Bad Roll Call?

Project_gal

What would you do when a Roll Call gets nasty?

We all know that, if a normal Cruise Critic thread gets unpleasant, you can report to the moderators and they will do something. They may even step in before anyone makes a report. But what can you do about a Roll Call?

Whatever the moderators do, they cannot influence what happens on board. If someone is removed from a Roll Call, they can still view everything that is said. They can still turn up at anything that has been arranged.

Has anyone found a solution to a problem like this?

I am not saying anything has got that bad, yet, but it has started me thinking ...

PS I appreciate that this is a general question on the Celebrity board but the person in question is not a Celebrity regular and, as far as I can tell, does not frequent this board. I would not want this thread to be moved to a more generic thread where it may be seen.

How difficult...perhaps Host Andy can offer some advice.

As to when you are on the ship, I do suggest you share your concerns with the Captains Club host and the Michael's Club conceirge (I assume you are in a suite!) then they can be a little alert if there are any issues.

You present with warmth and tact on CC. I am sure fellow roll call members both before and on the cruise will support you if you in you usual polite way 'firmly disagree' with any unpleasant comments made...

All the best.

On a couple of occasions I have had to remind people that they are free to disagree with each other, but not to make personal attacks. I have drawn their attention to the community guidelines. That seems to have done the trick.

What would you do when a Roll Call gets nasty?

We all know that, if a normal Cruise Critic thread gets unpleasant, you can report to the moderators and they will do something. They may even step in before anyone makes a report. But what can you do about a Roll Call?

Whatever the moderators do, they cannot influence what happens on board. If someone is removed from a Roll Call, they can still view everything that is said. They can still turn up at anything that has been arranged.

Has anyone found a solution to a problem like this?

I am not saying anything has got that bad, yet, but it has started me thinking ...

PS I appreciate that this is a general question on the Celebrity board but the person in question is not a Celebrity regular and, as far as I can tell, does not frequent this board. I would not want this thread to be moved to a more generic thread where it may be seen.

I understand your question is not so much about the roll call thread but about encountering the person who has created a problem on the thread when on board the ship. I don't think there is much you could do to prevent that from happening. Even if the moderators were able to shut down any given poster on Cruise Critic it wouldn't stop them from 1) creating a new CC identity or 2) showing up for whatever plans had been made for the ship up until the point they were removed from CC.

However I think that people who are "big, bold & bad" on an Internet forum generally are not so vocal or intimidating in person.... It's so easy to type something on a screen...not so easy up close & personal..... at least I hope so... Hopefully you won't have any issues on whatever cruise this concerns..... I would NOT want to worry about something like that when planning a wonderful cruise vacation.:(

Hi Sue, hit the triangle....roll calls and the attitude of them can definitely

be reported. I know it has happened before (over the years) where

CC has actually stepped in and typed a message to the roll call about it.

Goes beyond that, I had a problem with someone once on board. I learned of an upgrade and a cost reduction which this person took advantage of prior to the cruise. Once on board, apparently the spouse did not like Celebrity and the poster was nasty to me as if it was my fault they booked Celebrity.

I swore off roll calls for three cruises after that. Did come back and have met some very nice people. Last cruise to Bermuda got a nice price reduction along with Wine-0. We both bought her drinks at the sailaway party.

Fortunately I have never encountered this on a Roll Call, but would not hesitate to report any nasty behaviour. I do have very recent experience on the forums. I am not long home from my first Azamara cruise, which neither myself not my husband really enjoyed. Not going into it here, but it just wasn't for us. We are Celebrity junkies!. When I commented on the Azamara boards that it was our first and last Azamara cruise, I was told to get off the board and to stop posting. I reported it and the offending

posts were removed.

Every CC poster is entitled to form their own opinions, but should express them in a polite non aggressive manner. Obviously something has upset you, so report it. The mods will decide if it needs dealt with.

Edited by reilly1

Thanks for the responses. The person/people who the behaviour is directed against is not me although I do find the posts objectionable. I tried to make an intervention aimed at encouraging the perpetrator to understand the effect his/her posts were having on other people but it does not seem to have worked - it just resulted in a change of tack, the equivalent of "come on outside and we will deal with it there".

As I may not be the person blamed for the perpetrator being reported, I am reluctant to take that route at this stage. I shall keep a watching brief.

All the best.

Hi Chemmo,

The best advice I can offer, is to make use of the Alert Triangle. This gets our immediate attention. We'll be happy to review the situation, and do whatever possible, to get the Roll Call back on the right track. I'd also like to recommend not getting into arguments with fellow Roll Call members. It's always best to send us an alert, and not engage in the battle.

IMO, the Alert Triangle is the best tool we offer, to keep the Roll Calls everything they should be - which is sharing your excitement about your upcoming cruise, and hopefully helping each other plan your cruise.

For me, the best benefit of the Roll Calls, are the many wonderful friendships I've made with our members !

Hope this is helpful !

Edited by Host Andy

We had one terrible experience over many yrs of posting and cruising..Some roll calls have people with issues ...but this person really was.over the edge...others on the roll call agreed that the person was way out of line and the person started singling me out on the roll call and in other posts.(prefer not to add details)

I should have reported it earlier but tried to just let it die out...it didn,t..that was a mistake on my part.

Moderators finally stepped in and cleaned up the thread but we decided to cancel the cruise in interests of safety..did not want to encounter this person on the cruise.. person seems not to be posting anymore that I am aware of.

Best advice is to hit the triangle!

...I swore off roll calls for three cruises after that. Did come back and have met some very nice people. Last cruise to Bermuda got a nice price reduction along with Wine-0. We both bought her drinks at the sailaway party.

Ah, is that when you "retired" from Cruise Critic? Nevertheless, many of us in the community are glad you came out of retirement when you did.

Also, thanks to LauraS and Host Andy their suggestions.

As to when you are on the ship, I do suggest you share your concerns with the Captains Club host and the Michael's Club conceirge (I assume you are in a suite!) then they can be a little alert if there are any issues.

You present with warmth and tact on CC. I am sure fellow roll call members both before and on the cruise will support you if you in you usual polite way 'firmly disagree' with any unpleasant comments made...

All the best.

Report it here.

Everyone in the roll call needs to not respond/engage on the RC and just carry on the RC as usual. Report all posts that are inappropriate immediately. Generally this person will tire and go away.

Not sure why any of the ship's staff should/would be involved BEFORE anything happens.

My guess is the blowhard will melt into the crowd on the ship.

Don't give this joker any time in your head - have a great time

I've had a roll call (different cruise line) turn ugly in the past. I think mine was a case of two very opinionated (bossy) people not really understanding what the other was trying to say. One lady ended up "withdrawing" from the roll call and forming a splinter group. They had their own little get together and everything.

It was too bad, because it was a good group of people and a fun roll call. I just think people need to remember that tone and intent is easily lost on the internet, and post accordingly.

OP, I did look at your roll call (because I'm nosy!:rolleyes:) and I'm not sure what happened. It was like somebody threw a switch!:eek:

Edited by Cindy

So glad to see that Laura and Andy are confirming Lois R's sound advice to quietly report any problems that arise on the r/c. I've been very lucky to only encounter (for the most part) positive, helpful folks, on all of my RC and X r/c's.:cool:

However, on one r/c, I did get some rather snarky responses, when I pointed out that the rules against naming TA's applied to r/c threads too. In retrospect, I should have just kept my mouth shut, and used the red triangle.:rolleyes: Ended up canceling that cruise, for totally unrelated reasons.

And, as to the understandable concerns that an individual who causes trouble on the thread might cause trouble on-board -- well, that's one of the reasons I'm careful about divulging personal information on the r/c. First names and room categories are about as far as I'm willing to go -- with folks I don't know. Things like e-mail addresses and room numbers are divulged strictly on a "need-to-know" basis.

My advice is to keep things very private. I have a friend who cancelled her cruise because she was terribly bullied on the roll call. Seems a whole group were used to travelling together and they all ganged up on her. When someone supported her they would gang up on them. She started to receive threats that they will find her on board. Others emailed her that they were afraid of the gang leader and would no longer post on the roll call. The moderators did remove this person and the police were involved in tracking him.

It is sad that it happens, so I say dont use your real name, or where you live.

Police also told her that there are thieves that can find you if they have your name and city and will know when you are travelling. They get in touch with someone at that location to rob your house when you are not there.

My advice is to keep things very private. I have a friend who cancelled her cruise because she was terribly bullied on the roll call. Seems a whole group were used to travelling together and they all ganged up on her. When someone supported her they would gang up on them. She started to receive threats that they will find her on board. Others emailed her that they were afraid of the gang leader and would no longer post on the roll call. The moderators did remove this person and the police were involved in tracking him.

It is sad that it happens, so I say dont use your real name, or where you live.

Police also told her that there are thieves that can find you if they have your name and city and will know when you are travelling. They get in touch with someone at that location to rob your house when you are not there.

This is truly a question of curiosity and not argumentative - how can someone find you by knowing only your name and city, particularly if you have a common name and live in a large city?

This is truly a question of curiosity and not argumentative - how can someone find you by knowing only your name and city, particularly if you have a common name and live in a large city?

Many roll calls develop spread sheets with first names and cabin numbers for the voyage. So, finding people on board is rather easy.

Because your past posts here on Cruise Critic can be read, it would not be hard to track a member. If your name is Fred Brown and live in NY NY, you could be found. Because almost everyone gives away little bits of information about themselves on these boards AND on cruises. You never know who is listening.

Also, there many websites available for free or a small fee that would be happy to help.

Sad that anyone should have to worry about this potential problem.:(

This is not just happening here on CC, but on almost all other forums and comment pages of even major web sights. Its happened to me on more than one occasion and yes, one of our cruises had to be canceled. Just because of someone on these boards, we felt it would be just too unpleasant to have them on board ship with us.

In this day of anonymous posting, one can get away with saying things they'd never say in person. As we all know, the general climate is pretty nasty anywhere. On the road driving, in the line at the super market...in the last 10 years its steadily gotten to be a mean world. So sad.

But don't forget here, that you can block that person by going into your User CP...just don't read their comments. Believe me you'll feel a lot better not being able to see them. I have a long list on mine!;)

O for the days of good manners and "slow to speak, eager to listen".

Many roll calls develop spread sheets with first names and cabin numbers for the voyage. So, finding people on board is rather easy.

Yes, of course if you give your cabin number you can be found. I was referring to finding someone at their home. You do not need to give that info to sign up for Cruise Critic, and even with your name and home city, don't see how that would narrow it down enough for anyone to be able to locate you. Don't think anyone short of the FBI might be that technically sophisticated (if it is even possible at all)

Yes, of course if you give your cabin number you can be found. I was referring to finding someone at their home. You do not need to give that info to sign up for Cruise Critic, and even with your name and home city, don't see how that would narrow it down enough for anyone to be able to locate you. Don't think anyone short of the FBI might be that technically sophisticated (if it is even possible at all)

Search your name and home city. You will see many sites that will have the information.

I have several government licences so I see my information immediately.:eek: