Staying Organized in Cabin

bankerbabe

So, months ago when we booked our upcoming cruise we decided to save some money and book all four of us in a mini-suite instead of getting a second cabin for the kids. As the cruise quickly approaches, I'm starting to wonder about the wisdom of having done this but it's too late to rectify now even if I wanted to.

We are a family of four: mom and dad, 20 year old son, and 15 year old daughter.

I thought it might be fun to gather your ideas of how to keep four people organized in the cabin.

I plan to bring magnets to stick things on the wall, magnetic clips to be exact. I also plan to bring the over-door shoe organizer thing, as it's come in handy on a lot of vacations. I pack using packing cubes for myself and DD likes to use them too.

Any other great ideas?

Thanks!

Are you sure it is too late? No cabins available anywhere?

Once done with that...

1) I would get some shoe organizers to hang in the closet (maybe one for each person?). Figure out a way to hang them on a hanger rather than the closet rod and put all small stuff in the pockets.

2) There are some collapsible baskets around somewhere (Amazon?), I saw them mentioned on CC. You should be able to get more on each closet shelf with those. One basket per person on the shelf in the bathroom for the usual supplies.

3) Store the suitcases under the bed (as many as will fit) and keep some things in them.

4) Bring fewer clothes than normal. The laundromat is going to be your friend. We just did a 34 day cruise with 2 not very big suitcases and 1 carry-on. We could have done it with 1 suitcase, but I always pack too much, even when I am trying to cut down.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.:D

Let the kids know they will each get 1 shelf and 1 or 2 drawers. Have them "budget" the items that they bring to fit into those spaces. Use your under bed luggage to hold dirty clothes. You can also purchase pop up hampers at the Dollar Store.

In the closet, hang multiple items on one hanger. I used to organize my mom (she needed a little assistance) by hanging her pants, top, sweater, even her undergarments on one hanger. This cut down on both closet space and shelf space. I would put together several outfits at a time so she could select the whole outfit without trying to find all the pieces and parts. I clipped the socks on the pants clips.

If you or your daughter wear make-up, you may want to invest in an all inclusive kit. That way you only have one or two pieces and you can close the lid and tuck it away on the shelf below the sink.

You may want to bring a collaspable shower caddy. When all of you want to shower for formal night-- maybe the guys can head to the gym for a their shower. They can carry any extra items in a caddy. The caddy can also be stored on the bottom shelf in the bathroom.

Glad you are all in a mini suite, at least the kids won't BOTH be in bunk beds.

Having a 20 and 15 year old sounds crowded to me, but I can understand the desire to say a bit and have everyone together in the room. It sounds like you will mostly be sleeping in your cabins, and doing nothing else there. We currently cruise with both our boys in the room, but they are 12 and 8.

Hopefully you will be on a ship that has a good spa to use the showers in (I was crushed when the Grand did not have showers in the Spa to use unless you were in a treatment room):eek:

Organization, we put the luggage under the bed and fit them into each other, so 2-3 suit cases take up the space of the larges one.

Two women, well, try to bring as few shoes as you can. I myself take 2 flip flops (in case one breaks, I've had that happen before), one pair of tennis shoes, nice dress shoes and Tom's. I find it so difficult to coordinate the shoes with outfits, but I do my best to mix and match outfits at home before I pack so I take minimal clothes. Luckily my husband and the boys don't take as much.

We put all our dirty clothes in one laundry bag hanging from the closet.

Having some many people in the room, I don't know if you may want to consider doing laundry on board. It takes a chunk of time (30 wash, 60 dry) and there can be lines. Some people like to do it, some don't because they are on vacation. I've heard mini suites have good storage space, but I've not been in one (we are usually in an inside cabin!:eek:)

Good luck coordinating and organizing. I'm sure you will have an amazing cruise!!:)

So, months ago when we booked our upcoming cruise we decided to save some money and book all four of us in a mini-suite instead of getting a second cabin for the kids. As the cruise quickly approaches, I'm starting to wonder about the wisdom of having done this but it's too late to rectify now even if I wanted to.

We are a family of four: mom and dad, 20 year old son, and 15 year old daughter.

I thought it might be fun to gather your ideas of how to keep four people organized in the cabin.

I plan to bring magnets to stick things on the wall, magnetic clips to be exact. I also plan to bring the over-door shoe organizer thing, as it's come in handy on a lot of vacations. I pack using packing cubes for myself and DD likes to use them too.

Any other great ideas?

Thanks!

Mini suites have lots of storage space. If each person has a designated area for their stuff it will help a lot. Even with two people in a cabin, if stuff is scatter all over you can't stay organized.

We are over packers, my DH is the worse... so that is why I insist on designated areas. so that when my DH has lost I can help him find it.

I think storage is the least of your issues, using the small bathroom on some sort of routine may be your biggest challenge. I wish I had a suggestion for you, maybe someone else has some idea in this regard.

Hope you have a great cruise.

I am glad you are in a mini suite since it is far more comfortable.

Move the life jackets to one side of the top shelf. I either bring boxes from Costco (start collecting) for the top shelf. I am too short to see what goes up there and never comes down. Then I discard the boxes at the end of the trip. You can use them to organize your luggage too.

Have one designated power cord for your devices (hopefully everyone has the same power cord). Plug it in behind the television and leave it hanging out. Take turns charging. Bring extra rechargeable power supplies. My iPhone doesn't "last" all day when I am taking pictures.

Download the Princess Messenger APP before you board the ship. You will be able to message for free to stay connected.

A mini-suite has a few extra spaces, but I still believe it is going to be cramp. You didn't say which ship/which itinerary. I would have chosen The Grand or The Caribbean Window Suites for about the same price as a mini.

Utilize the shelf under the sink. I love collapsible boxes.

I am the one that uses magnetic hooks from Harbor Freight and a shower curtain to create a privacy area for changing, reading when every one goes to sleep, etc. I usually "mount" it in the hallway separating the closet from the bedroom.

I bring a 3-shelf unit that hangs from the closet rod. But I think you are already going to be short closet space. You will be able to get as many hangers as you will need.

Do not store anything on the balcony.

I bought. from Walmart, a collapsible container. The refrigerator isn't very deep. Good to hold snacks. Bring lots of different size baggies. You can use one to "wash" clothes. Bring clothes pins.

Assign everyone a color (water bottle/pens/highlighters, etc).

Lots more ideas will be posted. Good luck.

Glad you are all in a mini suite, at least the kids won't BOTH be in bunk beds.

Having a 20 and 15 year old sounds crowded to me, but I can understand the desire to say a bit and have everyone together in the room. It sounds like you will mostly be sleeping in your cabins, and doing nothing else there. We currently cruise with both our boys in the room, but they are 12 and 8.

Hopefully you will be on a ship that has a good spa to use the showers in (I was crushed when the Grand did not have showers in the Spa to use unless you were in a treatment room):eek:

Organization, we put the luggage under the bed and fit them into each other, so 2-3 suit cases take up the space of the larges one.

Two women, well, try to bring as few shoes as you can. I myself take 2 flip flops (in case one breaks, I've had that happen before), one pair of tennis shoes, nice dress shoes and Tom's. I find it so difficult to coordinate the shoes with outfits, but I do my best to mix and match outfits at home before I pack so I take minimal clothes. Luckily my husband and the boys don't take as much.

We put all our dirty clothes in one laundry bag hanging from the closet.

Having some many people in the room, I don't know if you may want to consider doing laundry on board. It takes a chunk of time (30 wash, 60 dry) and there can be lines. Some people like to do it, some don't because they are on vacation. I've heard mini suites have good storage space, but I've not been in one (we are usually in an inside cabin!:eek:)

Good luck coordinating and organizing. I'm sure you will have an amazing cruise!!:)

THANK YOU! I wanted to know how much time to allow for a load of washing from start to finish, you've provided the information. :D

Can either nest your luggage or use it as an extra drawer. We keep things we will use rarely in our luggage, ie snorkel gear.

We travel with three in a mini. It's a tight fit but we manage.

For the fold out couch, request a foam topper. The fold out Sis had was thinner than our camping pads (don't remember which ship). Also request a foam topper for the bunk My mattress on the Golden was ticked with plastic price tag barbs. The bunk was more comfortable than the fold out.

there are plenty of shelves and drawers-if everyone has their own designated drawers/ shelves and packing cubes you should have no trouble staying organized. Packing cubes are amazing for staying organized- in particular if everyone has their own color cubes. :)

Bring some wire hangers to hang clothes or

ask for some.

The wooden ones they have take up so

much room and you have four people hanging

clothes.

The Mini does have some extra storage which

is nice but you might need to keep some stuff

in the suitcases. Store your coats/jackets there

if you don't need them, take to much room in closet.

What's nice the balcony gives you more room too.

Can sit out there and have some space as others

get up/get ready ect.

Here's what we do. gut just drops it wherever, Mrs Gut comes along and puts it away. Easy that way.

My ex used to do that ... until I bundled all his stuff up, hid it in a box, and told him I'd thrown it all in the bin - and the bins had been emptied that day. I gave it back to him a week or so later and warned him if he left stuff all over the place again it really would go in the bin next time. :rolleyes: :D

Thank you all! We knew it was going to be tight, but the savings was just so much that we felt it was worth it. We are on the Royal, on Lido deck. The thought was that we would be so close to good public areas that we would spend more time there than in the cabin.

I love the suggestions. Thanks!

Thank you all! We knew it was going to be tight, but the savings was just so much that we felt it was worth it. We are on the Royal, on Lido deck. The thought was that we would be so close to good public areas that we would spend more time there than in the cabin.

You will be so close to open space on the Lido deck.

Mini suites have the extra space of the tub and more storage space under the sink. Bring clothes pins to hang wet suits from clothes line in tub.

We get plastic glasses from the pool area bar to store toothbrushes and paste and combs and brushes.

Get some command hooks and hang on inside of bathroom door and use to hang shoe storage rack with clear pockets and that should help with toiletries.

Also bring extra magnet holders that clip and use to hang up visors / sun hats on the cabin walls .

If we are doing and excursion put everything in beach bag ( or bag you might use) and hang it from the shelf near door with the kind of hook that is used to hang towels off golf bag. We do this the night before.

bring small flash lights to use in cabin at night, if you need to look for something while others are sleeping

have a great time..........we did this many moons ago with our two children........only with bunk beds..........wonderful experience.....timing is the key

Ask for extra hangers from your room steward as soon as you meet him/her. The closet area can hold a lot of hanging items, especially if you double up two items per hanger. They will bring you plastic ones, plenty of them. I also bring all my own hangers from my hanging stuff, then we have tons. I like to hang as much as possible to keep the wrinkles away.

Mini suite should have all kinds of nooks and drawers for storage. I think you'll be ok. For two of us, we didn't even use it all last time. And I pack A LOT! Like a lot, a lot. Have fun!

As long as you set the ground rules and organize everything upfront you will be fine. We had 3 adults and a 16 year old girl in an inside. We all agreed to stay organized and neat and we had no issues. You have way more space than we did!!

I have cruised with DH and DD (young adult) all in same cabin on a number of occasions; my advice is to:

a)use hanging sponge bags/toilet bags in the bathroom - I find mine enormously useful.

b)utilise the showers in the spa area when possible (on Celebrity I did this every night - packed my sponge bag up, put on my towelling robe and headed off for peace and tranquillity). I actually preferred this to cabin bathroom.

c)don't expect too much for the kids - if they are untidy at home........

Enjoy the family bonding time, it will be fun!

Add to my list, S hooks. They can be hung from the railing around the television. Larger ones can be hooked on to the closet rod. They work much better than magnetic hooks. If you have a Daiso (Japanese 99 cent store/but $1.50) near by, there are lots of cool items. Pick up a cheap white board/pen for notes. Take post it notes too.

I have collapsible "fabric" bins from Dollar Tree that we use to keep everyday items in one place. The mini-suites have shelving under the television area --where we keep most of our shoes. We also use e-bags to keep the shelving by the closet organized. In the bathroom there are small shelves in the wall adjacent to the sink top and a shelf underneath the sink area that would hold toilet bags /bins. We use hanging toilet bags (mine is LLBean) on the shower rail.

Great ideas. As a word of encouragement, let me say that one of our favorite family cruises was a last minute So Carib with 4 of us in an inside cabin. Our son and daughter were 12 and 14 at the time. It was tight, but we had a ball.

Having a mini-suite will make it so much easier.

Cheers

We usually take 2 large suitcases with us, and I empty them out and position them under the bed with their lids open. One is for shoes (makes more room in the closet), and the other is for dirty clothes. If I run out of room for dirty stuff, I use a trash bag under the bed too.

We often fit 4 in an inside cabin, and it takes a lot of organisation but it is do-able. So a suite (even a mini-suite) should be ample.

I have a set of three collapsible boxes from Ikea. They fold flat and take up no room in my luggage, then pop up and zip into storage boxes on the ship. The largest one is the same size as a sheet of paper; every sheet of paper that comes into the cabin goes into that. I use one for my makeup (kept on the desk because that is where I apply makeup) and the smallest is for my SO's miscellaneous items. He never actually puts anything into it (I do) but when he is looking for his stuff he knows where to look.