Would You Take 2nd Best Rather Than Not Cruise At All?

babs135

Let me try and explain. At the moment due to both financial and other reasons we are not able to book anything :( however I am tracking two similar cruises for December. Hopefully everything will be sorted out by then and we can actually book something.

And here is the reason for the heading. Both of us prefer one cruise more than the other, but naturally 'the other' is considerably cheaper and would probably be the one we would book. But would we be happy, knowing that we really would rather be on another cruise and should we just cut our losses and say that this year is a cruise-less year (Nooooo).

Having said all of that, I know we would have a great time regardless of which cruise we chose, it's just the thought that in the back of our minds we really would have preferred the other one.

Why is life suddenly complicated :eek:

I agree....would always rather be on a cruise than not! I remember feeling like you several years ago. I swore that I would NEVER cruise on a certain line but things happen and the line cruises out of our home port so we bit the bullet and booked. We had a great time. Obviously my worst fears did not come true as we have sailed the line 5 timers since.

But it sounds like you have already answered your own question when you say that you know that you will have a great cruise whichever line you chose because that's the kind of people you are.

I would take the 2nd choice. I just did it. Let me explain. I want to go to St Petersburg and have wanted to go for years. Well this year we found a cruise that was just perfect for us. I booked it. Then I started my research on the port. As I got into the deeper information I found out that the one Palace on my list of "must see" is closed until 2018. I couldn't believe it. I was so upset. Anyway as dh and I talked it over it seems there was another cruise about the same price and dh wants to see Rome. (I am not interested at all) After seeing how excited he is at seeing Rome and the other ports we switched ships and are now doing the Western Med instead of the Baltics. We are going to have a great time, and you know what 2018 isn't that far off and I can wait a couple more years to see St. Petersburg.

I say go with second best.

BTW you never know some last minute deal may come along and you may be surprised by what you will be able to afford.

We would try for a late booking at a bargain price on our first choice. This is what we usually do. As a backup we would watch our number two choice as well. We usually book based on value.

But...we are not you.

Go with your gut. Have a good time no matter what you decide.

Theoretically, I am always taking second best...Because although I would love to sail Silversea or Crystal, Seabourn, Windstar...I can only afford Carnival and other lines when there are real bargains. And I am a bargain hunter. I have booked late, 5-6 weeks out on a gty and got great prices. So, I am not particular about cabin type or location. I have never got my moneys worth out of a balcony. EM

One year we had the choice to take a cruise to Norway

We found if we took an inside cabin we could add the Baltic as well

At the time we did not think we would get to cruise very often & our $$ exchange rate was very high at the time

We just bite the bullet (as they say) took a very small inside cabin & had a great cruise except for DH getting deathly ill for 4 days

If you can afford it go for it ..maybe take a cheaper cabin or spend less onboard, DIY excursions instead of the ship's tours

Do the one that ticks the most boxes for you

life has an expiry date

Let me try and explain. At the moment due to both financial and other reasons we are not able to book anything :( however I am tracking two similar cruises for December. Hopefully everything will be sorted out by then and we can actually book something.

And here is the reason for the heading. Both of us prefer one cruise more than the other, but naturally 'the other' is considerably cheaper and would probably be the one we would book. But would we be happy, knowing that we really would rather be on another cruise and should we just cut our losses and say that this year is a cruise-less year (Nooooo).

Having said all of that, I know we would have a great time regardless of which cruise we chose, it's just the thought that in the back of our minds we really would have preferred the other one.

Why is life suddenly complicated :eek:

For me, it would depend partly on what the two choices are. Which cruise lines? What are the itineraries? Is your "second choice" a cruise line you've never been on before, and you have some doubts about? If you opt not to go on a cruise at all, what would your Plan C be? If you go with cruise "B", don't look at it as settling for second best, but rather as an opportunity to try something different and still have a fun vacation.

I would probably take a land based holiday rather than a cruise which wasn't really what I wanted.

Same here. I would stay at home if I couldn't finance the trip I wanted. We have done trips that we organized ourselves to places we could well afford and in which we were interested.

One time we had to accept an ocean view cabin with two tiny port holes. It was on the second floor, a floor that was divided between a few passenger rooms and all the rest was for the crew. I thought I would hate it, but Hubby wanted to go.

Long story short...I had so much fun on that cruise. We loved the captain of the ship. He was so funny amd kept folks laughing every day. We went on some fun excursions. Everything just seemed to go really well. I am so glad I didn't refuse to take that unattractive cabin. It really mattered very little to our enjoyment of the cruise.

One time we had to accept an ocean view cabin with two tiny port holes. It was on the second floor, a floor that was divided between a few passenger rooms and all the rest was for the crew.

Welcome to my world. :D

But it beats staying home. ;)

JB :)

Of course, only you can decide that for yourself but most of the time when I find I 'settled' for something that I really was not enthused about, I wasn't thrilled with my decision.

Most of us have a minimum that will satisfy our most important needs for a totally discretionary purchase. If what we spend any money on does not meet that minimum standard, it is often wasted money.

JMO....

Think Insides! As a long time divorcee paying her own way, it works for me. I would rather be in the basement of Celebrity than a suite on CCL .I find the pricing on most cruises this season great. And they are really coming down in last few weeks as date for final payments come..Except maybe Alaska, which I think cruisers perceive as a safer area.