Booking Specialty Dining in Advance

Bogie Man

I am sailing on the Eurodam next April. Tried to book / purchase some specialty dining on the web site, but the message comes back as being "unavailable" to book at this time.

Anyone know how far in advance one can purchase specialty dining before the departure date? I know my cruise leaves in 300 plus days, but I'm just being proactive.

I am sailing on the Eurodam next April. Tried to book / purchase some specialty dining on the web site, but the message comes back as being "unavailable" to book at this time.

Anyone know how far in advance one can purchase specialty dining before the departure date? I know my cruise leaves in 300 plus days, but I'm just being proactive.

Like so many things with HAL, it can vary. On my most recent cruise, this past winter, it was only about 2 months before sailing, which seems like a short time frame. And it didn't all show up at once. When I first checked, Caneletto was available but Pinnacle wasn't. I called customer service to find out what was going on, and she told me they were "in the process" of loading a lot of dates and check back in a day or two. Sure enough, a few days later, Pinnacle was available.

You'll just have to keep checking. You might get an email when shore excursions are open for booking (some line I sailed with did this, but I don't remember which one). But I don't think I've ever received an email telling me that specialty dining is available.

Yes, it's way too early for booking specialty dining. I would try again in a few months, maybe at the six month mark. You could also check your roll call as some posters will post there if they notice the reservations are up for booking.

A word of caution though: I've noticed that there can be delays for PG reservations for cruises early in the year as HAL needs to renew the license for Le Cirque every year or two.

Yes, it's way too early for booking specialty dining. I would try again in a few months, maybe at the six month mark. You could also check your roll call as some posters will post there if they notice the reservations are up for booking.

A word of caution though: I've noticed that there can be delays for PG reservations for cruises early in the year as HAL needs to renew the license for Le Cirque every year or two.

Ahh, that could explain why Pinnacle showed up so late for the Feb dates I wanted.

When HAL is running a promotion which gives away free dining at one or more of the specialty restaurants they tend to fill up quickly, so booking in advance is a good idea. Otherwise it normally is easy to wait until you board to book (that way you can use your OBC (on board credits)).

If you want prime time dining (6:30-7:30) in the specialty dining venues, you are wise to book on line before your cruise. Pre-paying before sailing also helps to soften the amount of the bill at the end of the cruise!

• 2 years later...
On 6/7/2016 at 5:26 PM, Bradison said:

What do they cost per person?

Which ones?  

Short list - Pinnacle Grill is $35 pp

Sel de Mer is $49 pp

Cannaleto is $15 pp

Tamarind is $25 pp

If you go to the HAL site and log in and select reservations, all the prices show there.

On 5/30/2016 at 3:39 PM, Alberta Quilter said:

... A word of caution though: I've noticed that there can be delays for PG reservations for cruises early in the year as HAL needs to renew the license for Le Cirque every year or two.

... FYI HAL's contract for An Evening at Le Cirque actually ended a couple of years ago and was replaced by Rudi's Sel de Mer.

On 5/30/2016 at 10:45 PM, meglet said:

I wasn't aware you could do this. I found the 2 dinner "package," but didn't purchase yet. Does the site allow you to specify nights and times before you get onboard? Thanks.

Not that I have seen.  If you book the two or three dinner package (which has a slight discount) then you have to wait until you are onboard.

And I am glad because I have a specialty dining question. 

We will wait until we get onboard to book any restaurants because we have so much OBC to spend.  I know the current pricing of each restaurant, but does HAL ever offer discounts onboard?  On Celebrity, usually one can get a 30-50% discount on the first night of the cruise.  Or later in the week, if the specialties are not booking well and there's lots of space available.  We are low with the * Mariner loyalty, so there will be no loyalty discount coming our way. 😉

4 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I saw some signs on the Lido tables about 25% off in Canaletto on my Sep/18 cruise.  I can't remember if it was there was a specific day (like the first day), though.  I wish I had paid better attention; sorry!

On our Zaandam cruise in September, that happened, too.  I do think there were some specials the first night, I can't remember if it was Pinnacle or Canaletto.   I imagine a lot has to do with how well they are booking up.  I think there were also signs occasionally about additional happy hours (lunchtime mimosas or bloody marys), so it is a good thing to look at those little signs when you're in the Lido!:classic_smile:

Just now, Vict0riann said:

On our Zaandam cruise in September, that happened, too.  I do think there were some specials the first night, I can't remember if it was Pinnacle or Canaletto.   I imagine a lot has to do with how well they are booking up.  I think there were also signs occasionally about additional happy hours (lunchtime mimosas or bloody marys), so it is a good thing to look at those little signs when you're in the Lido!:classic_smile:

I was going to post that I thought there were some discounts for the PG but was concerned that I was wrong so omitted that part from my prior post!  So, OP, there you have it!  Definite maybe for both PG and Canaletto.  Just read the signs in the LIdo, like Victoriann says!