Best & Worst MDR Dishes?

The only good indian food we have found has been in the windjammer when the chefs have a bit more artistic licence to cook "off script" the proper dishes.

We've been able to get an Indian entree every night, upon request. They usually have one meat/seafood choice and one vegetarian choice each evening.

My all-time favorite RCCL dish is Chicken and Mushroom Pappardelle. Pasta at its best! Served in MDR, not to be confused with another creamy pappardelle meal served in the Italian specialty restaurant. The one I love has a red sauce. Several years ago (2010) on a transatlantic, this was served for dinner one night, then again a week later as a lunch entrée. On our last TA in May it was served only once at lunch. But very day, early in the am, I went down to Deck 4 to check the menus, searching for it. If you see it, order it -- you will not be disappointed!

I've had pretty good luck with the Prime Rib and LOTS of the horseradish sour cream they dollop on your plate. Wish they could spruce up their vegetable offerings a little bit because those parsnips and carrots and whatnot are kinda bland. Oh and of course the Sourdough rolls, by the end of the week the Assistant waiter never lets me sit without a sourdough roll on my bread plate.

Love love love the escargot. Mmmmm now I'm dreaming of sopping up the garlic butter with some crusty bread! 121 DTG for me ;)

Also love the cold soups as mentioned above. I love to pick items that I wouldn't normally choose at home. There's also a fantastic Grand Marnier soaked cake!

it appears that some of the cold soups will be missing from the new menus. I am not impressed as Strawberry bisques is one of my all time favourites.

The only good indian food we have found has been in the windjammer when the chefs have a bit more artistic licence to cook "off script" the proper dishes.

Chicken marsala isn't Indian...

I mentioned I liked Indian once in the MDR and they brought me a special Indian dinner the next night. It was very good.

Edited by marci22

Favorites: cold fruit soups, pumpkin rolls, braised beef duo, strawberry pavlova, mushroom soup, tomato & mozzerella salad...

Least: Mojo pork chop, lasagna, any of the soggy, spongy desserts

While not bad, have been disappointed with the roast turkey in main dining room.

You just reminded me of two really good dishes. We had a parmesan crusted Turkey breast and a Jalapeno potato soup on Jewel in 2012. They were the two of the best things I've ever eaten on Royal Caribbean and I've never seen it again.

Best Starters: cold fruit soups, escargot, scallops, crab cakes

Best Entrees: beef tenderloin (does not LOOK appealing, but tastes amazing)

Worst Entrees: salmon (I usually like salmon), lasagna

Best Desserts: If they have the Belgian chocolate brownie available, you MUST get it. Best Royal Caribbean dessert ever. Other favorites are bittersweet chocolate souffle, chocolate sensation, and apple strudel

Worst Desserts: Williams pear and chocolate something? Any foamy mousse thing, but not good mousse. If I recall correctly, I ordered some kind of "pudding" once that turned out to be this weird mousse thing.

Favoutites

Bay scallops gratin

Cold soups, particularly the banana rum one.

Garlic tiger shrimp

My wife gets then to put the shrimp from the shrimp cocktail in with her caesar salad.

Key lime pie.

Lobster bisque is too "fishy"

Favoutites

Bay scallops gratin

Cold soups, particularly the banana rum one.

Garlic tiger shrimp

My wife gets then to put the shrimp from the shrimp cocktail in with her caesar salad.

Key lime pie.

Lobster bisque is too "fishy"

My son and I both like your shrimp Caesar salad hack. will try it in the future!

I liked the shrimp cocktail and Caesar salad. The bread is good, too.

I had the chicken breast once because nothing on the menu seemed good to me, and it is a plain chicken breast. No seasoning at all. I guess this is for people who cannot have seasonings. Otherwise, the chicken breast was OK, just bland.

For me, the "worst" title goes to the "Singapore noodles". I had this on both Enchantment and Grandeur. I don't know if this is a fleet-wide problem, but what they called "Singapore noodles" is decidedly NOT that at all.

On both ships, they used a wheat-based noodle and not rice vermicelli. And secondly, there was no curry powder used in the dish. :confused: How is that "Singapore noodles", then??

It was a huge disappointment to me (especially the first time) when what they brought out from the galley was not what it should have been.

I think that both times I ordered it, it was on the lunch menu of the MDR.

Most of the hot soups are very good. My two favorites right now are probably the Moroccan lamb soup and the lentil soup. And the black bean soup. On the salty side, but not as bad as the chicken marsala. :D

About the lobster bisque:

Here is my take:

When I started cruising, this was fantastic. Then one day, I ordered it, and I questioned the waiter as to where he had picked up the soup. Had he mistakenly stopped at the dirty dishwater sink and scooped up some of that?

I then avoided it for quite a long time.

I recently tried it again, at the urging of my waiter.

I think that it's better again.

Give it a try. Let us know what you think.

Chicken marsala isn't Indian...

I mentioned I liked Indian once in the MDR and they brought me a special Indian dinner the next night. It was very good.

I agree, not Indian.

Not sure how true this is but chicken marsala rumoured to originate from Scotland from immigrant chefs who had to make curries for a more delicate palate. Now a UK national dish [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app