Does anybody ever bring a gift for their room steward?

tdavis0990

No we would never bring some trinket. They don't have room for it. My 'personal touch' is a hand made thank you card with their extra cash (if warranted). They do not need nor want candy or Knick knacks or any other space hog.

They probably don't need the card, either.

Now all we need is the poster who carries around a bag of Hershey's miniatures and likes to pass out "rewards" to the crew.:rolleyes:

Leave them cash if you feel you would like to leave something beyond the standard.

I think that chocolates are pretty benign. If we are in a place with really good stuff (think chocolate-covered macadamia nuts in Hawaii), we will pick up a few boxes and give them to people around the ship. If they don't like it, somebody in the 1000+-member crew will (who doesn't like chocolate??;)). I really don't think they get annoyed that we didn't give them an extra $5 instead.

Our practice is that if it's not consumable in a short period of time we won't give it to a crewmember for all the reasons already given. But there's no reason not to give a gift (over and above the normal gratuity) if one is so moved. None at all.

I think that chocolates are pretty benign. If we are in a place with really good stuff (think chocolate-covered macadamia nuts in Hawaii), we will pick up a few boxes and give them to people around the ship. If they don't like it, somebody in the 1000+-member crew will (who doesn't like chocolate??;)). I really don't think they get annoyed that we didn't give them an extra $5 instead.

Our practice is that if it's not consumable in a short period of time we won't give it to a crewmember for all the reasons already given. But there's no reason not to give a gift (over and above the normal gratuity) if one is so moved. None at all.

The poster I was referring to, who hasn't posted to this thread yet, likes to "reward" crew during the day if they do a good deed. They pass out little minis if they feel whatever a crew member did deserves their "reward". Sounds too much like giving a treat to your dog to me.

I get what you are saying but it is all in the presentation.:)

The best "gift" i can give my cabin attendant,(in addition to a cash tip), is to keep my room tidy and not be a slob that expects him/her to be my personal servant; that plus being pleasant and saying thanks frequently.

Personally, I think people who like to give gifts do it to make themselves happy because it makes them feel good. It's kind of like the totally useless presents I receive at Christmas that I don't need or want. It makes the giver feel good and of course I never let them know I don't love the gift, (just like the cabin attendants do.)

Extra tips are always welcomed. They fold easily and take up little room.

Also filling out a compliment card that is distributed by the cruiseline is helpful.

We also try to keep a neat cabin. I think it is helpful for the steward .

We never give a gift to our cabin stewards -- we have 2 cabin stewards on HAL.

First -- we do not want to offend them by giving something they may not like.

Also their cabins are very tiny and they do not have a lot of room for gifts.

For awhile I read people saying that they bought phone cards to pass out. Many of the crew have their own International phones and computers.

The crew would much prefer to have cash -- they can send money home -- they can buy items they need -- laundry soap, personal hygiene items, etc.

We give extra money tips at the end of the cruise to those individuals whom we felt made our cruise an enjoyable one.

Now all we need is the poster who carries around a bag of Hershey's miniatures and likes to pass out "rewards" to the crew.:rolleyes:

Leave them cash if you feel you would like to leave something beyond the standard.

We had a guest from Maryland visit our hotel during a conference. Instead of cash tips like every normal person would do, he gave out refrigerator magnets from Maryland. If you were REALLY good, he'd give you a peacock feather. Dumb and cheap and rather insulting. All went right in the trash can.

trinkets - a staff member HAS to show that they "appreciate" it when they are in the front of the house; in the staff quarters, well, different feelings are shown… Staff cannot pay the rent or feed the family with trinkets.

Now, I did have a very nice guest give me a VERY nice bottle of Chard last week and I was just as genuinely appreciative as the gentleman who gave me a $40 tip last night for giving him an upgrade into a suite for the night. I couldn't pay the rent with the Chard, but it tasted very good after this week's hard nights at work.

Edited by slidergirl

When I was a much younger fellow, I worked as a ski instructor at a destination winter resort at Lake Tahoe.

Some of my clients were ski-week folks and I cannot remember ever not receiving some monetary tip at the end of the week.

On more occasions than you might think, I also often received exactly the same "gift" of a knit woolen ski hat (sometimes a multiple duplicate of exactly the same hat).

Other instructors also received an occasional hat and we actually had a hat box, which was used primarily for charitable donations or, in a pinch, re-gifting.

In the service industry, money is king. No one wants or needs your "hat."

A summary (as someone who has read many of these similar threads every so often):

*Cash (in addition to keeping on the auto-grats) and positive reviews (if your cruise line has a program like "Consummate Host" cards like Princess...it's easy to fill and will go in the crew member's personnel file) are always welome

* just make sure that cash is in standard currency -- no $2 bills or silver quarters that will require a hassle for the crew memberr

* gifts will take up room in a tiny cabin that is shared with other crew members

* food items such as candy or hometown delicacies may be something the crew member likes, eats, or even wants

* don't assume the crew members celebrate the same holidays you do, especially not religious ones

* any words of gratitude they may give after getting presented with such a gift may not be gracious...remember they have to smile and make you feel special, even when inside they are cringing

I used to work for a company that would hand out special gifts obtained from one of our clients (for example, a cheapie camera). Usually right after these gifts are passed out, many employees are calling local stores to find out where we can return them for cash or store credit. Not kidding. Often that day's lunch hour is spent on a trip to return said item. Usually we do get a cash bonus, but if we get some trinket we can't use or don't like (or don't know who to pawn it off on as a gift), then it's something we have to deal with.

This past March we were on a cruise during Spring Break. I am a teacher and I had bought Girl Scouts cookies from every student who asked me. I ended up with a lot so I brought three boxes for the cabin steward. He seemed very appreciative and said he had always heard about the cookies but had never had them. We also gave him money at the beginning of the cruise and at the end. I know I will do that again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They probably don't need the card, either.

Wait, you tell Spook they probably don't need her card but yet you say there is no reason not to give a gift, none at all.:confused:

There are people who don't like chocolate or nuts for that matter. What you feel, and whether or not the crew member is annoyed for not getting an extra $5, could be two different things.;)

Besides cash, the best thing you can give to the crew is a positive note to Guest Services or thru the after-cruise survey. Rehiring and promotions are based on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I sometimes bring a small bottle of maple syrup as we're from Canada and also ask them if they need anything while we're in port...I'll get them what they ask and not ask for payment....we've been asked for shampoo and fridge magnets so far.

Forgot to mention. To our surprise crew members do NOT get free internet. I just assumed it was an employee perk. They pay a premium and cash comes in extra handy to cover the ability to keep up with friends and family back home.

When I was a much younger fellow, I worked as a ski instructor at a destination winter resort at Lake Tahoe.

Some of my clients were ski-week folks and I cannot remember ever not receiving some monetary tip at the end of the week.

On more occasions than you might think, I also often received exactly the same "gift" of a knit woolen ski hat (sometimes a multiple duplicate of exactly the same hat).

Other instructors also received an occasional hat and we actually had a hat box, which was used primarily for charitable donations or, in a pinch, re-gifting.

In the service industry, money is king. No one wants or needs your "hat."

Agree with this sentiment. On our last cruise we bought a bunch of snack foods (that we didn't use) and then got a basket of candies and goodies in the rollcall gift exchange. I did not burden our fine steward with this stuff. Rather, I passed it on to Guest Relations and asked if they would, if possible, pass it on to crew.

I saw it suggested on another post to bring a small gift for your room steward. I thought it was a nice idea, I mean who doesn't like gifts?

Replies to that post were surprisingly negative, "They want your money, not a gift" "WHY would you bring a gift??" etc. :confused::(

Anyway, does anybody ever do this? If so what do you give??

Just so its clear, I would NEVER tip less because I gave a gift, in fact I usually tip more than recommended.

Since you read the other thread you know that the biggest argument against it is crew quarters are very small. Where are they to keep this gift?

Second objection is unless you happen to know for sure what tangible item they'd like, you are giving them something they have no use for that they have to find a place for or get rid of. Not even food is a good idea unless they specifically mentioned something they like.

That is the reason for all the negative replies.

I sometimes bring a small bottle of maple syrup as we're from Canada

Can I be your friend?:D

and also ask them if they need anything while we're in port...I'll get them what they ask and not ask for payment....we've been asked for shampoo and fridge magnets so far.

I've done the same thing but so far, none have taken me up on my offer.

Once on b2b, I was roaming around the port between cruises when I saw a group of crew waiting for a taxi. I asked where they were going and they said Walmart to buy laundry detergent. None of those extra little gifts were going to help pay for that soap.

Our last cruise was a long one, and at one Port there were about 800 departing and being replaced, I tried to tell our Steward to skip our cabin that day, after about 15 minutes I gave up, he was certain I was complaining about something.

A small language barrier.

Well it is pretty hard to decipher was you Ozzies are saying

For my holiday cruises I gave out battery operated Christmas lights.

I also give the extra tip like others have mentioned.

Considering where many of the crew come from, I would guess that many of them are not Christian and therefore do not celebrate Christmas. Re the suggestion from someone else that you give them phone cards - phone cards so so 20th century. Haven't you noticed them in the terminals talking to their family using their computers. Also. I am sure that if they wish to use phone cards, they can get much better deals than you can.

If you feel that you must give them something, good reviews and pieces of paper with dead politicians on them are your best bet.

DON

We are doing the Harmony inaugural TA and we have pins stating the same, I've ordered one for our attendant.

If you are going to give trinkets I have to say this is a very cool and thoughtful one. One that I would not have thought of. Kudos to you for thinking about it.

You reminded me though, on the inaugural of the (I think) original Regal or Grand. Our group had made up group t-shirt that said "inaugural, the name of the ship, the name of our group and all of the names of the people in our group.

OMG - people, both passengers and crew wanted to buy them off our backs. We actually had one stolen. Since two crew members had specifically asked for one and even though we didn't have extras two of our group, the ones with the right size, literally gave them the shirts off their backs. Princess had not yet made anything with the new ship name.

I used to work for a company that would hand out special gifts obtained from one of our clients (for example' date=' a cheapie camera). Usually right after these gifts are passed out, many employees are calling local stores to find out where we can return them for cash or store credit. Not kidding. Often that day's lunch hour is spent on a trip to return said item. Usually we do get a cash bonus, but if we get some trinket we can't use or don't like (or don't know who to pawn it off on as a gift), then it's something we have to deal with.[/quote']

Lucky you! My employer gave out once-a-year employee appreciation gifts, and those were embroidered with the company logo. No returns.