What is fair

EDLOS

A week after I booked my 12 day cruise at $1798 on the Osterdam (obstructed view) as a single occupancy, HAL reduced that category by 37% ($674.00) to $1124. One alternative they offered was $300 more (making my fare $2098) and they would give me a Verandah Cabin (book now price $1748) or $50 less than I have already paid for my obstructed view cabin.

I have spent since Jan.2015 til Mar. 1st 2016 89 days on HAL cruises and it apparently does not mean a thing to them.

Anyone want to defend HAL ?

Sounds like you booked after final payment. HAL doesn't have to do anything for you...and that applies to everyone on HAL, including people like ourselves...who have 200 days on HAL. That is called consistency. There are other rewards for people who have your number of days, and our number of days.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I feel for you a lot! But I assume this is after final payment and that is how HAL handles pricing then.

If this were before final payment you could have the cruise refared to the new pricing.

I would not expect HAL to differentiate between those with your days or a 5 star with 1000 days, though.

As to defending HAL and the "fairness" of it, I have to say they can do what they want, it is their business model.

Edited by SilvertoGold

This is an example of 'fair' vs. corporate policy. There is no extra perk for changes like this for high star members or for how many days you spent on HAL in the past year. Best I can offer is to have your TA go in and work it out for more perks as do not think you have a chance on a lower fare.

A week after I booked my 12 day cruise at $1798 on the Osterdam (obstructed view) as a single occupancy, HAL reduced that category by 37% ($674.00) to $1124. One alternative they offered was $300 more (making my fare $2098) and they would give me a Verandah Cabin (book now price $1748) or $50 less than I have already paid for my obstructed view cabin.

I have spent since Jan.2015 til Mar. 1st 2016 89 days on HAL cruises and it apparently does not mean a thing to them.

I may be too new to the cruising world, but not sure I fully understand what they are offering. If I read this, they are offering a verandah for the same price?....or are they still wanting to charge you a further $300 as an 'upsell'? If free, then take it or leave it, but if still wanting further money then I can see how it can rankle.

What about asking for some Onboard Credit for your pains?

Though I do agree if this is past payment due date, then that is how it is.

For what it is worth, you might get different opinions about 'fair' if posted on the Solo Cruiser forum. As a solo traveller, I feel your pain.

Did you make your reservation after final payment date? That makes a big difference on what HAL will do.

Same with Celebrity and probably all the other lines. Sad to know you could have paid less by waiting longer.

Your choices next time are: 1) take a chance by waiting until after final payment date. Maybe the ship won't be sold out. Maybe it will be. Maybe there will be cabins left but only undesirable ones. Or maybe the price will have increased. I see this all the time on cruises I booked long in advance.

Or, (2) when you decide to plan a cruise, book what you want in the location you like at a price you are willing to pay, and don't make yourself crazy by checking prices after final payment.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Does your super market let you get a new price on your steak you bought yesterday when they go on sale today? How about your car dealer? You were obviously happy with the price when you booked, why should they have to reprice their product when no one else does?

Booking cruises (on any line) is a little bit like playing craps! You toss the dice (book) and take your chances :). And this is especially true when it comes to the final payment date roulette game. For example, we just booked a July Zuiderdam cruise where we received an amazing price on a decent balcony cabin. We assume that many on our cruise will have paid at least double the rate we paid...but they would have booked that cruise at an earlier date (prior to the final payment date). The early bookers have the advantage of being able to plan far in advance, book their hotels, air, excursions, etc. The last minute bookers (we do this quite often) often (but not always) get a huge price advantage. For us, last minute bookings are perfectly fine since we are very flexible as to the cruise line, ship, and even itinerary. So we simply shop around for a particular date range and often grab the bargain which might be on HAL..or perhaps Seabourn, Crystal, Celebrity, etc.

When we talk to folks like the OP they will tell us things like, "we like to book early so we can pick our cabin," or "we want to go on that particular ship at that time," etc. Those folks (including the OP) have made their decision...and they often must live with the results. For those of us who sometimes do these last minute bookings, we have to live with the cruises we want to take that is to never be :).

Hank

The reason they reduced the fare (which had obviously seemed fair to you at the time you booked it) was because cabins were not selling well.

What would your reaction have been if demand for the itinerary had sky-rocketed and HAL was able to sell comparable cabins for $674 more -- would you have seen it fair for them to ask you to pay more?

"Fair" is a term which can be seen to mean different things depending upon one's position - but living with a deal that one makes is generally seen as fair play.

Does your super market let you get a new price on your steak you bought yesterday when they go on sale today? How about your car dealer? You were obviously happy with the price when you booked, why should they have to reprice their product when no one else does?

The super market I go to, policy is "you can return anything you buy for any reason, no questions asked" which is why I continue to shop there.

Legally HAL is right, but Ethically......... No Way !

I have heard that HAL has been tighter later on offering OBC (on board credit) in these situations and that they are now pushing upsells (like what they offered you). Getting a reduced fare has not been done for quite awhile (if ever) I understand.

Did you book in the US? I have heard that it some countries HAL has different policies.

Looking at your offer from them, it does seem that they are offering you a bit of a deal, getting a better cabin for $300, less than what they are currently advertising. What you paid is not the point to them, right or wrong.

Have your TA give them another try, perhaps you will get a better offer.

"Ethical behavior tends to be GOOD for business and involves demonstrating key moral principles that include honesty, fairness, equality, dignity, diversity, and individual rights "

Just because they (cruise lines) all do it does not make right.

Does HAL or other cruise lines meet this definition of Ethics ??

IF you booked inside the final payment window then HAL is being, in my view, very reasonable. The competition have the same policy.

That is why they call it the final payment window. We almost always book this way. Yes sometimes fares do go lower. We set a target price that we are happy with and buy when our number hits the screen. End of.

As others have noted, how would you like it if HAL increased the price and subsequently demanded additional monies from you?

Any extra concession that HAL makes for you is a courtesy. Cabins on mass market lines have become a commodity item. Your past sailing history with a cruise line is not really significant to them. In fact, sometimes HAL Mariners are actually charged more for a cabin than new or infrequent customers.

Edited by iancal

The price on my July cruise has dropped considerably from when I booked. It's passed final payment date now. I was offered the same deal. They would upgrade my room only at no additional cost. I felt that was fair seeing as how they didn't have to do anything.

If you truly want there to be fairness then you should also call when prices go up and ask them if you can pay more for your cruise even if it was cheaper when you booked.

Other big businesses do not offer prices changes either. Have you ever tried to call and get a reduction on a flight? Would you even think to do that? No, because airlines absolutely do not change their prices. Why would you expect any other travel type of company to do so? If you were happy with the price when you booked then the current price should have no bearing.

"Ethical behavior tends to be GOOD for business and involves demonstrating key moral principles that include honesty, fairness, equality, dignity, diversity, and individual rights "

Just because they (cruise lines) all do it does not make right.

Does HAL or other cruise lines meet this definition of Ethics ??

You're trying to define 'ethical behavior' in a way that benefits yourself. Most would agree that "ethical behavior" consists of treating everyone the same way while following their published procedures. It seems you want special consideration.

Edited by RocketMan275

You're trying to define 'ethical behavior' in a way that benefits yourself. Most would agree that "ethical behavior" consists of treating everyone the same way while following their published procedures. It seems you want special consideration.
Right! If they gave the OP the new lower price, then to be "fair" they would have to give it to everyone who booked the category at a higher price. They wouldn't stay in business very long that way. ;)

Edited by jtl513

Go

Good post:)

Edited by sail7seas

The super market I go to, policy is "you can return anything you buy for any reason, no questions asked" which is why I continue to shop there.

Legally HAL is right, but Ethically......... No Way !

Even ethically they are correct. They clearly and openly disclosed the terms under which you made a purchase. Terms consistently applied. They did not violate those terms, but apparently you now want the terms changed and consider them to be unethical if they won't make a special case for you.

Cost variation is normal throughout the travel industry. People on the same airplane in similar seats pay widely different fares. Hotels charge different amount for rooms.

HAL and many other cruise lines actually are better then most in that they will allow you to reprice a fare prior to the final payment date without penalty.

If you have cancel for any reason insurance, cancel and rebook at the new fare. The cost of the insurance would be far less then what you describe the fare difference to be.

Edited by RDC1

Whatever you perceive it as fair or not it's just the way it goes sometimes. We alway book late (6 weeks out max) and know full well the price may drop or increase before we sail but you accept that price at that time. On our last cruise the price dropped by a further £100 each after we had booked but this time it increased after we booked by £800 each, a price we could not have afforded to pay ...

And you do this: return a certain product and then buy it on sale?

There are many businesses out there that have a Policy of " If our price drops below what you paid within 30 days or a competitor offers a lower price they will refund the difference.

We are not talking about 5 or 10%, It was a 37% drop Give me a break on the old "Buy Beware' and/or "Read the Fine Print " And Yes, they should give it to everyone entitled. Can you imagine how we would be singing their praises and the good press they would get.

Do you call the Cruise industry's behavior "Good Ethics or Bad Ethics or is there a special category call Cruise Industry Ethics"