"Some amazing changes coming to Celebrity fleet" announcement mid-week this week!

days@sea

I love the ear buds idea from post #386. :)

Now THAT would be Modern, at least from an IT perspective!! :D

Issue Bluetooth-enabled headsets to movie-goers. If need be, require a nominal refundable deposit which is credited back to the cruiser's account upon return of the headset.

With Bluetooth-enabled headsets there wouldn't be the potential of the audio disturbing any other passengers and further, it would help to deflect other movie-goer's chatter (there are always a few out there! ;) ) during the course of the film.

Just my two cents.

I think this is a wonderful idea.

I love the ear buds idea from post #386. :)

Now THAT would be Modern, at least from an IT perspective!! :D

Issue Bluetooth-enabled headsets to movie-goers. If need be, require a nominal refundable deposit which is credited back to the cruiser's account upon return of the headset.

With Bluetooth-enabled headsets there wouldn't be the potential of the audio disturbing any other passengers and further, it would help to deflect other movie-goer's chatter (there are always a few out there! ;) ) during the course of the film.

Just my two cents.

What about sub titles for Asian cruises?

Will there be hearing assist loops or other devices?

Lots of questions only time will tell......

With the use of headsets, they could offer the movie sound track in multiple languages, when available.

Hi, cle-guy,

Yes, we had this exact dessert in Luminae on the Silhouette in June. It was called the Chocolate Sphere. The staff told us the pastry chef starts making them at the beginning of the trip--it's a labor-intensive dessert. This was one of the dessert selections at our last dinner in Luminae on that voyage. I think every table had at least one! The presentation is fabulous! :) And don't get me started on the taste...sinful, delectable, choco-to-the-max yummy goodness! ;)

Is this still being offered? Inquiring minds (and stomachs) want to know....

[quote name='dkjretired']Yes there is doubt. First off, the children's groups do not sit in cafe al bacio and watch the violin player as a primary thing to do. They have loads of fun things they do.

Each child is different, my daughter would love to go on a water slide, you couldn't catch my son going on one. But yet my daughter would prefer to be alone with her parents while our son would join every group he could find. I'm not the only one who deals with this. Big unwarranted generalization on kids[/QUOTE]

Agree with this, and villauk.

Another thing to note in Cle's comparison is not every Royal ship is Oasis! RCL have a wide range of ships and a fair number just have a rock climbing wall (in addition to the pools and arcades on all Rcl/Celebrity ships) as the only other "activity." Claiming that RCL will automatically be more fun for children when the only difference there is a rock climbing wall is a huge, unwarranted generalisation, and often inaccurate.

And yes, this is speaking from experience of children and both lines.

[quote name='cle-guy']I have just read many posts in various threads that have said that there was never nickel and dining, that the cruises used to be all inclusive, and meals were all in MDR, so I assumed that had been a recent like last 5-10 years or so development.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't have considered the extra charge "nickel and diming."

The service, standards and food of the Olympic and so on were a distinct cut above the MDR, although both had much higher standards then now. You were paying for a significantly different experience.

Just like people would say going to 41 is not nickel and diming going to McDonalds; they're just different restaurant experiences and one understandably costs more than the other.

Nickle and diming is paying for things that used to be included, and/or are a necessary or almost unavoidable part of the experience. Choosing to go to the much smaller Olympic for a much better, distinct experience doesn't fall into that.

[quote name='The_Big_M']Nickle and diming is paying for things that used to be included, and/or are a necessary or almost unavoidable part of the experience. Choosing to go to the much smaller Olympic for a much better, distinct experience doesn't fall into that.[/quote]

That's a good way of putting it. Although I don't use any of the extra restaurants, I don't consider it Nickel and Diming because I still have the MDR. However, the extra fee for late-night Room Service, that is Nickel and Diming by definition, lol.

[quote name='LuckiePuris']So what are the changes? Didn't want to read through 25 pages LOL! Thanks :)[/QUOTE]

The Normandie restaurant on Summit and SS United States restaurant on Infinity are to be replaced by "Tuscan Grill".
Movies under the stars to be put aft of deck 12.

See post 165 for the video announcement. Edited by upwarduk

[quote name='LuckiePuris']So what are the changes? Didn't want to read through 25 pages LOL! Thanks :)[/QUOTE]

Infinity is having the USS UNITED STATES removed and
Summit is having NORMANDIE removed...both of those restaurants
are being turned into Tuscan Grilles.
And they are adding an outdoor venue upstairs for movies.

These are not amazing things (in my opinion). Edited by Lois R

[quote name='upwarduk']The Normandie restaurant on Summit and SS United States restaurant on Infinity are to be replaced by "Tuscan Grill".
Movies under the stars to be put aft of deck 12.

See post 165 for the video announcement.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Lois R']Infinity is having the USS UNITED STATES removed and

These are not amazing things (in my opinion).[/QUOTE]

Thank you both for your time in your posts. I was hoping for a bit more for Solstice class! Molecular bar back, revised drink packages, new dining packages etc. Oh well!

[quote name='LuckiePuris']Thank you both for your time in your posts. I was hoping for a bit more for Solstice class! Molecular bar back, revised drink packages, new dining packages etc. Oh well![/QUOTE]

There were no "amazing announcements" for those items.

I can tell you The Molecular Bar is being removed from all the S class
ships...that is old news already. New drink and dining packages?:eek:

Not in my opinion either. SS United States was a great unique restaurant as were the others on the M class of ships.

Guess they will be able to appeal the all the people who can't miss a football game either!

Agree, would have been a bit different if they did something off the wall like turn the restaurant into a Ruth's Chris or a Morton's. Edited by dkjretired

[quote name='cgags47']That's a good way of putting it. Although I don't use any of the extra restaurants, I don't consider it Nickel and Diming because I still have the MDR. However, the extra fee for late-night Room Service, that is Nickel and Diming by definition, lol.[/QUOTE]

Give you a perfect example. Years ago on Cruise Critic one of the cruise lines started charging for ice cream. It was not Celebrity but you should have seen the furor on that board.

[quote name='cle-guy']Back to topic...

Was Normandie and SS United states etc. always on the ships since they were built? I've read some posts of the years that seems to indicate for-fee specialty dining venues are relatively new.

If not, what was there before it was a dining venue and when did they appear. Were they anything else along the way?[/QUOTE]

Curt:

The Specialties were new with the M class ships, later added in dry docks to Zenith, Horizon and the C class ships. Prior to the M class ships you either ate in the MDR or room service. The food and service in the early 90s in the MDR every night was superior to the Specialties now on any ship. Also, as an aside, if you did not dress up for dinner as per one of three dress codes, you did not eat except for room service. You might as well stay in your room as you were not permitted in other venues unless properly dressed. This was enforced after 6:00P.M on all ships, no exceptions. Two other quick points, initially MDR meals could only be had from room service in suites but mid nineties that was changed and you could get it in all cabins. My kids did it a couple of times. Finally, Celebrity had a buffet but did not have a buffet for dinner until probably turn of century. (guess on time)
Very popular on the ships was a casual dinner started I believe on M class ships. $2.00pp for table service in buffet area with waiters (supposedly those in training) which had excellent meals but was not the same meals served in the MDR.

One final point, not to get into dress code discussion but children were held to same dress code as parents. Not advocating this, just reporting it. Edited by dkjretired

[quote name='dkjretired']Curt:

The Specialties were new with the M class ships, later added in dry docks to Zenith, Horizon and the C class ships. Prior to the M class ships you either ate in the MDR or room service. The food and service in the early 90s in the MDR every night was superior to the Specialties now on any ship. Also, as an aside, if you did not dress up for dinner as per one of three dress codes, you did not eat except for room service. You might as well stay in your room as you were not permitted in other venues unless properly dressed. This was enforced after 6:00P.M on all ships, no exceptions. Two other quick points, initially MDR meals could only be had from room service in suites but mid nineties that was changed and you could get it in all cabins. My kids did it a couple of times. Finally, Celebrity had a buffet but did not have a buffet for dinner until probably turn of century. (guess on time)
Very popular on the ships was a casual dinner started I believe on M class ships. $2.00pp for table service in buffet area with waiters (supposedly those in training) which had excellent meals but was not the same meals served in the MDR.

One final point, not to get into dress code discussion but children were held to same dress code as parents. Not advocating this, just reporting it.[/QUOTE]

We tried the casual dinner/staff in training in the buffet area once. It was as I recall at the port side aft on Infinity when we tried it. The menu was again as I recall on our sailing a little limited, but pretty close to what you would expect in MDR. I think it was a Spring 2009 Panama Canal sailing.

Our whole MDR table decided to go as a group. I think there were just a half dozen tables blocked off.

We enjoyed helping train the staff on our one night and we were good sports as they learned! It did remind me that it is not always easy to do some of the things we take for granted.

Don't recall paying, but could have and it would have been nominal if there was a charge. Maybe that was to be used as a tip? Edited by shipshape sam

Quite a few years ago we were on a HAL ship near the radar domes. The following was painted inside the cordoned-off area near the dome.

[URL="http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/arnocruises/media/Cruise%20Critic/HPIM0330_zpsiq9rkoca.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah44/arnocruises/Cruise%20Critic/HPIM0330_zpsiq9rkoca.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'm not an expert on radiation emanating from radar but the new designated viewing area is surrounded by four radar domes.

Does anyone know if there should be some concern?:confused:

[quote name='shipshape sam']We tried the casual dinner/staff in training in the buffet area once. It was as I recall at the port side aft on Infinity when we tried it. The menu was again as I recall on our sailing a little limited, but pretty close to what you would expect in MDR. I think it was a Spring 2009 Panama Canal sailing.

Don't recall paying, but could have and it would have been nominal if there was a charge. Maybe that was to be used as a tip?[/quote]

We did the same on Infinity around South America in 07?. On that run they offered Rodisio / Rodizio Argentinian style barbecue offerings. Reservations were necessary but I believe the charge was $2 pp. What a feast!

[quote name='dkjretired']Curt:

The Specialties were new with the M class ships, later added in dry docks to Zenith, Horizon and the C class ships. [/QUOTE]

My brain may be failing me, but I don't remember them adding specialties to other ships except Century when Celebriity created Murano. That name was then carried forward later to the S-Class restaurants. I remember Murano on Century as a lovely room.

Phil

[quote name='Arno.']Quite a few years ago we were on a HAL ship near the radar domes. The following was painted inside the cordoned-off area near the dome.

[URL="http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/arnocruises/media/Cruise%20Critic/HPIM0330_zpsiq9rkoca.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah44/arnocruises/Cruise%20Critic/HPIM0330_zpsiq9rkoca.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'm not an expert on radiation emanating from radar but the new designated viewing area is surrounded by four radar domes.

Does anyone know if there should be some concern?:confused:[/QUOTE]

Without getting techno geek, there are several types of radar systems that are designed for specific functions such as weather, aircraft traffic control, speed control devices used by police and military configurations. They operate with varied radio frequencies, some of which pose little danger. Others are are capable of inflicting severe tissue damage in humans in a relatively short amount of time. Radar systems can be designed with a finely focused directional capability, much like a beam of light. Others are multi-directional. Multi-directional radar is what most people recognize. The unit spins. That's type is what is usually seen high up on a ship's superstructure.

Granted, this is not the definitive answer you are looking for but I doubt we would have been allowed to be in that area if RF emissions were at a dangerous level.

[quote name='excitedofharpenden']My brain may be failing me, but I don't remember them adding specialties to other ships except Century when Celebriity created Murano. That name was then carried forward later to the S-Class restaurants. I remember Murano on Century as a lovely room.

Phil[/QUOTE]

I believe you're correct. I don't recall any specialty restaurants being added to Zenith, Horizon, Mercury or Galaxy. Murano's was added to Century during its 2006 major refit, which included adding balconies to previously ocean view staterooms.