Contagious Diseases

cruislovin

Does anyone know if RCI will quarantine you for contagious diseases such as a diagnosis of strep or something else that needs antibiotics? I'm always leary of going to the ship's doctor for fear of being quarantined!

You should be quarantined if you are contagious, it is just common courtesy.

Interesting question from someone who is currently sailing on the Allure.

Does anyone know if RCI will quarantine you for contagious diseases such as a diagnosis of strep or something else that needs antibiotics? I'm always leary of going to the ship's doctor for fear of being quarantined!

And this is how things spread like wildfire around the ship. People not going to the doctor when they should as well as people lying on their pre-cruise health survey.

If you simply have a sore throat from allergies, or sniffles, etc...they aren't going to quarantine you. If you are REALLY sick, would you really feel like being "out and about"? I know I wouldn't!

They quarantined my wife 2 years ago for a 24 hour period. Everything in the mini fridge was available to her free of charge as well as movies on the cabin tv. And of course room service. They gave us a future cruise credit also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And this is how things spread like wildfire around the ship. People not going to the doctor when they should as well as people lying on their pre-cruise health survey.

Unfortunately, those health surveys are a joke. We saw a very pregnant woman on the Oasis last week while we were waiting for an elevator. An old lady went up to the woman and asked her when she was due. The pregnant lady said July 17th. So much for the 24 week rule. Same thing happened when we were on the Jewel in September. The woman beside us at muster was so pregnant, she couldn't pick up what her very young daughter dropped. Someone asked her when she was due, she said early November.

Unfortunately, those health surveys are a joke. We saw a very pregnant woman on the Oasis last week while we were waiting for an elevator. An old lady went up to the woman and asked her when she was due. The pregnant lady said July 17th. So much for the 24 week rule. Same thing happened when we were on the Jewel in September. The woman beside us at muster was so pregnant, she couldn't pick up what her very young daughter dropped. Someone asked her when she was due, she said early November.

Oh I agree they're a joke. Very few people are going to say something that will keep them from cruising, even knowing they are endangering others. (And yes, given that the health center is NOT set up to be a NICU at all, I would say those pregnant ladies were definitely endangering someone else if something had happened and they'd gone into labor.)

Just wondering as a health care professional asked and I have no experience with this and do not know. So I said I'd ask the "experts" on CC. Now I remember why I rarely ask a question on these boards...

you are the one who claimed it was you in your original post.

I'm always leary of going to the ship's doctor for fear of being quarantined!

you are the one who claimed it was you in your original post.

Actually OP asked the question and then said "I'm always leery...." Didn't say he/she was asking for themselves.

Royal Caribbean quarantined both Hubby and myself when we came down with Noro on a cruise. It ended up being three days of quarantine because he came down with it a day before I did.

Any quarantine cabin had a big "X" on the door made of yellow tape. That was supposed to keep you from leaving the room. The truth is, however, you feel so bad with Noro you don't want to leave your cabin anyway.

I self quarantined me on our last cruise. I started feeling unwell about the same time we hit some rough weather, but I also had chills and then was "burning up" We told the room steward not to clean our cabin, but just leave clean towels. I slept most of the day and just ate broth and crackers that day. The next morning I felt fine.

We never did figure our if I was seasick or had caught a "bug" but when you feel that bad you only want to lay in bed and sleep anyway.

I self quarantined me on our last cruise. I started feeling unwell about the same time we hit some rough weather, but I also had chills and then was "burning up" We told the room steward not to clean our cabin, but just leave clean towels. I slept most of the day and just ate broth and crackers that day. The next morning I felt fine.

We never did figure our if I was seasick or had caught a "bug" but when you feel that bad you only want to lay in bed and sleep anyway.

Gosh, Hflors, what you described--chills, fever, 24-hour duration--sure sounds like food poisoning. If in the previous 24 hours you ate only on the ship, and you heard no other reports of passenger sickness, then my theory may not be that good. If, on the other hand, you ate something on shore in the previous 12-24 hours, then there might be something to it--especially, if you ate something that your traveling companion(s) did not.

I really don't know if chills and fever are common symptoms of sea sickness.

I am of the opinion that 95% of the time "24-hour bugs" are caused by food poisoning.

Good for you for minimizing the room steward's responsibilities and, therefore, his exposure.

Just wondering as a health care professional asked and I have no experience with this and do not know. So I said I'd ask the "experts" on CC. Now I remember why I rarely ask a question on these boards...

The "experts" do sometimes become judgmental, don't they?;)

Yes they will.

And so they should.

Gosh, Hflors, what you described--chills, fever, 24-hour duration--sure sounds like food poisoning. If in the previous 24 hours you ate only on the ship, and you heard no other reports of passenger sickness, then my theory may not be that good. If, on the other hand, you ate something on shore in the previous 12-24 hours, then there might be something to it--especially, if you ate something that your traveling companion(s) did not.

I really don't know if chills and fever are common symptoms of sea sickness.

I am of the opinion that 95% of the time "24-hour bugs" are caused by food poisoning.

Good for you for minimizing the room steward's responsibilities and, therefore, his exposure.

The previous day we traveled thru the Panama Canal so what ever it was came from the ship. Thank goodness it only lasted one day!

Didn't know something that needed antibiotics was automatically contagious.

It's not - generally quarantine (outside of Noro virus) is for those with a fever and only lasts until 24 hours after the fever has resolved without the use of fever-reducing medicines. For example, the ship's doctor might give you antibiotics for your ear infection but if you don't have fever, you won't be quarantined. This is why most passengers don't need to worry about going to the doctor if they are ill. If you don't have fever, you won't be quarantined, but if you are quarantined, the ship generally treats you very well - free room service and so forth until the quarantine is lifted. Really, when you are truly sick, being quarantined is not the worst thing in the world - with a fever, you don't feel like going out or getting out of bed or even getting dressed for that matter. And I'm sure everyone can recall an incident where they were sick and they took a shower and then got dressed, then a fever and sweated. Ugh! Not fun.

Didn't know something that needed antibiotics was automatically contagious.

You raise a good point. And as a a retired health care professional, I can't imagine ever asking a question like that.

You don't need to be a health care professional to know that not all diseases that require antibiotics are contagious. An ear infection isn't contagious, but strep throat is. Both require antibiotics.

On the other hand, there are diseases that are contagious but do not require antibiotics. Viral infections are a good example.

And I will give the side eye to anyone who says they are leery of going to sick bay in case they end up quarantined. Yeah, by all means feel sick enough to consider seeing a doctor, but keep wandering around the ship and possibly infecting everyone around you. Of course they will quarantine you if you're contagious.

Edited by mom says

Most lines will only quarantine you for a gastrointestinal illness, not for anything else.

Unless you had gastrointestinal issues too it sounds like too much sun.

• 2 weeks later...
Unless you had gastrointestinal issues too it sounds like too much sun.

Just got off the Oasis this past Saturday. Both DH and I came down with severe stomach pains, chills and body aches the last 36 hours of our cruise. I woke up 4:am Friday morning with funny feeling in my chest and shaking. By breakfast time we both had stomach pain. It got worse so we stayed in our cabin until disembarkation. DH told our steward and just switched out towels. We had absolutely no appetite until Sunday. It's Tuesday and now I'm having the same stomach pains again. Calling my doctor if not better by the morning. A couple of days before we got sick our Diamond Lounge concierge had the same symptoms but he wasn't quarantined. We did notice staff disinfecting all over the ship.