"Some amazing changes coming to Celebrity fleet" announcement mid-week this week!

days@sea

But really, is there any doubt for example, that a 9-12 years old is going to have a better time on RCL Oasis of the Seas than they will on Celebrity Millennium? I know from my experience being a kid, I would rather have waterslides and mini golf and a stargazer ride thingy, than sit in cafe al baccio and watch the piano player and violinist some afternoon. I know there will be tons more kids for them to play with on the RCL ships in any market, than on Celebrity Eclipse sailing out of Southampton in May. But I provided them full details on Fun Factory via links to the X site, so they can read and make an educated decision.

Yes there is doubt. First off, the children's groups do not sit in cafe al bacio and watch the violin player as a primary thing to do. They have loads of fun things they do.

Each child is different, my daughter would love to go on a water slide, you couldn't catch my son going on one. But yet my daughter would prefer to be alone with her parents while our son would join every group he could find. I'm not the only one who deals with this. Big unwarranted generalization on kids

Edited by dkjretired

Gosh, I can remember Millie back in 2000 when it was around $8 and you had to wear a coat & tie. I had a turtleneck and blazer and got a polite scold by the Maitre'D.

8.00?:eek: wow.....I remember sailing Constellation in 2004 and I think

it was 20.00.......it was the first time I had sailed an M class ship and

for 20.00, it was a steal;)

Gosh, I can remember Millie back in 2000 when it was around $8 and you had to wear a coat & tie. I had a turtleneck and blazer and got a polite scold by the Maitre'D.

I don't ever remember $8 even though we sailed 6 months after Millie's inauguration. Were they making 'deals' even back then? ;)

I do recall the strict dress code, though. In 2003, we were a group of eight with reservations in Normandie. One person in the group decided to "test the waters" and appeared in slacks and dress shirt. Needless to say, we had to wait to be seated while he returned to his stateroom to properly dress. :eek:

As others have said they were there from the beginning. We were on Summit 2 months after it debuted and Normandie was $20 per person. We went twice on that cruise and those meals still stand out as the best meals we have ever had at sea for both service and food. Just excellent. Today's version pales in comparison. I, am glad they are changing the venue, would rather just remember the best of them.....only our opinion of course.

The "M" class spec. rest. were among the first at this level of cruising, if not THE first.

Tying this in with the web site, you used to be able to go back years in the web site and pull up old press releases, it was very handy on this board, no longer the case.

Also, the search feature really stinks, its almost non functional and actually funny at times.

The M class ships all had 1 Specialty Restaurant when they were built.

The ships that did not have a Specialty Restaurant are no longer in the fleet.

Not sure where you heard they are "relatively new".......the only thing

new was when the M class were "Solsticizied" and additional Specialty

Restaurants were added.

I have just read many posts in various threads that have said that there was never nickel and dining, that the cruises used to be all inclusive, and meals were all in MDR, so I assumed that had been a recent like last 5-10 years or so development.

I wonder to what extent Luminae influenced the decision to change the signature dining experience onboard M-class ships.

I don't know how many suite occupants regularly dined in SS United States as the alternative to the MDR compared to the non- suites.

Now that there is a dining room for AQ passengers, another for suites, perhaps the service intensive French Style restaurant no longer was the draw of years gone by.

When we were on Reflection during the Luminae construction, we were "forced" to eat in a specialty restaurant every night for three weeks. As we rotated through the Lawn Grill, Murano, Qsine, and Tuscan, we visited Tuscan only twice in 21 days. Murano was our hands down favorite dining choice.

I have just read many posts in various threads that have said that there was never nickel and dining, that the cruises used to be all inclusive, and meals were all in MDR, so I assumed that had been a recent like last 5-10 years or so development.

The Specialty Restaurants have always been extra $.....whether it was

20.00 per person or 50.00 per person.......they have never been included

in the cruise price. Millennium was the first M class ship back in 2000

and there was a charge 15 years ago. So, nope it is not recent.

When Millie hit the high seas in 2000, fee-based specialty restaurants were still fairly novel. On our first M-class cruise in January 2001 we were assigned a 10-top table in the MDR. Among the group were Doctor and his wife as well as an eccentric wealthy widow who usually sailed Seabourn. One evening we advised our table mates that we would be absent the next night as we had reservations in Olympic. You would have thought we had just announced the ship was going to sink at midnight. A number of them commented "we would NEVER spend an extra $20 for dinner...". To each their own, however 14 years later we still remember that scene vividly and laugh about it often!

When Millie hit the high seas in 2000, fee-based specialty restaurants were still fairly novel. On our first M-class cruise in January 2001 we were assigned a 10-top table in the MDR. Among the group were Doctor and his wife as well as an eccentric wealthy widow who usually sailed Seabourn. One evening we advised our table mates that we would be absent the next night as we had reservations in Olympic. You would have thought we had just announced the ship was going to sink at midnight. A number of them commented "we would NEVER spend an extra $20 for dinner...". To each their own, however 14 years later we still remember that scene vividly and laugh about it often!

LOL Beav, too funny......:D....now there are people who won't even

step into the Main Dining room anymore:eek:

Earlier up thread, someone had posted a promotions flyer that had an image of the ship a long time ago, and the blurb mentioned a chocolate bombe surprise.

Is the image I am posting here what that was? I found this in a facebook feed someone said they are serving this in Luminae now.

12091182_10204136509126718_9065535362825301557_o.jpg.dcc14c3ce9ab9aea059cea92063aacc7.jpg

I wonder to what extent Luminae influenced the decision to change the signature dining experience onboard M-class ships.

I don't know how many suite occupants regularly dined in SS United States as the alternative to the MDR compared to the non- suites.

Now that there is a dining room for AQ passengers, another for suites, perhaps the service intensive French Style restaurant no longer was the draw of years gone by.

I've wondered the same thing ever since you posted about Tuscan replacing SS United States on Infinity. It certainly stands to reason, given the higher-priced categories (starting with AQ and going up) now have their own, unique "specialty" main dining venues. No doubt =X= has data that reveals which stateroom categories most support fee-based restaurants over those that don't.

Edited by BEAV

I love the ear buds idea from post #386. :)

Now THAT would be Modern, at least from an IT perspective!! :D

Issue Bluetooth-enabled headsets to movie-goers. If need be, require a nominal refundable deposit which is credited back to the cruiser's account upon return of the headset.

With Bluetooth-enabled headsets there wouldn't be the potential of the audio disturbing any other passengers and further, it would help to deflect other movie-goer's chatter (there are always a few out there! ;) ) during the course of the film.

Just my two cents.

Earlier up thread, someone had posted a promotions flyer that had an image of the ship a long time ago, and the blurb mentioned a chocolate bombe surprise.

Is the image I am posting here what that was? I found this in a facebook feed someone said they are serving this in Luminae now.

Yes, that was what we had in Luminae. After dinner I mentioned I wished I had taken a picture. The next night they told me to be sure I brought my camera as the chef was preparing it for us on the following night. It was a stiff chocolate mousse center with a scoop of ice cream enveloped in a dark chocolate sphere that collapsed when the heated brandy(?) was poured over it. So good with a port wine.

Hi, cle-guy,

Yes, we had this exact dessert in Luminae on the Silhouette in June. It was called the Chocolate Sphere. The staff told us the pastry chef starts making them at the beginning of the trip--it's a labor-intensive dessert. This was one of the dessert selections at our last dinner in Luminae on that voyage. I think every table had at least one! The presentation is fabulous! :) And don't get me started on the taste...sinful, delectable, choco-to-the-max yummy goodness! ;)

Even with Luminae we dined in Normandy 3 times for dinner and once for lunch on our recent Summit cruise. We will miss that restaurant. Luckily our next 3 cruises are now on S class ships. We'll be evaluating our Panama Canal cruise as reports come in, but I suspect, since we are in a RS we will be moving it to a later date in a CS.

I have recorded this as well, using nearly your exact same verbiage... ;)

If Celebrity was really interested in passenger input into fixing the idiosyncrasies they should have set up an 800 hotline a decade ago.

Every time that I fill out the info for an xpress pass on a back to back cruise, half the info does not get remembered from my profile, nor does it stay for our next booking. Why do I have to tell them how many Celebrity cruises we've taken. They should know.

When I constructed my chart for Celebrity itineraries a certain vacation website was more helpful and easier to navigate between ships and itineraries than the Celebrity website.

When there are so many threads about a disastrous experience, people at X should not be giggling, they should know by now that their IT department is synonymous with incompetence.

Sorry to get off topic but that seems to be the norm for the amazing news that was released.... ;)

If celebrity wanted to fix the it problems, they should get a copy of Tina's session with us some year or two ago.....or they would ask celebrity cruises for their input since they monitor and participate here. What do they do instead....start from scratch. Cle...let us know when they fix even one item on your/our list

If Celebrity was really interested in passenger input into fixing the idiosyncrasies they should have set up an 800 hotline a decade ago.

Every time that I fill out the info for an xpress pass on a back to back cruise, half the info does not get remembered from my profile, nor does it stay for our next booking. Why do I have to tell them how many Celebrity cruises we've taken. They should know.

When I constructed my chart for Celebrity itineraries a certain vacation website was more helpful and easier to navigate between ships and itineraries than the Celebrity website.

When there are so many threads about a disastrous experience, people at X should not be giggling, they should know by now that their IT department is synonymous with incompetence.

Sorry to get off topic but that seems to be the norm for the amazing news that was released.... ;)

Arno:

Perhaps you should enter "0" and see if you get an upgrade.

That is an interesting Luminae thought Arno. I didn't see that chocolate item on the menu but will keep an eye out for it.

The first few days in Luminae, I didn't care if we ate elsewhere, but by the time we made it to the SS United States I have to say it was the best meal of the cruise. It was better than most past Murano meals.

Now my first Tuscan meal would beat many Murano ones so it all depends on service and keeping standards up. As I also left Tuscan once thinking I would not return.

Cle I knew something was up with you as I noticed you posted things slightly early. And I thank you for letting us know. At this point in my cruising career it may make little difference but when I was new it was quite shocking.

I think the world would run a bit smoother if the notion of conflict of interest was in vogue again. So I applaud disclosure. Still have no idea what a needle is but I am sure it will become apparent.

This dessert was served at the Captain's Table on Infinity last month. Quite impressive.

Wife is one of those who still says it, with the prices now I agree with her. I'd better..

The Specialty Restaurants have always been extra $.....whether it was

20.00 per person or 50.00 per person.......they have never been included

in the cruise price. Millennium was the first M class ship back in 2000

and there was a charge 15 years ago. So, nope it is not recent.

Lois is correct, the original reason for having a surcharge was for crowd control and we were told the whole amount went for the tip. If there was no charge everyone would want to eat there.