Smoking on balconies

PrincessPete

Last February aboard the Eclipse there was a small fire on our balcony caused by a discarded cigarette. Celebrity never found the culprit.

We are now very concerned about cruising until the authorities ban smoking, it is too dangerous - Remember the Star Princess !

Edited by mickey89

I'm sure it happens but I've never seen it on Celebrity.

We got home from a 7 day Summit cruise to Bermuda less than 2 weeks ago. Whoever was in the aft cabin next to us was smoking on the veranda and in fact tried to hide the used ashtray with a crumpled up butt in it under the divider wall on our side.

The smell of smoke from cigars, pipes or cigarettes doesn't bother me in the least but smashing out a butt and leaving it on a windy veranda is just plain old stupid.

We called security and the ashtray was gone later that day.

Was probably one of those wearing shorts to the MDR every night of the cruise.

bosco

Must have been on at least a dozen Celebrity cruises since 09, always had a balcony and never had a smoking issue from the neighbors.

I have no problem reporting smoking if I smelled it and could locate the culprit.

Edited by Banjo

Peter,

We have cruised 9 times on Celebrity and only had one cruise where smoking on the balcony was a problem for us. That was our January 2014 Infinity, Around the Horn cruise. We had Europeans in 2 or 3 cabins adjacent to ours upwind from us that kept smoking even after we complained. The first five days of the cruise, the smoking continued, even when we complained and the Housing Manager's office investigated. I personally saw smokers in the act twice, and other times could see the smoke coming from a specific balcony. The Housing Manager was not aggressive enough in my opinion. However, the smoking finally ended. We were told that the culprits were issued a written waring of a possible $2000 fine. That worked for some days, but about two days prior to the end of the cruise, the smoking started back. Again, I complained and the Housing Manager even came by our cabin to discuss the matter. He indicated that he needed more proof to do annoying more. I think he whipped out due to the fact that the cruise was near the end.

Ii was tempted to opine that next time it happens, I will take a photo of the smoker, but was concerned that I might be charged with some kind of invasion of privacy.

My advice is once you see a violation of the policy, complain immediately to the housing manager as well as room steward. Keep complaining if it doesn't stop. Write down the exact time and where the cabin is located. If they are leaning next to the balcony rail, smoking, take a photo if possible.

Cool..I think I might be on to a new use for my selfie stick...JK :)

We've only had issues with balcony smokers on two X cruises. In both cases, we were able to locate the offenders -- next door, in one case, directly below us on the aft, in the other. Both times, we called the GR desk -- and the problem was quickly taken care of. My advice is to call immediately, if you have a problem with someone who does not know/care about the smoking rules. If we don't insist upon X enforcing their policy, they won't!

Just off Equinox and not a problem but eclipse at Christmas our neighbours did it even after they were warned by security. They finally got them as they left butts on the balcony in a cup but a few days later they started again,

On our first Celebrity cruise (a 5 day on Connie), our immediate neighbors were constantly out on their balcony smoking and with a radio playing . It basically made our balcony useless. I should've complained but didn't. So definitely say something if you do see it. Judging from the responses above, it looks like there are varying levels of success.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It is much better to have wine drinkers next door than smokers.

Whoever was in the aft cabin next to us was smoking on the veranda

Was probably one of those wearing shorts to the MDR every night of the cruise.

bosco

You should have noted that they hogged a pool chair and did not wash their hands entering dining room and you would have covered a bunch of topics. :D :p

I can tell you that Celebrity takes smoking on balconies VERY seriously. Two weeks ago, we were on the Summit and I guess the guy in the cabin two doors over was smoking on the balcony. The Cat. RS below complained and they had 2 officers up in his cabin reading him the riot act. We could hear the passenger out in the hallway yelling as they talked to him. This little visit sure stopped the problem. ;)

We have had two incidents involving smoking on balconies.

First one, no problem. They were warned and did not smoke on the balcony again.

Second time, our "neighbors" were smoking on the balcony. I notified the attendant who immediately took care of the issue. Two days later, when returning to our cabin we smelled cigarette smoke in the hallway. As we approached our cabin we realized the smoke was coming from the same cabin as before. I told the attendant and he went to the cabin immediately and pounded on the door even though a "do not disturb" sign was displayed. They were given a warning in writing from the hotel manager. Apparently they were from the "I paid my money I will do whatever the heck I want to" crowd. They had been caught for a third time by another passenger and were kicked off at the next port.

Well we are 1 for 2 . On our first Celebrity cruise we experienced smoke but it was occasional and wasn't from nearby .

Since we had no idea where it was coming from , we didn't complain . As previously noted , this is not unique to Celerity .

The desire of ship staff to ignore or downplay balcony smoking is also unfortunately not unique to Celerity . :mad:

Peter,

We have cruised 9 times on Celebrity and only had one cruise where smoking on the balcony was a problem for us. That was our January 2014 Infinity, Around the Horn cruise. We had Europeans in 2 or 3 cabins adjacent to ours upwind from us that kept smoking even after we complained. The first five days of the cruise, the smoking continued, even when we complained and the Housing Manager's office investigated. I personally saw smokers in the act twice, and other times could see the smoke coming from a specific balcony. The Housing Manager was not aggressive enough in my opinion. However, the smoking finally ended. We were told that the culprits were issued a written waring of a possible $2000 fine. That worked for some days, but about two days prior to the end of the cruise, the smoking started back. Again, I complained and the Housing Manager even came by our cabin to discuss the matter. He indicated that he needed more proof to do annoying more. I think he whipped out due to the fact that the cruise was near the end.

Ii was tempted to opine that next time it happens, I will take a photo of the smoker, but was concerned that I might be charged with some kind of invasion of privacy.

My advice is once you see a violation of the policy, complain immediately to the housing manager as well as room steward. Keep complaining if it doesn't stop. Write down the exact time and where the cabin is located. If they are leaning next to the balcony rail, smoking, take a photo if possible.

After all you went through you would still give this advise ? Honestly at a certain point I'd have to give up

because otherwise I'd let my anger spoil my cruise . More importantly I'd be annoying my DW . :rolleyes:

Edited by richstowe

Well we are 1 for 2 . On our first Celebrity cruise we experienced smoke but it was occasional and wasn't from nearby .

Since we had no idea where it was coming from , we didn't complain . As previously noted , this is not unique to Celerity .

The desire of ship staff to ignore or downplay balcony smoking is also unfortunately not unique to Celerity . :mad:

After all you went through you would still give this advise ? Honestly at a certain point I'd have to give up

because otherwise I'd let my anger spoil my cruise . More importantly I'd be annoying my DW . :rolleyes:

DW is a former smoker and didn't want their smoke on our balcony either. I am not one to give up on an issue like this.

DW is a former smoker and didn't want their smoke on our balcony either. I am not one to give up on an issue like this.

Years ago, our 1st balcony experience was ruined by a chain smoker next door. I never spent money on a balcony again, until cruise lines began banning the balcony smoking. I am with you, I will not give up on an issue like this. I won't complain about people smoking in their designated areas, but I will raise holy heck if their smoke permeates my smoke free area!

I know from experience how dangerous smoking in undesignated areas can be. We were on a North Sea ferry a few years ago when a drunken passenger decided it would be a good idea to cover the smoke alarm in his cabin and have a cigarette. Unfortunately he fell asleep on his bed and awoke to find his cabin ablaze. Every passenger was then evacuated onto the open deck in the middle of the night in December (no fun I can tell you) for several hours whilst they tackled the blaze and arranged for a rescue helicopter to winch off several smoke affected passengers.

The guy was sentenced to 11 years in prison.

You should have noted that they hogged a pool chair and did not wash their hands entering dining room and you would have covered a bunch of topics. :D :p

Probably had their tips removed also.

Years ago, our 1st balcony experience was ruined by a chain smoker next door. I never spent money on a balcony again, until cruise lines began banning the balcony smoking. I am with you, I will not give up on an issue like this. I won't complain about people smoking in their designated areas, but I will raise holy heck if their smoke permeates my smoke free area!

That's about the same as blaming your neighbor when the fallen leaves from his tree is blown over in your yard by the wind.

That's about the same as blaming your neighbor when the fallen leaves from his tree is blown over in your yard by the wind.

I have to agree with Rich on this one. If you want to use a tree analogy then compare it to your neighbor allowing his dead tree to rot without removing it. When the wind blows it onto your roof you can file a claim against his homeowners policy.

One of the reasons I don't cruise HAL is because their smoking policy is more liberal than Celebrity. When I cruised in an aft sky suite I smelled smoke from the smoking area occasionally. It was not the smokers fault because they were following the rules and I knew the possibility of that occurring when I chose that cabin. However, if someone had been smoking on their balcony I would have complained immediately. 1, you can bet they are throwing their butts into the water to hide the violation 2, it is against the rules.

Really ? I've never choked on a leaf . An to continue this silly analogy , the neighbor was expressly forbidden

by municipal bylaws to plant a tree . :p

What about the "municipal bylaws that expressly forbids deck chair saving, sharing drink packages, violation of dress code, saving seats in the theater, etc? Anybody who complains about people ignoring these are chastised and called whiners. Hence people who complain about smokers violating the "municipal bylaws" automatically qualify as whiners. You shouldn't have a choice on which ones you abide by and which ones you ignore.

Smoking isn't illegal and there is no proof that periodic short exposures to second hand smoke causes health issues.

I am not a smoker.

We think some are being unfair to the cruise line. Yes, they do have a no-smoking rule on balconies (as does just about every other cruise line except for HAL) and even have the right to fine violators or possibly toss them off the ship at the next port. However, just telling Guest Relations (or your steward) that you smell smoke is not always good enough as they need to know from where she blows :). It could be coming from a cabin several doors away or even on another deck. But we do know of one case (on Princess) where somebody complained about their neighbors smoking...but the authorities said they could not find any proof (and they did nothing). So one day, our friend just managed to reach around the barrier (between cabin balconies) and take a picture of their neighbors smoking away. This ended the problem :).

Hank

We think some are being unfair to the cruise line. Yes, they do have a no-smoking rule on balconies (as does just about every other cruise line except for HAL) and even have the right to fine violators or possibly toss them off the ship at the next port. However, just telling Guest Relations (or your steward) that you smell smoke is not always good enough as they need to know from where she blows :). It could be coming from a cabin several doors away or even on another deck. But we do know of one case (on Princess) where somebody complained about their neighbors smoking...but the authorities said they could not find any proof (and they did nothing). So one day, our friend just managed to reach around the barrier (between cabin balconies) and take a picture of their neighbors smoking away. This ended the problem :).

Hank

Hank, it just seems that the authorities want physical evidence with the culprit's DNA. In my case, I visually saw smokers on more than one occasion.