Are you kidding

It would be nice however, if RCCL stopped listing a Solarium Pool as part of the Harmony. :rolleyes:

4 pools including the Solarium, an adults-only retreat*

10 whirlpools, two of them cantilevered whirlpools overlooking the ocean

Concierge Club and Diamond Lounge**

*During inclement weather and select hours, the ship may permit the Solarium Pool to be used by persons under age 16 provided they are directly supervised by a parent or guardian.

The blog also has: "The Solarium is a part of every Royal Caribbean ship, where adults can enjoy a pool experience and simply relax."

It only lists Majesty as the one ship without a solarium pool.

I bet it was replaced with some sort of "profit center".......
That was my initial thought as well: "adults aren't spending money shopping if they're swimming in the pool". I would hope that's not the case though. The only thing I can think of is maybe there was an issue with the amount of additional fresh water the new slides use compared to the amount of fresh water the ships can make in a day. Something had to go for the additional water used by the slides and the solarium pool was it. Just a theory... I can't think of any other reason except being cheap.

Navigator and Independence both had solarium pools. That's where we'd go. Hottub -> pool -> hottub -> pool, etc.

We'd only go on the main pool area at night when they had movies or music.

I liked the HUGE hot tub in Navigator's gym. No one went to the gym so it was always a place we could have to ourselves.

Kinda weird not to have a pool there but c'est la vie!

We got off Harmony yesterday. It's a great ship and I wouldn't, in anyway, describe it as a mess! We had a fantastic time!

We enjoyed the solarium for what it was. If we hadn't sailed on Allure I wouldn't have though anything of it but I do agree that a pool would be a welcome addition. It's not enough to stop me sailing on it again now. There is still loads and loads of other great stuff to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is a reasonable statement. For me, I spend a lot of time at the solariums on Voyager and Freedom class ships. The first time on Oasis we learned we didn't want to spend any time there without access to a pool (Not counting the bird bath located there on Oasis and Allure. But that hasn't stopped us from booking it 3 times. I am dissapointed though since it seemed like early concept drawings showed a nicer pool here.

That was my initial thought as well: "adults aren't spending money shopping if they're swimming in the pool". I would hope that's not the case though. The only thing I can think of is maybe there was an issue with the amount of additional fresh water the new slides use compared to the amount of fresh water the ships can make in a day. Something had to go for the additional water used by the slides and the solarium pool was it. Just a theory... I can't think of any other reason except being cheap.

Fred, I'm going to start calling you, "The thinker!"

There are people who won't go on ships without a Solarium at all, so I think those that voice surprise or displeasure that a Solarium doesn't have a pool aren't wrong. It does seem like a mistake to not have a pool to cool off within the Solarium. In the Caribbean the solarium on O and A get very, very warm...

Exactly. And since most of us booked before the ship was completed, and they mention Solarium pool on their website, it's a disappointment. That doesn't mean we'll cancel our upcoming cruise on Harmony, and I'm sure we'll have a great time. But a couple of "misting leaves" instead of a pool on a ship that's going to eventually be cruising the Caribbean year-round seems like a bad idea. It seems like this ship was all about the slides, and the Solarium was an after-thought.

Just home from the 3nighter and I have to say that the Solarium is a really lovely space. This is just my opinion but really no need for a pool in the Solarium - it is perfect without one.

I was with my son (25) and we had a brilliant time. Nothing negative impacted on our enjoyment of this great ship.

Cheers!

Joan

Dublin Ireland

Great to hear!

And you would've thought that since the Solarium had been expanded down to the forward deck on 14, they would have had plenty of room for a larger pool.

I wasn't aware of that fact since I don't have any plans to look at Harmony before 2019, but of course have been following the various threads. The expansion down to 14 supports the initial drawings showed a multi level infinity pool.

So, I'm a confused. Is there no Solarium pool on purpose, or they didn't build it because they were behind in construction? I do think it's weird to not have a pool in the Solarium but the only Royal ship I've been on is the Anthem which has one. I might not spend time there without pools and/or hot tubs. Maybe they can put it in later? I feel an adults only area really does need a water element. Then again Princess never has anything in their Sanctuary and that's still very popular.

So, I'm a confused. Is there no Solarium pool on purpose, or they didn't build it because they were behind in construction? I do think it's weird to not have a pool in the Solarium but the only Royal ship I've been on is the Anthem which has one. I might not spend time there without pools and/or hot tubs. Maybe they can put it in later? I feel an adults only area really does need a water element. Then again Princess never has anything in their Sanctuary and that's still very popular.

It wasn't in the plans for whatever reason.

So, I'm a confused. Is there no Solarium pool on purpose, or they didn't build it because they were behind in construction?...

Unknown, nothing official from the cruise line on this.

My mistake, I took "no pool" to mean no water. There are hot tubs. I see them in this Youtube video:

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=harmony+of+the+seas+solarium&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

That is more than good enough for me. Pools in Anthem solarium were tiny and pretty cold. Hot tubs were the main draw. And always are for me on cruises, why are the pools always so chilly?

Literally every review of Harmony I have read from someone who was on it was a very positive review. If you want your solarium pool go on oasis or allure. Its the same minus a few slides, bionic bar, and a different name on the same italian restaurant.

I'm not ripping on Harmony, it looks amazing and they did some great updates to the Oasis class "bones" so-to-speak. I just can't stand people who read ONE review and say "its a construction site" or "its a mess."

People go on these cruise TRYING to find something to complain about, and of course they can. I, for one like to ENJOY my vacations so I try to find everything I can to be EXCITED about.

Its an expectations thing. If you go in looking for problems you'll spend your time complaining! I agree no solarium pool on Harmony isn't ideal, but if you are going to let that absolutely ruin your opinion of Royal, then go cruise with any other line and there will be plenty of things to complain about with them too.

My point is, move on and enjoy your vacations for the views, the ocean, and the people you meet at sea. That why cruising became so popular in the early days. Thats the heart of it, and complaining about no solarium pool....maybe just go to an all inclusive resort in Mexico and you'll have MANY more amenities.

Sorry if I'm being cynical, but sometimes people should take a step back and recall WHY cruising is so awesome. Its not the solarium pool. Its the things I listed above that were attainable on tiny ships way back when!

I'd say they are stepping back and in their opinion it's not all about what YOU feel is important...many other people love Solarium because it is a water venue. Not so much with no pool. There are hundreds of reasons people love to sail and they are entitled to their opinions. What works for you doesn't for others and vice versa. It's all in the eye of the beholder.:rolleyes:

Then again Princess never has anything in their Sanctuary and that's still very popular.

Every Princess cruise ship I've been on does have a pool in their Sanctuary, however you do have to pay to use this adult only area!

That is how it is on O and A too, but in the Caribbean it just gets very hot there.

Really do wonder what they were thinking to eliminate the pool, especially since Quantum-class has the multiple gorgeous pools in the Solarium. Just don't understand the reason to remove something popular on O and A.

I imagine it's because the lack of use as compared to the number of people on the ship(s). I of course have no hard numbers or facts, but my experience in visiting the solariums on ships is that at any given time, there are only a couple of people that even get into the pool. In fact, the pools in other solariums are very small. I recognize that there are many that enjoy the solarium pools, but compared to the overall number of people on board the ships, the number is relatively small.

Fred, I'm going to start calling you, "The thinker!"
HAHA! Probably a lot more of a dreamer. ;) Just trying to come up with a reasonably logical explanation as to why they thought it would be a good idea to not have a solarium pool. My only guess is either someone screwed up in the redesign of the pool and quantity of fresh water used with all the new equipment, and/or it became more expensive than they wanted to spend on a big new pool. At any rate, this change is a big disappointment to me.

I imagine it's because the lack of use as compared to the number of people on the ship(s). I of course have no hard numbers or facts, but my experience in visiting the solariums on ships is that at any given time, there are only a couple of people that even get into the pool. In fact, the pools in other solariums are very small. I recognize that there are many that enjoy the solarium pools, but compared to the overall number of people on board the ships, the number is relatively small.

At least on allure and oasis, you simply can't fit very many people in the solarium pool. It is VERY small and starts to feel crowded once more than maybe 8 or 9 people are in there. I'm sure that stops more people from using the pools in there.

Goes with the old saying..."You can't please everyone!"

There are going to be people who are very upset, upset enough to cancel cruises on Harmony...which I think is absolutely ridiculous...and there are people who could care less if there is a pool there or not. Fact of the matter is, RCCL looks at all the surveys they receive and information about all their ships and have very capable marketing people on their payroll. It seems that the pool in the solarium is not utilized as much as you might think., therefore they opted to remove it from this ship.

There are plenty of other great venues around this ship to utilize and enjoy. If you are so set on a solarium pool, you have other ships to choose from. :) It's that simple, really!

Lol really? Are these the same people that routinely put out inconsistent and incorrect information in their marketing materials? :rolleyes:

Every Princess cruise ship I've been on does have a pool in their Sanctuary, however you do have to pay to use this adult only area!

The pools are not in the fee area of Sanctuary except on the old Dawn,Coral and Sun-but not on any of the newer ships-even on Regal and Royal the pools are free. And on most of the ships they are separated from the Sanctuary, though in the vicinity.

Edited by gadaboutgal

Just home from the 3nighter and I have to say that the Solarium is a really lovely space. This is just my opinion but really no need for a pool in the Solarium - it is perfect without one.

I was with my son (25) and we had a brilliant time. Nothing negative impacted on our enjoyment of this great ship.

Cheers!

Joan

Dublin Ireland

Not in the caribbean, Ireland yes who needs a pool.