Journey Self Serve Laundry

Nova Scotia cruiser

We will be on Journey for 34 nights. Our cruise charter company information says there is a laundry available. Assuming we will also be entitled to free laundry. There has been mention 'extras' are dependent on the charter company? No way we can pack enough for this long without a fair bit of washing!!LOL!!! I could organise shore excursions - to the laundry???:)

Depending what level you are in the Azamara loyalty program, you may receive free laundry service. Otherwise there is a laundromat on board which will be operational at the end of April, in the interim, Azamara provided a free bag of laundry each cruise segment so I don't foresee a problem in your case.

Azamara always does right by their passengers.

We just got off the Journey on Tuesday and it was our best cruise ever....friendly passengers and staff that couldn't do enough to please you. Look out for Enroy in the Windows Cafe, he will make you the best coffee ever, tell him Peter and Cathy sent you, he will know us. Alina in the dining room is the best server, very hard working. Have Martin at the pool bar mix you a drink, excellent. So many talented and happy staff on this ship. I envy you being on board for so long.

Have cruised on both Journey And Quest and have taken our lives into our own hands ;),and used the laundry on both. A great thing to have when it was working properly and people were on their best behaviour!! But we also used the laundry service, for the simple reason that we were on holiday and we so didn't want to do it.

My memory tells me that we stuffed the laundry bag full and asked for a cold wash be used and no dryer either (Some delicate ladies tops were in there) Our clothes came back the next day, clean, folded and pressed beautifully, the same size they were before we sent them out, and only costing about $35.

To fit more in the laundry bag, we hand washed all our under garments and hung them on the now defunct washing line in the bathroom :confused:

A great value service :)

HI Bonnie, just out of interest, is there likely to be a working laundry (I'm only interested in the irons) after the Quest refit? Otherwise I'm happy to be outsourcing (and I'M ON HOLIDAYS FROM THE LAUNDRY TOO!) I could/would like to buy some of that 'wrinkle out' stuff, but I'm not sure what it's called by brand name or if it's in fact available in Australia. Thanks in advance.

In the States it's called Downy (the brand) Wrinkle Release.:)

So glad to hear you're onboard and having a great time!

And I'm with you, who wants to iron while on vacation??

You'd be surprised. One of our Roll Call members on a 2009 cruise made sure to have room in her luggage for spray starch (I offered to let her iron my clothes, but apparently it's not THAT therapeutic, lol). I saw another woman ironing every time I visited the laundry room on the most recent cruise (granted, I only did laundry three times, but there she was).

I don't iron on land unless it's absolutely necessary (usually to apply crystals to something blingy), so I suppose it could be a novelty onboard, but the W/D is enough.

The wash line in the bathroom needs to come back! I use it all the time. I have many garments that I do not want put in the dryer and really don't want to decorate my stateroom with them.

Doesn't hurt to keep asking.

At the "designer's" urging, electrical outlets on the desk in Journey's CC suites were placed on the far edge of the desk by the drapes so they're impossible to find or see. In the one picture we've seen of a redone CC suite on Quest, they are intelligently located on the wall just above the rear of the desktop.

So maybe the powers that be will listen to reason, as they sometimes have in the past.

[i've been told the clotheslines are secretly stashed somewhere on Journey.;)]

Edited by marinaro44

The wash line in the bathroom needs to come back! I use it all the time. I have many garments that I do not want put in the dryer and really don't want to decorate my stateroom with them.

Buy an elasticated line to put in the shower!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have used the Journey laundry on several cruises. I have also ised the self service laundry room. I prefer just sending the clothes to the laundry. I hate wasting time doing my own laundry. On Celebrity as elite plus I get 2 free bags per cruise. My spouse gets another 2 free bags. We never use all the coupons. There is no self service laundry room. If Azamara is truly amazing, they should ditch the laundry room and give away free laundry to all. I get free laundry on other cruise lines. Why not Azamara? If they convert the laundry room to a passenger cabin, they would make mote money and make guests happy.

Buy an elasticated line to put in the shower!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If it's one of the lines with suction cups at the end it will not work. The walls are made of some materiel they don't stick on. As far as the ones with the hooks it didn't work either.

We just got off the Journey. We brought a retractable rod with us. If anyone wants to hear that story I'll be glad to share.

If it's one of the lines with suction cups at the end it will not work. The walls are made of some materiel they don't stick on. As far as the ones with the hooks it didn't work either.

We just got off the Journey. We brought a retractable rod with us. If anyone wants to hear that story I'll be glad to share.

Please do!

I agree that the retractable washing line needs to be re-installed in the shower/bathroom. Having recently been on a Caribbean cruise on Journey I found that there was no where to dry wet swimware. With the prices that Azamara is currently charging for their cruises I don't expect to have to bring my own washing line !

I agree that the retractable washing line needs to be re-installed in the shower/bathroom. Having recently been on a Caribbean cruise on Journey I found that there was no where to dry wet swimware. With the prices that Azamara is currently charging for their cruises I don't expect to have to bring my own washing line !

Good point. I have no interest in laundry bags or washing machines on board, but do want somewhere to dry our swimwear.

Please do!

Well, we brought a retractable rod with us. It is one of those rods that you can make shortest (24") or longest (42") or anywhere in between. So we put it in the shower after trying the elastic line we got from Triple A with suction cups on either end as suggested on this board. It also had hooks on either end. That did not work because of the materiel on the shower walls and no place to hook on to in the shower.

The rod went up next and 2 minutes later (as soon as the ship moved a little) it fell down. The reason was because the right side of the shower wall is not straight. We kind of suspect that but it was wedged in there pretty good. So I got a piece of cardboard and wedged it in the right side of the rod after it was up. It fell down again. Next I took the cardboard piece and put it in WITH the right side of the rod and walla! It stayed up the entire two cruises we were on the ship.

Please know that they said they ordered the shower lines (also hooks for the cabins) but they didn't come in time for our cruises. I saw several boxes in one of the supply rooms marked hooks, white during the second leg of our cruise but not sure if there are for the cabins.

A whole lot of trouble just to hang wet bathing suits. You can also hang it on the shower fixtures (the hold and cold levers have a long chrome piece in between them) but probably won't dry very fast that way.

Good luck!:)

Please know that they said they ordered the shower lines (also hooks for the cabins) but they didn't come in time for our cruises. I saw several boxes in one of the supply rooms marked hooks, white during the second leg of our cruise but not sure if there are for the cabins.

It makes me SO HAPPY to know this was just a supply/reno issue, and not a decision to remove the clotheslines!! Wonder why it's taken so long for that to come out?

• 4 weeks later...
We leave this week for our cruise on the Journey. Are the self-serve laundry facilities up and working? Just trying to pack light.Thanks.

Pearl

You may not get a response from a passenger since the Journey has been under charter for several weeks. Maybe Bonnie can find out???

I have used the Journey laundry on several cruises. I have also ised the self service laundry room. I prefer just sending the clothes to the laundry. I hate wasting time doing my own laundry. On Celebrity as elite plus I get 2 free bags per cruise. My spouse gets another 2 free bags. We never use all the coupons. There is no self service laundry room. If Azamara is truly amazing, they should ditch the laundry room and give away free laundry to all. I get free laundry on other cruise lines. Why not Azamara? If they convert the laundry room to a passenger cabin, they would make mote money and make guests happy.

"On Celebrity as elite plus I get 2 free bags per cruise."

You should be aware that your benefits are reciprocal with Azamara and likewise you will be eligible for various perks including laundry.

Elite Plus equates to Discoverer Plus although the benefits are not identical, but then neither are the ships nor their regular inclusions.

If the laundry room was ditched, I would still hand wash delicate items that I don't want to go through commercial machines.

We leave this week for our cruise on the Journey. Are the self-serve laundry facilities up and working? Just trying to pack light.Thanks.

Pearl

Still not working I'm afraid. Irons are set up and available though. See my reply on another thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49996806&postcount=13

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

How much does it cost to have a bag of laundry done - I want to avoid the self -service option?

As Grandma Cruising said "If the self-service laundry isn't working you will get a bag free."

There is usually one promotion of a bag for $30 on each cruise ... otherwise cost is per item ... and nowhere near the low figure of $30.

As Grandma Cruising said "If the self-service laundry isn't working you will get a bag free."

There is usually one promotion of a bag for $30 on each cruise ... otherwise cost is per item ... and nowhere near the low figure of $30.

Thanks, Baynan