Fanny Pack News

Elevatorman

What on earth is a fanny pack:eek: Here in the UK it takes on a differenet meaning:eek:

I've heard it called a "belly bag" and a "bum bag" in the UK.

Yes, an elderly friend of mine was quite mortified when she made a reference to a fanny pack in Australia and her host took her aside and explained that it isn't a polite term there.

It is a small bag that hangs on a belt around the waist....holds wallet, passports, and other necessities.

Well E-man...I have a cruise in August and like hands-free too. :p

However, what is your source that using Fanny Packs are no longer a fashion faux pas?? :eek::confused:

Actually they have always been a fashion faux pas. However, as silly as they look, they can also be very useful.

DON

I've still got a nice selection of them. And, often bring one on a cruise. I'm at the point where I don't care if they look "touristy or old lady". Well, heck....I AM an old lady now! But, still very young at heart and don't look all that old, either. 😉 I might use one for our cruise next year. Keyword: Might. I'm also liking a small, cross-strap purse that I've used in recent years.

Ooh........please don't use that particular 'f' word in polite company here in the UK :o

...it has a whole other meaning :eek:

Or in Australia - as I discovered inadvertently years ago... [emoji33]

Yes, bum bag is the standard term here in Australia. "Fanny" has a completely different meaning.

I do recall when I was young, probably early teens, I was watching an episode of Happy Days and Mr Cunningham said to Joanie... "If you leave the house wearing that I'll nail your fanny to the bed". I nearly keeled over dead on the floor :eek::confused::D:eek::confused::D!!!

Yay Fanny Packs are back!!! For some folks like Aunt Bertha they never went away, but for most they were an object of derision.

So I am dusting mine off and will go forward hands free.

I have 2 designer cross- the-body bags that convert to a fanny pack (I refer to them as belt bag). I use them both ways depending on what I'm carrying. Convenient and they ARE designer!

Fanny pack (or bum bag, ect...)= fashion "no".

True story:

I was working with a film crew- one of the crew mentioned how hard it was to find a fanny pack. I went home and stole my husband's- and gave it away.

I have always worried a little bit that they might make a come back... I just needed to get that temptation out of the house.

It has been about 6 years. I don't think he has noticed yet.

SHHHHHHHHHHH. It is our little secret.

Well E-man...I have a cruise in August and like hands-free too. :p

However, what is your source that using Fanny Packs are no longer a fashion faux pas?? :eek::confused:

I have an impeccable source , Mrs E. She reports that fanny packs have been seen in NYC. In the daylight. And not only Gucci brand, but plain leather ones and sport types too.

Yes, bum bag is the standard term here in Australia. "Fanny" has a completely different meaning.

I do recall when I was young, probably early teens, I was watching an episode of Happy Days and Mr Cunningham said to Joanie... "If you leave the house wearing that I'll nail your fanny to the bed". I nearly keeled over dead on the floor :eek::confused::D:eek::confused::D!!!

That is way too funny! While traveling in England, I also learned to say I was "full" after dinner and not "stuffed".

What on earth is a fanny pack:eek: Here in the UK it takes on a differenet meaning

That was my first thought when I saw the subject line. D'Oh! How about "bum bag" instead. It works quite well in the UK. The other term is a bit... improper. :eek:

You'll probably be among the 3 people on the ship that use one. :D LOL :D

Don't forget your lanyard in a matching color. :rolleyes:

Like to insult people who do not conform to your fashion desires do you? FANNY PACKS AND LANYARDS FOR ALL. Remember lanyard often choke people if used properly.