Warning for cruise ships

odysee

Don yes it is up to the individual ;however ,living on the edge or next to fire one can get hurt .Imo ,best to side on caution . Taking a cruise closer to the US is by far safer than in the med where ISIS or other terrorist groups remain much closer

What makes you think that the US is immune to an attack by Isis or any other terrorist group. If nothing else 911 was a wake up call.

Well there is some comfort in this source being on the same level as the National Inquirer.

Until much more credible information is given, we need to treat this as the junk it is. That is not to say that this cannot be conceivable, but so are many other predictions, hypotheses, guesses, hunches, omens and conjectures.

If you listen to them all, you have a very limited quality of life.

Can anyone find any other much more reputable source that can make this more credible to happen in the present?

There are calculated risks in life's walk . Being that said we see cruising closer to US shores safer than cruising in the med ;which is far closer to the terrorists . Definition is degree of safety ;)

We do not plan on not cruising ;however ,we do make decisions on the side of safety . ;)

It's my observation that certain media outlets, when faced with the prospect of a slow news week, decide to pull out a story on how "SCARY" cruising is: Pirates, Noro, long buffet lines, political unrest -- doesn't matter -- as long as it sells papers or fills air-time. :rolleyes:

It's the most ill-informed, racist, homophobic rag in the UK. I refuse to have it in the house, let alone read the damn thing.

Could not agree more! Pay no attention to it whatsoever and I have 2 Eastern Med cruises coming up this year.

Good post, but just made me wonder...can you take your 'weapon' on board with a concealed permission. Being from Canada, didn't even think that one of my cruise mates might take issue with me at the dining room table if I didn't agree with their opinion. During one cruise, we did have a very ornery table mate who went off like a firecracker when someone disagreed with them.

Firearms are on the prohibited items list.

I'm sorry that's unfair to children ;)

They have probably mis reported the entire thing knowing them :(

You took the words right out of my mouth. You really have to know the Daily Mail to take this all with a pinch of salt. They have an agenda so try not to be taken in by all the propaganda and freaked out by it.

I read that, too. I had to laugh at a link embedded within the article that was titled 'Why do people keep falling overboard while on a cruise?'. While the terror threat is quite real and we need to remain vigilant, I don't really think a lot of people are going overboard on most cruises....so a bit sensationalized. Zika is also in the news daily, making it sound like cruising is just a death sentence. Either way, looks like being at work, a theater or school is probably more dangerous than being on a cruise ship.

I am glad to see cruise lines change their itineraries when they feel there is a threat in specific oceans and / ports. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to those onboard, but realistically, we're probably better off as I don't think these decisions are made lightly. I know my port of Belize was canceled on one of my cruises, not sure if that makes a lot of sense but hopefully it was removed out of an abundance of caution.

We had friends that were on a cruise that went through the Red Sea, into the Indian ocean, on its way to India and Singapore. They said because of Somali Pirates that ship's outside light were off at night and that "navy seals" were on board (probably private security guys) and armed.

I wonder if Med cruises have armed security onboard?

Good post, but just made me wonder...can you take your 'weapon' on board with a concealed permission. Being from Canada, didn't even think that one of my cruise mates might take issue with me at the dining room table if I didn't agree with their opinion. During one cruise, we did have a very ornery table mate who went off like a firecracker when someone disagreed with them.

No average person is allowed to bring a gun onboard so have no worries. Jeez - they won't even let you bring on a wine bottle opener if it has the tiny little foil cutter on it.

You took the words right out of my mouth. You really have to know the Daily Mail to take this all with a pinch of salt. They have an agenda so try not to be taken in by all the propaganda and freaked out by it.

And some times the Generals and Admirals who make these comments are keen to secure extra resource. You don't do that by playing down a problem.

Not sure why some folks feel the need to knock the Daily Mail for just reporting what the Vice Admiral has said. There are various other reports of the same speech and some travel organisations have now responded to the points he made:

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2020510

If you read through the report, the speech was made on board a Spanish NATO ship and he was making the point that NATO must not get hustled out of eastern Mediterranean water space. The threat to cruise ships was not the point of the speech, but used to illustrate possible future threats.

Cruise lines will be well aware of the threats their ships may face in any part of the world and will be doing all that they can to keep their passengers safe. No-one knows where or what will be attacked next, and cruise ships are no exception. We cannot expect our governments and security organisations to tell us what measure they have in place and how they would respond to different types of attack, but I'm happy that the Vice Admiral is making sure our present level of protection is maintained.

A report from the Daily Mail is usually about as educated an opinion as something written by a child.

Children usually have better editing skills than this rag. I have to say it's my guilty pleasure though every morning, lol.

We had friends that were on a cruise that went through the Red Sea, into the Indian ocean, on its way to India and Singapore. They said because of Somali Pirates that ship's outside light were off at night and that "navy seals" were on board (probably private security guys) and armed.

Our cruise on that route several years ago did take those same precautions. Our security guys (I caught a brief glimpse) were retired British special forces. The territory might need to be expanded....

Edited by HokiePoq

Firearms are on the prohibitedhttp://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif items list.

You're right but a a few years ago Celebrity had hand grenades on the prohibited list but have since removed them, just a little concerned.

Edited by dkjretired

Our cruise on that route several years ago did take those same precautions. Our security guys (I caught a brief glimpse) were retired British special forces. The territory might need to be expanded....

There is probably far more security than we know ----- have to say that Israel is probably the safest place to be as they are very aware there and are used to living with a threat.

You're right but a a few years ago Celebrity had hand grenades on the prohibited list but have since removed them, just a little concerned.

I think the following covers it:

"In no event shall any Passenger bring on board the Vessel or check-in, or in connection with the Land Tour, any illegal controlled substances, fireworks, live animals (except under the terms of Section 12.d below), weapons, firearms, explosives or other hazardous materials, or any other items prohibited by applicable law or Carrier policy. Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate."

I think the following covers it:

"In no event shall any Passenger bring on board the Vessel or check-in, or in connection with the Land Tour, any illegal controlled substances, fireworks, live animals (except under the terms of Section 12.d below), weapons, firearms, explosives or other hazardous materials, or any other items prohibited by applicable law or Carrier policy. Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate."

It was in jest, I always thought it was rather silly for them to specify not to bring your hand grenades. Wife and I always had a conversation before the cruise whether we would take them to formal night or not.

There are armed security officers on every Celebrity ship. They deal with all sorts of issues from theft, drugs and everything you would expect from a group of several thousand people.

There are armed security officers on every Celebrity ship. They deal with all sorts of issues from theft, drugs and everything you would expect from a group of several thousand people.

How does that work in countries where people aren't allowed to carry arms. Private security company's can't arm their staff in the UK and very few police are armed (and not for routine policing matters like theft, drugs - unless there is believed to be a specific risk)

We live 20 minutes from the U.S. Capital. D.C. is considered to be a major target so we are used to the threat of terrorism. Our chances of being killed by a drunk driver or a creep with a gun are much greater than be harmed by a terrorist. We shouldn't let fear prevent us from living our lives to the fullest.

While on a Windstar cruise, we chatted with the captain after sailing thru the Straights of Gibraltar. His opinion was that the Straights were some of the World's most dangerous waters to sail because of the number of small boats in the area who could attack with little warning in the narrow straight. That did not prevent us from sailing thru them again two years later.