Tell me about your favorite diamond perks

APDMOM

We are trying to decide if we want to switch from Norwegian Epic to Freedom of the Seas next spring break. We like sailing out of Port Canaveral (Epic), but if we switch to Freedom (Miami), we will take an 8 day cruise and reach diamond by the end of that sailing.

So, please tell me about your favorite diamond perks so that we can decide if it is worth the drive for us :)

We are trying to decide if we want to switch from Norwegian Epic to Freedom of the Seas next spring break. We like sailing out of Port Canaveral (Epic), but if we switch to Freedom (Miami), we will take an 8 day cruise and reach diamond by the end of that sailing.

So, please tell me about your favorite diamond perks so that we can decide if it is worth the drive for us :)

Freedom is out of Ft Lauderdale

Being Diamond gets you a better balcony discount (as well as other perks) and access to the diamond lounge where you'll get free drinks from 4:30 until 8PM. Also you will receive 3 free drinks loaded on your seapass cards to use at any bar except dining room to use during same hrs.

Edited by SeaUs

Thanks for the tips so far! I did not realize the balcony discount is higher than the $100 we get now. That is definitely a great perk!

Yes, I also realize we will not enjoy the diamond perks on that cruise, but we can catch diamond status... we will need 8 points at that time, which makes this 8-day itinerary even more attractive. :)

Is there a place on RCI website that shows the details about diamond benefits? I do not see the exact balcony discounts and drinks offered at night. All I find is the list of benefits that says "nightly VIP event", etc.

Is this info from FAQ's outdated? I am wondering what other details I am missing...

What is the Nightly Diamond VIP Event for Diamond members for ships without a Diamond Lounge?

A: Exclusive Nightly Diamond VIP Event will take place from approximately 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm (may vary by ship and itinerary) in a bar or lounge on every ship. This event will be announced by your Loyalty Ambassador onboard in the Welcome letter to be placed in your stateroom on the first day of your cruise vacation. We will offer complimentary wine, champagne (sparkling wine) and soda fountain drinks and a 'happy hour' discount of 25 percent off beer and liquor. There is a limit of one drink per member to be served at one time.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=3836&faqSubjectId=340&faqSubjectName=Crown+%26+Anchor+Society&faqType=faq

Is there a place on RCI website that shows the details about diamond benefits? I do not see the exact balcony discounts and drinks offered at night. All I find is the list of benefits that says "nightly VIP event", etc.

Is this info from FAQ's outdated? I am wondering what other details I am missing...

What is the Nightly Diamond VIP Event for Diamond members for ships without a Diamond Lounge?

A: Exclusive Nightly Diamond VIP Event will take place from approximately 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm (may vary by ship and itinerary) in a bar or lounge on every ship. This event will be announced by your Loyalty Ambassador onboard in the Welcome letter to be placed in your stateroom on the first day of your cruise vacation. We will offer complimentary wine, champagne (sparkling wine) and soda fountain drinks and a 'happy hour' discount of 25 percent off beer and liquor. There is a limit of one drink per member to be served at one time.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=3836&faqSubjectId=340&faqSubjectName=Crown+%26+Anchor+Society&faqType=faq

Balcony discounts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2015457

That quote from the website is way out of date. There is no charge for basic mixed drinks in the Diamond lounge. And on most ships you can also get cosmos, lemon drops, bloody marys and usually margaritas(made from mix) and chocolate martinis. This does vary by ship.

Loyalty has tangible rewards. Our top 3 diamond discounts are

1) Balcony discount - value: $225

2) 3 (or more, if you stay in DL vs using loaded coupons) free drinks per person per night - value $420 (3 @ $10x2x7nights)

3) One free photo per person - value $45.98

Those are our favorites too. :)

Although I guess if you are going on the Epic you will have 3 free drinks whenever you want them. (Perk from NCL) But you will be on the ugliest ship at sea :D Something to think about...:rolleyes:

LOL! I told my DH the day we booked that I could not believe we booked the ugly ship. However, at the time it was the best deal.

Thanks to everyone for your input! I put a call in to our TA to switch us over. I did not know about these extra perks, or the details. I guess they do not advertise it clearly on the Royal website, so I got the best answers here at CC, as usual. My favorite will probably be the specialty coffee (and maybe an evening sparkling wine or two). :D We may not reap the balcony discount for a while, as we plan on booking more RC cruises before we are eligible for the $225. I hope the new itineraries release with good prices!

Freedom is out of Ft Lauderdale

Being Diamond gets you a better balcony discount (as well as other perks) and access to the diamond lounge where you'll get free drinks from 4:30 until 8PM. Also you will receive 3 free drinks loaded on your seapass cards to use at any bar except dining room to use during same hrs.

FOS is currently out of Port Canaveral/Orlando. It moves to Port Everglades/FLL November 5th.