When do you book your hotel

CaribbeanCrush

We'll be staying Ft. Lauderdale before our next cruise. Wondering how far in advance do you book your hotel room.

As soon as I can, and then keep watching the price because they do change from time to time. However, I normally book refundable reservations. If I was paying a non-refundable fee up front, I would book around the time I made cruise final payment.

Edited by clarea

ASAP, book a refundable room, and check it ofter to see if the price has gone down or they are offering things like free breakfast etc.

I hesitated last spring, in booking a room, and the offer was a free breakfast and a cheap price. That offer went away and never came back and the price for the room went up about $35.

honestly, I usually procrastinate until a month or 2 in advance. Then again, my last couple have been out of Newark where there's so many rooms that you can throw a rock and get a good deal. Lauderdale might be harder. We have family within driving distance of port and stay with them usually. Only ever got a room down there once.

We'll be staying Ft. Lauderdale before our next cruise. Wondering how far in advance do you book your hotel room.

Directly after I book the cruise. We booked our hotel for our next cruise which is in now in less then three weeks, last December. We paid significantly less- about 40% then the rate is now.

If I find another hotel with a better rate- or that I might prefer- no problem as cancellation is typically available with no penalty up to 24 hours (or less) in advance of your stay. Sometimes, I actually book a room at two hotels for the same cruise. I then decide prior to the cruise which I believe will workout best for us and cancel the other.

Enjoy your cruises!

We booked our hotel in march for our January 2016 cruise. I originally booked it for 2 nights . When I made the reservation I verified that I could cancel as long as I cancelled 2 days prior to my arrival. In November I called them to cancel 1 night and they said I couldn't because they were all booked. I said ok then cancel my entire stay and then just rebook me for just the one day. They told me they couldn't do that because they are all booked. I told them if you cancel my reservation then that opens up my room and then you could rebook my reservation. They said the only thing she could do was change my reservation to come in Friday instead of Thursdy but I would have to still pay for Thursday. I ended up canceling the entire reservation and booked another hotel. So just becareful when booking too far in advance.

We booked our hotel in march for our January 2016 cruise. I originally booked it for 2 nights . When I made the reservation I verified that I could cancel as long as I cancelled 2 days prior to my arrival. In November I called them to cancel 1 night and they said I couldn't because they were all booked. I said ok then cancel my entire stay and then just rebook me for just the one day. They told me they couldn't do that because they are all booked. I told them if you cancel my reservation then that opens up my room and then you could rebook my reservation. They said the only thing she could do was change my reservation to come in Friday instead of Thursdy but I would have to still pay for Thursday. I ended up canceling the entire reservation and booked another hotel. So just becareful when booking too far in advance.

Could that be a hotel with a 2 night minimum?

Like everyone has said, book as early as possible. Depending on what time of year you cruise, there may be 6 or more ships in port on the weekends. I've never done the math, but I always figure that could mean 20,000 or more traveler's either coming or going or staying there, and even tho there are tons of hotels, I figure all these people want the same room I want !

As soon as I can, and then keep watching the price because they do change from time to time. However, I normally book refundable reservations. If I was paying a non-refundable fee up front, I would book around the time I made cruise final payment.

We also book as soon as we know the plans for the cruise are definite.

And while you may often find lots of deals and rooms available up to the time you need to travel elsewhere, based on my research/experience the hotels in FLL can be very expensive.

I haven't found the prices to drop, many hotels are sold out now and hotels are about double what I normally pay from any other port so far.

Two nights in a hotel in FLL costs about the same price as my whole cruise.....couldn't believe it.