Rip off visas on princess

Some one just got of an RCL (Mariner) cruise and their cost for the visa was USD6 for Vietnam. Princess are just taking advantage of their passengers to up the charges and another way to get extra $$$ from their passengers- go figure

Your link is showing information about Visa on Arrival, not Visa-free.

The point of my link was not concerning visas particularly but was in response to how I received info about ports of entry which can issue Visa on arrival in particular Benoa for cruise ships visiting Bali.

Looking at the link there have been a number of changes since that was published with a significant number of countries added to the visa free list for tourists.

When one is discussing visa requirements on forums like this too many people take what is written as responses to questions as gospel but in reality if one has a question about visas, immigration and the like one should go to the only reliable source to get the information and that is the appropriate authorities for the country being visited and that is often done via that country's official website or embassy.

On forums such as this there are all sorts of "experts" some of whom are anything but.

Its the crew who do all the passport collecting sorting and checking aginst passenger lists. Indonesian immigration just stamp them.

And come on board for stamping, plus their brekkie and a show bag full of Princess 'goodies.' Like customs/immigration officials in most countries, perk of the job.

Edited by NSWP

And come on board for stamping, plus their brekkie and a show bag full of Princess 'goodies.' Like customs/immigration officials in most countries, perk of the job.

Isn't it strange that whenever "Officials" come on board and head for the bridge they seem to always go via the buffet...:D:D

...must be a shortcut...;);)

Dear Yvonne,

British citizen are free to enter Indonesia without visa for 30 days, and it is in effect nation-wide.

Kind regards

GARUDA BIRU

Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia Melbourne

Isn't it strange that whenever "Officials" come on board and head for the bridge they seem to always go via the buffet...:D:D

I think you are on QM2 soon? Check out the Army of Chinese Officials that embark in Kota Kinabalu!

There has been some chat about this on a FB site.

Apparently some people are seeing a quoted price of AU $60 for some cruises. I see US $60 for our upcoming Golden cruise.

I'm hope someone will post a pic of the relevant section of their travel summary showing the price in AUD.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I have no idea how to post a picture of it, but I just checked the Travel Summary for my cruise next month and it says US$60. There are four of us, so ouch!

So your one is the same as this?

Indonesian%20Visa%20Cost%20April%202016_zpsgvlu6ycj.jpg

What cruise are you doing?

Yes it is. Sun Princess Fremantle to Singapore, so I was surprised to see anything come up in USD.

When we did the same cruise on Dawn last year the visa was quoted in USD, UD $35 though.

I'm just hoping I can get evidence of an AU $60 charge, then I can have a go at Princess.

I think you are on QM2 soon? Check out the Army of Chinese Officials that embark in Kota Kinabalu!

Unfortunately I cannot do that cruise, but I passed that amazing deal onto 2 lots of friends and they are doing it . One group , AK to HK and the other Syd to Sing.

I can just imagine the entourage of officials that will board.

They have both obtained visas from the Chinese office here in AK , which I hear was a performance in itself..

There has been some chat about this on a FB site.

Apparently some people are seeing a quoted price of AU $60 for some cruises. I see US $60 for our upcoming Golden cruise.

I'm hope someone will post a pic of the relevant section of their travel summary showing the price in AUD.

Mine is $60 US on Diamond Princess Perth to Singapore. Probably cause the onboard currency in USD.

Unfortunately I cannot do that cruise, but I passed that amazing deal onto 2 lots of friends and they are doing it . One group , AK to HK and the other Syd to Sing.

I can just imagine the entourage of officials that will board.

They have both obtained visas from the Chinese office here in AK , which I hear was a performance in itself..

The most interesting group of officials was the Russian one in Petropolovsk

There were appros 20 came one board and asked immediately for their breakfast Then thy all stood and watched two officials 'stamp' half of the passports Deliberately making it difficult to go ashore (due to the Georgia battle at the time)

We got off and had a great time with the locals who wanted u to visit and gave us free vodka and caviar

Indeed David, no doubt checking out the food safety standards at the Horizon Court, the full Monty they have. They like the Lattes and the pastries at the Princess Cruise ships International Cafes too.

In these poor countries the officials must really look forward to coming on board for a decent feed, not forgetting the T shirt.

Edited by NSWP

Well, the FB discussion was interesting. Those that avowed their visa fee was in AUD had a closer look and, oops, it's USD.

One person there has contacted Princess with this result:

"I have just had it confirmed to me from Princess cruises that they are charging a $30 handling fee for the Indonesian visas."

$25 actually but near enough. Look, I wouldn't quibble if Princess charged a $5 handling fee. On Sun/Sea/Dawn that would bring in roughly $10,000, and on Golden/Diamond at least $13,000, which should more than adequately cover their costs of having the Indonesian authorities on board to process them. But $50,000 to $65,000+ is excessive.

Chinese immigration embarking in Kota Kinabalu. Everyone had already obtained the visa before embarking. This was the uniformed inspection group. I think six all up onboard for five nights

Last year on a cruise to Japan the Chinese officials came aboard at Kota Kinabalu, but then we couldn't get into the port of Shanghai because of fog. The officials had to be disembarked onto a small boat to go ashore.

I believe that Indonesian officials also come aboard at the previous port.

As you mention they are accommodated in passenger cabins for their time on board. They all leave with bags and bags of alcohol. I was told that it isn't given to them by the cruiseline, they pay for it, but obviously much less than they would in their own country.

E Mail from Indonesia Embassy stated that British passport holders are exempt from visa fee when visiting on cruise for day.

Bonbon willy.

It would be great if you could confirm with us whether this was exempt from having to get a Visa on Arrival (VOA) into a seaport such as Benoa or Lombok.

Edited by Tranquility Base

A bit related, but also tangential.

When on our Quantum cruise, the first officer said that the Chinese pilot was required by the Chinese to stay on the whole cruise even though they weren't involved anywhere else except Shanghai. They also controlled the ship in Shanghai rather than the captain, which is a no-no elsewhere.

Nice work if you can get it!