposition_Flyer.pdf

Edited by JaneStarr
To add Price History

:pThis all sounds great in theory but in reality

1)unlimited internet is not worth, or costs on other ships, $30(ish) a day unless you buy it on a day to day basis.

2)the OBC is just crazily not pro rata as I am paying a DAYLY cost to purchase it

3) Gratuities only fit (because of the $15 per day if you pick grats for better wont ever happen) if you take the best option and then the unwanted/overpriced internet and the OBC disparity kick in for longer cruises.

The BEST way to save money is to choose grats for big then chose the drinks for better rather than visa versa. That way you get $60 or so per day for $15 rather than $13.50 for $15. BARGAIN. Maybe the art auction types will go this route.:p

Edited by woodyren

I am on the Holy Land cruise and prices on the concierge cabins are now $300 more than I paid per cabin plus I get the 123 including $ 300 OBC not the $150 I would get by paying extra with the big better, etc.. I travel solo which is why the current deal is better for me. So needless to say I wont be canceling and rebooking this cruise.;)

So let's say I book a five day cruise and pick the Go!Better option, choosing the Classic Beverage Package and the $150 OBC for the two perks. So I pay the extra $75 ($15 x 5 days), use $59 ($11.80 x 5) of the $150 OBC to upgrade to the Premium Beverage Package, and then have $91 left over in OBC. So for an extra $16 ($75-$59) over what I'd pay anyway to upgrade, I'll get $91 in OBC! Not bad! A similar deal (but not quite as good) to be had on 7 day cruises as well.

I've got to be missing something??? It can't be that simple. The fixed $150 OBC regardless of cruise length just doesn't make sense.

I know, I know. I'll probably be paying more for the base cruise because of this "ingenious" new pricing structure (Celebrity's words, not mine).

Thx.

Bruce

It doesn't make sense because if you book a cruise 10 days or longer it's either a wash or you are paying more money than the OBC is worth. Also doesn't make sense for the gratuity which is less than $15 a day to being with.

Check out page 2 of this "Overview and FAQs" sheet from flyer linked in a prior post:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/15045079_CEL_Big_Better_Best_FAQ_Overview_Flyer.pdf

How in the world are they ever going to get all those codes & options properly reflected, in addition to the current ones that have often been missing from Confirmations?

Let's hope there has been a LOT of IT testing going on behind the scenes while management was working on launching this.

I strongly suggest that anybody really needing to access the web-site not count on it being up and functioning this weekend -- especially Sunday, since they have to reflect the new pricing structure to go live on Monday.

Jane

I'm not so pessimistic.

I've noticed they already implemented much of this i.e. the front-end, with the offer structure flashing when you try to make a booking. Note they haven't loaded pricing yet. It should just be a matter of loading the template with the prices and parameters to effect them.

:The BEST way to save money is to choose grats for big then chose the drinks for better rather than visa versa. That way you get $60 or so per day for $15 rather than $13.50 for $15. BARGAIN. Maybe the art auction types will go this route.:p

It doesn't make a difference which order you pick them in. The price for 'best' is the same either way, and you select both at the same time. So you should work out the value on the combined value, not one by one.

Also doesn't make sense for the gratuity which is less than $15 a day to being with.

Yes, but if a lot of people did the maths on drinks packages, they also wouldn't buy them, but it's just for convenience.

For many, the extra $10/person or so isn't a significant consideration in relation to the thousands of dollars cost of the cruise, and they'll be fine paying upfront and knowing it's taken care of.

Yes, but if a lot of people did the maths on drinks packages, they also wouldn't buy them, but it's just for convenience.

For many, the extra $10/person or so isn't a significant consideration in relation to the thousands of dollars cost of the cruise, and they'll be fine paying upfront and knowing it's taken care of.

But of course many of us prepay gratuities so not sure why I'd want to pay more with the better package vs paying with final payment, as we always do.

I think I'm missing your point.:confused:

But of course many of us prepay gratuities so not sure why I'd want to pay more with the better package vs paying with final payment, as we always do.

I think I'm missing your point.:confused:

I think the point that was being made was that a lot of people won't do their sums and will go for the best, without realising ( and in some cases not without bothering) that it isn't good value.

Cars are another example where people think with their heart not their head - people will happily pay many 1000s more for the premium spec when many of those features cost pennies to the car companies and add little value to the car in the mid to long term. £1500 for a sat nav that has less functionality that a £99 Tom Tom.

I've just noticed the UK website has a promotion on for selected sailings worldwide through to 2017, where they're offering three different add ons - A standard, a classic and a premium based on room category booked. With THREE different drinks packages - a new standard drinks package - with no coffee, lower per drink values, less choice of wine and beer.

It doesn't make a difference which order you pick them in. The price for 'best' is the same either way, and you select both at the same time. So you should work out the value on the combined value, not one by one.

An Aussie who didn't pick up the sarcasm.

I think the point that was being made was that a lot of people won't do their sums and will go for the best, without realising ( and in some cases not without bothering) that it isn't good value.

Cars are another example where people think with their heart not their head - people will happily pay many 1000s more for the premium spec when many of those features cost pennies to the car companies and add little value to the car in the mid to long term. £1500 for a sat nav that has less functionality that a £99 Tom Tom.

Spot on. :)

Hi, ORV --

I haven't done the math for the 7 day cruise, but I did it for the 10/21/16 Constellation 12 night Med/Israel sailing.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/15045080_CEL_Big_Better_Best_Value_Proposition_Flyer.pdf

Celebrity's Calculations *do* seem to work out for me (with just some slight rounding differences). I based this on the very faint gray print at the bottom of the columns in this"Value Proposition" flyer (linked above and hopefully uploaded to the board with my post). You MUST choose the options in the same order as Celebrity to make the "value" come out to that in the flyer.

They specify double occ, ocean view cabin and the following amenity selections:

Go Big includes Classic bev

Go Better adds on internet package

Go Best includes all 4 options (with upgrade to the the Prem Bev package).

I also attempted annotate and upload the same sheet with my calculations on it. Not sure if it will prove helpful to anybody else. I just like "playing" with the numbers.

Today's current price for lowest OV cabin on this cruise is indeed the same as the price on flyer for "GO Big". It makes for great marketing that "Go Big" includes "free" classic bev package with no price increase from 3 days before the new pricing structure starts!

I have no easy way of confirming what the price for the cabin had been prior to it being held up as a marketing example.

Maybe somebody else just happened to have been following this cruise's pricing a could share? Or I could possibly "Fish around" for it.

Cost for GOing from "Big" to "Better" calculates out to $15 per person/day

Cost for GOing from "Big" to "Best" calculates out to $45 per person/day.

These price differentials line up with the 7/1/15 article I posted the link to yesterday.

We still really need to see how the new (Go Big) prices on cabins we want to book compare with current prices in order to determine overall value.

Jane

PS I wish Celebrity would stop using the stylized low contrast type on flyers; it's tough on older eyes!

I was able to find price history for lowest (08) OV.It's for 2 passenger. Looks like price was $300 lower ($150 pp) 3/20 to at least 4/1/15, but I have no idea if that price included any perks.

Price Created Updated

$ 3,298 2014‑11‑11 2015‑03‑20

$ 2,998 2015‑03‑20 2015‑04‑01

$ 3,298 2015‑04‑01 2015‑07‑04

Celebrity has been offering 2 choices for Europe in the 123 program. So, if the price remains the same, the perks will be reduced at the start of the new pricing plan!!!!!!! We are on the same cruise and received 2 perks on the lower price. No benefit for the new plan.

Edited by vkb2751

Under the new pricing structure, if you don't want the drinks package, is there a way to opt out for a bare bones price?

As I understand it, no....in fact the entire (business) reason for the change is to increase the average revenue per day by (marketing) including a package with every booking.

Having said that (poorly), there will undoubtedly be promotions and sales and some of them might offer a bare bones package...(BTW...you can pretty much ignore any statements by celebrity of the parent company that they won't drop prices to fill unsold cabins or they won't hold sales, etc. They'll do what they have to to fill the ships on every sailing).

Yes it is that simple and yes its $150 obc no matter what length of cruise

That is the major weakness in this program. The longer the cruise the higher the price. Thus the OBC has less value. As the cruise length increases the daily value of the OBC decreases.

All the other items have a per day value for every day of the cruise except the OBC.

So it appears that you would only select the OBC on short cruises.