Another Long Time Celebrity Cruiser Jumping Ship

Lois R

Lois R,

We are also going to try a river cruise probably in the 2017, but I do not anticipate the river cruise affecting my other cruise pattern.

I know you have many posts on this forum, so I hope you will stay active and share whatever you might find out about other cruise line opportunities. Although Celebrity is my favorite I do cruise on other lines when it is a better match/value. I also noticed a very significant increase in costs for the fall 2017 TAs, but when I checked with the Princess version they were even more expensive. I do wonder if the price increases are just leveling the playing field when Celebrity has always offered a significant better value in the past. I will keep checking as I am sure you will as well. As you said really two separate issues. I am anxious about the new pricing for the 2018 14 day cruises.

Are you Zenith on Celebrity? With all the extra benefits with Zenith I would think it would be hard to give them up. Too bad it is not transferable.

I am sure at some level based on the title of your thread that you hope your example would lead the CEO to change direction. Reasonable hope not really related to any River Cruise plans IMO.

Enjoy and keep us posted.

While my DH and I truly enjoy Celebrity, we also enjoy other cruise lines. We love the RC Oasis Class ships when sailing with family, who have kids under 17, and recently had a great experience on NCL in the Haven. It was wonderful but expensive. Have enjoyed sailings, perhaps not as much on Princess and it's sister Carnival.

It is a good idea to have many different cruise experiences . It makes your choices so much more meaningful and gives you a true basis for comparision. After trying different brands and classes of ships, we now make informed decisions on which ships, where and when to sail.

I have wanted to just try one of the bigger ships, but ever time I check they are more expensive than Celebrity. Is this also your experience?

By the way we cruised on the Royal Princess with friends in the Baltic base on the itinerary and it was very nice, but not less expensive. Although some of the extras were certainly less expensive. No need for a drink package on the Princess due to their lower drink prices.

Then why did they go "Best"? Why not just "Better" where they would get paid gratuities and classic pkg. That's a lot less than the $315 per person extra for "Best".

Anyone who believes they are getting something for nothing now with the Go program, is not realistic. Friends of mine booked a FC while sailing with us and I have the copy of their invoice; $315 per person for the Go Best program. It is a good value if you use all of the products including Premium Alcoholic package, Gratuities, Internet and OBC but do they need all of that. OBC and Gratuities is great but they enjoyed the Classic Package and don't intend to use the internet while vacationing.

After a dozen years of sailing with Celebrity I am moving on.......

Taking my first River Cruise in April:D.....I know it is about 360 degrees

different than an Ocean Cruise but it is something I have wanted to

do for a long time and I have the opportunity so I am taking it:).....

I was on Summit last month and yes, I had a good time but now with

the new pricing program (I booked that one before the GO Program

came into being).....but anyway, when I went to the FCC while on SUMMIT

and looked at a window cabin for next year on Summit.....lets just say

this is the first time in many years I have nothing booked on X.....not

even a deposit.

Seems I am not the only one changing.....I have read several threads

and know several people who are also switched.....I guess everyone

has their own reasons but I just know I am so looking forward to this

River Cruise.....sailing out of Amsterdam in the Spring....it is called

TULIP TIME:)

Not sure what I am going to do next fall......Maybe Celebrity, maybe

not.

Have been with Celebrity for 10 years and have seen changes on ships. Sailed Equinox for Thanksgiving '15 and noticed several $$ savings changes by Celebrity. IMO some changes not so good. First time sailing that we did not book a future Celebrity Cruise.

Have always wanted to do European River Cruise so are booked for Spring '16 for 2 weeks. Looking forward to the new cruising experience and being on a boat with less than 200 other cruisers.

Edited by texkan

...............enjoy river cruise...we have looked for a long time at them, but they just cost too much for us...We would rather do land trips in Europe, but I know you will have great time.

We have been on a 8 day river cruise from Amsterdam to Basel 3 years ago and last year did a similar journey but followed the Rhine by car. I would definitely recommend the car version, more flexibility and cheaper but enjoyed both. The highlight of last year's trip was to go up the Eiger / jungfraujoch - top of Europe - stunning.

P

So the OP is planning to take a river cruise? Well, so am I. I hope to combine it with a Celebrity TA. I don't consider that "Jumping Ship." :eek:

I don't think the point is jumping ship, but more that Lois, & it seems many other long time Celebrity cruisers, are beginning to look at other options or cruise lines to spend their dollars on due to their dissatisfaction with the direction Celebrity is headed.

There isn't any denying that Celebrity is constantly chipping away the very things that made them a step above the other main stream lines. Couple that with higher cruise fares, & a catering to suite passengers,& you have the reaction from many long time X guests that you see on this & other threads. I have been on Cruise Critic since the AOL days, & have NEVER seen the level of dissatisfaction on the Celebrity boards that is evident for the past year or two, over so many different things. Those who are relatively new to Celebrity probably do not notice the changes, & Celebrity still provides a good cruise experience, so they may wonder what our problem is, but if you've experienced the old Celebrity, the difference is real.

Perhaps if enough vote with their dollars, as Lois said, Celebrity will get the message. Sadly, that probably won't be the case. If we leave, there will be others to rush of in to take our place, & not ever know what they're missing.

Too bad.

Edited by richsea

I don't think the point is jumping ship, but more that Lois, & it seems many other long time Celebrity cruisers, are beginning to look at other options or cruise lines to spend their dollars on due to their dissatisfaction with the direction Celebrity is headed.

There isn't any denying that Celebrity is constantly chipping away the very things that made them a step above the other main stream lines. Couple that with higher cruise fares, & a catering to suite passengers,& you have the reaction from many long time X guests that you see on this & other threads. I have been on Cruise Critic since the AOL days, & have NEVER seen the level of dissatisfaction on the Celebrity boards that is evident for the past year or two, over so many different things. Those who are relatively new to Celebrity probably do not notice the changes, & Celebrity still provides a good cruise experience, so they may consider wonder what our problem is, but if you've experienced the old Celebrity, the difference is real.

Perhaps if enough vote with their dollars, as Lois said, Celebrity will get the message. Sadly, that probably won't be the case. If we leave, there will be others to rush of in to take our place, & not ever know what they're missing.

Too bad.

Agreed....

Another thought regarding cruise fare. I don't know how far out the cruise lines lock in fuel costs, but with the price of oil down into the high 30s from in excess of $100, wouldn't one think that would affect the cost of the fare?

Lois, I hope you will post a review after your Tulip cruise. I will be there April 21, right after you! Also my first river cruise and one I have been wanting to do for a long time.

As for Celebrity's prices yes they have gotten ridiculous for sure. But what goes up often comes down. I am leaving for South America in less than 3 weeks to go on Infinity around the Cape. I booked an OV because the cheapest balcony was $3,000 more (single occupancy). A few days ago Celebrity offered me an upgrade to a great 1A balcony for $400 so I saved myself about $2,500 by booking this way. The same thing happened to me last year on the Holy Land cruise in October 2014 from Istanbul. So their prices are not holding up even on some popular itineraries like South America.

Booking at the last minute or booking the lowest cabin I will be willing to accept (OV) and trying to upgrade after final payment will be my strategy in the future for most Celebrity cruises.

Anne

I equate the op to the way I used to feel about Delta Airlines. For decades I flew them exclusively. Then when they began screwing with the loyalty program doubling the required points and blocking out the desirable times other than red-eye, they lost my loyalty. Now I fly the airline with the time and price that works for me.

I'm starting to feel the same way about X. While I had a good cruise on the Summit a couple of months ago, I noticed a marked downturn in service and quality from my Mercury days.

Now they've taken away the daily water in AQ which I booked while it was still offered. This will be my first AQ cabin. Perhaps my last as the prices are going through the roof and Blu seems to be the only real perk left.

If what many posters believe is true, Celebrity will be happy to see long time customers with many benefits leave for other lines. Fill those cabins with new cruisers of any age and they'll save a lot more than by not giving Aqua cabins a bottle of water each day. I'm almost to the point of booking a TA on Regent next year. My wife is entitled to certain cost benefits which make Regent a very reasonable alternative to X.

We have chosen to select price and itinerary over accruing higher loyalty status.

As for Celebrity's prices yes they have gotten ridiculous for sure. But what goes up often comes down. I am leaving for South America in less than 3 weeks to go on Infinity around the Cape. I booked an OV because the cheapest balcony was $3,000 more (single occupancy). A few days ago Celebrity offered me an upgrade to a great 1A balcony for $400 so I saved myself about $2,500 by booking this way. The same thing happened to me last year on the Holy Land cruise in October 2014 from Istanbul. So their prices are not holding up even on some popular itineraries like South America.

Booking at the last minute or booking the lowest cabin I will be willing to accept (OV) and trying to upgrade after final payment will be my strategy in the future for most Celebrity cruises.

Anne

This has been my strategy for a while now. Booking last minute as a solo is the way to go.

I like Celebrity but honestly other cruise lines are just as good. I like longer cruises and price and itinerary are more important to me than loyalty to one line.

Enjoy your river cruise Lois. I did one, Moscow to St Petersburg, a few years ago but their prices too are high.

This has been my strategy for a while now. Booking last minute as a solo is the way to go.

I like Celebrity but honestly other cruise lines are just as good. I like longer cruises and price and itinerary are more important to me than loyalty to one line.

Enjoy your river cruise Lois. I did one, Moscow to St Petersburg, a few years ago but their prices too are high.

Mary ann

I think we met one night on Serenade in October in the Diamond lounge. I was sitting with Joyce and Wendy. If so, hope you are doing well...Anne

Celebrity outpriced us too, we went to book a week cruise in equinox whilst we were on Reflection this year, and it was going to cost the same for 7 nights as we paid for 10, we just felt it was too much, and I am usually pretty easy going about the budget, I went in all ready to book and left feeling disappointed.

Lois, I hope you enjoy your river cruise. We will try a land holiday next year.

Mary ann

I think we met one night on Serenade in October in the Diamond lounge. I was sitting with Joyce and Wendy. If so, hope you are doing well...Anne

Yes we did Anne. I didn`t know your CC name. That was a lovely cruise and I am still missing those chocolate martinis LOL.

Interesting thread.

I have not booked a future cruise on my last three cruises with Celebrity. I always used to do that. Do not need to use the OBC on board booking credit on the cruise I'm already on. Already have OBC from my booking.

I have two more cruises booked with Celebrity for 2016 under the old system (before BBB), and one of them will have to go as they are too close together. The future looks murky. I don't like that they are converting restaurants like the SS United States to Tuscan. I've had good meals in Tuscan and terrible meals. At that price point, there should be no terrible meals. Never had a bad meal in SS United States. There are lots of other opportunities for me to spend my travel dollars. The present pricing structure does not encourage planning ahead. I still have the opportunity to jump on cruises after final payment if the price is right.

So we shall see what we shall see.

Taking my first River Cruise in April.

Get ready for your vacation planning to forever change Lois!

We have some friends that are E+ and just did their 1st. She said it will be hard to ever go back to an ocean cruise. They loved it!

Congrats,

EW

Have a great first river cruise. DW wants to do one also, but alas, she wants Alaska, Yellowstone, New Orleans, time at our beach house, Disney with grandkids, .... :)

We too have moved from being very loyal to Celebrity to checking each cruise with a number of cruise lines. We do give Celebrity '$$ value' for our Captains Club status which is just below Elite +, but we are also so very close to Diamond + on Royal and right now, they have better perks at our level, at least for us.

I know lots of people like the BBB program, but we don't as we think it requires us to accept perks (included in higher pricing) that we do not want.

I too have lamented the lost of US United States dining. I don't totally fault Celebrity as they have a responsibility to their shareholders. I do not think Celebrity management rash and they, I am sure, do a lot of background before making strategic decisions.

I for sure hope foremost that you have a great river cruise.

Sad to say, but you can put us -- along with Lois and Host Andy -- on the list of those who are seriously considering other cruising options. And yes, I'm aware that other mainstream cruise lines are also raising prices, while cutting costs. Don't know what exactly we'll do, after next year's Mardi Gras cruise. But, I guess that it's time to start looking.

After years of exclusively sailing RC, we switched X. Our main reason was that RC started marketing to a demographic that we did not fit into. We found ourselves paying for Dreamworks characters and Flow-riders (which we did not need) -- all the while, the quality of food and service on RC continued to slide. After our first X cruise, on Solstice in 2010, we knew that we had found a new cruising home. But now, X is clearly looking for a new customer base -- and, it definitely doesn't appear to be us. :(

Edited by wwcruisers

Thanks to all of you who have given out kind words and for those who

have been on River cruises too:)....yes, I know it is going to be waayyyy

different......and as for ocean cruising? I don't know what the future holds,

but I will always love it;).....just not sure Celebrity holds the key for me

anymore........

Hi Maryann, thanks...some River Cruise Companies now (quite a few of them actually) offer solo cabins with no SS......just an FYI:)

Lois R,

We are also going to try a river cruise probably in the 2017, but I do not anticipate the river cruise affecting my other cruise pattern.

I know you have many posts on this forum, so I hope you will stay active and share whatever you might find out about other cruise line opportunities. Although Celebrity is my favorite I do cruise on other lines when it is a better match/value. I also noticed a very significant increase in costs for the fall 2017 TAs, but when I checked with the Princess version they were even more expensive. I do wonder if the price increases are just leveling the playing field when Celebrity has always offered a significant better value in the past. I will keep checking as I am sure you will as well. As you said really two separate issues. I am anxious about the new pricing for the 2018 14 day cruises.

Are you Zenith on Celebrity? With all the extra benefits with Zenith I would think it would be hard to give them up. Too bad it is not transferable.

I am sure at some level based on the title of your thread that you hope your example would lead the CEO to change direction. Reasonable hope not really related to any River Cruise plans IMO.

Enjoy and keep us posted.

Hi, nope I am not Zenith and it would take many more years of cruises

to reach that level:eek:...I am Elite + but not even 1/2 way to Zenith.

Sad to say, but you can put us -- along with Lois and Host Andy -- on the list of those who are seriously considering other cruising options. :(

Host Andy just commented on another thread:

"The bottom line is, sometimes, it's not the worst thing to take a break from your favorite brand, if only to see what else is out there. I'm glad we sailed Princess - but we can't wait to be back onboard a Celebrity ship."