Oasis sea sick

cvskult

I thought the oasis class ships were supposed to be more sturdy then some of the smaller ships but the more reviews I read the more I'm getting worried as many shows in the past have been cancelled due to rough seas. Getting super anxious about leaving in 10 days.

I thought the oasis class ships were supposed to be more sturdy then some of the smaller ships but the more reviews I read the more I'm getting worried as many shows in the past have been cancelled due to rough seas. Getting super anxious about leaving in 10 days.

We were on Oasis a couple of weeks ago and that was the smoothest of the 11 cruises we have done. The ice show was cancelled on the second night but it was due to mechanical problems, they couldn't keep the ice frozen, not rough seas.

The Oasis is a flat bottomed, high sided barge ... so when the winds and the seas get sassy, that big ugly ungainly thing is gonna get tossed and rocked and shimmied and fishtailed all over the place.

Edited by F27TW

The Oasis is a flat bottomed, high sided barge ... so when the winds and the seas get sassy, that big ugly ungainly thing is gonna get tossed and rocked and shimmied and fishtailed all over the place.

Well that makes me feel great about booking Allure coming up here soon. :D:D:D

Just a note, every ship is flat bottomed.

If you don't like the motion, stay off the ocean..........;)

We were on Oasis a couple of weeks ago and that was the smoothest of the 11 cruises we have done. The ice show was cancelled on the second night but it was due to mechanical problems, they couldn't keep the ice frozen, not rough seas.

And what a difference a week makes - we were on B2B on the 1/2 and 1/9. The 1/2 (western) was smooth as silk, but the 1/9 (eastern) had a lot of rocking and rolling going on. It wasn't so much rough seas (you could barely see waves), but there was a current straight across the beam that made the ship rock a lot.

The ice show, Oasis of Dreams and Come Fly With Me (I think it was that one) were all cancelled on certain nights because it was too dangerous for the performers due to a lot of movement. They even cancelled the Pinnacle group photo at the welcome back party because they were afraid some of us might fall on the Aquatheatre stage (to massive applause, no doubt:p).

Now, the movement wasn't nearly as pronounced as it would have been on a less massive ship. We were able to dock in St. Maarten without much ado and didn't feel a lot of movement, but Celebrity Reflection was bobbing like a cork and Carnival Dream left the pier shortly after arriving.

I'm prone to seasickness, but didn't feel the need to take anything, so I would say bring your favorite remedy and hope that you don't need it.:)

I have been on 29 cruises, from smaller HA and Carnival ships to Oasis class ships. The most sick I have ever been, that put me on Dramamine for the morning that the workers were handing out like candy, was on an oasis class ship. But there were 10 foot swells, it was October, and we were in a tropical storm. I can't imagine how bad it would have been in a smaller ship. That being said I don't think it's a problem like that as much when you're not sailing in hurricane season

And what a difference a week makes - we were on B2B on the 1/2 and 1/9. The 1/2 (western) was smooth as silk, but the 1/9 (eastern) had a lot of rocking and rolling going on. It wasn't so much rough seas (you could barely see waves), but there was a current straight across the beam that made the ship rock a lot.

The ice show, Oasis of Dreams and Come Fly With Me (I think it was that one) were all cancelled on certain nights because it was too dangerous for the performers due to a lot of movement. They even cancelled the Pinnacle group photo at the welcome back party because they were afraid some of us might fall on the Aquatheatre stage (to massive applause, no doubt:p).

Now, the movement wasn't nearly as pronounced as it would have been on a less massive ship. We were able to dock in St. Maarten without much ado and didn't feel a lot of movement, but Celebrity Reflection was bobbing like a cork and Carnival Dream left the pier shortly after arriving.

I'm prone to seasickness, but didn't feel the need to take anything, so I would say bring your favorite remedy and hope that you don't need it.:)

Glad we were on week #1. Sharing a picture of the Pinnacle groupImageUploadedByForums1453201417.664621.jpg.b01f88d68f8cd085a5532dedcbd80654.jpg

Again you have no clue as to what you are talking about , do you???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

One thing many people don't realize is that there actually isn't really a condition of "sea sickness".

It's really motion sickness.

Most people who have significant motion sickness symptoms experience them in planes, trains, automobiles, and on ships. These are essentially the same condition. It is not unusual that if one thing triggers symptoms, more than one can as well.

Ginger pills, Dramamine, and other things can be successfully used for those who suffer from motion sickness.

You;re right ... what I meant to say was "shallow draft" for a ship of that height ...

Well, again that's not completely accurate when describing how a ship moves. Cruise ships generally have a large metacentric height (the distance between the center of buoyancy and the center of gravity), which causes the ship to have great initial resistance to rolling, but when rolling starts, it tends to be a quick, snappy roll, hence the use of stabilizers. Other ships, like tankers, have small metacentric heights, which does not provide initial resistance to roll, so the ship will start rolling in lesser seas, but the rolls will be slow and there will sometimes be a hesitation before the ship rights itself.

As far as draft vs height, you can have a very beamy (wide) ship with a relatively shallow draft and get as much stability as a narrow, deeper draft ship.

Now, the cruise ship will have much more "windage" or surface area presented to the wind than other ships, but wind does not cause vessel motion, it will only cause the ship to heel or lean away from the wind, at a steady angle, that is corrected through moving ballast in "anti-roll" tanks.

No matter how big or small the ship is, one or many could suffer from sea sickness/motion sickness.

Its always best to be prepared by packing over the counter meds to help prevent or alleviate the motion sickness....you could also call your physician and ask them to call in a script for the patches that go behind the ear...

None of the ships are immune to the effects of rough seas. On the mega-ships, you may barely notice the motion, if at all, in normal seas, and the motion will likely be less in rough seas than on a smaller ship, but it is certainly not eliminated.

hi

my husband and I have just come back from the caneries 16/1/2016 after 2 weeks. on our sail out of Southampton on the 2.1/2016 the seas were very rough, in fact we went thro a force 12 storm, (ACCORDING TO OUR CAPTAIN. there was cutlery and glasses sliding of the tables, and one woman fell over still in her seat. I was not ill, and neither was my husband, but I must admit I was a bit scared during the night. also it was our first cruise, which we definitely enjoyed, and it most certainly has not put us off cruiseing. in fact, right now I am browsing for the Caribbean for next year, as it will be our 70th and also our golden wedding.

Put away the angst people...you're scaring folks...:)

Those soon to cruise Oasis will probably never notice any significant movement. Just be prepared to go to the clinic for your free meclizine if you do.

Having said that....the ocean is the ocean. But we have only experienced really rough seas (and that is always relative) once in 22 cruises.

Edited by BecciBoo

Depending on sea conditions, you can have an extremely smooth trip or a rocky one, it goes with being on the ocean. Compare the size of the largest ship against the volume of water underneath and around, ships will lose. We don't worry about some movement, makes the cruise enjoying, we concentrate more on the ports we will see and new friends we will meet. We experienced gale force winds coming out of Wellington in March of 2014 with up to 25 foot waves and the Radiance of the Seas handled it beautifully. Of course the storm came in behind us as we were leaving port so not a direct hit from the side.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

We were on a cruise many years ago that had 30 foot seas and that was the only time that I felt sick, but then the majority of the ship, including staff, were sick.

Since then I always bring Bonine just in case...... :D

Oh and BTW we have been on Oasis and Allure and I didn't feel like we were on a ship for either one.

Keep in mind that the Diving Show and the Ice Show are specific situations that are VERY susceptible to movement.

Think about it... can the average person jump a triple axel and land it safely in a rink on dry land? Of course not -- it's a very specialized skill. Now, how about doing the same thing on a MOVING SHEET OF ICE in the middle of an ocean? It doesn't take much movement at all to make a specialized skill a very dangerous one.

Ditto with the high dives performed in the aqua show.... what if the pool you were diving into MOVED as you took flight? Or what if high winds pushed you off course on the way down?

Just because shows are cancelled for the safety of the performers does NOT mean that you'll be bouncing off the walls as you walk the halls and puking over the side of every railing. :rolleyes: