Fort Lauderdale Cruise Terminal, Not Good!

captdave

[quote name='Member123']Hi, there.

So, I was wishing that I'd taken a picture of the Global Entry sign at Port Everglades because I know how difficult it is to try to inform people of something that they think they already know... even if it's a pleasant change.

Anyway, I found something even better! When I google searched, I came up with the Cruise Guide 2016 Port Everglades, What's New booklet. I did a copy of the relevant information and here it is:

What’s New/FAQs

Global Entry Now Available at Port Everglades

Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival back in the United States. Upon debarkation, signage will direct cruise guests who are Global Entry participants to the front of the line in all cruise terminals.

Travelers must be pre-approved for the Global Entry program. All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and in-person interview before enrollment.

While Global Entry’s goal is to speed travelers through the process, participants may still be selected for further examination.

Coming soon to Port Everglades is CBP’s Mobile Passport program, an app on your mobile devise that will expedite the entry process into the United States. To learn more about the Global Entry program, visit cbp.gov/global-entry/about.

This information can be found at

[url]http://www.bluetoad.com/publication/?i=274849[/url]

go to page 16 in the booklet.

I think that, according to the customs agent I spoke with, the kiosks are going to be installed soon, but in the meantime... they are honoring Global Entry. Look for the signs directing you to the proper line. This will make coming into Port Everglades a much more pleasant experience, IMO.[/QUOTE]

What great news. Thank you for the research and follow up.
Hoping Miami will be next.

[quote name='captdave']
Go out to a 5 star restaurant for an expensive anniversary dinner, over tip everyone and have them hit you with the door on the way out? That doesn't make sense for Celebrity?
[/QUOTE]

I liken it to going to a 5-star restaurant in New York City, then walking out the door and getting on the Subway home or flagging a Taxi cab.

Most patrons in NYC restaurants will do it this way via Taxi and Subway, but a few will arrange private limousine transfers to extend their 5-star experience beyond the threshold of the restaurant.

It snow surprise that the cruise experience is truly over at midnight the night before disembarkation, it's just an odd part of the cruise experience. Have to get 2000 people moved within 4 hours time off a ship, thru customs off port property and to airports hotels trains stations and private homes. Now go and find a 5-star restaurant that can do that!

We've never had an issue at Ft Lauderdale. We park offsite at a car park place. Have used them and they rock.also have did cab and that was also not an issue. I agree with previous poster. Must have been a couple cruise ships in at the same time. Celebrity would have nothing to do with any transportation once you leave ship.

[quote name='Desertbelle']I feel badly for someone who allows an hour or two of difficulty to shadow their whole cruise experience.

People do seem very rushed and cranky on disembarkation day, and it can be troublesome, especially waiting in long lines, but it's a minor fraction of the whole cruise experience and it's a shame to make a big deal of it.

Airport check-ins, TSA checks, customs, immigration checks.....all of it has become a very unpleasant part of traveling these days, and it is best to experience this with good humor and a light heart, and let it go as soon as it's over....not dwell on it afterward. :)[/QUOTE]

Hi,
I like your post and your attitude...... it seems that it did not change from the time I/we cruised with you number of years ago.

[quote name='Christine Frances']I just downloaded the App Mobile Passport - officially authorized etc I'm going to give it a close look and see if it will work with Nexus:)

[url]http://mobilepassport.us/[/url][/QUOTE]
Please do let us know!

Curious as to which terminal this was at? We have used 4 terminals at Port Everglades over time. Three in recent years with Celebrity and RCI. Terminal 18 where Oasis Class docks was the best. We used it on Equinox.

Sequestration is one of the main reasons for low numbers of Customs Agents. It happens at all International Arrival locations (Air, Sea and Land).

I don't see much in this is on the cruise company.

[quote name='wieslaw']Hi,
I like your post and your attitude...... it seems that it did not change from the time I/we cruised with you number of years ago.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't have said it any better. A positive attitude is very necessary especially on travel days

[quote name='bones43']Couldn't have said it any better. A positive attitude is very necessary especially on travel days[/QUOTE]
Thank you. We are so fortunate to be able to cruise, it seems a shame to be angry and upset during those precious few days a year we get.

Here's what happened the last time we were in Ft. Lauderdale port, in April....I had almost forgotten.

We get off the Allure (a wonderful cruise) and one of our bags is missing. I find it easily in the "missing bag area", thank goodness. Then we wait a fair amount of time to get to customs...but we expect that, and aren't concerned. The customs agent is pleasant and soon we are free! We walk out to the taxi line and get a cab immediately.

As we pull away the driver is fiddling with his meter, it doesn't appear to be running correctly. He pulls over to the side of the road just before the exit from the pier and continues to mess with this meter. He tells us he will get a $500 fine if he leaves the port without the meter working. We wait a few more minutes for him to turn it off and on and off and on and off and on. He's pushing buttons and he just can't make it start metering. Finally, I say, "We are meeting my sister for breakfast, when might we be able to continue on?" He again, tells us the situation of a fine if the meter isn't running. I suggest he call his dispatcher and ask what to do. He does this, she is no help. Now, I am finally getting a little upset. I tell him he needs to either take us to the hotel or take us back to the pier to find another cab. He reluctantly turns around to take us back to the ship. When he drops us off he asks for a payment??!!?!?!?! What? You didn't take us anywhere and it took about 25 minutes to not take us anywhere!! He starts to give us some attitude and the man who oversees the taxi line comes over to see what the problem is. When he hears what has happened, he immediately puts us in another cab and sends us off with sincere apologies. We see him and the cab driver having words as we leave....it didn't look like it was going well for the cab driver.

So, quite the hassle to get out of the port, but, it didn't have ANY impact on whether or not we enjoyed our cruise, or the lovely meeting I was late for with my sister, who I hadn't seen in a year.

Traveling is an adventure, and if you can't roll with the punches, traveling might not be for you.

We have sailed several times through this port. Most of the time the bottleneck has been customs. Remember often there are several ships in port at the same time. We typically use a taxi to get to the airport and truthfully I dont remember ever waiting more then 15 minutes. Celebrity has on some cruises a program where you can check your bags with them (on certain airlines) straight through from the ship and you dont see it until your home airport. I was skeptical but it worked fine. Truthfully leaving the ship is usually a taxing experience but I am not sure given the volume of folks coming and going within such a short period of time to me its amazing it isnt worse. We try to get a departing flight around 11 or 12 to make it less nerve racking.

• 1 year later...
Thank you. We are so fortunate to be able to cruise, it seems a shame to be angry and upset during those precious few days a year we get.

Here's what happened the last time we were in Ft. Lauderdale port, in April....I had almost forgotten.

We get off the Allure (a wonderful cruise) and one of our bags is missing. I find it easily in the "missing bag area", thank goodness. Then we wait a fair amount of time to get to customs...but we expect that, and aren't concerned. The customs agent is pleasant and soon we are free! We walk out to the taxi line and get a cab immediately.

As we pull away the driver is fiddling with his meter, it doesn't appear to be running correctly. He pulls over to the side of the road just before the exit from the pier and continues to mess with this meter. He tells us he will get a $500 fine if he leaves the port without the meter working. We wait a few more minutes for him to turn it off and on and off and on and off and on. He's pushing buttons and he just can't make it start metering. Finally, I say, "We are meeting my sister for breakfast, when might we be able to continue on?" He again, tells us the situation of a fine if the meter isn't running. I suggest he call his dispatcher and ask what to do. He does this, she is no help. Now, I am finally getting a little upset. I tell him he needs to either take us to the hotel or take us back to the pier to find another cab. He reluctantly turns around to take us back to the ship. When he drops us off he asks for a payment??!!?!?!?! What? You didn't take us anywhere and it took about 25 minutes to not take us anywhere!! He starts to give us some attitude and the man who oversees the taxi line comes over to see what the problem is. When he hears what has happened, he immediately puts us in another cab and sends us off with sincere apologies. We see him and the cab driver having words as we leave....it didn't look like it was going well for the cab driver.

So, quite the hassle to get out of the port, but, it didn't have ANY impact on whether or not we enjoyed our cruise, or the lovely meeting I was late for with my sister, who I hadn't seen in a year.

Traveling is an adventure, and if you can't roll with the punches, traveling might not be for you.

You should report the taxi company and the taxi number to Broward County Consumer Protection

I don't think Port Everglades (or any other cruise port) has Global Entry. Only airports have this service.

Port Everglades has had Global Entry for almost 2 years. All terminals.

Call the Port, not the cruiseline.

They are the only Port to have Global Entry and Mobile Passport (APP)

So are you saying the buses to the airport they were making them standing room only, making people stand in the aisles? It the only way I can imagine what you describe, as it's typical to fill all empty seats, which wouldn't be over crowding...they normally have multiple busses lined up, and as one has every single seat full it leaves and they begin to fill the next till it is also full. It'd be silly to send buses out with empty seats...I've had to sit and wait 15-20 minutes for a bus to fill, but its no biggie, still get to the airport in plenty of time.

And as to taxis', it's hit and miss at the pier for sure. I've given up on taxis' as the taxi line is often 45 minutes long for me consolidating multiple ships from multiple piers into 2 disorganized lines coming from both ends, so I just take whatever available shuttle service I can find. But as you arrived on a Monday, there was probably not many if any other ships in port, so it was an atypical day for that issue.

As to customs delays, yes they waive lots of people right thru, others they inspect and question. If they truly were waiving everyone by, there truly would been no line. Again, it all varies on each situation the officer encounters. Anyone with issues with the speed of this area, must contact their Congressional representatives to react, Celebrity can't do anything about this, nor any other cruise line. Customs is as Customs is. Write tour rep asking for better service, and add Automated Kiosks for those with Global Entry status.

Port Everglades has a Global Entry line. No kiosk. Everyone on your declaration form can go with the Global Entry card holder.

They also have Mobile Passport APP

Varies a lot.

We disembarked Port Everglades a week ago tomorrow.

Highest port load day in months, 6 ships (3 megas), 22,500+ disembarkations.

Time from entering gangway to entering taxi: Around 12 minutes.

Used Global Entry line but that saved, at most, a minute or 2.

I learned this so many years ago on CC and it never fails us.

When we enter the luggage terminal, we hold up a few bills for a porter.

He will get your bags, take your luggage with you following through customs and grab you a taxi. Quick and easy. :)

We have sailed several times through this port. Most of the time the bottleneck has been customs. Remember often there are several ships in port at the same time. We typically use a taxi to get to the airport and truthfully I dont remember ever waiting more then 15 minutes. Celebrity has on some cruises a program where you can check your bags with them (on certain airlines) straight through from the ship and you dont see it until your home airport. I was skeptical but it worked fine. Truthfully leaving the ship is usually a taxing experience but I am not sure given the volume of folks coming and going within such a short period of time to me its amazing it isnt worse. We try to get a departing flight around 11 or 12 to make it less nerve racking.

Unfortunately, the program you mentioned (called Luggage Valet) has been discontinued by Celebrity, (Royal still has it!) so we are at the mercy of customs, cab drivers and can no longer get our boarding passes onboard.:mad:

A few years ago, I remember that the terminal used by M-class ships at Port Everglades was fine but there was a very long walk at disembarkation at the terminal used for S-class ships.

Is this still the situation, please? My husband could manage the M-class disembarkation but needed wheelchair assistance for the S-class and I should like to be pre-warned for our upcoming cruise on Equinox.

Edited by Project_gal

Get a wheelchair. It's a crap shoot, when we got of the Reflection we waited almost 45 minutes for our luggage then another 40 min in the immigration line, which snaked all the way back to the luggage area. My advise take the wheelchair, passengers meet in Sushi on Five, better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sue, you might luck out and get terminal 18, the new one built for RC. The terminal web site shows Equinox using it for the next sailing which is on Monday since the large RC ships are not in port. We're stuck with 25 which is the one with the long walk if I remember correctly.

A few years ago, I remember that the terminal used by M-class ships at Port Everglades was fine but there was a very long walk at disembarkation at the terminal used for S-class ships.

Is this still the situation, please? My husband could manage the M-class disembarkation but needed wheelchair assistance for the S-class and I should like to be pre-warned for our upcoming cruise on Equinox.

We just had that awful terminal on infinity..very long walk to the customs area...and they took all the walk offs in the elevators with luggage in small groups...to avoid accidents at the escalators....Very poorly organized but Celeb did their best under the circumstance

Best terminal is at the end by the Conv Center. We had that for Connie....park right in front ..easy on, easy off.